Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars on DVD

Yep - those people who enjoy the new version don't know nor do they appreciate the orginally 'spirit' of the Star Wars trilogy. No pun intended.
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Last edited by Canuck21; 09-23-04 at 01:11 AM.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Yeah, I gonna ask my dad to get it... (it's cheaper in Malaysia... for reasons I will not expose)

Although it's messed up that Lucas digitally replaced the Darth Vader spirit with... HAYDEN CHRISTENSEN.... *vomits*

He's gonna be replaced????!!!!!
    Now I'm mad!!! I ain't getting the dvd's no MO!!!!!!
    The New Bi Xue Jian Rocks!

Webshots - Free Beautiful Photos

"I'm sorry you saw half a completed film and fell in love with it," the filmmaker told Yahoo recently. "But I want it to be the way I want it to be...they [the fans] think it should be their way. Which is fine, except I'm making the movies, so I should have it my way."

His refusal to release the original Star Wars trilogy on DVD.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

If he had elected to choose Kurt Rusell, over Harrison Ford for the role of Han Solo, I guess I wouldn't be caring as much about the Star Wars trilogy anymore. I'm someone who believes that Harrison added much to Star Wars fan base, by the way he played the role.

Anyway, that's a kinda bad attitude Lucas has towards us fans, but then again without George there would have been no Star Wars. So that's why I bought th DVDs. It was at least more than 75% of the original thearatical release. What I didn't like were the following changes:

1. Replacing the old ghost of Darth Vadar with a ghost of Hayden - He still has an evil expression on his face in that shot by the way... (makes no sense).

2. Changing the voice of the Emporer in Empire to match with the Palatine in Episodes 1, and 2... (there's even a hint of suspicions that he digitally edited out the old emporer shots and put the guy currently playing palatine in... they look too similiar for my liking though i don't have the old tapes to compare against) - but no one is complaining so maybe my eyes decieve me... But those shots definetly look new....

3. The bounty hunter's voice now sound Kewi (New Zealand) to match with episodes 2..

Harrison Ford wasn't that famous till he got the role in Star Wars and then his popularity sky rocket with Indiana Jones. If Kurt Russell got the role instead of him, I think Russell would be done a good job. He is pretty funny in action comedic roles... (Big Trouble in Little China)
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Yeah, but Kurt doesn't have the roguish charm Harrison has.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Yeah, but Kurt doesn't have the roguish charm Harrison has.
    That is true... but I always wonder if that is because the role that made him or the role made by him.

I am not sure if American Graffidi (sp) another George Lucas work was the first time we saw Harrison Ford? or did that movie come out after Star War.

I even heard rumors that Lucas pick Ford from the site construction crew where Ford was working.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Ford was a carpenter. Lucas discovered him while Ford was fixing something outside Lucas' office.

And American Graffiti came out before Star Wars.
    Swifty, Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Long
    2. Changing the voice of the Emporer in Empire to match with the Palatine in Episodes 1, and 2... (there's even a hint of suspicions that he digitally edited out the old emporer shots and put the guy currently playing palatine in... they look too similiar for my liking though i don't have the old tapes to compare against) - but no one is complaining so maybe my eyes decieve me... But those shots definetly look new....
    Lucas did change the Emperor. It is FACT.

http://www.thedigitalbits.com/review...rschanges.html

Quote Originally Posted by James Ko
    That is true... but I always wonder if that is because the role that made him or the role made by him.

I am not sure if American Graffidi (sp) another George Lucas work was the first time we saw Harrison Ford? or did that movie come out after Star War.

I even heard rumors that Lucas pick Ford from the site construction crew where Ford was working.
    Harrison Ford was in the film business way before American Graffiti, playing in minor roles under contract with Columbia.

http://movies.yahoo.com/shop?d=hc&id...f=biog&intl=us

I just got the DVD. The image is the best that I've seen for old films but the changes like Hayden replacing the old actor and Luke's lightsaber switching from blue to green in A New Hope are what disappoint me.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    I just got the DVD. The image is the best that I've seen for old films but the changes like Hayden replacing the old actor and Luke's lightsaber switching from blue to green in A New Hope are what disappoint me.
    The picture quality is indeed awsome. This high level of restoration is what I expect from Lowry Digital Images.

Has anyone seen the 80s trailers for Return Of The Jedi on the 4th disc? Why is it that Luke's lightsaber in it is blue but in the movie it is green?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    Has anyone seen the 80s trailers for Return Of The Jedi on the 4th disc? Why is it that Luke's lightsaber in it is blue but in the movie it is green?
    I've read before that Luke's lightsaber in Return of the Jedi was originally supposed to be blue. However, the blue didn't show up well against the blue sky or something, so they made his lightsaber green.

"But in this age of the digital disc, Lucas is refusing to give fans an alternate option. And, indicative of how he treats his fan base, the box that holds this set is astonishingly cheap and flimsy."

I don't think Lucas is to be blamed for the 'cheap and flimsy' box in which the Star Wars boxset came in. It's just a 20th Century Fox thing... I've bought many of the 20th Centuary Fox box sets and continually be annoyed with how cheap and flimsy they are... Fox example the 'Alien Quadirology' box set fell apart when I opened it. How cheap was the box that held the 'Conan' and 'Predator' double discs???

"But in this age of the digital disc, Lucas is refusing to give fans an alternate option. And, indicative of how he treats his fan base, the box that holds this set is astonishingly cheap and flimsy."

I don't think Lucas is to be blamed for the 'cheap and flimsy' box in which the Star Wars boxset came in. It's just a 20th Century Fox thing... I've bought many of the 20th Centuary Fox box sets and continually be annoyed with how cheap and flimsy they are... Fox example the 'Alien Quadirology' box set fell apart when I opened it. How cheap was the box that held the 'Conan' and 'Predator' double discs???
    I don't give a darn about the packaging. All I'm asking is the Original Trilogy cleaned and on DVD. The set can come in a brown industrial box, I wouldn't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    I don't give a darn about the packaging. All I'm asking is the Original Trilogy cleaned and on DVD. The set can come in a brown industrial box, I wouldn't care.
    The box was pretty useless. I tossed it as soon as I got the DVDs out of it. I didn't buy this set of DVDs for the container.

LoTR >>>>>>>>> Star Wars

Seriously.
    Swifty, Writing

I agree that the box is cheap but that doesn't really matter. It's the movie on the disc that matters.