Page 18 of 37 FirstFirst ... 8910111213141516171819202122232425262728 ... LastLast

Thread: A Happy Hero

To much broke back mountain.
    No gay love please

Sorry for causing such ruckus about LTP and WD.

But please blame patricia_n for fanning it up.
    After all, she (or he) knows that LTP and WD seem to be heterosexual, when Mei RuNan approaches them.

Anyway, we will know more about Wang Dong soon enough.

that was shockingly suprising i never would have suspected such a lazy loafer to have be a famous jianghu pugilist known as soars in the skys flying eagle truly hard to beleive!!also the way yan qi managed to get revenge for gou dalu in such circumstances is absolutely amazing!! thanks for another magnificent update hoju i love this series by like 100% more in these latest updates its finally getting to the meat of the story you are my messiah your updates of this magnificent translation are highly appreciated!

Quote Originally Posted by fastclock View Post
    Sorry for causing such ruckus about LTP and WD.

But please blame patricia_n for fanning it up.
    After all, she (or he) knows that LTP and WD seem to be heterosexual, when Mei RuNan approaches them.

Anyway, we will know more about Wang Dong soon enough.

take it easy dear...we enjoyed this as well

No worries, fastclock. We were being facetious with the LTP/WD pairing. GL has not given any indications that they are not straight as a board, so I don't think we'll get any Brokeback here (unless we count YQ and GDL right now).

Chapter 22 continued.....

--------------------------------------------------

No one asked about Wang Dong’s past because they were ones who respected other people’s secrets. If Wang Dong did not volunteer it himself, they would certainly not ask. In the end, Wang Dong’s secret was told by Wang Dong himself.

Wang Dong was not born with a dislike for being in motion. In fact, when he was a child, not only did he like moving, he loved it, and he moved about tremendously. By the time he was six years old, he knew how to climb trees. He had climbed all sorts of trees, and therefore, he had also toppled down from all sorts of trees. And he had fallen in all sorts of different positions and forms. The worst time was when his head had struck the ground first. That time, the fall had nearly split his head in two. It was only when he was starting to be able to hang from a tree like a monkey, using just the tip of his foot, that he no longer climbed trees. That was because tree climbing had turned into something as safe as sleeping under the covers, not the least bit exhilarating.

From that time onward, everyday, his parents had to send out all of the household servants to search for him. Although by then their family fortune had already deteriorated, they still had quite a few servants. Each instance, by the time they managed to find him and bring him home, they were completely exhausted to the point where it seemed a mere poke with the tip of a finger would cause them to topple over. Yet, he was still frisky, much more vigorous than a shrimp just out of water. After a while, no one was willing to go look for him. They would rather chop eight hundred jin [1 jin (catty) = 0.5 kg] of firewood than find him. They would rather pack up and quit than have to search for him. And so, his father had to abandon that notion and allowed Wang Dong to play outside however long it pleased him.

Fortunately, he would return home once every two to three days, back to bathe, eat, and change his clothes – back to ask for spending money. That was because, at the time, he was still thirteen or fourteen years of age and felt that it was perfectly fine and proper to ask his parents for money. By the time he was a little older and felt that it was time for himself to be independent, his parents rarely got to see him. His elderly father and mother had lost track of the number of times they had secretly sworn, “Next time he returns, we will lock him up with a metal chain and break his two legs with a club. We will see then whether he can still go out and be wild.” But then, the next time he came home, they saw that he was all filthy, hungry and looking thin and sickly, and the elderly man’s heart would soften. At most, then, he would just call him into the study for a session of verbal discipline. Furthermore, his mother would have rushed into the kitchen long ago to simmer a chicken soup. Before his father had finished his lecture, a chicken drumstick would have already been stuffed into their son’s mouth.

Perhaps, in this world, only the parents of an only child will understand what they were feeling. Daughters and sons will never be able to comprehend it. Wang Dong was no exception. He only knew that when a man grew up, he should go out and forge his own way in the world. And so, he left to go explore his way outside.

At that time, he was only seventeen, and he was the same as every other seventeen year old youth on the earth. Right after Wang Dong left his family, his heart was brimming with excitement and filled with aspirations. However, after suffering through a couple days of hunger, he slow started to get homesick. Then his heart started feeling very empty and lonely. As a result, he would desperately try to make some new friends – of course, it was best if it was a “powder and rouge” intimate friend [a (pretty) female close friend]. What seventeen year old lad does not yearn for love and fantasize about romance?

It was when he reached a point where he was hopelessly lonely that “Rescuer of the Poor and Needy” Hong NiangZi came into his life. She appreciated his ambitions and understood his misery. She comforted him, encouraged him – encouraged him to do all kinds of things. “A man who is alive on this earth ought to go out and experience things.” To him, everything she said was an imperial decree. “When a person is alive, he must have money and a name for himself because life is for enjoying.” At the time, he still did not know that there were many other things in life aside from his own pleasures that were much more meaningful. So, in order to become famous, he did not hesitate to do all sorts of things.

He became famous. He had not yet reached twenty when he became the impressively renowned “Flies, Soaring into the Sky” King of Eagles. Becoming famous, indeed, was a very gratifying thing. Muddle-headedly, he did all sorts of things, and muddle-headedly, he made a name for himself. On his body, he wore the most lavish clothing, and he drank wine that cost three liang of silver for just one jin. He knew how to nitpick a tailor’s handiwork. If his shark fin soup had been simmered a minute less than it should have been, he would immediately hurl it into the chef’s face. He not only understood enjoyment, the enjoyments he had were truly quite good.

