Page 19 of 37 FirstFirst ... 91011121314151617181920212223242526272829 ... LastLast

Thread: A Happy Hero

offfff...........story is really exciting me to death!

Chapter 23 continued.....
    --------------------------------------------------

The sky was going to be light soon.

Dawn usually brought to people brightness, joy, and hope. But now, what it brought for Wang Dong and the others was only death.

“Before daybreak, if Wang Dong is not standing beneath the kite waiting, Lin TaiPing will die.” That was the meaning behind the symbols on the talisman. It was saying Wang Dong had no choice but to go, no choice but to die.

Guo DaLu cried out, “I told you already that only I can go. Nobody even think about trying to stop me.”

Wang Dong’s voice was distant. “Fine. You can go, but regardless of whether you go or not, I still must go.”

Guo DaLu: “Since I am going, why do you still need to go?”

Wang Dong: “Because the person they want is me, not you.”

Yan Qi rushed in to point out, “Even if you go, they may not give you the antidote. You should understand this even better than I do.”

Wang Dong: “I understand.”

Yan Qi: “This is just their ploy to ‘entice the soldier.’ It is only trap. They have undoubtedly set up an ambush there and are just waiting for you to bite the hook.”

Wang Dong: “I also understand this point more than you do.”

Yan Qi: “But you still insist on going?”

Wang Dong: “You want me to just watch as Lin TaiPing dies?”

Lin TaiPing’s breathing had grown weak already. His teeth were grit tightly and his face was starting to show an aura of death. Anyone could tell that he was not far away from death.

In a gloomy tone of voice, Yan Qi said, “We cannot watch him die, but we also cannot watch as you send yourself into death.”

Wang Dong’s smile was nonchalant as he asked, “How do you know for sure that I am sending myself to die? Maybe I will return very quickly with the antidote?”

Yan Qi gave him a fierce look. “Are you trying to deceive us or deceive yourself?”

Wang Dong finally heaved a sigh. “I know that the hope of being able to come back here is not a big one, but as long as there is even a bit of hope, I will go.”

Yan Qi: “What if there is not even a bit of hope?”

Wang Dong: “I will still go.” The way he said this sentence was resolute and decisive. There was no leeway for him turn back.

Yan Qi suddenly rose to his feet and declared loudly, “Alright, you go. I will go with you.”

Wang Dong nodded his head slowly. “Yes, you come too. Those who can go should go and leave those who are not able to move right here to wait for people to come slaughter them.”

Yan Qi could not speak.

“Then what is it you want us to do?” Guo DaLu blurted. Why don’t you just say it out clearly?”

Wang Dong: “I go alone; you guys bring Lin TaiPing down the mountain and wait for me.”

Guo DaLu: “And then?”

Wang Dong: “And then you think of a way to get a carriage. Regardless of whether you have to steal or rob, you must get ahold of one.”

Guo DaLu: “And then?”

Wang Dong: “And then you will sit inside the carriage and wait. If the sun sets and I still have not come to find you, then you will hurry and get out of this place.”

Guo DaLu: “And after we get out of here, where do we go?”

Wang Dong smiled; it was a rather dismal sort of smile. “The world is big; what places are there that you cannot go?”

Guo DaLu was nodding his head slowly now, too. “Yes. Good plan. You should get credit for thinking up such plan!”

Wang Dong: “It may not be a good plan, but it is the only plan we have.”

Guo DaLu: “Very nice. You are risking your life for Lin TaiPing, but you are allowing us to be like dogs and flee with our tails between our legs. You are a good friend, but you want us to be animals.”

Wang Dong’s face hardened. “Do you have some other idea?”

Guo DaLu: “I only have one.”

Wang Dong: “Say it.”

Guo DaLu: “If we live, then we will all live together happily. If we die, then we will also die together cheerfully.”

Guo DaLu was Guo DaLu. He was not Wang Dong, nor was he Yan Qi. Perhaps he did not have Wang Dong’s calm and composure, and maybe he did not have Yan Qi’s resourcefulness and intelligence. But he was d*mn frigging frank, and he had d*mn frigging guts.

