Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast

Thread: DGSD (first edition) - 'The Last Chapter (Chapter 50)

Default DGSD (first edition) - 'The Last Chapter (Chapter 50)

There are so many debates about Xiao Feng being a coward and taking the easier way out when he committed suicide at the end of Demi Gods & Semi Devils (Tian Long Ba Bu) to prevent the escalating war between Liao and Song.

The way I see it after reading the last chapters of TLBB again, XF was INDEED not a coward. In fact, he was a true hero. He sacrificed his life for the lives of millions and millions of Liao and Song citizens for many years to come

Considering the code of ethics and honor at the time, his final act is perhaps almost unsurpassable by any other Jin Yong main characters, but at the same time, tragic.

So...here it is... it's my attempt to translate the last chapter of Tian Long Ba Bu (from the first edition which has been translated to Indonesian by Gan K.L.).

Please note that the Indonesian version I have changed the original 50-chapters novel into 43 chapters. Either by shortening some passages in previous chapters or compiling them into larger chapters.

I have double-checked this chapter with the Chinese version, this is chapter 43 in the Indonesian version but it's chapter 50 in Chinese version.

All the character's names, places, techniques, terms, etc will be kept as they are, in Romanized Hokkienese. I will try to make references for the names in Mandarin Pinyin if I have time, but my main goal is to finish it. If any of you know both dialects, feel free to fill in and give me the pin yin names.

My translation will start from an attempt to rescue XF until the end of TLBB.

Have fun reading
    Last edited by Temujin; 09-28-04 at 01:29 PM.

Alright now, before I begin with my translation (which will be slow by the way) here is a list of important names and terms conversion from Mandarin to Hokkienese to make it easier for you guys, since most people here know the Mandarin Pinyin spelling.

The most important names are Siau Hong, Toan Ki, and Hi Tiok (XF, DY & XZ).

MANDARIN --------- HOKKIENESE

Tian Long Ba Bu - Thian Liong Pat Poh
    Xiao Feng - Siau Hong
    Duan Yu - Toan Ki
    Xu Zhu - Hi Tiok
    Liu Mai ShenJian - Lak mek sin kiam
    Wang Yu Yan - Ong Giok Yan (Giok Yan)
    Murong Bo - Bujung Bok
    Murong Fu - Bujung Hok
    Jiu Mo Zhi - Tjiumoti
    Xiao Yao Pai - Siau Yau Pai
    Ah Zi - Ah Tji
    Ah Zhu - Ah Tju
    Ling Bu Wei Bo - Leng poh wi poh
    Zhong Ling - Tjiong Ling
    MuwanQing - Bok Wan-djing
    Last edited by Temujin; 09-02-04 at 05:19 PM.

Senior Member Du Gu seeking a win's Avatar

Default Re: DGSD (first edition) - Last Several Chapters translation

Originally posted by Temujin

So...here it is... it's my attempt to translate the last chapter of Tian Long Ba Bu (from the first edition which has been translated to Indonesian by Gan K.L.).

[i]Please note that this is chapter 43 in the Indonesian version, I am not sure what chapters this will cover in the official Chinese second-edition, but it might be more than one last chapters (but could also be the same one last chapter) of TLBB.

I think you meant VOLUME - not chapters. The Indonesian translations of JY's works (by OKT & GKL) doesn't ever mention/divide in chapters.

Default Re: Re: DGSD (first edition) - Last Several Chapters translation

Originally posted by Du Gu seeking a win
    I think you meant VOLUME - not chapters. The Indonesian translations of JY's works (by OKT & GKL) doesn't ever mention/divide in chapters.
    The problem is Volume normally consists of many chapters, and although the direct translation of the word 'jilid' in Indonesian can be roughly translated as 'volume' it could create a confusion, if I said volume 43.

Volume just seems to be larger way of dividing a huge story.

Chapter just sounds more appropriate since its length is closer to what can be called as a chapter. I guess I'll stick with it for now. It's the basically the last chapter of DGSD Indonesian translated version.
    Last edited by Temujin; 09-03-04 at 01:17 PM.