He should have been very satisfied. But for some reason, he suddenly had feelings of agony and unease, and furthermore, that uneasiness was even worse than before. In the past, once his head touched the pillow, he would sleep very sweetly, but now, he often could not even fall asleep. In the times he was unable to sleep, he would ask himself, “All those things I have done, should I have done them?” “These friends I have made, are they really true friends?” “Should a person think of other things aside from his own pleasures?” And then, all of a sudden, he began longing for home and missing his father and mother. The most skilful chef in the world cannot simmer out a chicken soup like the ones made by a mother’s own hands. All those words of flattery gradually did not seem as pleasant to listen to as his father’s words of discipline. Even hearing Hong NiangZi’s sweet words and honeyed phrases did not move his heart like they used to. However, all these things were not the most important point; the most important was that he suddenly wanted to be an honest and upright person, one who could go to sleep with his mind at ease.

As a result, he started to plan his escape to free himself from that type of life and those sorts of friends. He obviously knew that they would definitely not just let him leave because firstly, they needed him, and secondly, he knew too many secrets.

The one fortunate thing was that, all along, he had never mentioned his family or his parents in front of them. He did not know whether he was afraid his parents would lose him or he would lose his parents. His mother and father were not any sort of extraordinary personage. His friends never inquired about his family background neither; they only asked him, “How did you learn your martial arts?”

His martial arts were learned during the time when he was still a child who was always being unruly outside. A very mysterious old man would wait for him every day in the dark forest and force him to train intensely. From the beginning to the end, he did not know who that old man was, nor did he know how strong the martial art he taught him actually was. It was not until he had his first fight that he knew. This was his unexpected encounter, and it was both bizarre and mysterious. Hence, he had never mentioned this in front of anyone because even if he did say something, nobody would believe him. At times, he did not even really believe it himself.

End of Chapter 22

With the end of that chapter, we have officially reached the halfway mark of this novel.
    Last edited by Hoju!; 03-21-08 at 01:59 AM.

juicy! okay, so now we've established that wang is bisexual. j/k. this is greating great. i cannot wait to learn yan and lin's secrets next.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

----------------------------------------------------------------------
    Chapter 23 – Hong NiangZi: Heart like a Serpent and Scorpion
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------

Everyone has a past; no one can avoid talking about their past in front of their good friends. Sometimes, it will be like telling a story. Most of these stories are not very captivating – listening to someone boast is not as interesting as doing the boasting yourself. But everything has its exceptions.

When Wang Dong spoke, everyone stared at him with wide eyes while they listened without even interrupting at all. The first person who opened his mouth to interrupt was, naturally, still Guo DaLu. He had, in fact, restrained himself for an awfully long time, but as he listened to this point, he could no longer contain himself. He first exhaled out a long breath before finally asking, “Where did that elderly gentleman wait for you?”

Wang Dong: “In the grove behind the graveyard.”

Guo DaLu: “You went every day?”

Wang Dong: “Regardless of wind or rain, there was not a day that I did not go.”

Guo DaLu: “In total, how many days did you go?”

Wang Dong: “Three years and four months.”

Guo DaLu blew out another lengthy breath of air. “Then that means you went over one thousand times.”

Wang Dong nodded.

Guo DaLu: “From what you said, if you did not learn fast enough, you would suffer a beating, and the beating would not be a light one.”

Wang Dong: “In the first year, I rarely had instances where I did not get a thrashing.”

Guo DaLu: “If you were beat everyday, why did you still go?”

Wang Dong: “Because at the time, I thought that type of experience was very mysterious and moreover, was fresh and thrilling.”

Guo DaLu pondered over that, then beamed as agreed, “If that was me in your place, I would have gone too.”

Lin TaiPing could not help asking, “You never asked the elderly gentleman for his name?”

Wang Dong: “I asked several hundred times.”

Lin TaiPing: “Did you know where he had come from?”

Shaking his head, Wang Dong replied, “Every time, by the time I arrived, he was already there.”

Lin TaiPing: “Why didn’t you go earlier?”

Wang Dong: “No matter how early I went, he was still there first.”

Guo DaLu raised an eyebrow. “Why did you not follow him and see where he went back to?”

With a wry smile on his face, Wang Dong told him, “Of course I tried.”

Guo DaLu: “And the result?”

Wang Dong: “The result was each time, I would get a brutal beating, and then I would return home obediently.”

Knitting his brow together, Guo DaLu muttered, “He waited everyday for you in that place and forced you to learn martial arts, but he would not let you know who he was.”

Wang Dong: “And what was even more bizarre was that he never once asked me who I was.”

Guo DaLu sighed, “Such a weird encounter is rare in this world. It seems only a weird person like you could have such weird encounters.”

“At the time you were planning to disassociate yourself from them, even Hong Niangzi did not know?” Yan Qi jumped in.

Wang Dong: “I never mentioned anything in front of anybody.”

Yan Qi: “But Hong NiangZi… wasn’t she quite nice to you?”

