Thread: Although most people would not agree with YG's immaturity..

Default Although most people would not agree with YG's immaturity..

when he was younger,don't you think it would be fun to do a Yang Guo onto others in real life if you're in a no win situation or at least outnumbered in an arguement 5-1?

His shouting in front of Guo Jing and a few others with the thunderous line "He is not my teacher!" during the martial arts meet and repeating the Tibetan's monk's words when he thought he was being cursed while thinking "I shall curse you likewise,I won't be defeated" were all classic scenes.

Do you think doing that to another grouop of friends would be fun especially if they are bullying you and really deserve getting the Yang Guo bratty treatement?I've personally done that to a few people one-on-one but not to a group.I'm a BIG fan of Yang Guo.

No. Because that's immature, and does jack shit except making more enemies.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

How should we define "mature" and "immature"?

If we all would behave "the right way", the world and life itself would become extremely dull...

I mean, Linghu Chong "should not" have provoked the Qingcheng School, but hey it was really great fun!

對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

It wasn't that fun IMO (what LHC did) and it almost got himself killed.

If we all would behave "the right way", the world and life itself would become extremely dull...
    You are right, but I'll leave the behaving like immature brats (aka Darwinising) for the idiots. I'll just stand aside laughing at them That's more fun

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Laughing at immature people qualifies as being immature

while we're on subject, I can't imagine anyone more immature than Fong Sai Yuk, and he gets away with a lot of trouble that he caused. But a lot of people seem to like him that way.
    Last edited by PJ; 09-05-04 at 12:35 AM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Laughing at immature people qualifies as being immature
    Qualify my arse. The explanation for that is ?

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    ...anyone more immature than Fong Sai Yuk...
    Is that true historically, or is it just what the adaptations portray him to be like?

BTW, was the forum down yesterday? I could not logon. Hmm... seeing the new look of the forum, it must have been.

Candide: if u ask me, mature people would not practice such stupidity as "stand[ing] aside laughing at [immature brats]." they would find something meaningful to do. So, in my opinion, your action would be seen as immature by some.

Is that true historically, or is it just what the adaptations portray him to be like?
    I was thinking of specific motion picture adaptions.
    Last edited by PJ; 09-06-04 at 10:04 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I mean, Linghu Chong "should not" have provoked the Qingcheng School, but hey it was really great fun!
    Classic.The two drunkards were shouting around when LHC called them the bear and wild boar of Cheng Seng.When they questioned him,he repeated "Bear and wild boar of Cheng Seng then proceeded to have their arse kicked with a parody move called butt backwards,falling around(?).Wonderful scene.

No. Because that's immature, and does jack shit except making more enemies.
    The "enemies" that someone makes are obviously the goons and cronies of the people you are pissing off.Besides,they really deserved getting the YG treatment.

It was great fun, but he went too far when he was seriously injured and defenseless. It almost got him killed. Now that's stupid.

The "enemies" that someone makes are obviously the goons and cronies of the people you are pissing off.Besides,they really deserved getting the YG treatment.
    I know, but he went too far. Stopping at Zhao Zhi Jing and Yuan Zhi Ping would be fine, but insulting Sun Bu Er, one of the Quan Zhen masters, in front of thousands, was a bad idea. Putting all the blame on Who-is-the-other-Quan-Zhen-master for the death of Granny Sun was completely silly and unreasonable. It was self-defense and it was an accident. It was all good making fun of the GWM and his students, but he went too far with his insults and as a result made himself their #1 enemy. With his intelligence, surely he could find a way at least to save these guys face. A little respect even for your enemies goes a long way. He could've avoided a lot of misfortunes later in his life.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    With his intelligence, surely he could find a way at least to save these guys face. A little respect even for your enemies goes a long way. He could've avoided a lot of misfortunes later in his life.
    Again, I think this is very narrow way of looking at the person "Yang Guo". Being intelligent and having a stable character/emotional control are two different things. A good example is Huang Yaoshi.

Yang Guo and Huang Yaoshi both have characters which we nowadays would call "artist-character", they are brilliant, but are impulsive and excentric. They feel that the world does not understand them, and become frustrated.

My point is: being smart does not mean one is able to handle things (social relations) better. On the contrary, in Jin Yong universe those characters who are extremely intelligent often suffer more than the simple-minded ones. Due to their complex way of thinking, the intelligent persons make life more difficult and complicated than it should be.

Laviathan, that was tongue-in-cheek (you shoud've known that, it was from me ). People often praise Yang Guo for being "intelligent". I personally see it as nothing special. In fact, I don't think he's intelligent at all (except when it comes to martial arts).

I think you're talking about being an intelligent person vs being a wise person. HYS and those like him are intelligent but not wise.

I think you're talking about being an intelligent person vs being a wise person. HYS and those like him are intelligent but not wise.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Laviathan, that was tongue-in-cheek (you shoud've known that, it was from me ).
    Exactly.

Now about WXB, was he intelligent but not wise, or was he intelligent and wise?

Quote Originally Posted by rabadi
    Now about WXB, was he intelligent but not wise, or was he intelligent and wise?
    He was witty.

I know, but he went too far. Stopping at Zhao Zhi Jing and Yuan Zhi Ping would be fine, but insulting Sun Bu Er, one of the Quan Zhen masters, in front of thousands, was a bad idea. Putting all the blame on Who-is-the-other-Quan-Zhen-master for the death of Granny Sun was completely silly and unreasonable. It was self-defense and it was an accident. It was all good making fun of the GWM and his students, but he went too far with his insults and as a result made himself their #1 enemy. With his intelligence, surely he could find a way at least to save these guys face. A little respect even for your enemies goes a long way. He could've avoided a lot of misfortunes later in his life.
    Okay.In real life emulating YG in making enemies a laughing stock like during the Great Martial Arts Meet might not be the best solution in my current situation.I'll try to be nicer and emulate the much more mature version of YG.But if all else fails,it's time to return to square 1 and give them what they deserve ala Yang Guo style!