*** I will try to put pinyin spelling in brackets to the best of my knowldege, as I said in the beginning of the thread, my goal is to finish it as my ultimate purpose is for people/readers to see Xiao Feng's true character

PLEASE ALSO NOTE that this is ONLY a ROUGH TRANSLATION
    as I am doing it in my leisure time, perhaps mostly on the fly.

So don't expect professional-quality translation like those novels done by Lanny, Noodles, Moin, Meh, Athena or Becky

------- page 1

DEMI GODS & SEMI DEVILS

THIAN LIONG PAT POH (TIAN LONG BA BU)

Author/Written by : Chin Yung (Jin Yong)
    Translated into Indonesian by : Gan KL

CHAPTER 43 (CHAPTER 50 in Chinese Version)

Meanwhile the darkness had fallen, several military guards were busy lighting up the torches around the little room (where XF is being held).

Because of the light from the torches, Siau Hong (XIAO FENG) was able to see the writings on the paper that was opened. The writings with very small characters said "Help has arrived, tonight you will be rescued from danger"

Siau Hong sniffed without saying a word, only his head was shaking.

But A Tji (AH ZI) immediately said affectedly "The troops that we sent out this time are not small in number, our soldiers are valiant and our ration are sufficient enough, victories are assured wherever our troops arrive, do not be afraid"

"No, because I do not want to cause much suffering of human lives, therefore I have been held in captivity here by Hongsiang (refering to the King of Liao, his sworn brother)" said Siau Hong

"To win a war, the most important factors are great calculation and brilliant strategies, you should not think about the many lives that would be sacrificed" A Tji responded.

Siau Hong tried to take a glance at the three other companions (of Ah Zi). It looked like among them, there was one who was waving his fan, another was flicking his long sleeves furtively as if he was afraid someone would recognize their true identities. It was evident that they were the rescuers brought in by A Tji.

Taking a long deep breath, Siau Hong then said,

"Yes, I am very thankful of your kind intention, but please be cautioned that the security is tight and highly enforced, to escape from this area will not be an easy task …………."

Before he couldn't even finish his sentence, suddenly a couple of security guards were screaming in shocks.

"Heyyyy…. Snakes ! Poisonious Snakes !"

"Where did all these poisonous snakes come from ?!"

When Siau Hong turned around, he saw snakes were crawling everywhere from the door's gap, window's chinks, and the whole floor in the room was filled by poisonious snakes. These snakes were crawling everywhere from every direction with their heads standing up and pulling their tongues in and out. The situation in that room became very chaotic and the soldiers were running around trying to avoid the snakes.

Siau Hong's heart was touched "Looking at these clues, it seems like these snakes were released by my brothers from Kay Pang (Gai Bang - the beggar union)!"

In the mean time, all the soldiers who were supposed to guard Siau Hong were trying to use their weapons to kill and push aside all those poisonous snakes. Even the Commandant of the guards said "Those soldiers who are supposed to guard Siau-tayong (XIAO FENG) are not allowed to go anywere, those who disobey will be executed by death penalty"

---- end of page 1
    Last edited by Temujin; 10-21-04 at 01:40 PM.

that's it ? more more

----- page 2

Apparently, the Commandant was quite intellegent, he noticed how suspicious and out-of-the ordinary the situation was. He was afraid that the guards would become confused handling that many snakes and Siau Hong would use the opportunity to escape.

Because of his command, the guards,who had been in charged around the cage (where XF is being held), imperatively forced themselves to not make any stupid move (to run away). The guards kept on pointing the tips of their spears on Siau Hong who's growling inside the cage. But they were quite apprehended themselves, as while threatening at Siau Hong, their eyes had to be simultaneously focused on the snakes, whenever there was a snake closing in they had to kill it.

While the situation was becaming more frantic, suddenly there was another huge noise heard from the back of the palace.

"Fire !!! Fire !!!!"

"It's on fire !!! It's on fire !!!"

"Help ! Fire !!! Help !!!!"

Instantly, The Commandant shouted "Kahur, let's report what's happening to the commander, ask him whether Siau Tayong should be relocated or not ?"

The person who's called Kahur was a Pek-hu-Tiang (a leader of one hundred soldiers, his rank was similar to a Captain). He nodded his head and turned around. He was just about to walk rush out to fulfill his duty, when suddenly someone yelled at him in front of the room door. "Everyone. Stay where you are. Do not fall for the enemy's trap. Beware ! If you see there is any person try to attack this place, Siau Hong immediately must be killed first!"

