Thread: Huang Rong's at 15

Default Huang Rong's at 15

As many would agree that HR is one of the smartest character of JY's novels. Do you think that it was logical that a girl that lived her life in an island with little contacts with outsiders should be as wise out in the world when she first left Peach Blossom Island as she was? If it was me, I think I'll be pretty susceptable to being decieve.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by superboy
    As many would agree that HR is one of the smartest character of JY's novels. Do you think that it was logical that a girl that lived her life in an island with little contacts with outsiders should be as wise out in the world when she first left Peach Blossom Island as she was? If it was me, I think I'll be pretty susceptable to being decieve.
    She may read a lot of books and manuals that her father kept in the island. These books can help her learning the world, perhaps like the Encyclopedia or the website nowadays.

Quote Originally Posted by Thai guy
    She may read a lot of books and manuals that her father kept in the island. These books can help her learning the world, perhaps like the Encyclopedia or the website nowadays.
    But moast of the books are probably philosphies, not how the world work.
    "I will punish the evil and protect the weak, superboy is in a winning streak. The sky's peak is what I seek"

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by superboy
    But moast of the books are probably philosphies, not how the world work.
    Her father keeps roaming around Jianghu and he is very wise. He is not the Central Divinity. How can he only have the philosophy books in his island?

I doubt that East Heretic Wong Yerk See's personal library on Peach Blossom Island included many books on street smarts, but Daddy Heretic could have imparted much street wisdom to his daughter during their time together on the island.

Wong Yung had smarts, but what's overlooked is that the girl had *guts*. You have to be pretty gutsy to try to pull half the stuff Wong Yung pulled during her lifetime.

Is HYS really wise? From the 4 adaptations I saw (the 80's and 90's LOCH and ROCH) he seems intelligent but not wise. To me, his EQ seem pretty low. It's his wife who has a high EQ and good social skills. HYS seems to me just good at acedemic stuff but his wife is the one who is good at reading and manipulating people.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Is HYS really wise? From the 4 adaptations I saw (the 80's and 90's LOCH and ROCH) he seems intelligent but not wise. To me, his EQ seem pretty low. It's his wife who has a high EQ and good social skills. HYS seems to me just good at acedemic stuff but his wife is the one who is good at reading and manipulating people.
    If he's not, his EQ definitely became alot better in ROCH. Now isn't that quite a consolation?
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Thai guy
    Her father keeps roaming around Jianghu and he is very wise. He is not the Central Divinity. How can he only have the philosophy books in his island?
    Because during those days, books are always about philosophy, history, folklore etc.

Anyway, learning from a book doesn't really help much in the real world...
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Well, for someone as smart as HYS, it is not surprising if he understands how the world works, even though he did not want to confine himself to it. Which is why he is called eccentric.

He can always pass on alot of "lessons of life" to Huang Rong, though his view of the way may be a little sidelined. The books don't need to say everything.

when we first meet HR, she didn't come straight outta peach flower island....
    she spent a while roaming as the little beggar, i'm sure someone with her brain wouldn't have difficulty pickin up the street stuff