Page 20 of 37 FirstFirst ... 101112131415161718192021222324252627282930 ... LastLast

Thread: A Happy Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing View Post
    This is one of my favorite translations right now. Gulong was always at his best when writing about interactions between people.
    Totally agree. I'm loving it. It's very inspiring.... recently I went throught some situations that made me realize how important it is to have good friends in life... when I started readinh this novel it was very touching... I guess its the Gu Long's book that touched me the most so far...

For me its on par with SSRS, I love Gu Longs work, but these two are special to me...

Thanks again Hoju!...

My guess: Guo Dalu and Co. are waiting for an surprise assault, to see if they are able to take the antidote for LTP.

Can't wait...

Thanks everyone. I wondered if people like this rather untraditional wuxia novel, and I'm so glad to read your comments.

--------------------------------------------------
    Chapter 24 – The Straw Men’s Secret

Hong NiangZi blinked at him innocently. “I always thought the one person who understood me the best was you. Do you know why?”

Scarlet Serpent: “Hmph.”

Hong NiangZi: “Because only a woman can truly understand another woman. Everyone knows this principle.”

Wang Dong cried out, “He is a woman?”

Hong NiangZi: “Did you think he is a man?”

Wang Dong: “He looks like one.”

Hong NiangZi: “Even if was a man in the beginning, he spent several decades soaking himself in poisons and had transformed into a woman long ago.” Scarlet Serpent’s entire face froze, like a snake that had been grabbed seven inches from its head. As Hong NiangZi cackled with laughter, she continued, “This is his biggest secret. I should actually not say anything, but fortunately, you are not an outsider so…” Deliberately lowering her voice, she whispered secretively, “I can tell you another secret, too.”

Wang Dong: “What secret is that?”

Hong NiangZi: “I know he and Big Centipede were very ‘good friends.’ ”

Roaring in laughter, Wang Dong corrected her, “You are wrong. They were not ‘friends,’ but actually…”

Throughout the conversation, Scarlet Serpent’s eyes had been fixed upon her. Those eyes, cold as ice, had now turned a fierce green color, and all of a sudden, he aimed directly at her face and blew out a breath. It was only a very light breath, yet Hong NiangZi dodged it as if it was the world’s cruellest and most aggressive projectile weapon. She did not even have a chance to say anything before she had leapt up and, with a flip in midair, landed inside the back of the house. Cui MingFu, who had been behind her the whole time, had already disappeared.

Wang Dong spoke up, “I had not believed a single word she said.”

Scarlet Serpent: “You never were stupid.”

“Why do you say that?” Wang Dong gave an unexpected little laugh before carrying on, “If what she said was not true, though, why would you want to take her life?”

“Do you want me to take your life too?” Scarlet Serpent threatened in a chilly tone.

Wang Dong: “This life of mine has not belonged to the Wang family for a long time now. It does not matter to anyone if it is taken. But what about you?”

Scarlet Serpent: “What about me?”

“No one would mourn,” Wang Dong said. He then asked, “Would anyone be happy?”

Scarlet Serpent: “Yes.”

Wang Dong: “You know she hates you?”

Wang Dong: “Why is it, then, that all this time, she never tried to kill you?”

Scarlet Serpent: “Because she knows that I am more useful alive than dead.”

Wang Dong: “What about in the future?”

Scarlet Serpent: “The future?”

Wang Dong clarified, “In the future, when you are all dividing the money.” Scarlet Serpent’s face had frozen again. “When Big Centipede died, were they sad at all?” Wang Dong asked.

Wang Dong: “Why were they not upset?”

Scarlet Serpent: “Because the shares of money are bigger when divided among three people instead of four.”

Wang Dong: “What if there are only people two people to split the money?”

Turning his head back, Scarlet Serpent glared at him. “What are you trying to say?”

Wang Dong: “You should know what I am trying to say, and you have known this fact for a long time.”

Those bright green eyes suddenly became the color of ashes, cold and impassive.

Wang Dong: “It is always a little better if one mantou [steamed bun] is shared to eat between two people instead of three. Everyone understands this idea, but the question now is, who are the two people who are going to get to eat the mantou?”