Evidently the person who was yelling was the Commander of the military whom the Captain was trying to talk to.

Apparently, suddenly a goldenish shadow flew by very fast, a little golden snake floated upward and stroke the Commander. Constantly the Commander tried to hit the snake with his weapon, but suddenly a twirlzing sound of secret weapons being thrown could be heard, and the room immeditately became pitch black. Obviously there was someone who threw projectiles to turn off the torches.

Then there was a extremely frightening loud scream heard coming from the Commander. He had been biten by the golden snake and rolling on the ground. Collapsed.

Evidently, one of the the four people (who tried to persuade XF to escape earlier, one of them was Ah Zi) he saw early was Tjiong Ling (ZHONG LING) who was in disguise. She had released her Kim-leng-tju (the golden snake) and had succesfully disabled the Commander.

Without thinking twice, A Tji pulled out the mighty sabre and she instantly cut off the the metal chains that connected Siu Hong's handcuffs.

Just when Siau Hong felt doubtful whether he could escape from the super strong metal cage, suddenly the ground on the bottom of the metal cage where he was standing felt hollow and his body plunged downward.

He heard A Tji said outside the cage with bated voice "Let's get out from the underground tunnel!"

And even before Siau Hong's feet touched the ground, suddenly he felt both of his legs had been grabbed by a pair of hands, keep pulling him downward. When he was finally able to stand up straight, he saw that the person who pulled him down was Hoa Hek-Kin (HUA HEGEN), the grave digger expert from Tayli (DA LI).

Apparently, Hoa Hek-Kin had been working dilligently for many many days and finally succesful in digging up and making the underground tunnel that penetrated directly underneath the metal cage, where Siau Hong was captivated.

-------- end of page 2
    Last edited by Temujin; 09-30-04 at 01:56 PM.

I was able to do a quick translation while waiting for my next flight.

Enjoy...

----- page 3

Hoa Hek-Kin (HUA HEGEN) immediately pulled Siau Hong back and crawled backward to get out from that tunnel. Hoa Hek-Kin was crawling really fast. The way he crawled was not slower than when a normal person walk on the ground at all. In an instant, tens of meters inside the tunnel had been passed, then he finally told Siau Hong to stand up and get out from the hole (at the end of the tunnel).

It turned out that three other people were waiting at the end of the tunnel. They were Toan Ki (DUAN YU), Hoan Hwa (FAN HUA), and Pah-Thian-Sik (pin yin ?). As soon as he (DUAN YU) saw Siau Hong was being safely helped to escape out from the hole, Toan Ki greeded him while launching his body forward to hug his big brother.

Siau Hong tapped on Toan Ki's back and said while laughing "Today is the first time I saw the superior technique of brother Hoa (the digger), I am so amazed of your skills and extremely thankful."

"Siaudjin (my humble self) is flattered of your praise" replied Hoa Hek-Kin with pleasure. But their location was not too far from the Lam-ih Tay-Ong's (The Prince of the Southern Region, XIAO FENG) palace, so soon the loud shouts and yells from Liao soldiers were heard almost everywhere. Then sounds of people blowing trumpets could be heard and there were shoutings from behind the house "Watch out! The enemies have attacked the Eastern Gate, palace guards (the special force that protect the King) must stay where they are stationed at and should be react cautiously."

"Siau-Tayong (PRINCE XIAO), let's break through from the Western Gate." said Hoa Hek-Hin, who is also a Great Strategist of the Da Li Kingdom.

Just even before Siau Hong was able to answer, suddenly loud exhuberant and happy voice from Ah Tji could be heard from inside the hole where the underground tunnel was. "Tjihu (Brother in Law), wait for me !" she yelled. Soon, she jumped out like a swift rabbit from the the hole. Her (Ah Zi) chin was still decorated with fake beard, her face was full of dirts, which looked very filthy. But in Siau Hong's eyes, ever since he met A Tji, this was the only time A Tji looked the most beautiful.

A Tji instantly took out her mighty sabre to cut off Siau Hong's handcuffs, but the handcuffs was stuck to close to Siau Hong's hands. A slight miss from her would surely injure Siau Hong. So she was quite hesitant about it. Finally, she gave her weapon to Toan Ki and asked him "Koko (GE GE - older brother), Why don't you please cut it off ?"