When the wind blew, the cold, ash-colored fog rose up from remote areas. The ghost light had disappeared inside that fog.

Who said that there were no ghosts in this world? Who said?

Right at that very moment, floating in the fog, was that not a roving soul that even hell had refused to take in? Nobody could see his face clearly. That was because his face was also the color of cold ashes. He seemed to have become one with this dreary and hazy fog. His nose had melded into the mist; his lips had also melded into the mist. All that was left was that pair of eyes that looked like ghost lights. There was no light in those eyes, and you could not distinguish between white and dark parts of it, yet they were filled with a malicious quality, as if they were cursing every matter in the world, every person. No matter where the gaze of these eyes touched, that place seemed to immediately be tainted by an ominous fate. Right then, those eyes were slowly surveying all directions. Every secluded area, every flake of snow that had collected, he did not let a single one slip by his gaze.

And then, the faint trace of a smile was seen in his eyes. No one could ever imagine how vicious that smile actually was, how frightful.

At that moment, laughter like the chime of silver bells rang from within the fog – not silver bells, but bells that absorbed the soul. Hong NiangZi materialized from that dense fog like an apparition and, with a smile, said, “Everything is all ready?”

The wandering soul nodded his head slowly. “Unless he does not come. If he comes, he has no hope of going back alive.”

Hong NiangZi’s eyes were sparkling as she asked, “Do you think he will come?”

Wandering soul: “What do you say?”

She blinked at him. “Why must I be the one to say?”

Wandering soul: “You understand him better than I do.”

Smilingly, she walked over towards him and looked at him from the corner of her eye. “Are you sipping vinegar [jealous]?”

Wandering soul: “Hmph!”

Hong NiangZi: “Do you really think I am interested in him?”

That malicious look in his eyes grew even stronger as he spat, “When he was around, you never even spent one day with me.”

Hong NiangZi: “Have you already forgotten who told me to do it?”

The wandering soul did not answer.

Hong NiangZi’s smile was chilly as she reminded, “In order to win him over, you told me to go sleep with him, but now, you are turning around and blaming me. Do you have a conscience?”

Wandering soul: “No.”

HongNiangZi giggled, “I never thought that, once in a while, you would speak the truth.”

Wandering soul: “And you?”

Hong NiangZi: “In front of you, all my words are true.”

Wandering soul: “If I did not tell you to go sleep with him, would you not have done it?”

Hong NiangZi: “I still would have.”

Wandering soul: “Why?”

In a captivating voice, she stated, “Because I am fond of sleeping with men.”

Through clenched teeth, he questioned, “What type of men do you like to sleep with?”

Hong NiangZi: “Besides you, I like any type of men.” That malicious look in his eyes had transformed into one of pain, but his eyes unexpectedly lit up. As Hong NiangZi looked into his eyes, she asked him, “Are you done with your questions?”

Suddenly, he seized her by the hair and, with a backhand swipe, slapped her hard across the face while he rasped, “You cheap b**ch.”

Hong NiangZi was neither frightened nor angry but rather, smiled even more sweetly. “I have always been a cheap b**ch, but you are even cheaper than me.” The wandering soul slapped her again. Her smile did not cease. “You not only like it when I go sleep with other men, you also like to ask me and ask me everyday. I have lost track of the number of times you have asked me these same words.” Without allowing him to speak, she continued, “It is because you like those words. You like being tortured by me. Only in times that I am torturing you are you a human and are you happy.”

With a low growl in his throat, the wandering soul pulled her roughly towards him.

Hong Niang Zi chortled, “You want to again…?”

All of a sudden, they heard someone coldly cut her off, “Now is not the time for flirtatious and teasing banter.” That voice was so cold it was like ice. That was because it was coming from beneath the accumulated snow.

“It turns out he is already inside the snow,” Hong NiangZi laughed. A face suddenly emerged from the snow – a face even more frightening than that of a corpse. Hong NiangZi addressed the face, “How is it down there?”

