Page 44 of 50 FirstFirst ... 3435363738394041424344454647484950 LastLast

Thread: Yittz's Clinic!!

What's the current issue with night-lights cause of myopia controversy, have they settled it yet? What's the news?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.

Medically, can we "freeze" a person so that he/she will not die?

Medically, can one not die?

So ... I have an upper respiratory tract that tends to be more sensitive to airborne pollutants (e.g. haze, etc) than the norm.

1. What are the chances (i.e. high, moderate, low, etc) that an upper respiratory tract infection would quickly follow after I have been exposed to airborne pollutants?

2. If the chances are moderate and above, what actually causes the infection to occur? Is it because of viruses in the air that are just waiting to attack an irritated respiratory tract or what?

3. Upper respiratory tract infections can have cold/flu systems but these may not necessarily be real colds or flus, right? Or are upper respiratory tract infections and colds/flus more or less synonymous?

Many thanks in advance.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    What's the current issue with night-lights cause of myopia controversy, have they settled it yet? What's the news?
    As far i know, the arguement that reading in poor lights leads to short-sightedness is always an urban myth. You guys can correct me though.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej View Post
    Medically, can we "freeze" a person so that he/she will not die?

Medically, can one not die?
    Although this has always been a staple of science fiction, see han solo at the end of empire strikes back , this is not totally unfeasible.

We know that extreme hypothermia can stop the heart from spontaneously beating, and we had known for years that ppl who did not have spontaneous respiration or heart rate after having prolonged hypothermia can be revived successfully.

With these 2 premises, there have been suggestions that we can deep freeze someone and then revive them at a future date. This form of technology has not been tested in humans as yet, and there's a question of the duration that a person can be "stored" in such a manner.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    So ... I have an upper respiratory tract that tends to be more sensitive to airborne pollutants (e.g. haze, etc) than the norm.

1. What are the chances (i.e. high, moderate, low, etc) that an upper respiratory tract infection would quickly follow after I have been exposed to airborne pollutants?

2. If the chances are moderate and above, what actually causes the infection to occur? Is it because of viruses in the air that are just waiting to attack an irritated respiratory tract or what?

3. Upper respiratory tract infections can have cold/flu systems but these may not necessarily be real colds or flus, right? Or are upper respiratory tract infections and colds/flus more or less synonymous?

Many thanks in advance.
    1) Having a runny nose or coryza is not necessarily a sign of infection. While upper respiratory tract infection caused by viruses is the predominant cause, it is also present in a variety of allergic/ectopic illnesses.

2) Having an inflamed airway does predispose to further infection, certainly there's changes in your airway reactivity and actions of the airway immune system.

Han Solo
    P/s: Apologizes to the late replies, trapped in rural place with no internet.
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by Suet Seung View Post
    What makes people's hair curly? Something in the genes? Is it possible for Asians to have naturally wavy/curly hair? My cousin who's half-Asian and half-white, he has naturally curly hair for some reason, so he keeps it short and gelled.
    Yes, it is possible for asians to have curly hair - see indians etc.

It is genetic that determines that, same as the color of your eyes, your ability to roll your tongue etc.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

There's a black spot on my big toe nail, which I presume is a blood clot. It's not really very big, just big enough for people to ask me what did I drop on my toe. Should I do anything about it or just let the nail grow out? I've heard people poking an needle through their nail to get the stuff out, that sounds really painful.

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts View Post
    There's a black spot on my big toe nail, which I presume is a blood clot. It's not really very big, just big enough for people to ask me what did I drop on my toe. Should I do anything about it or just let the nail grow out? I've heard people poking an needle through their nail to get the stuff out, that sounds really painful.
    I've done the blood-letting thingy a few times. Usually, I do it when I stub a toe and the clot forms quite quickly in the flesh beside the nail (but not inside/under the nail itself). If I see the clot early enough (within 24 hours), poke it and squeeze the blood out, the pain associated with the stubbing is usually gone shortly after (within hours). If I let the clot go away naturally, the pain might last for a few days. I'm not sure what's at work here, so it's good to hear what our esteemed docs Han and yittz can enlighten us about this practice, if it can be called that in the first place.
    Jin Yong's Ode to Gallantry [侠客行].
    Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    what about SPT, I need my SPT fix ASAP, pretty pleaseeeee...
    Soon ... SOON!

Quote Originally Posted by beansprouts View Post
    I get that all the time, particularly if i'm wearing a pair of shoes that is not well fitting for sports.

You can get pain if there's pressure under the nail with the blood collection, this is known as subungual hematoma. In order to relieve this pressure, either use a metal paper clip that is heated up, and slowly drill into the nail. It will be slightly pressure and painful initially, but after releasing the pressure, you will feel much better. I tend to use needle (sterile needles that ppl use to get bloods).