Toan Ki then lifted up the sabre and channeled his inner power. He was able to cut off the metal handcuffs without too much efforts, like cutting off a piece of wood.

Meanwhile, three more people had come out from the underground tunnel. The first one was Tjong Ling (ZHONG LING), then it was Bok Wan-Djing (MU WANQING), and the third person was a an Eight-Pocket-ranked Kay-pang (GAI PANG) member (Could someone tell me a better translation for this ?)

That Kay-Pang member was a Snakes-Calling Expert, the group of snakes that filled up the entire room earlier was the result of his successful work.

To finally able to to see Siau Hong was rescued without any scratches, the Eight-Pocket ranked Kay-Pang member was crying. His eyes were soaked in tears

"PangTju (BANG ZHU - leader), all this time you…."

At this point he couldn't continue his sentence because of the tremendous joy and emotion.

It's been a long time since Siau Hong last heard anyone ever called him "Pang tju" No matter how tough he was, he was nevertheless still touched to see how extremely loyal the Kay-Pang member was to him. Then he said with hoarse voice "I am absolutely thankful of your kind help."

-------- end of page 3
    Last edited by Temujin; 12-13-04 at 12:25 PM.

Thank you Temujin.

Keep up the good work.

I don't read Chinese and I want to know how the story ends in the novel.

Another quick update here, a page of rough translation. Enjoy the weekend.

--------- page 4

Hearing Siau Hong's praises, the Eight-Pocket Ranked Gai Pang member was overwhelmed with tremendous pride and emotion. He couldn't resist the tears from flowing from his eyes like rain.

"Friends, we have started to move at the Eastern Gate, let's get out of here while the situation is still in chaos!" suggested by Hoan Hwa (FAN HUA). "And it's best if Siau Tayong doesn’t show himself up so that the enemy won't recognize him."

Siau Hong nodded after hearing the suggestion. They immediately proceeded forward through the front door. When Siau Hong turned around, he saw the house where they got out from was a damaged, abandoned house. A house that wouldn't draw too much attention when seen from the outside.

Since A Tji had more or less mastered the Tjidan (khitan) language, she then shouted repeatedly "Fire ! Fire ! Help us. It's on fire !"

Hearing what A Tji just shouted, soon Hoan Hwa and Hoa Hek Khin copied what she shouted and began shouting as well.

Pah Thian-Sik had a tremendous ginkang (hinggong), so if he saw there was no Liao soldiers nearby, he immediately started the fire so that in a matter of minutes, there were numerous places starting to burn on fire again.

The nine of them were running nonstop toward the Western Gate. Toan Ki and others had disguised themselves as Khitan people. Since the situation inside the city had become really chaotic, nobody really did pay any attention to them. Whenever the cavalaries were seen nearby, they always managed to hide in the corners of some alleys where no one was around and very dark to avoid direct confrontation.

After a while they were able to passed through numerous blocks inside the city. Then the sound of trumpets could be heard from the North side of the city, followed by the yells and screams of crowd,

"Alas ! The enemy soldiers have penetrated through the North Gate, Hongsiang (THE KING OF LIAO) had been captured by the enemy! Hongsiang had been captured by the enemy !"

Off course Siau Hong was shocked to hear this news, he stopped and asked "Is it true that the King of Liao has been captured ? Samte, the King of Liao is my Sworn Brother, eventhough he is not loyal to me, but how can I ever forget his kindness, so….. so please don't you people hurt him … "

"Tjihu don't need to worry," said A Tji while laughing.

"The rumors about him being captured is our trick that had been spread out by our Tong-Tju (pin yin?) from Leng-Tjiu-Kiong (LENG JIU GONG) to confuse the enemy. The fact is the city of Lamkhia (NANJING) is guarded by strong imperial guards, their King is surrounded by thousands of guards. It won't be an easy task to capture him."

"Oh I see, so Djite's (referring to XU ZHU) followers have also arrived ?" Siau Hong asked shockingly but also glad.