The expression on Wang Dong’s face grew even uglier than what it had been before. Finally, after a long time had passed, he stated in a cold voice, “She was quite nice to many people.”

Yan Qi realized he had asked the wrong thing and immediately changed the subject. “Later, how did you leave them?”

In a detached tone, Wang Dong answered, “One time, they were planning on stealing the manuals that are stored in Shaolin Temple, and they told me to go first to survey the situation there. I seized that opportunity to sneak away.”

Exhaling a long breath, Yan Qi said disbelievingly, “These people would actually dare scheme against Shaolin. They have nerve.”

Guo DaLu: “After you escaped, they never found you?”

Wang Dong: “No.” He suddenly rose to his feet and walked over to the window. The night was very dark, very cold. He stood there by the window, lost in thought for a long time, before finally carrying on, “After I returned here, I rarely went out.”

Guo DaLu: “Did you suddenly change and become someone who did not want to move?”

Wang Dong: “I truly did change, and I changed very quickly, changed a lot…” His voice was hoarse and filled with grief as he continued, “Because it was only when I came back that I found out, two years after I had left, my mother…” He did not finish. His hands were clenched tightly into a pair of fists, and his entire body was trembling. He could not continue what he was saying. This time, even Guo DaLu did not ask; he neither had the heart to ask, nor did he have the need to ask. They all realized what had befallen Wang Dong and understood what he felt in his heart. What had happened when he finally returned, hoping to repay his parents’ kindness and love for him and do as a filial son should?

Lin TaiPing’s head was lowered; his eyes seemed to be brimming with tears. Guo DaLu’s heart was aching and his eyes were a little red. Now he finally knew why Wang Dong had become so poor, so lazy, and so strange: because his heart was filled with sorrow and remorse. He was punishing himself. If you had to say that he was running away, then what he was running away from was certainly not Hong Niangzi or Scarlet Serpent or any other person. He was running away from himself. As Guo DaLu recalled the first time he saw him lying there on the bed in the dark, allowing the mice to crawl all over his body, he could not hold back his long sigh. Unless a person has completely lost his will to fight, even if he could withstand hunger, he still would not endure the mice. That night, if Guo DaLu had not muddle-headedly barged in and muddle-headedly become his friend, would Wang Dong still be alive this day? Guo DaLu did not dare to even contemplate this question.

At last, Wang Dong turned his head back towards them and said slowly, “It has been nearly three years since I came back. In these three years, they must have been searching for me nonstop.”

Forcing a smile onto his face, Guo DaLu remarked, “Of course it would be difficult for them to find you. Who would have ever thought that ‘Flies, Soaring into the Sky’ King of Eagles would stay in such a place and live such a life?”

Wang Dong: “But I knew all along that, sooner or later, there would be a day when they found me.”

Yan Qi blinked at him. “It has been so long already. Why will they not let it drop?”

Guo DaLu: “Have you calculated it out yourself? Do you owe them? Or do they owe you?”

For a long time, Wang Dong was silent. “There are some accounts that will never be worked out clearly,” he finally said.

Yan Qi: “Why?”

Wang Dong: “Because everyone has their own way of calculating and every method is different.” His expression grew even grimmer as he carried on in a deliberate tone, “To them, there is only one way to settle this all out.”

Yan Qi: “Which way?”

Wang Dong: “You should know which one it is.”

Yan Qi did not say anything. He did know. Some accounts could only be settled with blood. A little blood was not enough. Large amounts of blood were required. Blood from you alone would not be sufficient; it needed blood from many people. Yan Qi gazed at the wounds on Guo DaLu’s body. After a long time, he said regretfully, “It seems that this account is getting harder and harder to work out. I wonder when it will finally be completely settled.”

Wang Dong sighed, “Rest assured; we will not have to wait for very long because…” He closed his mouth suddenly. Everyone’s mouths had closed; even their breathing had paused. This was because they had all heard the sound of footsteps. The footsteps were very light and were walking unhurriedly across the snow-covered courtyard.

“Who is coming?”

“Could it be that the time has come to settle the debts?”

Chapter 23 continued.....

“Could it be that the time has come to settle the debts?”

Lin TaiPing struggled to pull himself up and rush out the door but then stopped. Guo DaLu pointed at the window; Yan Qi shook his head in reply. There was only one set of footsteps. Right then, this individual was slowly walking up the stone steps to their door. All of a sudden, from outside, someone knocked. This person was actually audacious enough to openly and regally knock on the door. It was something they had never expected.

At last, Wang Dong asked, “Who is it?”

Outside, someone chimed lightly, “Me.”

Wang Dong: “Who are you?”

The person outside suddenly laughed, the sound of her laughter like bells, but much more melodiously clear and enchanting than bells. “You do not even recognize the sound of my voice. You really are a little heartless one.” The visitor was a woman – a woman whose voice was very pleasant to listen to and who seemed to still be very young.

From Wang Dong’s expression, they could deduce who this woman was. Wang Dong’s face was white as paper. Yan Qi patted him lightly on the shoulder and pointed first at the door, then at the back of the room, meaning, “If you do not want to see her, you can go to the back and take cover. I will take care of her for you.” Wang Dong certainly understood his intent, but he shook his head. He understood his own plight much better than anyone else. He had already retreated to the last step possible. It meant that he could retreat no further and moreover, he did not want to retreat.

“Why have you not come to open the door yet?”