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Quote Originally Posted by HuangYushi View Post
    I've done the blood-letting thingy a few times. Usually, I do it when I stub a toe and the clot forms quite quickly in the flesh beside the nail (but not inside/under the nail itself). If I see the clot early enough (within 24 hours), poke it and squeeze the blood out, the pain associated with the stubbing is usually gone shortly after (within hours). If I let the clot go away naturally, the pain might last for a few days. I'm not sure what's at work here, so it's good to hear what our esteemed docs Han and yittz can enlighten us about this practice, if it can be called that in the first place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    I get that all the time, particularly if i'm wearing a pair of shoes that is not well fitting for sports.

You can get pain if there's pressure under the nail with the blood collection, this is known as subungual hematoma. In order to relieve this pressure, either use a metal paper clip that is heated up, and slowly drill into the nail. It will be slightly pressure and painful initially, but after releasing the pressure, you will feel much better. I tend to use needle (sterile needles that ppl use to get bloods).

Han Solo
    Thanks for the help.

The clot is under the nail, somewhere in the centre. I don't feel any pain unless I apply pressure to the spot. I really doubt I can bring myself to drill a heated paper clip (or needle, or any sharp object) into my nail. Will faint from the horror before I can squeezed the blood out. I was hoping there will be a painless way to do it really Guess I just have to wait for the nail to grow out.

... either use a metal paper clip that is heated up, and slowly drill into the nail.
    Drill a hot metal clip into the nail?! For real?! What do you do to fill the "hole" afterwards?!
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

In order to relieve this pressure, either use a metal paper clip that is heated up, and slowly drill into the nail.
    OMG...

I surely would not be able to do this. Would have already fainted by the sight of the needle/sharpened paperclip.

Quote Originally Posted by expression View Post
    Drill a hot metal clip into the nail?! For real?! What do you do to fill the "hole" afterwards?!
    Your nail is made of dead tissue and have no nerve ending, so there's there's no sensation when you use the metal clip to touch the nail.

Regarding the hole, it will be a hole for a while, but will be filled up later on.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Yes, it is possible for asians to have curly hair - see indians etc.

It is genetic that determines that, same as the color of your eyes, your ability to roll your tongue etc.

Han Solo
    I remember in my first biology class my teacher used that as an example of Mendelian genetics, with the two alleles and the tongue-rolling being the dominant one...however if it were that simple, then my parents have been lying to me for a pretty long time, as I can roll my tongue while neither of my parents can. Similarly, I don't think either of my parents have dimples (unless they're not very noticeable) and that's also supposed to be dominant. I'm too short not to belong to my parents though, so am I a genetic mutation?
    I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I'm awake, you know? -Ernest Hemingway

Dear Doctor,

Yesterday I participated in a 2-hour long dragon dance practice. For part of the time, I worked the dragon head, which was the heaviest part of the dragon. At the time I was worn out, but did not feel any pain. Couple of hours later I began to feel a sharp pain in my left abdomen area (see image below for exact spot).

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=5007&stc=1&d=120941885 7')

The pain is constant and evident. It does not affect me much (but I can feel it) when I'm sitting down. However the pain is sharp when I try to stand up straight. I am having a hard time walking at normal pace, or doing anything standing up.

The pain is not bothering me when sneezing.

I don't know if it's just a muscle issue (I don't use my abdomen with such vigor often) or something more serious. Any tips?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by PJ; 04-28-08 at 06:05 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

It sounds like you have srained your muscles during the dragon dance.

Suggests 1) rest, 2) Paracetamol, 3) Non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs such as voltaren, 4) Heat packs may be useful.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Now that the Allergy season is upon us(USA), first time I've heard of Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Techniques (NAET) and sounds tooo good to be true....any truth? So far sounds like witchcraft to me.

It's the third technique in the vid.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001...02183#30102183"
    Due to several complaints, I will stop using the terms "Babe" and "Baby" in reference to our female counterpart. They will now be replaced with "B*tch."

SPCNET Karaoke Corner

Quote Originally Posted by oGaKirA View Post
    Now that the Allergy season is upon us(USA), first time I've heard of Nambudripad's Allergy Elimination Techniques (NAET) and sounds tooo good to be true....any truth? So far sounds like witchcraft to me.

It's the third technique in the vid.
    http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/22425001...02183#30102183"
    There's only one case report of it that was on a quick pubmed search.

Usually this meant that the method is not the conventional one and has yet to be extensively studied.

I don't know much about alternative medicine- so i would be hesitant to comment much about it.

In general, the treatment of allergy consist of symptoms control with antihistamines and steroids, prevention of triggers and desensitization therapy.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Troll Control

Once in a while,when your leg goes numb or you feel like a bunch of needles in your leg and the feeling usually goes away when you shake your leg and allow blood to circulate or whatever. What's the specific term for this excruciating feeling?
    I just love how you Captivate My Mind

Self reminder - Update blog more often and continue editing/writing for TOV fanfic.