"Not only The Little Monk's followers have arrived, even the Little Monk himself has also arrived, he even brought along his wife with him this time" said A Tji

"Who's Little Monk ? And who's his wife ?" Siau Hong was confused

"Have Tjihu forgotten ?" replied A Tji smiling. "The Little Monk is Hi-tiok-tju (XU ZHU), his wife is none other than the daughter from Se he (XI XIA) Emperial Kingdom whom he had won during the marriage competition a short while ago. The only thing is the Princess always covers her face with veil so that other than The Little Monk, no other person is allowed to see her face. When I asked the Little Monk: How does she look like ? Is she beautiful or not ? The Little Monk only smiled a little bit and never said a word."

----- end of page 4
    Last edited by Temujin; 12-13-04 at 12:27 PM.

Lamkhia = Nanjing (pin yin)

Se he = XiXia (pin yin)

Quote Originally Posted by andrea7974
    Lamkhia = Nanjing (pin yin)

Se he = XiXia (pin yin)
    Thank you

keep up the good work.... i am curious... why did u choose to start from Chapter 43??

Talking yaaaa

i,m new here
    can u start from first
    zhao weizhou xun 4 eva

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy1972
    keep up the good work.... i am curious... why did u choose to start from Chapter 43??
    Thanks, it's just a rough translation.

I think I've stated why chose to translate only Chapter 43 from Indonesian translated version (which is the last chapter [or more] of the original 50 chapters in the second edition Chinese version). It's purely to show the readers how expectional and heroic Xiao Feng's character is like.

IMHO, he is unsurpassable by any other characters. This last chapter shows his true character and how he thinks and judge others. His self-sacrificing moment is the ultimate tragedy in Jin Yong universe.

Quote Originally Posted by Putrihuanzhu
    i,m new here
    can u start from first
    I think Moin has translated the first 4-5 chapters of this novel. There are other translations scattered here, mainly on the big fights in Shaolin temple, which is the highlight of this novel. I really don't intend to translate the whole novel. This is the longest Jin Yong novel btw.

If I ever have time in the future, I will translate the Well-scene just to show people how Wang Yu Yan changed her heart to Duan Yu and so that you can compare it to the crappy adaptations so far.
    Last edited by Temujin; 09-27-04 at 08:10 AM.

waiting with bated breathe

------- page 5

Eventhough he was in a middle of an escape, but to suddenly hear all these shockingly good news, Siau Hong undoubtedly felt grateful that Hi-Tiok (XU ZHU) was able to court the Princess from Se He (XI XIA). Subconsiously, he took a glance at Toan Ki.

As known earlier, when they together went to Se He (XI XIA) to take parts in the Marriage Competition, Siau Hong had already left the Kingdom before the result had been announced.

Obviously Toan Ki knew how his big brother (XIAO FENG) felt, and jokingly said "Toako (Big Brother) don't have to worry, because Siaute (Small, younger brother referring to himself) don't feel uncomfortable of the result. Djiko (Second brother, refering to XU ZHU) also had broken promises countless times. This matter is rather time consuming to tell right now, let me explain it to you slowly later."

While talking, they have run quite far into a particular direction. There was a huge podium on fire in the middle of the big square right in front of them. The fire was burning wildly. Two standing flags that was tied onto the poles were almost completely burnt out by fire.

Siau Hong knew that the big square was the largest square in the city of Lamkhia. It was often used to train Liao soliders in the art of marching. But no one really knew when the big podium was built, he himself didn't know it either.

"Your Majesty, after the big podium has burnt down to the ground and the flags of Liao kingdom have burnt out, it would be a bad omen for the Liao military, maybe their plans to attack the Song Empire has to be reconsidered by Yalu Hung-Ki (YELUI HONG JI - The King of Liao)." said PahThian-Sik while laughing.

Hearing Thian-Sik used the word "Your Majesty" and seeing Toan Ki was nodding his head, off course Siau Hong was stunned. He immediately asked "Samte, Have you…. Have you become the King ?"

Toan Ki answered it dispassionately "Yes, Father had passed away suddenly and on the way back home, my Uncle had left the Kinghood and became a Monk in Thian-Liong-Si (The Heavenly Dragon Temple), therefore Siaute had been asked to be the next King. Actually, Siaute doesn't really have any skills at all, it's so shameful for me to get enacted for his high position."

