Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Guo Xiang (HSDS Ch 1&2 Translation)

Originally posted by Noodles
    Yang Guo just taught him four stances when they met at mount Hua.
    four stances of what? 9 Yin? i didnt know that
    "Power tends to corrup and absolute power corrupt absolutely" ~ Lord Acton

The novel didn't specify. It could have been anything from Quan Zhen, Ancient Tomb, Nine Yin or something he invented.

Zhang JunBao wanted to search Yin Ke Xi for the 9 yang manual but he didn't know martial arts and was hit a few times by Yin Ke Xi and eventually got kicked away and he rolled to Yang Guo. Yang Guo wanted to help him and taught him a few stances to fight back. Yin Ke Xi saw the stances and commented that they were indeed refined.
    I'm worse at what I do best
    And for this gift I feel blessed

Default .

I think my language was worded bad. I know he didnt go find Guo Jing. I was just wondering how things would have turned out if he found GJ and was taught dragon palms or 9 Yin.

Added to his talent and 60% of 9 Yang. He would have been formidable.

well if Zhang JunBao visited GJ or even YG. he would be...how would i put it...INVINCIBLE!!!!!!

Cool

there might never have been Zhang sanfeng then since Junbao would probably stay with GJ to defend Xiangyang and needless to say could perish with the Guo family or end up marrying someone and start a family.

He might turn out a great martial master but not as great as he has as Wudang's master, IMO.
    "History's third dimension is always fiction."
    -- The Glass Bead Game, Hermann Hesse

how can you say that? considering that GJ and YG are both consider GREAT martial artists. how can Zhang JunBao is worse? i mean he will be able to learn 9 Yin, 18 Dragon Subduing Palms, Sad Palm, and many other skills that YG has. i would think that Zhang JunBao has the same personality as GJ so it will be a piece of cake for him to learn 18 Dragon Subduing Palm or the Left/Right Palm. With his great abilities to make new martial arts. the possibilities are endless. considering that Zhang JunBao already has a pretty good amount of internal energy in himself already from learning 9Yang

Cool

My meaning is that ZJB was talented and would surely become a great master and no doubt would learn all great arts of GJ and YG. However, I think by doing that would only limit his horizontal of learning. As we knew, GJ was not the best of the teachers, and I rather doubt that YG would leave his XLN to mess with a new disciple.

ZJB might turn out a great hero with GJ, but only by spending time by himself and grew wise in nature, he could become the Z3F of HSDS. Not sure if I have explained myself here, but I just want to point out that by learning from scratch and by one's self might turn out better than under a great master's tutelage for one would restrict himself only to the art of his teacher.

Default .

The intriging part is that if GJ teaches him 9 Yin. It was noted by
    Guo Xiang that 9yang and 9yin seemed to have completely different philosopies. So if he managed to blend both the result
    might have been astounding.

He doesnt have to stay with GJ all his life. If GJ could learn Dragon Palm in less then a year and memorize 9 yin, Z3F should be able to learn enough and leave XiangYang before it falls in 10 years. That still leaves him with 70+ years to blend 9 yang/yin and come up with taichi and goodness knows what other crazy skills.

Btw, its fun digging up old threads! Muahaha!

Wow, finally got around to reading these translations of yours Athena and I just wanted to thank you so much for doing them!!! I enjoyed reading about Guo Xiang and you did wonderfully!!!!!
    Yesterday's History,
    Tomorrow's a Mystery,
    Today's a Gift,
    That’s why we call it,
    The Present.

Default Re: .

Originally posted by CC
    The intriging part is that if GJ teaches him 9 Yin. It was noted by
    Guo Xiang that 9yang and 9yin seemed to have completely different philosopies. So if he managed to blend both the result
    might have been astounding.

He doesnt have to stay with GJ all his life. If GJ could learn Dragon Palm in less then a year and memorize 9 yin, Z3F should be able to learn enough and leave XiangYang before it falls in 10 years. That still leaves him with 70+ years to blend 9 yang/yin and come up with taichi and goodness knows what other crazy skills.

Btw, its fun digging up old threads! Muahaha!
    But taking ZJB's personality and GJ's morale, it is more possible that ZJB would probably remain at Xiang Yang to help GJ against Mongol....

Default Re: Re: .

Originally posted by Goofy
    But taking ZJB's personality and GJ's morale, it is more possible that ZJB would probably remain at Xiang Yang to help GJ against Mongol....
    Perhaps that's why Jinyong didn't let him go to Xiangyang.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Thumbs up

Hi, Athena! I just landed on this thread tonight, and I want to thank you for translating this wonderful part of HSDS. Hopefully, you will get this message, since I don't think you frequent this forum that often anymore. I never realized Guo Xiang had a part in HSDS until now. And the hint of a love triangle among Guo Xiang, He ZuDao and Zhang SanFeng is so interesting! I wish Jin Yong had devoted a complete novel to their story, because I find He ZuDao and Zhang SanFeng to be way cooler than Zhang Wuji. I know everyone loves Zhang SanFeng, but after reading these two chapters, I am developing a fondness for He ZuDao. He sounds so capable and cool. Plus, he's older than Guo Xiang, unlike SanFeng, who's younger by 3 years. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer the guy to be older than the girl.

Originally posted by Melanie
    Hi, Athena! I just landed on this thread tonight, and I want to thank you for translating this wonderful part of HSDS. Hopefully, you will get this message, since I don't think you frequent this forum that often anymore. I never realized Guo Xiang had a part in HSDS until now. And the hint of a love triangle among Guo Xiang, He ZuDao and Zhang SanFeng is so interesting! I wish Jin Yong had devoted a complete novel to their story, because I find He ZuDao and Zhang SanFeng to be way cooler than Zhang Wuji. I know everyone loves Zhang SanFeng, but after reading these two chapters, I am developing a fondness for He ZuDao. He sounds so capable and cool. Plus, he's older than Guo Xiang, unlike SanFeng, who's younger by 3 years. Call me old fashioned, but I prefer the guy to be older than the girl.
    Me too, Melanie! I prefer the guy to be older than the girl!

Originally posted by Guo Xiang Me too, Melanie! I prefer the guy to be older than the girl!
    Then I guess there's no hope for poor Zhang SanFeng? But that's ok. I prefer He ZuDao, anyway.

Anyone saw the movie TaiChi Master starring Jet Li?

The story there was kinda different. The character Zhang Jun Bao was a Shaolin monk expelled with his best friend Tian Bao from Shaolin for breaking some rules.

Tian Bao joined some bad guys army (i cant remember who's. Can anyone help?), and betrayed his friends, who were slaughtered. Jun Bao went crazy with grief.

He was crazy for 3 times a day, which is why his friends called him San Feng (literally 'Three Crazy'). He later developed Tai Chi and used it to kill Tian Bao and defeat the baddies.

Quote Originally Posted by Homura
    Anyone saw the movie TaiChi Master starring Jet Li?

The story there was kinda different. The character Zhang Jun Bao was a Shaolin monk expelled with his best friend Tian Bao from Shaolin for breaking some rules.

Tian Bao joined some bad guys army (i cant remember who's. Can anyone help?), and betrayed his friends, who were slaughtered. Jun Bao went crazy with grief.

He was crazy for 3 times a day, which is why his friends called him San Feng (literally 'Three Crazy'). He later developed Tai Chi and used it to kill Tian Bao and defeat the baddies.
    But this is a vastly different movie... For one, it isn't related to Jinyong novels at all. This is just another movie telling how Zhang Sanfeng came about, but is 101% unrelated to the novels.