Scarlet Serpent replied, “Very nice and cool.”

Hong NiangZi giggled, “It is rather difficult to find a place in this world that is more pleasantly cool than there.”

Scarlet Serpent: “Did you want to burrow in here and have a sleep with me too?”

Hong NiangZi: “As long as you wait patiently inside there, I will come in sooner or later.”

The wandering soul gave a chilly laugh as he said, “Too bad he has no appetite for you.”

Scarlet Serpent glanced up at the sky, then pointed out quickly, “The time is getting late. You should hurry up and die.”

Wandering soul: “Do you think he may not come?”

Hong NiangZi: “He will.”

Wandering soul hurriedly asked, “Why is that?”

Hong NiangZi: “Because besides you, he is treats all his friends quite well.”

The wandering soul lifted his head to look at the sky also. The dawn sky had already turned white. It was time for all the lonely souls and drifting ghosts of the world to go back. “I am going to die now.”

Hong NiangZi: “Hurry up and go die then.”

Walking slowly over towards the front of a neglected grave, the wandering soul took out a porcelain bottle and placed it on the burial mound. And then, he suddenly disappeared into the grave.

Hong NiangZi breathed out a very long sigh and murmured, “If he would stay in there forever, that would be so nice.”

Scarlet Serpent: “Why?”

She lowered her head and gazed at him, her eyes teary and her voice gentle. “Is it not nice that there is only the two of us here?”

Scarlet Serpent’s response was cold: “That will have to wait until all the other women in the world are dead before we talk about it.”

She tore over to him, spat into his face, and sputtered hatefully, “Are you human?”

With a wicked smile, he answered, “No.” Then, before he had finished, that face had already disappeared back into the snow.

Hong NiangZi was still for a while, like she had matters troubling her heart. After much time had passed, her body flew up into the sky and immediately faded away into the fog.

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

i like this hong niangzi character. she seems a bit more unique then other vicious females in gu long novel. this novel seems more unique then other fighters fighting for supremancy novels.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

these ppl r disappearing juz like a horror movie scene...
    Last edited by rati4u; 04-03-08 at 01:00 AM.

actually she reminds me very much of the character of the evil lady in Little Lee's flying dagger.. forgot her name.. but both.. use their feminine charms to win over pretty much all men, except for our hero!! hehe :-)

Thank you Hoju! Have a nice holiday and come back soon please.

Yeah I agree that this vicious female is not different from the standart evil female in Gu Long's novels. Serpent seems particularly vicious.

Of course as usual I like the strong silent type (Wang Dong) of the Gu Long better than the hero.

I hate hong Nianzi the promiscous wench i hope that with this new development within the novel that this is the beggining of the formation of a new great jianghu mansion consisting of our heroes! Thank you for the updates Hoju! i love this series it is highly entertaining!

When the wind blew by, that dense fog that was the color of cold ashes seemed to make the earth grow hazy. The heavens and the earth were all ash-colored. Desolate. Cold snow. There was no one; there was not even a ghost. All that remained was a single kite drifting slowly downward. Not a kite – it was the talisman charm of the life-hastening ghost.

The kite was down. The heavens were covered in grayish-white; nothing could be seen.

WangDong was strolling unhurriedly down the road. His face still did not carry a trace of emotion on it. Even if there was fear in his heart, it would never show on his face. No matter who it may be, if a person experienced the pain and torment that he had experienced, then that person would also learn how to store his emotions in his heart – all sorts of feelings would get stored. Feelings, though, are like wine. The deeper and longer you store them, the stronger and more intense they will become

Right now, he was alone. Naturally, his friends had not come along. Did they desert him, or was he able to convince them? No one knew. No one was able to tell from the look on his face. But everyone knew that ‘there is no banquet in the world that will not come to an end.’ Regardless of how good friends you may be, sooner or later, there will be a time when you will have to part your ways. In life, gatherings are impermanent and ever-changing. Whether it be coming together or moving apart, why should you take it to heart?