"Ai, Samte!" exclaimed Siau Hong astonishedly. "You are now the King of Dali Kingdom, how can you just casually go through all these dangers for my safety sake ? If something happens, how can I ever take the responsibility to your people and your Da Li kingdom ?"

Toan Ki laughed, then said "Da Li is only a small Kingdom, remotely located in the South. The word of 'Your Majesty' is only an unnecessary formal gesture, when looking at myself, I don’t think I deserve to be a King. This only makes me feel embarassed. Our relationship is more than real, blood-related brotherhood, if Big Brother is in trouble, How could I just stay back without trying to help ?"

"Not to mention that Siau-Tayong had tried to stop the King of Liao from starting a war with the Kingdom of Song, because of this all the citizens of our Da Li kingdom felt so grateful to you ," added Thian-Sik in the conversation.

"Please be informed, that if the King of Liao is succesful in beating the Kingdom of Song, then the second step will be most likely to take over Da Li as well. Our kingdom is small and weak, there is no way for us to defend against the strong and valiant Liao soldiers ? This means that Siau-Tayong had saved the Kingdom of Song which automatically means you have also helped our Da Li Kingdom. If a Da Li citizen sacrifices all his power to assist Siau-Tayong now, it is certainly his call of duty."

"I am just a one person who only knows martial arts, because I do not have the heart to let these two kingdoms fight against each other and cause many innocent victims to lose their lives. How can I take the credits just because of only a little effort from me ? Siau Hong responded.

---------- end of page 5
    Last edited by Temujin; 10-05-04 at 09:08 AM.

-------- page 6

While they were talking, suddenly high flames with smoke rising above the sky could be seen from the South side of the city. The Crowds were attempting to escape in cluttered groups, mixed up with the Liao soldiers trying to calm down the situation.

A moment later, another shout could be heard "The monks of Shao Lin temple from the South together with other bravemen (wulin fighters), who are not small in numbers, have broken through the Southern Gate !"

Then another followed with another shout "Lam-ih Tay-Ong Siau Hong (XIAO FENG) has rebelled and deflected to the Kingdom of Song, the King of Liao has been killed by him!"

There were a number of Khitan people who immediately responded, and exhorted "Siau Hong has betrayed our kingdom and surrendered to the enemy. I really want to eat him and chew him alive."

"Is it true that our King has been killed by that unbelievably treacherous bastard Siau Hong ?" asked one of his friend nervously.

"Why isn't it true ?" replied by another Khitan person.

"I saw it with my own eyes. Siau Hong thrusted his spear forward and it penetrated our King's chest until the spear came out from his back."

"That son of the b***h* Siau Hong. How could he become so cruel ?"

*The Chinese direct translation literally means dog/thief

"Is he a really a Khitan or a Han race ?" asked another old man bitterly.

"Rumor has it that he is actually a Song who purposedly disguised himself as a Khitan, that son of a b***h* is really even more cunning and cruel than animals!" retorded the other friend.

*The Chinese direct translation literally means dog/thief

Hearing all of these Khitan people throwing out condemnation and curses toward Siau Hong while they were running, consequently A Tji became furious, she lifted up her whip and just about to swing it at the direction of the Khitan people who were passing by her.

But Siau Hong had already prevented her. While shaking his head, he inquired with bated voice "Let them say anything they please, just disregard them !"

Then he followed with a question "Is it true that the Shao Lin Monks have also come ?"

"Pang Tju, please be informed, when miss A Tji escaped from Lamkhia, she met with Go-tianglo (THE WU ELDER) from our Kay Pang and told him the story of your sacrifice, just to help the lives of our citizens and our Kingdom of Song. She said that Pang Tju had made a great length of efforts to prevent King of Liao's plans to attack our Kingdom of Song, and had caused The King of Liao to be extremely enraged at you, so he imprisoned you."

"But only from that story alone, Go-tianglo could not believe it completely because Pang Tju is a Khitan. How could you side with our Kingdom of Song ?"

"Then he sneaked into the city of Lhamkhia himself to investigate the situation and found out the truth about Pang Tju's story. What miss Toan (A Zi) had said earlier was indeed the truth."

"Immediately Go-tianglo gave out the ultimate mandate, Djing-Tiok-Leng (The Green Bamboo Decree) and informed the news about your good virtue and chivalrous spirit to all wulin fighters throughout the mainland."

