Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars on DVD

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    LoTR >>>>>>>>> Star Wars

Seriously.
    No, that can't be serious .

Seriously, I find LoTR SOOOOOO boring. It is extremely pretentious in its execution with too many characters in awe of whatever that surround them. Once or twice I can understand but holly cow, throughout the whole trilogy the characters were at awe. The cinematography is also at guilt. It showed the grandeur of New Zealand non stop. I get it already for crying out loud! With the Original Star Wars Trilogy, you went from space, passed through the desert and snow and ended in a deep forest, yet it didn't have to shove us those environments with postcard scenes. It's like if the LoTR movie itself is saying "Look at me, look how grand I am, look how important and deep I am with all this seriousness". Give me a bleeping break. I also can't stand the over-the-top battles. Thanks to (no thanks) CGI, Hollywood (and other movie industries) are overdoing the battle scenes with too many warriors. It just seem fake, even for a fantasy. LoTR is not the only one that is guilty of overdoing the CGI. The Star Wars Prequels also suffer from it. The worse thing for me about LoTR are the characters. There is not a single character that I like in this pretentious trilogy. I didn't care for any of them (except for maybe the trees). I especially hate Frodo who is so freaking annoying and stupid. If only you knew how bored I was watching LoTR. It's just not a very fun trilogy to me. Oh and one more thing... what's with this awfully long ending in RoTK? I mean come on here. End it already! They were hugging, kissing and crying and I thought it was over but no, it continued and went on and on. My gosh, that was such a torture .

If you ask me, Original SW Trilogy >>>>> Special Edition SW Trilogy >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Star Wars Prequels >>>>> LoTR Trilogy.
    Last edited by Canuck21; 09-30-04 at 01:43 AM.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Even the prequels are better than LoTR eh? .... okaaaaaay.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    Oh and one more thing... what's with this awfully long ending in RoTK? I mean come on here. End it already! They were hugging, kissing and crying and I thought it was over but no, it continued and went on and on. My gosh, that was such a torture .

Here's what I thought of the ending of ROTK. You're a super smart person if you can work out what I 'really' think of the ending...

------------------------------------------------------------
    I went to the super LOTR movie marathon... It was like 6am in the morning towards the end, and I remember that I couldn't get enough of the hugging sequences between Frodo and Sam, Frodo and Pippen, Frodo and Merry, and then Frodo takes Gandalf's hand... It lasted like only 5 minutes

I so so tired and wanting to leave yet, I was kinda like, hoping for more and more hugging scenes but it abruptly ended. What gives??? More hugging please!

So I hope that the extra 50 minutes in this extended version of Return of th King is dedicated to Frodo and Sam hugging each other.... Prehaps they can kiss or something... That would just be supper and exciting... Nothing like watching grown men hug and kiss each other, you know...

The end of Return of the King was like the best ending ever man, and they should extend that part...
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Even the prequels are better than LoTR eh? .... okaaaaaay.
    I don't like the Prequels very much but there are a few things about them that I like. Because it's somehow related to Star Wars, I want to know the story, even though it's kind of boring in many parts. I don't like the acting but I do like the actors, go figure. I mean I cannot resist Ewan McGregor. I can't say that LoTR has better acting either because the actors/characters are always at awe and that really gets on my nerve, EXTREMELY. I wanted to rip Frodo's eyeballs out so much because I was so darn tired of seeing them popping out. Get over it for crying out loud! There are no actors that I truly dislike in the Prequels (either I like or I don't care) but in LoTR, I don't like Liv Tyler and I hate Ian McKellen. The Prequels can be very childish at times, but it's either that or a sense of a HUGE ego from the LoTR with all the forced feed seriousness in the tone. Then there's the score. I prefer John Williams' score 100 times more than that of LoTR. I don't even remember the music of LoTR to tell you the truth since it's such a forgetable score. The most important thing to me are the characters and although Darth Vader's character is totally ruined in the Prequels, I still care a whole lot for Obi Wan. I'm excited for Episode III because he'll be in it quite a lot apparently. LoTR characters? They can all die and I wouldn't care. The only thing I prefer LoTR over the Prequels is Viggo Mortensen--he's much better than that other Danish, you know... Hayden Christensen. I find both quite boring but the Prequels get a little more interest from me due to their relation to Star Wars.
    Last edited by Canuck21; 09-30-04 at 01:50 AM.

I wouldn't diss LOTR. If you've read the novels like I have, you know there's far more going on... It's actually the most read novel in the Western World, and to have it brought to the big screen and be at least 65% true to the novel is a great accomplishment for Peter Jackson.