The sky was hazy, but at least there was now light. And though he was walking slowly, at least he had reached his destination. Life is like this also; many things are like this. Why should you be so rushed?

The wind was still very cold, cold like a blade slicing into his face. He walked slowly through that desolate graveyard, silently counting the number of tombstones. Some of them were toppled over; some had been eroded away by the wind and snow so that the characters on them were no longer discernible. Who lay inside these graves? There was no longer anyone who cared. When they were alive, did they not also have their own times of glory and shame, joy and sorrow? Yet now, they had nothing. So then, why should you always place thoughts of life and death, honor and shame on your mind?

Wang Dong gave a faint sigh, but then, his footsteps suddenly ceased. It was because he could hear the sound of Hong NiangZi’s laughter.

With her silver bell-like laughter, she chimed, “I had known that you would come, and now you have come.”

Wang Dong: “I have come.” He had spotted her already, standing beneath a snow-covered, leafless tree, still dressed in bright red garments, almost like the first time he had laid eyes on her. But time that has slipped away will not come back, and happiness and sorrows that have passed will fade from memory – even if they are not yet forgotten, sooner or later, they will fade.

Hong NiangZi stood in that place staring at him. In her eyes, was that anger? Resentment? Love? Hate? At last, she smiled. “You really did come for the purpose of getting the antidote for Lin TaiPing?”

Wang Dong: “Yes.”

She was biting her lip. “For me, you were not willing to come?”

Wang Dong: “Not willing.”

The sound of her laughter was very sorrowful. “Why is it that you always treat other friends better than you treat me?”

Wang Dong: “Because you are not my friend.”

Hong NiangZi: “I am not your friend? Could it be that you have forgotten how happy we were when we were together in the past?”

Wang Dong: “I have forgotten.”

Hong NiangZi shook her head at him. “No matter how firm the words you speak from your lips may be, I know that your heart has not forgotten in the least.” Her eyes were misty as she gently carried on, “Do you still remember? There was one day where we lay on the summit of Mount Hua with the white clouds as our blankets and the earth as our bed, and it seemed that we were the only two people left in the space between heaven and earth.” Her voice grew even more enchanting, more soft and tender. “And then, there was another time where we were lying together in that large boundless desert, counting the stars in the sky, until the two of us were buried beneath the sand… Are you able to forget these things?”

Wang Dong did not speak anymore. No one would ever be able to forget those things. Was he really able to forget? As he faced the first lover he had ever had in his life, was his heart really able to stay as calm as his face was?

Hong NiangZi stared intently at him, her eyes showing the reflection of tears. “I will never be able to forget any of these things. That is why I hate you; I hate you for not saying a single word to me before you left. I hate you so much I want you to die. But…” Her head lowered. “So long as you are willing to change your mind and heart, so long as you are willing to say one sentence, I will leave with you right now. Even if it is to the ends of the earth, I will still follow you."

Wang Dong suddenly yelled, “I am not going anywhere.” His voice was loud, as if he was trying to wake himself up from a dream.

She bit down on her own lip again as she asked, “If you will not go anywhere, then why did you come here?”

“I was forced,” he replied in his cold tone.

“Aside from this, there was no other reason?”

Wang Dong: “No.”

Hong NiangZi: “You did not want to come see me?”

Hong NiangZi’s suddenly became an ugly shade of blue, like a blue scorpion. The tenderness and sweet look in her eyes had disappeared. Stamping her foot forcefully, she announced, “Fine. The antidote is back there. Go get it yourself.” Wang Dong turned his head and saw the porcelain bottle on the grave. “This time, we were willing to give the antidote to you only because we still think of you as our friend. You had best take it and then hurry up and leave.”

There was still no expression on Wang Dong’s face. Regardless of what she said, he did not believe a single word. He knew that they definitely would not give him the antidote so easily. But he still walked over. He had no choice but to take that antidote. If that bottle was in water, then he would jump into the water. If that bottle was in a blazing fire, he would jump into the fire.