None of the others had ever seen Hong NiangZi in person, but anyone who heard her voice could imagine how enchanting a woman she was.

“Is it because there is another woman in the room and you are afraid I will see her? You should know that I do not like to drink vinegar [* get jealous] like you do.”

Abruptly, in large steps, Wang Dong strode over, then stopped again. “The door is not locked,” he said in a low voice.

With a light push, the door had opened. A person stood outside the doorway as she welcomed the lamplight that shone out from the room. All the light seemed to converge on her; all their eyes, of course, were focused on her. She seemed to radiate a glow from her body – a glow that was so red it dazzled the eyes, so red it could make the heart beat faster.

Naturally, the garments Hong NiangZi [Red Lady] wore on her body were red, but the glow did not seem to come from her clothing. As a matter of fact, besides her clothes, every part of her body seemed to glow, especially her eyes and her dimples. Each one of them felt that her eyes were on him, that she was smiling right at him. If a smile really had the magical power to bring down a city wall, it undoubtedly would be the same type of smile as hers.

Yan Qi shifted his body unintentionally, or perhaps intentionally, so that it obstructed Guo DaLu’s view. No matter what, if he could prevent his friend from seeing this woman’s captivating smile, then it would be the best thing to do. Shouldn’t every person make sure his friends have distanced themselves from sin?

Her gaze floated over them. Unexpectedly, she exclaimed, “Why must you men all have that d*mn, frigging look…?”

This was the first sentence she said. At this point, she paused a moment, as if she was deliberately allowing the words, “d*mn frigging” to leave a slightly deeper impression on these men’s minds. She seemed to know that the men in this house enjoyed using those words and also liked hearing them. From her lips, though, these words seemed to carry a particular feel.

In that moment that she had paused, there was someone who could not restrain his curiosity. “What look do we men have?” The voice had come from behind Yan Qi. Yan Qi could block Guo DaLu’s eyes, but he could not obstruct his ears, nor could he stuff up his mouth.

Hong NiangZi: “Why is it that every time you see a woman, it is as if you have seen a ghost, and you do not even dare to let out a fart?” She wrinkled her nose, and the smile that Yan Qi did not want Guo DaLu to see appeared on her face. Softly, she added, “There should at least be one person amongst you who will invite me inside first.” In reality, she had not even finished this comment before she was already inside the room. Every person there knew who she was and what she was there to do. Seeing her walk in should have made them enraged and tense.

However, Yan Qi suddenly sensed that as Guo DaLu and Lin TaiPing looked at her, not only did their eyes not contain any hatred or nervousness, they in fact seemed to carry a smile. Even Yan Qi, himself, was wavering slightly and was a bit uncertain. In his mind, Hong NiangZi should not be someone like this. Ever since she had said “d*mn, frigging,” the atmosphere inside the room seemed to have shifted and people’s impression of her had completely changed. A devilish seductress who was venomous like a snake and scorpion should not speak in such a manner. Only now did Yan Qi discover that her arms were carrying a food basket.

She plopped the basket heavily onto the table and removed her hands lightly before letting out a little breath. “A woman just carried such a heavy basket and walked for half a shi chen [1 shi chen = 2 hours] just to bring something to all of you. Her arms are so tired they could snap. Do all of you not even have a little bit of gratitude toward her?”

Wang Dong’s voice was icy as he stated, “No one asked you to bring anything here. In fact, nobody wants you here.”

It was only then that Hong NiangZi glanced at him from the corner of her eye. She seemed to be angry, yet not really angry, smiling, yet not really smiling. Gnawing on her lip, she addressed him, “Let me ask you: are these people your friends?”

Wang Dong: “Yes.”

With a faint sigh, she said, “You can watch your friends suffer from hunger, but I cannot.”

Wang Dong: “Whether they are suffering from hunger or not does not concern you.”

Hong NiangZi: “Why should it not concern me? Your friends are also my friends. As their dasao [eldest brother’s wife], how can I just watch as my brothers endure hunger?”

Yan Qi could not help butting in, “Who is Dasao?”

Hong NiangZi giggled, “You are all Wang Laoda’s good friends. How could you not know who Wang Dasao is?”

Lifting up the cloth that was covering the basket, she said charmingly, “Today Dasao is treating. You do not need to be polite. If you do not eat, then you are just pointlessly not eating.”

Yan Qi: “And if we eat?”

“Then you are pointlessly eating,” she laughed in reply.

Yan Qi looked at her. The expression on his face was like he had just been slapped.

After a long while, she turned to face Wang Dong. “Do all of you believe that the stuff I brought has been poisoned?”

Hong NiangZi: “And I not only want to poison other people, I also want to poison you?”

Hong NiangZi’s eyes grew red. Whipping her head around suddenly, she grabbed a chicken drumstick from out of the basket. Her voice was hoarse as she demanded, “If that is so, the chicken drumstick must have poison inside?”

Wang Dong: “Very likely.”

Hong NiangZi: “Fine… fine…” She took a bite out of the drumstick and swallowed. Snatching up a pitcher of wine, she challenged, “Inside the wine, is there also poison?”

Wang Dong: “Also very likely.”

Hong NiangZi: “Fine.” She took a drink of the wine as well. Basically, she consumed one mouthful of anything that was in the basket before she lifted her head and, with wide eyes, challenged Wang Dong, “Now what do you think?”