Some of the things that Peter Jackson did, and the scale of the production is just 'simply' out of this world. I mean the armour was hand beaten and made in the old fashoined way. The coat mail was made the old traditional way. The depth of the movie and the level of detail that went into the movie can never be acheived again.

Also I wouldn't diss the actors and the characters. I thought they did a superb role in conveying the essence and spirit of the novel. For me I thought Liv Taylor did great. Frodo is exactly as I imagined to be...

The only blemish to the LORT was the ending in the 'Return of the King'. Otherwise Peter Jackson, cast, and crew did a wonderful job, to bring to the big screen what no one thought was possible, and at the same time stay true to the detail and descriptions given in the novel is simply amzing.

Give credit where credit is deserved, and the music score was great...

Quote Originally Posted by Long
    I wouldn't diss LOTR. If you've read the novels like I have, you know there's far more going on... It's actually the most read novel in the Western World, and to have it brought to the big screen and be at least 65% true to the novel is a great accomplishment for Peter Jackson.

Some of the things that Peter Jackson did, and the scale of the production is just 'simply' out of this world. I mean the armour was hand beaten and made in the old fashoined way. The coat mail was made the old traditional way. The depth of the movie and the level of detail that went into the movie can never be acheived again.

Also I wouldn't diss the actors and the characters. I thought they did a superb role in conveying the essence and spirit of the novel. For me I thought Liv Taylor did great. Frodo is exactly as I imagined to be...

The only blemish to the LORT was the ending in the 'Return of the King'. Otherwise Peter Jackson, cast, and crew did a wonderful job, to bring to the big screen what no one thought was possible, and at the same time stay true to the detail and descriptions given in the novel is simply amzing.

Give credit where credit is deserved, and the music score was great...
    So you're saying I shouldn't diss LoTR simply because the novels are the most read novel in the Western World? I'm sorry but I don't care about that. There's far more stuff going on in the novels? Great, but are we discussing about the movies or the novels? I only care of what's showing in front of me and what I saw, I didn't like. Do you think that I give a crap about the fact that the armour was hand beaten and made in the old fashoined way and that the coat mail was made the old traditional way? Those are details only geeks care about. I don't know about you but I can't differentiate a hand beaten armour and an armour made from an assembly . The armour could be made of plastic and it could still achieve pretty much the same result out of the spectator as long as it looks realistic on the screen.

What you don't get my friend is that as a moviegoer, I don't care about all of these efforts from Peter Jackson, the rest of the crew and the cast. I have no doubt that they worked really hard to make the LoTR Trilogy but so what? In the end, I still found the movies extremely boring. Your logic is that because they worked so hard, I should just say that LoTR was good even though I almost slept while watching them? The only thing that kept me from sleeping was the price I paid for the tickets.
    Last edited by Canuck21; 09-30-04 at 02:32 AM.

Canuck, There are a few things you don't get.

1. If you make a movie, based on a novel, you have to be true to the novel... Peter Jackson did that.

2. The authour gave very detailed descriptions of the places, armour, battles, and emotions. To use a rubber duck for Gollum, or rubber trees ect... Wouldn't do the authour justice.

3. Regardless of what you think, I reckon if we put it to a vote for all the fans out there they'd say LOTR is 1,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 more exciting and entertaining than the Star Wars prequels.

And that LOTR trilogy is equal if not better the original Star Wars in entertainment.

Quote Originally Posted by Long
    Canuck, There are a few things you don't get.

1. If you make a movie, based on a novel, you have to be true to the novel... Peter Jackson did that.
    As an adaptation, I guess it's a very well done production but faithfullness is not what I care for. One of my favorite movies of all time is L.A. Confidential and it was adapted from a book of the same title. The movie is quite different story-wise from the book because of the time span difference but that didn't mind me at all because the end result was an excellent movie whether it was faithful to the book or not. It doesn't matter that the LoTR trilogy is faithful to the novels, I just didn't enjoy the movies. Maybe it's the novels that are boring I'm not sure but what I can tell you is that I was BORED. Is that too difficult to comprehand?

2. The authour gave very detailed descriptions of the places, armour, battles, and emotions. To use a rubber duck for Gollum, or rubber trees ect... Wouldn't do the authour justice.
    I like movies and I only consider the movies. I don't want to think about the novels, what the novels described and so on. I only care about the movies, that's it that's all. By showing all the details just bored me even more. In a novel, you have to be very descriptive to engage the reader's imagination. You don't always need to do that with a movie because most is in front of you. Sure making rubber trees may not give the author justice but beaten armours? Did we really needed to go into such useless detail? Like I said, that's information for geeks.