The snow was cold and soft. Wang Dong had only taken six or seven steps before he was able to reach his hand out and take ahold of the antidote. He reached out his hand. The bottle was very cold, like a corpse’s hand. He picked up the bottle. His hand was colder than the bottle. This was because he could already feel the breath of death.

A pair of hands suddenly stretched out from within the grave, sealing the “Huantiao” acupoint on his knee. At the same time, another pair of hands emerged from the snow and, with a wave, fired two cold points like stars into his ankles. He fell to his knees, kneeling in front of the grave. And only then did he see that there was a hole in the grave. That grave was actually fake; it was empty.

Hong NiangZi’s chime-like laughter rang out again. Her smile was sweet as she stated, “Now, there really is no need for you to go anywhere…”

Hongnianzi is so evil!!! These people are all evil. Poor Wang Dong, I hope that his friends can help him out.

thanks for the update hoju! i have faith in his friends and believe that they are only one or two steps behind him. can't wait to read on. i find hong much more ruthless than lin xin er although they are of the same kind: sly seductresses who use their body to get what they want. but hong is much more vindictive where as lin xin er was ambitious.
    Last edited by patricia n; 04-04-08 at 03:03 PM.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Hello everyone,

Hoju, I finally took the time to read A Happy Hero... I haven't reached the ch 23 yet, but, so far this is the GL's novel that I've been enjoying the most. I'm loving every single bit of it. Thank you so much for taking the time and hardwork to translate this novel.

Poste again when I reach ch 23.

Quote Originally Posted by eliza bennet View Post
    Hongnianzi is so evil!!! These people are all evil. Poor Wang Dong, I hope that his friends can help him out.
    i guess Hongnianzi may take side with our heroes in the end, u know Gu Long Style, he tries to be unpredictable
    Rose blooms best near death
    You are in full bloom, Pal!

Wang Dong knelt in front of the grave, his face still expressionless, but his complexion was now frighteningly pale. He understood these people very well and understood their schemes. He was waiting, waiting for them to execute their schemes.

At last, a voice was heard coming out from the grave: “You have lost.” He knew this was Cui MingFu’s voice. Regardless of where Cui MingFu was speaking from, his voice always sounded as if he was inside a grave.

“I have lost.” He could only admit defeat.

Cui MingFu sneered, “This time, you have no chance of recovering your losses.”

Wang Dong: “I don’t.”

Cui MingFu: “Do you know what you have lost?”

Wang Dong: “I only have my life to lose.”

Cui MingFu: “You have something else.”

Wang Dong: “What else do you want?”

Cui MingFu: “You should know. When hands reach out from a coffin, what are they asking for?”

Wang Dong: “Money?”

Cui MingFu: “Correct. I want money.”

Wang Dong: “If money is what you want, then you have gone to the wrong person.”

Cui MingFu: “I never go to the wrong person.”

Wang Dong: “I should be the one asking for money. I should have a claim in that shared ‘account.’ ”

Cui MingFu: “Of course you have your share, but you should not have pocketed the other four portions yourself.”

Wang Dong did not speak, but the look on his face suddenly grew very strange.

Cui MingFu: “In those few years, our income was not bad.”

Wang Dong: “Not bad at all.”

Cui MingFu: “Is it true that only the five of us knew how much our income actually was?”

Cui MingFu: “And is it also true that only the five of us knew how much of it we had actually saved and where we had hid it?”

Cui MingFu: “Was there a sixth person?”

Cui MingFu: “And whoever took that sum of money, regardless of who it was, would have enough to comfortably enjoy his lifetime?”

Wang Dong: “Even the most wasteful person would have enough.”

Cui MingFu: “But it was only after you left that we realized the only person who would be enjoying anything was you.”

Wang Dong: “You believe I took the sum of money with me?”

Cui MingFu: “Not a single cent is left of that money. Who do you think took it away?”

Wang Dong released a lengthy breath. “I now finally know for what reason you are here.”

Cui MingFu’s smile was chilly. “I had known long ago for what reason you had left. That sum of money was enough to make any person doublecross his friends.”