Scarlet Serpent: “What do you say?”

“I know how good your kung fu is,” Wang Dong answered casually. “Obviously, you would not be scared of Hong NiangZi.”

Wang Dong: “However, what sort of relationship does she have with Cui Laoda [biggest brother]? What sort of relationship do you have with Cui Laoda? Can you compare to her?”

Scarlet Serpent smiled coldly. Under certain circumstances, if a person gives a cold smile, it means that he does not know what to say in response; it means that his heart is filled with unease. Someone who is usually very confident in everything he does will seldom show that type of cold smile. Therefore, Wang Dong immediately took advantage of this opportunity and continued, “That is why, you must hurry up and think of a plan if you want to eat the mantou.”

Scarlet Serpent hesitated, but at last, he could not help asking, “What sort of plan?”

Wang Dong: “Find another person and have him help you steal that mantou back.”

With another cold smirk, Scarlet Serpent inquired, “And what sort of person should I be looking for?”

Wang Dong: “First, this person cannot be too greedy.”

Scarlet Serpent: “Is there such a person in this world?”

Wang Dong: “I am not a greedy person.”

Wang Dong: “This may not have been true in the past, but I now realize that it is better to have two people share the mantou than have no mantou to eat at all.”

Scarlet Serpent stared intently at him. “What is the second criterion?”

Wang Dong: “Second, that person must be inferior to you.”

Scarlet Serpent: “Why must he be inferior to me?”

Wang Dong: “So that way, he would not dare attempt to plot against you.”

Scarlet Serpent: “And you are inferior to me?”

“If I was stronger than you, why would I need you to carry me on your back now?” Wang Dong pointed out with a grin.

A spark suddenly lit up in those eyes that had been the color of cold ashes. “Are you truly siding with me?”

Wang Dong: “I have no other choice but to side with you.”

Scarlet Serpent: “Why?”

Wang Dong: “Because their side is too complete.”

Scarlet Serpent’s eyes brightened a little more. “What can you do for me?”

Wang Dong: “I still have my hands.”

Scarlet Serpent: “What can your hands do?”

Wang Dong: “At the very least, they can grab ahold of someone.”

Scarlet Serpent was no longer smiling coldly because he was gradually starting to feel more confident.

Wang Dong: “Right now, there is only one remaining question.”

Scarlet Serpent: “Say it.”

Wang Dong: “Are you able to handle Cui Laoda?”

Scarlet Serpent: “What do you think?”

Wang Dong: “If it was a real fight, I do not know. If, though, you strike unexpectedly and attack when he is unprepared, then…” His lips suddenly pressed together. Scarlet Serpent had also closed his mouth before strolling into the manor.

Cui MingFu and Hong NiangZi were already inside. The house was very bright. Under the light of day, Cui MingFu’s face looked like a sheet of white paper – a dry and wrinkled sheet of paper. Some people should not see daylight; he was clearly one of those people.

Scarlet Serpent set Wang Dong down in a chair and addressed them, “You have already looked around.”

Cui MingFu: “We have looked through every place.”

Hong NiangZi piped in with her charming voice, “We even looked in the toilet. The strange thing is, that place did not smell too badly.” She cast a glance over at Wang Dong and added, “Therefore, I know that there is one person in your group of friends who likes cleanliness.”

Wang Dong’s voice was cold as he said, “What else do you know?”

Giggling, Hong NiangZi replied, “I know that person is definitely not you.”

Scarlet Serpent: “Where are his friends?”

Cui MingFu: “They all left.”

Hong NiangZi looked over at Wang Dong again. With her alluring smile on her face, she said, “It seems that the people you befriended lately are not good friends of any sort.”

Wang Dong’s tone was matter-of-fact as he stated, “There are no friends in the world who are truly willing to die with you.” This time, her gaze turned to rest on Scarlet Serpent, who had not seemed to hear or see anything.

“There are no other people in the house?” Scarlet Serpent questioned.

Cui MingFu: “Only these two straw men.”

