Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Racist Review of "HERO"

Default A Racist Review of "HERO"

I came across this review of Zhang Yimou's "HERO" by some dude name John Derbyshire Here the link:

http://www.nationalreview.com/derbys...0409150606.asp

Is it just me or this review is a bit racist, I mean I never really like "HERO" but some of the coments by this dick I find really rude!!!

-"I hated the endless swordfight scenes. To call them "swordfight scenes" is in fact a stretch, as they bear as much relation to actual swordfights as The Flintstones does to family life in the Upper Paleolithic.The swordspersons (two of them are female) fly through the air upside down, walk on water, and run up walls, mainly in slow motion (see below). I first saw a Chinese sword movie when they were all the rage in Hong Kong back in 1971. At that time I thought it was a tiresome fad that would soon disappear. No, it is still going strong, apparently having some deep appeal to the Chinese psyche. Not to me."

So what the fu-ck you call a swordfight scenes?? some thing like in the three musketeer??? where they wave their sword around like an idiot trying to poke each other in the heart!!! So you don't get the chinese wuxia culture so you don't like it, (American culture is the best!!) nothing new there typical white guy!!!

-"I hated the extravagant sets and shooting locales. The built sets look like no buildings that ever existed anywhere, populated by myriads of people all moving and speaking in unison, in a way no human beings ever did except in the stands of a Pyongyang sports stadium."

WTF so you been to ancient China?? I guess to him all Chinese buildings should look like a Chinese restaurant with lanterns everywhere!!! He don't even know that those buldings in the film are still standing in China today DUMBASS!!

-"I hated the look-at-this! coloring of far too many of the scenes. If you like your Chinese food smothered in MSG to pump up the flavors, you'll love what director Zhang Yimou does with color."

The only thing he understand about chinese culture is the chinese food and MSG, typical white guy!!!! If we say somting like that about the blacks or jews we would of been called a racist, but to the asian is alright!!!

-"I hated the bogus spirituality. Philosophical Taoism is not my cup of tea, for reasons I've explained at length elsewhere. What we have in Hero is a sort of vulgar Taoism, in about the same relation to the real thing as a Superman comic would be to the teachings of Friedrich Nietzsche. Determined efforts to still the mind and apprehend the universal Way will lead (we are told) to supernatural powers, clairvoyance, and the complete mastery of both calligraphy and swordsmanship."

Again he don't understand something so he hate it, how the hell did this dick get to become a fuken film critic!!!

-"This film is, among other things, a Sino-fascist propaganda vehicle."

Yeah and its also been on top of the US box office for two week!!! hahahaha

-"It's a shame to sign off without saying anything at all positive about a movie, so here is one point in Hero's favor: I think Zhang Ziyi is a total babe."

Yeah a typical white guy the only thing he like about asians are the babe, to all the asian chicks going out with a white guy this is the type person you are going out with!!! He only like you for your exotic looks and body but hate your culture!!

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Swordman
    Yeah a typical white guy the only thing he like about asians are the babe, to all the asian chicks going out with a white guy this is the type person you are going out with!!! He only like you for your exotic looks and body but hate your culture!!
    Talk about racist... You're the moron that's stereotyping white people. You're not intentionally saying it, but it's close enough to where you are stereotyping them. It's their opinion of the movie and IT"S JUST A REVIEW. So just don't worry about it and worry more about yourself.
    Last edited by Brian0032; 09-17-04 at 10:56 PM.

I have to respect that person's opinions but it seems to be another of those white boy reviews I've read. They don't have to trash about anything that's unrealistic. I mean there's no such thing as Hulk, Spiderman, or X-Men and yet they accept it.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    I have to respect that person's opinions but it seems to be another of those white boy reviews I've read. They don't have to trash about anything that's unrealistic. I mean there's no such thing as Hulk, Spiderman, or X-Men and yet they accept it.
    Why does it have to be white?

Because the sites I've been to that gots these kinds of reviews are owned by a white dude and it says so in the info section.

The National Review isn't exactly a good source to go for unbiased or balanced thought. Don't think too much of what a racist has to say about a movie.

I wonder if he likes the Godfather? Not much humour in there, and alot of philosophy, colorful scenery, mis-en-scenes, and all that stuff that he hates.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

Well, if you don't like what he'd written, I'm sure you can point it out by writing in to him or what's available there.

It's relatively easy to be a critic/reviewer, by the way. I know your question was rhetorical but in case anyone doesn't know, yeah, to be a reviewer of anything, all you have to do is demonstrate you are familiar with the stuff you are reviewing. One doesn't necessarily need to demonstrate one has a balanced or informed view.

So, there goes the credit of some critics/reviewers.
    "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you want."

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    Because the sites I've been to that gots these kinds of reviews are owned by a white dude and it says so in the info section.
    Okay... don't tell me you've never seen a site that a black, hispanic, or even ASIAN say things like this before. You can't just go around saying "oh it's another one of those stupid white dudes." What if it was written by an Asian person saying the same thing? Would you say "oh it's another one of those stupid asian dudes." See what I'm trying to say?