Wang Dong suddenly started laughing.

Cui MingFu: “Do you think we are very funny? Think we are a bunch of idiots?”

Wang Dong: “I am the idiot. Anyone who gets that sum of money would not choose to live the way I have been living unless he is an idiot.”

Cui MingFu: “What kind of life are you living?”

Wang Dong: “A life of poverty.”

Hong NiangZi: “Poverty?” She suddenly jumped up and, with her silver bell-like laugh, asked, “How poor are you?”

Wang Dong: “Very poor.”

Hong NiangZi: “We heard that in a single night, someone had lost tens of thousands of liang of silver at Kui Yuan Guan in Xiancheng. Who was this person?”

Wang Dong: “Me.”

Hong NiangZi: “We also heard that someone bought several hundred liang of silver worth of wine from Yan Mao Yuan Wine Shop at the foot of the mountain. Who was that?”

Wang Dong: “Me.”

Hong NiangZi: “There was also someone who recently put in all new furniture in his manor. Even the chairs in the small house at the back are made from sandalwood and are at least worth seven hundred liang of silver. Who was that?”

Wang Dong: “That cannot really be counted.”

Hong NiangZi: “We have already inquired about. Even though this place is called ‘Wealthy Manor,’ aside from the name, there is nothing else that has been wealthy about it since the previous generation.”

Wang Dong: “That is correct.”

Hong NiangZi: “And in these years, you have not gone out and done any business?”

Wang Dong answered nonchalantly, “If a person can stay at home and live comfortably, why would he go out?”

Hong NiangZi: “Money certainly cannot fall from the sky.”

Wang Dong: “But it can be dug up from the ground.”

In a charming voice, Hong NiangZi said, “I did not think you would admit to it so quickly.”

Wang Dong: “Could I not admit to it?”

Hong NiangZi: “No.”

Wang Dong: “So, since the answer is no, why wouldn’t I admit it?” He gave a smile, but that smile was very forced. “If all of you wanted to investigate someone’s background, you would dig up information on three generations of his ancestors. If you want someone to tell you something, even a mute would have no choice but to speak. I should at least understand this point better than anyone else.”

“That’s why there is no need for you to try and leave,” Cui MingFu coldly told him.

Wang Dong sighed, “Sadly, many people frequently will still do things that they should not be doing.”

Cui MingFu: “Fine. Let’s leave.”

Wang Dong: “Leave? To go where?”

Cui MingFu: “To get back our three shares.”

Wang Dong: “Fine. You guys go ahead and get it.”

Cui MingFu: “Where do we go to get it?”

Wang Dong: “Go wherever it pleases you.”

Cui MingFu: “If you do not tell us, how would we know where the money is hidden?”

Wang Dong: “Why should I tell you? I never said anything.”

“You still will not admit it?” Cui MingFu roared.

Her smile was icy and uncaring as Hong NiangZi asked him, “Do you want money or your life?”

Wang Dong: “When I know I can continue living, of course I would want my life. If I cannot live, then I can only take the money.”

Cui MingFu: “What must be done in order for you to tell us?”

Wang Dong: “If you promise to give me back my life, I will give you back your money.”

Cui MingFu was quiet for a time, but suddenly agreed, “Fine. I will give you your life back.”

Wang Dong: “One life in exchange for one share of the money.”

Cui MingFu: “How many lives do you have?”

Wang Dong: “Mine is one, Guo DaLu is one, Lin TaiPing is one, and Yan Qi is one. Four lives; four shares of money.”

Cui MingFu: “One life, four shares of money.”

Wang Dong: “That will not work.”

Cui MingFu: “Even if it will not work, you must make it work. You are alive and moving, but money is inanimate. Do you think that we would be worried about not finding the money if we were able to find you?”

Wang Dong also became silent for a long while. At last, he said slowly, “Alright. Then first return the life.”

Cui MingFu: “Whose life would you like us to return?”

Wang Dong: “Which person are you asking to return the money?”