Wang Dong: “Straw men are not people.”

Cui MingFu all of a sudden let out a chilling cackle. “Do not forget that straw men can kill too.”

Wang Dong’s expression suddenly shifted slightly. All the while, Cui MingFu had fixed his eyes on Wang Dong’s face. In the instant when that slight change in expression occurred, Cui MingFu struck.

Wow, thank you so much Hoju! This is really exciting.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hoju! View Post
    Wang Dong’s expression suddenly shifted slightly. All the while, Cui MingFu had fixed his eyes on Wang Dong’s face. In the instant when that slight change in expression occurred, Cui MingFu struck.
    What a classic example of the newest tradition of this forum.. the cliffhanger.

Some action......

Chapter 24 continued.....

Very few people knew what Cui MingFu used to kill people because when he acted, he truly killed. Once he struck, he would never give his opponent the chance to live. Otherwise, he would not bother to attack. Only people who had actually watched him commit murder knew what weapon he used. And only four people had ever seen him murder. Wang Dong had seen him. The weapon he used to kill was two piercers. These piercers were like steel wires, able to wind around and stay close to you like a wandering soul, to entangle your weapons, and to wrap around and break your neck. Or they could stab into your heart in one thrust. These were his “Double Attack Flying Wandering Soul Piercers.”

Many people in jianghu had become famous due to their exclusive weapon because, in a fight, a person has great advantages, many unthinkable advantages, if he uses a bizarre weapon. Therefore, if you are able to invent an exclusive weapon that nobody had previously thought of, you will surely be able to make a name for yourself in jianghu – and that name of yours will be written in other people’s blood. But in the end, you, too, will die by some sort of exclusive weapon that you had never before imagined.

The straw men’s bodies looked very bloated. They were fatter than when they had been flying the kites. Other people may not have observed this point, but there was no way Cui MingFu did not notice because he was the one who made the straw men. Although he had an unintelligent-looking face, he had a pair of skilful hands. People who are genuinely smart do not display their intelligence on their face.

Straw men do not eat fatty meats or drink wine. Why would they suddenly get fat in a single night? Could someone be hiding inside the straw men, ready to jump out in a surprise strike? This was the final attack that Wang Dong, Yan Qi, and the others had planned earlier?

The expression on Wang Dong’s face changed rapidly.

Like lightning, Cui MingFu’s “Double Attack Flying Wandering Soul Piercers” had stabbed the straw men’s hearts. They had stabbed in deep. Extremely deep.

End of Chapter 24

Chapter 25 – The Final Attack

It is true that there are very few friends in the world who will go through life and death with you. It is even rare for husbands and wives, let alone friends. But this sort of friend is not non-existent. At least Guo DaLu and the others were this type of friend.

They knew that Wang Dong was at the crossroad of life and death. How could they be willing to leave Wang Dong alone in the danger? How could they leave?

The straw men had gotten fatter. Fat people have lots of blood. Cui MingFu’s “Double Attack Flying Wandering Soul Piercers” had thrust deep into their hearts. But there was no blood. Not a single drop. This time, it was not Wang Dong’s expression that transformed; it was Cui MingFu’s.

When the look on Cui MingFu’s changed, a spark had lit up in the eyes of Scarlet Serpent. And in that same moment, Wang Dong grabbed tightly onto Hong NiangZi’s hand.

The stinger of a bee is poisonous. Cui MingFu’s piercers were more poisonous. Once a bee’s stinger has pierced someone, it is no longer poisonous. Right now, Cui MingFu’s piercers were still stabbed into the straw men's hearts. How could Scarlet Serpent pass up this opportunity? Aiming directly into Cui MingFu’s face, he blew forcefully. From the light shining in through the window, it could be seen that the breath he blew out was a pale green color.

Cui MingFu had seemed to be frozen in shock, but in the instant that breath was released, his sleeve suddenly became a sheath and encased Scarlet Serpent’s head. It also contained that breath of air. Scarlet Serpent let out a ghastly scream. It was a sharp and short cry. Cui Ming Fu was already flying up now, and he hooked one arm around a roof beam. As he hung from that beam, he gazed down at Scarlet Serpent.