Wang Dong did not even think before answering instantly, “Still the same as before.”

Hong NiangZi: “You still think they are poisoned?”

Her tears were about to spill over, but she forced herself to hold them back. A long time went by until she nodded her head slowly and said dejectedly, “I know what you are thinking.”

Wang Dong: “You should have known long ago.”

Hong NiangZi: “You believe I had taken the antidote first before I came?”

Wang Dong: “Hmph.”

Her voice was anguished. “All along, you have believed that I am a woman whose heart is more venomous than a serpent or scorpion, and you still think that the reason I have been kind to you is only because I want to use you.” As her words reached this point, she, at last, could not stop her tears from flowing.

As they listened to this point, their lips did not say anything, but Guo DaLu and Lin TaiPing’s hearts, which had already been softened long ago, were starting to feel that the way Wang Dong was treating her really was rather unreasonable. No matter what, in the past, they had once had feelings for another. If it had been Guo DaLu in his place, he may have already taken her into his arms by now.

But there still was not even a trace of expression on Wang Dong’s face. This man’s heart practically seemed to be forged of iron.

They watched as Hong NiangZi took every item she had pulled out and slowly placed them one at a time back into the basket again. Biting her lip, she told Wang Dong, “Fine. If you think they are poisoned, I will take them and leave.”

Wang Dong: “It would be best if you hurried up and took them away.”

Hong NiangZi’s body was quivering, and with a tremble her voice, she said, “If you believe that all along, I have always acted with bad intentions toward you, then I will never come here to see you again.”

Wang Dong: “You never should have come in the first place.”

Hong NiangZi: “I… I only want to ask you one thing…” She suddenly rushed right up in front of Wang Dong, and demanded in a hoarse voice, “Let me ask you: ever since you met me, did I ever do a single thing that has wronged you?”

Wang Dong suddenly could not speak.

Hong NiangZi had clenched her hands tightly into fists, but she still could not stop her entire body from shaking as she rasped, “It is true; I really am not a good person. I really have brought harm to many men. But what I feel for you… When did I ever harm you? Tell me. Tell me.”

“There is nothing for us to say to each other now,” Wang Dong responded, his tone cold.

She was silent for a long while, then slowly nodded her head once again as she sadly said, “Fine. I’ll leave. I’ll leave… You can rest assured. This time, after I leave, I will never come back again to find you.” She turned around deliberately, picked up her basket, then walked out slowly.

Guo DaLu stared at the outline of her lonely and fragile back, watched her gradually head towards that cold and dark courtyard… The wind was blowing very hard in the courtyard, swirling up the flakes of snow that had accumulated. In the blink of an eye, the wind had scattered those flakes, blown them away completely. Would she also be like the snow, blown apart in the blink of an eye, completely blown away? Guo DaLu felt an aching in his heart. His only wish was that Wang Dong’s heart would soften and would allow this poor woman to stay. But Wang Dong’s heart seemed to be cast of iron. He watched with open eyes as she walked outside, not a trace of emotion on his face. Guo DaLu stared as she crossed over the threshold, nearly unable to bear it and wanting to ask for Wang Dong for her to stay.

All of a sudden, Hong NiangZi’s body twitched, like she had been whipped unexpectedly. Then, she collapsed. The instant she hit the ground, her four limbs had already convulsed together. That pale face had turned a dark purple color, her eyes had rolled backwards, and her mouth was spewing out white foam. The foam had traces of blood inside.

Yan Qi’s face transformed rapidly as he exclaimed, “The food she brought really was poisoned.”
    Last edited by Hoju!; 03-25-08 at 01:38 AM. Reason: Punctuation

Thank you so much for the translation Hoju.

You are doing a great job and it was a pleasure for me to read all the chapters, now despite the fact that I was frugal with my reading, I have reached the place where all wuxia fans eagerly wait for an update!

This story is gripping, and at the same time it is heart-warming to see the friendship between the 4.

Thx so much for the awesome translation, Hoju!

So many unanswered questions! What was she thinking during her last moments? Did she ever love old Wang? Or did she just use him all along? Did they ever marry as she implied? Yet, she always spoke the truth, "If you believe that all along, I have always acted with bad intentions toward you, then I will never come here to see you again." Notice she never said that her offerings were NOT poisoned.

Very interesting situation and dialogue with minimal interference from the others in Happy Manor.
    Last edited by 9Dragons; 03-25-08 at 12:06 PM.

If this is not some trick and she's really dead, then I feel bad for her because it looks like she really cared for Wang.

RWX's 2 cents: I bet the food is not poisoned, but that she herself ingested poison before hand! That would be the Gulong type of thing to do.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

very interesting. it could be that she was already poisoned prior to bringing the food. the food was also poisoned. she could only get the antidote if she killed wang.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

So, let's see whose prediction was correct.

Yan Qi’s face transformed rapidly as he exclaimed, “The food she brought really was poisoned.”

Guo DaLu rushed in to point out, “But she, herself, definitely did not know; otherwise, why would she be poisoned too?”

But Wang Dong still stood there like a stone statue, not moving at all, as if he did not even see any of this.

Even Yan Qi was slightly anxious and he could not help blurting out, “Wang Laoda, no matter what, you should first go take a look at her…”

Wang Dong: “Look at what?”