3. Regardless of what you think, I reckon if we put it to a vote for all the fans out there they'd say LOTR is 1,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 more exciting and entertaining than the Star Wars prequels.
    What's your point? Like if I give a darn about what others think. The whoe planet can enjoy LoTR and I would still find it boring. So because so many others like it, I should too? I'm not a clone you know... I do have my own taste and opinion. For your information, all of my friends like LoTR except me.

And that LOTR trilogy is equal if not better the original Star Wars in entertainment.
    Fine, if that's what you think. It's your opinion that the LoTR trilogy is equal if not better the original Star Wars in entertainment. Just tell me what do you like about it like the acting, the cinetography, the scenario, etc. Don't give me crap about the effort, the useless details and what 1,000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 00000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000 fans think. I really don't get what you're trying to do here. Did you felt insulted in anyway that I don't like LoTR? I don't see why you have to try so hard to convince me otherwise. I gave all the reasons why I didn't like LoTR--the acting, the actors, the directing, the cinematography and the score. I don't get how you can convince me otherwise because afterall it's about taste. Why do you give me arguments that have no effect on my taste? Do you understand that I... DON'T... CARE about those insignificant detals? I was bored despite all the effort. There's no way you can change that, not even the fact that the armours were made the old fashion way .
    Last edited by Canuck21; 09-30-04 at 04:00 AM.

In my opinion the Star Wars trilogy are much better than LOTR despite the special effects not being as good as LOTR but that doesn't matter.

Hm. Know what? Maybe I should start a new thread for this.

Star Wars vs Lord of the Rings. When I say Star Wars, should I include the prequel?
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    In my opinion the Star Wars trilogy are much better than LOTR despite the special effects not being as good as LOTR but that doesn't matter.
    Special effects are just a side dish along with the decor, costumes, etc. It's everything mixed together that can make or break a movie. Personally, I find the Original Star Wars Trilogy's special effects top notch. I don't see them as dated at all. I also prefer organic over CGI. I prefer the puppet Yoda over the CGI Yoda. In fact, the CGI in the Prequels are not that good compared to the LoTR. Gollum was really well done and I feel that LoTR would be better (for me) if it wasn't so self-centered but I guess the novels themselves were like that too.

Btw, last Sunday, I spent the whole day watching the Star Wars Trilogy on DVD and I fell in love with them all over again despite the changes. There are many changes that I absolutely hate but most of the original stuff are still there and boy is the picture quality awesome. I still find The Empire Strikes Back oh so amazing thanks to character development. Oh and the score, I mean how can anyone not be impressed with the Imperial March? It's a very well balanced movie IMHO.

Empire Strikes Back IS my favourite SW movie.
    Swifty, Writing

Has anyone noticed the yellow flash when Obi Wan and Darth Vader's lightsaber hit against another? It makes my mind kind of dizzy. I watched the original A New Hope on vhs and it didn't have that yellow flash.

Has anyone noticed the yellow flash when Obi Wan and Darth Vader's lightsaber hit against another? It makes my mind kind of dizzy. I watched the original A New Hope on vhs and it didn't have that yellow flash.
    That's because VHS' picture quality sucks. I too didn't remember that yellow flash until I saw it on my DVD copy of the ORIGINAL trilogy encoded from a Laserdisc set.

That's because VHS' picture quality sucks. I too didn't remember that yellow flash until I saw it on my DVD copy of the ORIGINAL trilogy encoded from a Laserdisc set.
    Yah - The first time I saw those yellow flashes were on the DVD. It sends you pyscho if you're on some "party tricks"... I just hope George Lucas knows that fact... I can anticipate weird things happening when people take "party tricks" and watch that scene again...

Where did you get the Original trilogy on DVD?

Where did you get the Original trilogy on DVD?
    It's a bootleg "ripped" from the Definitive Collection laserdisc set. The picture quality is of course nowhere near the official DVD but it's much better than VHS. If you're interested, PM me. I usually don't like bootleg but in this case, there's no other choice.

I think that the DVDs are perfect except for the changes but it needs more extras!

The ending was kind of funny on the dvd, they took out the old guy who plays Vader and replace with that new guy.

I just got the dvd and finished Star wars III. I say it is awsome, but I did listened to the key points about self destruction of the most powerful jedi turned to the darkside. When I listened to the words, had Peter Jackson stealing the key aspects of the Asian Philosophy "The greatest evil is yourself." It is self explainatory at the end when Anaken asked the emperor is Padame safe, " Aiken it seems you had killed her with your anger/aggression. "
    This was the trap intended by the emperor, George Lucus can finished with episode 7, since it has some loopholes to fill. Need some more inspiration, can see how Jin Yong ideas. Hey we never know if any writer copy another masterpieces from somewhere else, until we all watch every Asian/Western movies. I had some good ideas for the ending...
    Last edited by mind_wander; 12-29-05 at 12:50 PM.