I bet that Brian0032 is one of those white dude, thats why he find my opinions so offensive!! If you find what I said offensive why can't I find the review offensive!!! If you don't like my opinions then don't worry about it, why do you have to come here and express your views??!!!! IF you can express your views about what I said why can't I express my views about the reviewer!!!

This worked up over a stupid review? Calm down or talk it out in PM please, thanks you.

But if this continues, I will have to close this thread, and I don't want to b/c I think this could be an interesting topic. So please work it out in PMs if you have to shout it out, thank you.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

I bet that Brian0032 is one of those white dude, thats why he find my opinions so offensive!! If you find what I said offensive why can't I find the review offensive!!! If you don't like my opinions then don't worry about it, why do you have to come here and express your views??!!!! IF you can express your views about what I said why can't I express my views about the reviewer!!!
    You may find this shocking but Brian0032 is actually my cousin. I'm Asian and He's Asian but we got very different opinions on things.

He is the one who call me a moron for expressing my opinions, I did not call him any names!! IF he is not white why the hell he sound like he is so offended by what I said!! So what if I sterotyping!! they are always sterotyping asian in Hollywood films!!! And it is how I perceive the majority of white ppl, they know nothing of chinese culture or any other culture, but they think and act like they do!!! And if they don't get another culture they start talking crap about it!!

So, just because they 'LOVE STEREOTYPING PEOPLE', you're going to do the same huh? Great move, descending to the same level of the people you despise.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    So, just because they 'LOVE STEREOTYPING PEOPLE', you're going to do the same huh? Great move, descending to the same level of the people you despise.
    THANK YOU!!!! I was trying to get those same words out, but you summed it up shorter than what I was going to put. And why would you think I'm white (Lone Swordman)? Just because I said you were? Look at all your post before. Tell me who sounds more racist. Besides I'm not offended by what you said. And it's just a review from a person that is just stating his opinions. Did he say anywhere in that article that he hated chinese people (or anything related to that)? Yeah and they do stereotype Asians in Hollywood. But sometimes, not always. Besides I find it pretty funny most of the time. You just need to relax and chill out dude. Don't take things from Hollywood and reviews from other people so seriously. Oh wait a second.... how about this. Maybe if you hanged around more white people you would probably see this review from a different point of view than you do now.

Well there's my 2 cents.

The reason I started this post was because I found the review to be racist thats just my own opinion, and I want to see if others feel the same, I guess that you don't and respect that. Not everyone have the same opionions and views or otherwise the world would be a boring place. And I would not of care what you wrote accept you call me a moron for stating my views!! I would not have care as much if the reviewer came and call me names coz I did call him some nasty stuff!! But what with the personal attacks from you (Brian0032) I did not say anything about you and would not have care if you said you disagree with what I said and you find asian being sterotype in films funny but don't like it when I sterotype white ppl. Maybe you been hanging around too much white ppl. Anyway I have no problem if you disagree with what I said, coz if you read the beginning of the post I was asking ppl for their own opinions on the review (weather its racist or not), so I was open to opinions. But not to personal attacks (unless its from the reviewer).

Yes, please cut it with the personal comments and remarks. Thank you. Since it seems like you two have worked it out, I won't officially warn you two. But consider this a friendly warning. I can't guarantee I won't warn you next time. But anyways, please do continue. I find this debate very insightful and interesting.
    春花秋月几时了,
    往事知多少?
    小楼昨夜又东风,
    故国不堪回首明月中.
    雕栏玉砌应犹在,
    只是朱颜改.
    问君能有几多愁,
    恰似一江春水向东流.
    --南唐后主,李煜.

hehe... The National Review is an ultra-conservative, Republican magazine. Not at all a place to find talk of inclusion or unity. These are the people, and their readers, that consistently push for a hardline against China. It's no surprise they'd make a political issue of the film.
    Zhang Ziyi CSC: news, biography, gallery, filmography, forums, more...

Quote Originally Posted by Brian0032
    THANK YOU!!!! I was trying to get those same words out, but you summed it up shorter than what I was going to put. And why would you think I'm white (Lone Swordman)? Just because I said you were? Look at all your post before. Tell me who sounds more racist. Besides I'm not offended by what you said. And it's just a review from a person that is just stating his opinions. Did he say anywhere in that article that he hated chinese people (or anything related to that)? Yeah and they do stereotype Asians in Hollywood. But sometimes, not always. Besides I find it pretty funny most of the time. You just need to relax and chill out dude. Don't take things from Hollywood and reviews from other people so seriously. Oh wait a second.... how about this. Maybe if you hanged around more white people you would probably see this review from a different point of view than you do now.

Well there's my 2 cents.
    What does it mean when you say there's my 2 cents?

The fact is that you said the review was racist. I didn't see anything racist about it. Unless if he was saying negative things about chinese people. He's just ignorant of chinese culture, but that doesn't mean he's racist. Does it? You were going low and saying things about white people as a whole, and the nobody should respect what you said in some parts of the first post. You were streotyping white people more than that review was stereotyping chinese. What if it was a Japanese, Hispanic, black, etc. that wrote that review. Would you say "Stupid Jap, Stupid Hispanic, Stupid black person"?

Maybe you been hanging around too much white ppl.
    Maybe because you don't hang around other different types of people enough.