Yan Qi: “Look and see what type of poison she has ingested. Can she still be saved?”

Wang Dong: “Not worth looking at.”

Unable to contain himself, Guo DaLu yelled, “What is wrong with you? How can you not even have a bit of humanity in you?” If Yan Qi had not been holding him down, he would have been trying to pull himself up already.

They watched as Hong NiangZi continued to convulse and gasp incessantly, but she still was calling out continuously, “Wang Dong…. Wang Dong…”

At last, Wang Dong could not help himself and let out a lengthy sigh. “I am here.”

Hong NiangZi was struggling to stretch out her hand. “You… come here… please…”

Gritting his teeth together, Wang Dong answered, “If you have anything you would like to say, I am here listening.”

Hong NiangZi: “I did not know… truly did not know that stuff was poisoned. I really did not come here to harm you… you… you must believe me.”

Wang Dong had not yet replied before Guo DaLu could not restrain himself from loudly shouting, “I believe you. We all believe you.”

She gave a sorrowful smile. “Scarlet Serpent and the others think that you have wronged them. Even though they want to come kill you, I… I never had that idea.” Her knees were drawn to her chest. Her clothes were already soaked with cold sweat and she struggled to continue, “I may not be a good woman, but to you, I have always been true and sincere. As long as you understand my feelings, even if I… I should die, I will do so willingly…” After finishing the last sentence, she seemed to have used up the last of her strength so that she could not even struggle.

Guo DaLu was clenching his teeth as he demanded, “If you heard that, why are you still standing there not moving?”

Wang Dong: “How should I be moving?”

Guo DaLu: “She has become this way all because of you. Can you not think of a way to save her?”

Wang Dong: “How do you think I should save her?”

Lin TaiPing suddenly interrupted, “If you could neutralize the venom from the weapons that struck Xiao Guo, you should be able to neutralize her poison.”

Shaking his head, Wang Dong replied slowly, “That was different, completely different.”

Guo DaLu: “What is different?”

Wang Dong suddenly was silent again. Although, with difficulty, he was keeping control of himself, his eyes seemed to show the light of tears. Those were not just tears of sorrow but also seemed to be tears filled with rage. His fingers were trembling.

Yan Qi mulled, “If even Wang Laoda cannot cure her of the poison, then there is only one person in the world who can.”

Guo DaLu: “Who?”

Yan Qi: “Scarlet Serpent.”

Guo DaLu: “That’s right. We should go demand the antidote from Scarlet Serpent.”

Yan Qi heaved a sigh. “I am afraid that will be very hard to do.” Demanding the antidote from Scarlet Serpent was basically as difficult as making a tiger skin his own coat off. Naturally, Guo DaLu understood this idea.

The sound of Hong NiangZi’s gasping was gradually growing weaker, but she still continued to call out Wang Dong’s name faintly. “Wang Dong…. Wang Dong….”

Guo DaLu was heartbroken as he listened to the sound of her voice get quieter and quieter. Unable to hold himself back again, he yelled, “If none of you can save her and you are not willing to get the antidote from Scarlet Serpent, then are you just going watch like this as she dies in front of you? Are you all even human?”

Sighing another time, Yan Qi asked him, “Then what do you think we should do?”

Guo DaLu: “Even Scarlet Serpent would not just watch as she dies from poison. You guys…”

The whole time, Lin TaiPing had been sitting there staring off into the distance, but now, he cut in and declared loudly. “That is right. Scarlet Serpent will definitely not just watch as she dies, so we should first take her back.” Although this plan was not a good one, it could be considered the only plan out of no possible plans.

With knit brows, Yan Qi stated, “The question is, who will bring her back?”

Guo DaLu: “Hmph.” Though he did not say anything, he was staring at Wang Dong from the corner of his eye. Of course it should be Wang Dong who took her back. If he even had a tiny bit of conscience left, he should not just watch as she died there.

But Wang Dong did not show any trace of reaction, as if he did not understand what they were saying, or as if he was an idiot. Naturally, Wang Dong was not an idiot. He was pretending to be stupid.

Once again, Guo DaLu could not control himself and hollered out, “Fine. None of you are going to take her back; I will take her back.” Using the most strength he had ever used in his life, he jumped to his feet. Yan Qi immediately wrapped his arms tightly around him.

Wang Dong turned his head to look at them. His eyes were filled with sorrow and pity. Nobody knew what he was actually thinking in his heart. After a long time, he finally stomped his foot and announced, “Alright. I will bring her back.” He turned his head back and was going to pick up Hong NiangZi.

All of a sudden, like an arrow, Lin TaiPing dashed over and forcefully ran into him, knocking him back seven or eight feet so that he fell into the corner of the wall. In that instant, Lin TaiPing had already picked up Hong NiangZi. The look on Wang Dong’s face changed rapidly and he cried, “What are you trying to do?”

Lin TaiPing cut off his words. “Only I can bring her back. Yan Qi needs to take care of Xiao Guo. You are a nail in her eye. If you go, they will not let you off so easily.” His lips were still speaking as he walked outside.