Hong NiangZi started laughing loudly as she spoke, “I knew all along that he at least can be considered an intelligent person. At least he knows that no other person’s life is worth as much money as his own.”

Cui MingFu: “We will first neutralize your poison but will not unseal your acupoint.”

Wang Dong: “If my acupoint is not unsealed, you can still take my life at any time.”

Cui MingFu: “My promise to spare your life is enough.”

Hong NiangZi chortled, “Yes. Being alive is always better than being dead. You should think on the bright side.”

Wang Dong was silent for another little while before finally exhaling a long sigh. “It seems I have no other path to take.”

His voice icy, Cui MingFu told him, “The instant you took that money, you had set yourself on a path to ruin.”

Wang Dong: “Someone who has had their ‘Huantiao’ acupoint sealed is not able to walk down any path.”

With an alluring smile, Hong NiangZi purred, “If you cannot walk, then I will carry you on my back. Don’t forget you used to always be on top of me.”

Cui MingFu interrupted in a cold tone, “You walk with me.”

Hong NiangZi blinked her eyes at him. “Then who will carry him?”

Someone suddenly burrowed out like a snake from the snow. “Me.”
    Last edited by Hoju!; 04-07-08 at 12:01 AM.

Thanks for the update! Anything for Wulin Wai Shi anytime soon

Quote Originally Posted by tape View Post
    Anything for Wulin Wai Shi anytime soon
    Probably some time this week. I just got off the plane last night, so I'll need a few days to translate something long enough to be worthy of posting.

another absolutely magnificent and highly appreciated update here hoju! i am loving this novel more and more its crazy!!!i think wang dong didnt steal the money at all that was why his reactions were so wierd it must have been another member of the group who stole the 4 shares and placed the blame on wang dong as he knew he would be leaving the group!i am hopong that gou dalu and yan qi are hiding somewhere ready to come to wang da ge's aid also it seems to be taking forver for yan qis secret to come out then again im guessing it will be soon since wang dong, gou dalu, and lin taipings secrets are allready out!anyways i really hope that for wronging wang dong the four shares of missing treasure fall into his hands and wealthy manor can be in fact and not just in name!i kowtow to you and the immense effort you spend on brightening the days of us non chinese litterate if only half of the people who could translate chinese and visit here for updates would at least try their hands at translating it would be alot nicer

Wang Dong leaned against Scarlet Serpent’s back. Scarlet Serpent’s body felt lithe, damp, and cold as ice.

The fog had nearly dissipated, yet the sky was still dark and overcast. The sun could night be seen; brightness could not be seen. There was no brightness because there was no hope.

Scarlet Serpent spoke unexpectedly, “This is the road back to your home.”

Wang Dong: “I just hope that it is not the road back to my ‘old home’ [lao jia; place of origin; to go back to ‘lao jia’ means to die].”

Scarlet Serpent: “Did you hide the money in your house?”

Wang Dong: “If it were you, where would you hide it?”

Scarlet Serpent: “Of course it would be in a place that is within easy reach. Money is like women: it is best to keep it somewhere where you can easily reach over and touch it.”

Laughing, Wang Dong complimented, “I never knew you understood women too.”

Scarlet Serpent: “It is because I understand them that I do not want any.”

Wang Dong: “You only want money?”

Scarlet Serpent: “Money is better than women. Money will never deceive you. Nothing in the world is more faithful and true than it.”

Wang Dong: “That is why money can be put in the guest hall, but women cannot.”

Scarlet Serpent: “The money is in the guest hall?”

Wang Dong: “What place is more spacious and conspicuous in a person’s house than the guest hall?”

Scarlet Serpent nodded his head in agreement. “True. The more conspicuous a place is, the less people will pay attention to it.”

Cui MingFu was always one who was unwilling to walk in front of other people. There truly are people like that in this world. The number of times he had underhandedly attacked someone from behind was too many to count, and so, he never allowed others to walk behind him. He stuck very close to Hong NiangZi, like he was her shadow. In fact, Hong NiangZi could actually feel his icy breath – a breath that carried in it the odour of a rotting corpse. The look on her face was rather unsightly, but Cui MingFu could not see her face. He could only see her neck, and he was gazing upon it right then with an expression of admiration because that pale, smooth neck had developed goosebumps on it from the caress of his breath.