Scarlet Serpent’s eyes appeared to have become completely blind, incapable of seeing anything now. Resembling a blind dog, he charged forward, swaggering and bounding erratically. One step, two steps, three steps… His face had turned green. He had only managed to dash out a few steps before collapsing to the ground. No one poisoned by Scarlet Serpent’s venom was able to take more than seven steps. Even Scarlet Serpent, himself, was not an exception.

Wang Dong released his hold on Hong NiangZi’s arm. There was still no emotion on his face, but his pupils were starting to contract. He was gradually starting to realize what this was all about, that it was not very amusing at all.

But Hong NiangZi evidently thought it was extremely amusing. She had been chortling the whole time and was now laughing incessantly. The sound of her laughter was like the chime of silver bells. It was this same laughter that had captivated him when he had first laid eyes on her. Even after seeing her several hundred times, he had still believed that there was absolutely no one else whose laughter could be so lovely or pleasing to the ear.

Now, though, all he wanted to do was vomit. No matter what, Scarlet Serpent was a partner and companion whom she had lived with for many years. Anyone who could laugh so delightedly while standing over the corpse of their companion was sickening and would make people want to vomit.

Hong NiangZi’s eyes twinkled. “Are you finding it odd and wondering why I am laughing?”

Wang Dong: “It is not odd.”

Hong NiangZi: “Why?”

Wang Dong: “Because you are not human.”

This was also Wang Dong’s conclusion.

Cui MingFu was still staring at Scarlet Serpent’s body, as if he was afraid that he was not completely dead. Scarlet Serpent was completely dead. In reality, even when he was still alive, he had offered up his entire life to poisons. He did not have any other friends, and in fact, it could be said that he had nothing else. Poisons were his life.

After a long time had passed, Cui MingFu finally turned around slowly and stated, “That is a very loyal person.”

Hong NiangZi asked incredulously, “You’re saying he is loyal?”

With a nod, Cui MingFu explained, “At the very least, he was loyal to what he did. His poisons really have never once failed.”

Hong NiangZi gave another laugh. “So you have even more reason to be grateful to me. Were it not for me, you would be the one who is now dead.”

“I truly did not think that he would ever betray me,” Cui MingFu said in a detached tone.

Hong NiangZi chuckled, “If you honestly had not thought about it, how could you have already devised a method to take care of him?”

Cui MingFu: “Because I, too, am a very loyal person.”

Hong NiangZi: “What are you loyal to?”

Cui MingFu: “Myself.”

“Why have you never said that I am a very loyal person?” she sighed.

Cui MingFu’s tone was frosty. “Because you are not even loyal to yourself. You often betray your own self.”

Hong NiangZi: “But I have never betrayed you, nor have I ever deceived you.”

His voice was still cold as he retorted, “That is only because no one is able to deceive me.” Turning unexpectedly to Wang Dong, he said, “And that is why you have been an honest person in front of me also.”

Wang Dong did not answer him.

Cui MingFu: “You said your friends have already left, and sure enough, they are not here.”

Still, there was no response from Wang Dong.

Cui MingFu: “Right now, though, I only want to know whether you are more loyal to money or to me.”

Wang Dong: “That will depend on circumstance.”

Cui MingFu: “How?”

In a nonchalant sort of tone, Wang Dong replied, “Normally, I would be more loyal to money, but at the moment, I am loyal to you.”

Cui MingFu: “Very good. Hand it over.”

Wang Dong: “Hand what over?”

Cui MingFu: “What do you have?”

Wang Dong hesitated. At last, he seemed to resolve himself. “There are several flagstones underneath the table that are actually loose. Beneath them is a cellar.”

Cui MingFu jeered coldly, “Did you think I could not tell?”

Wang Dong: “If you know, then why are you not going over to retrieve the stuff? It is all there.”

Hong NiangZi jumped in, “I will go get it.”