"Then because of everyone was touched and thankful of your unexpectionally noble virtue, therefore under the command of the Great Monks of Shao Lin temple, all the bravemen and warriors throughout Mainland have gathered and rushed to the North in order to rescue Pang Tju."

Upon hearing this, Siau Hong remembered the incident at Tjip-Hian-Tjeng (Ju Xian Manor) a while ago (If you want to read details about this part, Moinllieon has translated it somewhere in this forum or in SPCNET reading room), when he had to fight in a melee surrounded by the hundreds of top martial artists in the whole wulin. And as a result, he ended up killing many top martial artists. Not small in numbers.

But today these top fighters have come here to rescue him. His heart felt remorseful but at the same time very grateful

-------- end of page 6
    Last edited by Temujin; 12-13-04 at 12:30 PM.

keep them coming
    TaZzY InC

------- page 7

"Well, that's what happened, therefore the news about Tjihu (Brother in Law) has been spreaded out by the beggars of Kay Pang so that all the bravemen (wulin fighters) everywhere have been informed in a matter of short time.... Oh, Alas ! What a pity, What a pity !" exclaimed A Tji jittering.

"What's the matter ?" asked Toan Ki surprised.

"Well, my Pek-Giok-Giok-Ting (The White Jade Tripot* - I have to find a better translation for this, if someone can help) used to call up snakes in that I put inside the hall… I have forgotten to carry it with me in a hurry." replied A Tji

*The Hokkienese direct translation is from the first edition is Pek-Giok means White Jade, so changed that from Green Jade

"Forget it. That stuff is not that valuable. Why do you always have to think about it and always carry it with you everwhere you go ?" Duan Yu said with a smile.

"Hmmmpph…. You really think that jade tripot is not valuable ? Without that valuable treasure, there wouldn't be that many poisonous snakes flooding into the room that quickly and Tjihu wouldn't be able to escape that easily." argued A Tji

While still engaging in the conversation, suddenly they heard the loud harsh sounds of many people fighting. Under the light from flames, They could see the large number of Liao soldiers were killing each other.

"Weird, why are they fighting against each other …." asked Siau Hong confused.

"Toako (Big Brother), the soldiers with the white clothes tied on their necks are our own friends." said Toan Ki.

Instantly, A Tji pulled out a piece of white cloth and handed it out to Siau Hong. She said "Tie it up on your neck, Tji Hu!"

Siau Hong took a quick glance and felt confused to differenciate which ones were the friendly soldiers and which ones were the foes. He felt confused which side he should kill. And in the middle of the chaotic scene, Liao soldiers actually could be seen killing each other. On the other hand, the fake Liao soldiers who had the white clothes tied on their necks could swing their weapons precisely on the genuine Liao soldiers so that one by one, the corpses of dead Liao soldiers were seen piling up on top of each other.

While holding the white cloth that he just received from A Tji, Siau Hong's hands were shaking, his heart was screaming...

"I am a Liao person, I am not a Han person ! I'm a Liao person and I'm not a Han person ! No matter what happens, I cannot put this white cloth on my neck !"

The direct translation from the second edition Chinese version says I'm a Qidan-Ren ... NOT I'm a Liao person, but I'm trying to stay consistent with the Indonesian translated version I have

Then at this same moment suddenly the sound of something squeeking could be heard repeatedly, the hefty Western Gates had been pushed opened by someone. Toan Ki and Hoan Hwa immediately proceeded outside (the city gate) while clamping Siau Hong on their sides.

Under the bright light of the flames, an innumerable number of Kay-Pang members could be seen, waiting with their horses outside the city.

When they saw Siau Hong, they simultaniously cheered "Kiau-Pangtju ! Kiau-Pangtju !"

In that middle of the night, the two processions of torches that could be seen suddenly moved to part themselves, then someone riding a horse advanced forward. The horse rider was an old beggar with his hands both lifted up in the air holding the Pak-Kau-Pang (Dog Beating Stick), which is the supreme treasure (identification) for the leader of Gay Pang.

The old beggar turned out be Go-tiang lo (The Wu Elder).

------------ end of page 7
    Last edited by Temujin; 09-30-04 at 02:12 PM.