Hong NiangZi, though, was staring at Wang Dong, who was walking in front of her, and all of a sudden asked, “Do you think he really will take us to the money?”

Cui MingFu: “He has no other choice.”

Hong NiangZi: “But I sense something is not right.”

Cui MingFu: “What is not right?”

Hong NiangZi: “He is not such an easy person to handle, nor should he be one who is so scared of dying.”

A cold smirk touched Cui MingFu’s lips as he stated, “He can be whatever person he wants. It does not matter anymore.”

Hong NiangZi: “Why?”

Cui MingFu: “Because he is now a dead person.”

Hong NiangZi: “Dead person?”

Cui MingFu: “Did you really think I would let him keep his life?”

“Of course I knew you wouldn’t,” Hong NiangZi said in her enchanting way, “but, at the moment, he still is not dead.”

Cui MingFu clarified, “He may not be totally dead, but he is more than halfway there.”

Hong NiangZi: “He still has friends.”

Cui MingFu: “One is on the brink of death and the other two are as good as dead. Any one of us is enough to take care of the two of them. What are you worrying about?”

She gave a little giggle. “I’m not worried. I just feel it is a pity.”

Cui MingFu: “What is a pity?”

Hong NiangZi: “It is a pity that I did not get to sleep with those three youngsters.”

All of a sudden, Cui MingFu sunk his teeth into her neck, like a mad dog biting a female dog.

The sky was gloomily dim, causing the guest hall to be quite dark. The windows were open. From outside, two shadows could be faintly seen inside. “Who is in there?” Scarlet Serpent demanded.

In a casual tone, Wang Dong responded, “It seems that lately, your eyes are not very good.” Scarlet Serpent’s vision had always been poor. Anyone who had spent his entire life immersed in different sorts of poisons would have poor vision. However, a person with even worse vision would still only need to look a little longer before being able to determine that those were only two straw men – straw men clothed in hemp and mourning apparel. Wang Dong gave an unexpected laugh. “If you have not seen clearly yet, then I might as well tell you: if I die, they will be my filial sons; if you die, I’m afraid you, too, will only have them as your filial sons.”

Scarlet Serpent: “Having filial sons like those is better than having a prodigal son.”

Wang Dong: “And that is why you would rather have no children and grandchildren?”

Scarlet Serpent: “It is even better when you do not have a single friend.”

Hong NiangZi suddenly rushed towards them and demanded, “Where are your friends?” She was asking Wang Dong because nobody else there had friends.

Wang Dong: “They are waiting for me at the foot of the mountain.”

Hong NiangZi: “Why at the foot of the mountain?”

Wang Dong: “If you were them, under such circumstances, where would you go to wait for me?”

Scarlet Serpent interjected, “She would never wait for you in the first place.”

End of Chapter 23

yay for Hoju!

I love ur translation and will forever remember it..

actually this particular book is the kind of book which really teaches the readers alot about human interaction.. lately i have been putting myself in the shoes of our wonderfull heros and thinking.. is that the way they would act if they were in my position? and like its been rather interesting.. Gives me a kind of role model to follow.. even though i know its all fiction.. the behaivours depict real life so nicely..

punch line... Thanks :-)

This is one of my favorite translations right now. Gulong was always at his best when writing about interactions between people.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

Quote Originally Posted by little Fish View Post
    yay for Hoju!

I love ur translation and will forever remember it..

actually this particular book is the kind of book which really teaches the readers alot about human interaction.. lately i have been putting myself in the shoes of our wonderfull heros and thinking.. is that the way they would act if they were in my position? and like its been rather interesting.. Gives me a kind of role model to follow.. even though i know its all fiction.. the behaivours depict real life so nicely..

punch line... Thanks :-)

yeap...totally true...even i have tried to be like that....gives a different experience.....love this hoju...