Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chess, consider a sport or board game?

Default Chess, consider a sport or board game?

What do you guys think?

Do you guys consider chess a sport or just regular board game?
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

Boardgame.

Hard to consider that a sport.

If that's a sport, then so is Monopoly, Sorry, Connect 4, etc. etc.
    This account is retired.

Canada, in an igloo and i'm a lumber jack and we only have honey curlers up here. And hockey rules!

Board Game

Like Golf ,Pool/snooker , bowling etc etc .. it's a Game..

Senior Member superkaratemonkey's Avatar

i think golf is a sport, altho not very phsically demanding. golf, pool/snooker, bowling can all be seen on sports channel on tv, so i guess that makes them sports? never seen chess on TSN tho, so i dont think dats a sport.

Board game..but in the SEA(South East Asia) Games..... chess is consider as a sport..
    Les Arts Martiaux!
    "En Garde","Fleche Enflammee"!!

Most of you mention games... does games equal to sports then? I mean dodgeball could be a game or a sporting event.

Golf to lots of people is boring (me too) but when you play it is harder then it looks. I have to golf now for business and man if I didn't paid attention during my high school phy classes... I would look pretty silly on the course.

Also back to the topic, Arching_Hero mention something interesting... because I also read somewhere that Chess is consider a sport.
    Flame on I am gone...

In order to qualify as a sport, a game has to require some sort of athletic skills I feel.

Chess does not require any sort of athletic skill, except maybe you need to reach for the timer for the timed games... but that's stretching it.

You could be 489 pounds and sweat like druggie and general bigot Rush Limbaugh on a Miami beach and still be a good chess player.

Golf does require athletic skills, in the form of power, aim, control, and finess.
    This account is retired.

Timed chess is formally recognised as a sport... It involves a lot of hand and eye coordination to move the pieces from one side of the board to another, and is also mentally and physically exhausting. Anytime sweat drips from a player's forehead, you know its taxing on them, and can be considered "sport"...

It is as rough as NFL sometimes, when the two players are jostling to make the moves and the clock is widing down. I've actually seen some quite halarious altercations take place at a couple of Chess championships...

So it's no less exciting then say baseball or NFL... In cable TV in Aus, Chess can be seen on the Sports channel, just like darts, snooker, pool, poker (yes, poker), NFL, and baseball...
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Senior Member superkaratemonkey's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Long
    Timed chess is formally recognised as a sport... It involves a lot of hand and eye coordination to move the pieces from one side of the board to another, and is also mentally and physically exhausting. Anytime sweat drips from a player's forehead, you know its taxing on them, and can be considered "sport"...

It is as rough as NFL sometimes, when the two players are jostling to make the moves and the clock is widing down. I've actually seen some quite halarious altercations take place at a couple of Chess championships...

So it's no less exciting then say baseball or NFL... In cable TV in Aus, Chess can be seen on the Sports channel, just like darts, snooker, pool, poker (yes, poker), NFL, and baseball...
    first of all, i just wanna say that some of your comments are very funny. and plz dont take my reply as an attack 2u, but i just couldnt resist.
    anyways, everything takes eyes-hands coordination. even eating, if i have no eye-hand coordinations i'll poke myself in the eyes w/ my chopsticks, but that doesnt make eating a sport. i dunno if its as rough as nfl, at least not physically. football players get broken bones and torn legiments all the time, i doubt chess players have the same risks (im guessing a black eye is as bad as it gets). and im not sure if u can say its as exciting as baseball or nfl, because (im also guessing on this) the average mlb and nfl game draws a bigger crowd then the average chess match.
    i agree w/ flyingfox, sports take athletic abilities. games (like chess and poker) that you just sit there and move your arms require zero athletic abilities, shouldnt be consider a sport.

Anytime sweat drips from a player's forehead, you know its taxing on them, and can be considered "sport"...
    Hmm what about the people that get all sweaty from playing videogames. I'm not talking about games like DDR either. Nothing sport like about the people sweating over Streetfighter and Tetris.
    Basketball is the second most exciting indoor sport, and the other one shouldn't have spectators.

I'd say it's a board game because it requires mind work while sports like basketball require physical work.

I don't think I've ever seen Chess referenced as a sport here in the States...

I dunno about it being as exciting as baseball and the NFL. To me it's pretty boring. One problem is you can't get into the head of the players and see what they're thinking and unless you are really good at chess, you won't know understand or appreciate the strategy and the dangers in each move. In regular sports however, it doesn't take a good player to understand what is going on in a professional competition.
    This account is retired.