Wang Dong leapt to his feet and rushed over toward him, shouting loudly, “Hurry and put her down. Hurry…”

Amidst the shouting, Lin TaiPing suddenly cried out in alarm. That Hong NiangZi, who had been gasping her last breath, all of a sudden shot up from his arms like a poisonous serpent. With a somersault in midair, she had flown out three zhang [3 zhang = 10 ft], and in the blink of an eye, she had faded into the darkness. All they heard was her chime-like laughter resonating back from a distance. “B**stard surnamed Wang! You watch the dying but you refuse to rescue. You truly have a callous heart. You are not a good person.” When she spoke this last sentence, she was already far away. All that was left was that laughter, clearer than the sound from silver bells and more pleasing to the ear, floating on the wind.

Such a cold wind.

Silver bells that could absorb the soul.

Lin TaiPing was crumpled on the snow-covered ground. On his chest, there was now a dark spot of blood.
    Last edited by Hoju!; 03-27-08 at 01:11 AM.

damn.. that is one nasty b**ch... i feel sorry for anyone knowing her... who will save Lin Taiping this time.. nasty. real nasty

thanks Hoju!.. i waited for this update ^_^
    Last edited by little Fish; 03-27-08 at 01:08 AM. Reason: adding thanks

wang dong can save.... ofcourse, LTP's mom is a top fighter ...she too can do some thing if she knows!

Oh she really is a bad person. But WD understood her and didn't fall for her tricks.

Thank you so much Hoju

hmm. i thought yan who has died 8 times would know better than to fall for another woman's trick than that. wow, i really have overestimated her experience...poor wang, being ridiculed by his own friends over knowing better than to trust such a sly woman.

poor lin for being the hero and taking the bait...now i really want to see how he'll be saved and by who.

I'm going to be going home (yay!) for the next week and a bit. I don't know if I will have internet, so unfortunately, I'm not certain I will be able to provide updates. Hope this ties ppl over.

No one moved. No one spoke. Even the last traces of that sweet laughter were blown away by the cold wind.

They did not know how much time had passed before Wang Dong finally walked over slowly and picked up Lin TaiPing. His expression was colder than the wind, darker than the night.

Guo DaLu’s tears were falling. Yan Qi was looking at him and his face was covered with tears also. In a gentle voice, he comforted, “Do not be grieved. This cannot be blamed on you.” Things were still fine before he said this, but once he said it, how could Guo DaLu hold it back? How could he bear it? He all of a sudden broke down and started weeping like a child.

Another unknown amount of time passed until Wang Dong slowly lifted his head. “He is not dead yet.”

Yan Qi was stunned and thrilled at the same time as he blurted out, “He can still be saved?”

Wang Dong nodded.

Yan Qi: “What must be done in order to save him?” Once he said this, the expression on his face changed again. This was because he suddenly comprehended. There was only one method in the entire world that could save Lin TaiPing – the most terrible method. He gazed at Wang Dong, unable to control the fear from showing in his eyes, because he knew what Wang Dong was thinking.

Wang Dong certainly knew what Yan Qi was thinking. His face, surprisingly, was very calm as he said without emotion, “You should know what has to be done to save him.”

Yan Qi shook his head forcefully. “That method will not work.”

Wang Dong: “It will.”

Yan Qi’s voice was loud. “Absolutely will not.”

Wang Dong: “Even if it will not work, it still has to work because we are in a position where we have no other choice.”

Yan Qi suddenly collapsed, falling into a chair. He seemed unable to carry on.

Guo DaLu was staring at them with wide eyes, his face still streaked with tears. He could not help asking, “Which method are you two talking about?”

No one answered him; no one even opened their mouths.

Guo DaLu asked in angst, “Why won’t you tell me?”

Yan Qi breathed a light sigh. “Even if you know, it is no use,” he answered.

Guo DaLu: “Why would there be no use? If I had not come up with some stupid idea, Lin TaiPing would not be like this now. I am in more anguish than anyone else, and more anxious to save him than anyone else.”

In a cold voice, Wang Dong said, “You are only able to save one person right now.”

Guo DaLu: “Who?”

Wang Dong: “Yourself.”

“The injuries you sustained were not light,” Yan Qi told him gently. “If you let your mind wander to foolish thoughts, I am afraid you will not even be able to preserve your own life.”

Guo DaLu glared at them. He suddenly asked, “Were the weapons that struck me poisoned?”

Yan Qi: “Uh huh.”

Guo DaLu: “Who saved me?”

Yan Qi: “Wang Laoda.”

Guo DaLu: “Since Wang Laoda was able to cure my poison, why can he not cure Lin TaiPing’s?” Yan Qi refused to open his mouth to answer. Guo DaLu continued to press, “The poison on their projectile weapons should be of the same type, right?”

Yan Qi was quiet for another long period of time. At last, he exhaled a lengthy sigh. “Why must you ask until everything is so clear?”

Guo DaLu snapped back loudly, “Why can I not ask until things are clear? If you guys do not tell me, I will… I will…” He smacked the bedcovers fiercely, so angry that he could not speak.

With clenched teeth, Yan Qi relented, “Alright. I will tell you. The venom that was used to poison you and Lin TaiPing is truly one that belongs solely to Scarlet Serpent, and so, only his special antidote can cure it.”

Guo DaLu: “But Wang Laoda…”

Yan Qi: “When Wang Laoda was planning on separating himself from them, he secretly hid away some of Scarlet Serpent’s special antidote in preparation for any eventuality.”

Guo DaLu: “Where is the antidote?”

Speaking each word deliberately, Yan Qi replied, “It was completely used up while saving you.”

“Completely used up?” Guo DaLu exclaimed.

Yan Qi: “Not even a bit was left.” Gnawing on his lip, he continued, “That antidote was supposed to be used to save himself, but he used it all to save you. I had originally thought that he had kept some, but he was worried that your poisoning was too severe and the antidote portion was not enough, so…” As he reached this point, his eyes grew red and he could speak no further. Only he knew this because at the time, Lin TaiPing had been standing guard outside.

Guo DaLu’s hands were balled up into two fists. Beads of sweat the size of soy beans were dripping over his face. After a long while, he finally muttered, “I am the one who harmed Lin TaiPing. The only bit of antidote that could save him was used up by me. I really have my ways; I am so amazing.”

Yan Qi stated sadly, “This is something nobody could have thought of. You did not ask us to…”

His voice raspy, Guo Dalu interrupted, “That is right. I did not ask you to save me. You guys insisted on doing it that way. But why did you never think about the fact that this way, I will not be able to continue living with an unburdened heart?”

Wang Dong’s face hardened. “You have no choice but to continue living. Since I have already saved you, even if you want to die, you will not be permitted to.”

Guo DaLu: “But Lin TaiPing…”

In a quiet voice, Wang Dong cut him off, “You do not need to worry about him. If I can save you, then of course I have ways to save him.”

Guo DaLu grit his teeth together. “I now finally know what method you are going to use save him.”

Wang Dong: “Oh?”

Guo DaLu: “You are going to go ask Scarlet Serpent for the antidote, right?” With his jaw clenched tightly, he added, “You were not willing to go before only because you know Hong NiangZi too well. But now, for Lin TaiPing, even if you had to give your own life in exchange for the antidote, you would still insist on going.”

There was an indifferent smile on Wang Dong’s face as he responded, “Do you really think that ‘Flies, Soaring into the Sky’ King of Eagles is such a good person?”

Guo DaLu: “I do not know any King of Eagles. I only know Wang Dong, and I am also very aware of what sort of person Wang Dong is.”

Wang Dong: “Oh?”

The sparkle of tears could be seen in Guo DaLu’s eyes. “This person, Wang Dong’s face always appears to be cold and hard, but in reality, his heart is softer than tofu and hotter than fire.”

Wang Dong was silent. At last, he said softly, “Since you really understand me, then you should know that if I want to do something, nobody will be able to stop me.”

Guo DaLu: “You should know me very well too. When I want to do something, nobody can stop me either.”

Wang Dong: “What do you want to do?”

Guo DaLu: “Go get the antidote from Scarlet Serpent.”

The look on Yan Qi’s face changed and he protested, “How can you go?”

Guo DaLu: “I must go, and furthermore, only I can go.”

Yan Qi: “But your wounds…”

Guo DaLu: “It is because I am wounded that there is even more reason you should let me go.” He did not let anyone speak and carried on, “We only have two people left now. Two people to handle three of them is arduous enough already, so you guys must not get injured too. Otherwise, it will only be the road of death for all of us.”

Yan Qi: “These words are logical, but…”

Guo DaLu cut off what he was saying. “But we absolutely cannot watch as Lin TaiPing dies from the poison. Therefore, you really can only let me go, since I am hurt already and cannot help out in any way. In addition…” He chuckled lightly before continuing, “Scarlet Serpent and those others at least are still human beings. They would not strike a vicious blow to someone who does not even have the strength to defend himself.”

Wang Dong gave a cold smirk. “You think they will not kill you?”

Guo DaLu: “I think they likely will not.”

Wang Dong: “Do you understand them or do I?”

Guo DaLu: “You.”

Wang Dong: “Then I will tell you: there is only one type of person they will not kill.”

Guo DaLu: “What type?”

Wang Dong: “A dead person.”

Suddenly, the sound of laughter that was like silver bells was carried in on the wind. Yan Qi dashed out and saw a light yellow kite floating down slowly from the sky. The kite was a four-sided shape and drawn on it with a bright red brush were some curvy symbols. Now Yan Qi knew that this was not a kite, but rather, was a “life hastening” talisman that meant your funeral was coming shortly after you saw it. No one could read what was written on the talisman. Only someone who had been to hell before could understand it.

Wang Dong could understand it.

That light yellow kite was covered with bright red talisman charms. The red was like blood, like the fire in hell. Wang Dong stared intently at it. He could not stop a look of fear from showing within his cold gaze.

Yan Qi did not look at the kite; his gaze was fixated on Wang Dong’s eyes. Although he did not comprehend the meaning of those charms, he could comprehend that look in Wang Dong’s eyes. He could not help asking, “What is written on it?”

Wang Dong was quiet for a long time. He still had not given an answer, but instead, pushed open the window and stared out into the dim light of the night sky. The stars were gradually becoming sparse; the night was approaching its end. In the ashen light of the night, there was another kite slowly rising up.

Wang Dong breathed a slight sigh. “The sky will be bright soon.”

Yan Qi: “The sky will definitely be bright again.”

Wang Dong: “And I definitely must go.”

Yan Qi’s face went pale. “Why?”

Wang Dong: “Because if I am not able to hurry to the spot beneath that kite before daybreak, Lin TaiPing will die.”