Funny though, if you think chess is not a sport, can you say equestrian a sport? I guess it really depending on how you define sports, huh?. Some says mental challenge is good enough to be a sport, hence chess is included. Some says physical challenge is what rightfully called as sports. This definition is still unclear to me until now. For time being, I'll say chess (8X8 tile) is still a board game. Until someone who is able to expand it to greater than 15x15 tile (just like the Go - 19x19), then I'll say it's a sports.
    What is love?

chess is a broadgame but not a sport. if chess can be consider to be a sport then i'm guessing i'm playing sports every day cus i play alot of cs, starcraft and other games. i think broadgame is the correct term for chess, its in between sport and not sport. and we should leave it be that. i had thought about it and it ended up no where.
    Am i Crazy!?!?!?!
    [8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888][8888888]

Quote Originally Posted by spooks
    Hmm what about the people that get all sweaty from playing videogames. I'm not talking about games like DDR either. Nothing sport like about the people sweating over Streetfighter and Tetris.
    Man, I guess most of you guys haven't played a good game of timed chess, best of 7... Should watch the World Chess Championships then you'll know what I'm on about.

Chess is not 'just a game'. Man it's 'life'. The energy generated at the end of each player's finger tips is amazing. Sometimes they move the pieces with such tremendous force that it actually sinks into the board, and sometimes the pieces even break. That's ultimate power. I doubt there are any sports out there when things are broken all over the place because of the fierce competition, excitement, energy ad power generated between two players.

THe most physical part of chess is when the closk is winding down. Both players slap away at the clock, and some even hold the button down to give themseleves a few extra seconds. If the other player spots this they slap the hand away from the clock. That's when the trouble starts. Creating a heated tension that builds, and builds... And the more tempremental ones strike, and that's when a fight starts...

But you can see the passion, concentration, and emotion on th player's faces whilst they are playing. Sweat pours freely from thier forheads. So its both physically and mentally taxing.

Sometimes, peices are taken so fast, that only a TV replay can show the slight of hand and the quickness with which a peice was taken off the board. THis is pure skill. To the naked eye, it looked as if nothing had happened.

The backflips... The loud nerdy screams... The hisses and the fist in the air... Beating the 'beer' gut... And who can forget, the frantic adjusting one's glasses to the proper position after a win.... They are celebrations that are fit to rival ay sport including soccer.

Chess is a full blooded sports man.... Question is. Are you ready to play??
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Man, I guess most of you guys haven't played a good game of timed chess, best of 7... Should watch the World Chess Championships then you'll know what I'm on about.

Chess is not 'just a game'. Man it's 'life'. The energy generated at the end of each player's finger tips is amazing. Sometimes they move the pieces with such tremendous force that it actually sinks into the board, and sometimes the pieces even break. That's ultimate power. I doubt there are any sports out there when things are broken all over the place because of the fierce competition, excitement, energy ad power generated between two players.

THe most physical part of chess is when the closk is winding down. Both players slap away at the clock, and some even hold the button down to give themseleves a few extra seconds. If the other player spots this they slap the hand away from the clock. That's when the trouble starts. Creating a heated tension that builds, and builds... And the more tempremental ones strike, and that's when a fight starts...

But you can see the passion, concentration, and emotion on th player's faces whilst they are playing. Sweat pours freely from thier forheads. So its both physically and mentally taxing.

Sometimes, peices are taken so fast, that only a TV replay can show the slight of hand and the quickness with which a peice was taken off the board. THis is pure skill. To the naked eye, it looked as if nothing had happened.

The backflips... The loud nerdy screams... The hisses and the fist in the air... Beating the 'beer' gut... And who can forget, the frantic adjusting one's glasses to the proper position after a win.... They are celebrations that are fit to rival ay sport including soccer.

Chess is a full blooded sports man.... Question is. Are you ready to play??
    You make it sound like we're watching a wuxia film here. Pieces move so fast we can't see it, pieces moved with so much power it sinks into the board or breaks the piece.

Still just a board game regardless how the players play and react. They sit, they think, they move. I highly doubt chess players wake up sore the next day.
    Basketball is the second most exciting indoor sport, and the other one shouldn't have spectators.

Its a game or could be also called an "Art".
    Journey To The West

The Great Sun Wukong, the Monkey King!!!

Quote Originally Posted by PotentBlend
    Its a game or could be also called an "Art".

Good point, lots of sports now add art as an evaluation tool.... like gymnastic, figure skating etc.
    Flame on I am gone...

SOrry, I still do not accept C as a sport. I could use a stop clock for Monopoly too and stress all the players out so they start using the hotel pieces as ninja starts and start stabbing each other with the sharper game pieces, would that make Monopoly a sport?
    This account is retired.