Cui MingFu cut her off, “I will.” In a blur, he had already soared in front of her. This was the first time in his life that he had ever walked in front of someone – and it would be his last time.

Wow, some action indeed. Thank you Hoju

The problem for me is that Scarlet Serpent dying from poison. He should have been immune to the majority of poisons no?

yea, i was thinking that too.. how could he die to his own bad breath? lol...

Thank Hoju! =)

it must be a setup...i don't believe it.
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

It's because his poisons were so potent that even he would die by them. That's why Cui MingFu said that he was "loyal."

Chapter 25 continued.....

This was the first time in his life that he had ever walked in front of someone – and it would be his last time.

A streak of light flew out slowly from Hong NiangZi’s sleeve and struck the “Yuzhen” [Jade Pillow] acupoint on the back of his head. Not only was this fatal attack not executed quickly, it was in fact extremely slow, yet somehow, he was unable to avoid it. He crumpled to the ground immediately – no resistance, no pain. Indeed, he did not even utter a sound. A live human being had suddenly become a dead human being. No one would ever have believed that he would die so easily. And moreso, he had never thought that the one who killed him would be Hong NiangZi.

Laughter like the chime of silver bells rang out. “This time, you should understand why I am laughing,” Hong NiangZi chortled.

Wang Dong: “Don’t understand.”

Hong NiangZi: “Do you know what I used to kill him?”

Wang Dong did not answer.

Giggling, she told him, “It was the Wandering Soul Piercers that I learned from him.” She laughed hysterically while she continued, “He just finished using Scarlet Serpent’s own poison to kill Scarlet Serpent, and then I immediately used his piercers to stab him to death. This is such a funny situation; even if I tried not to laugh, I would not be able to stop myself.”

Wang Dong: “The only thing I find strange is why he would teach it to you.”

Hong NiangZi: “Because he did not teach me all the key techniques and so he knew that I would never be able to completely learn it.”

Wang Dong: “It is true that you are not quite as fast as he was.”

Hong NiangZi: “Nowhere close. That is why, even though I had learned it, it was useless to me. It could not be used against anyone else. Wandering Soul Piercers are still his exclusive weapon.”

Wang Dong: “So if it is useless, why did you bother learning it?”

Hong NiangZi: “It is not entirely worthless. There is only one use for it; it can only be used against one person.”

Wang Dong: “Who?”

Hong NiangZi: “Himself.”

Puzzled, Wang Dong asked her, “You cannot use it against other people, yet you can use it against him?”

“Many things in the world are that bizarre,” she stated with a giggle.

Wang Dong: “I do not understand.”

Hong NiangZi: “There are many more things that you do not understand.”

Wang Dong: “Oh?”

Hong NiangZi: “I intentionally left you and Scarlet Serpent alone together so that you would have a chance to talk.”

Wang Dong realized, “So you had actually run off on purpose.”

Hong NiangZi explained, “I first deliberately let slip his greatest secret that he did not want others to know and then left so that he would be livid. Of course, when you saw this opportunity, you definitely would not let it pass.”

Wang Dong: “You knew that I would try to find a way to convince him to betray you?”

Hong NiangZi: “It was not you that convinced him; he had that intention for a long time except he had never had the opportunity.”

Wang Dong: “You purposely handed the opportunity to him and then told Cui Laoda to be cautious of him?”

Hong NiangZi: “I knew that Cui Laoda had already thought of a way to take care of him. He only needed to attack, and then he would be dead.”

Wang Dong: “Your calculations were very accurate.”

In her sweet tone, she praised herself, “I do not need to be humble regarding this point.”

“I understand that part now,” Wang Dong sighed. “What else is there?”

Blinking her eyes, she offered up, “Do you know what Cui Laoda’s biggest secret is?”

Wang Dong: “No.”

Hong NiangZi: “His hearing was not very good, basically not much different from being deaf.”

Wang Dong: “But when I spoke to him, my voice was not very loud and he was still able to hear what I said.”

Hong NiangZi: “That is only because he would watch the motion of your lips and he was able to read what you said.”

Sighing again, Wang Dong admitted, “That truly is a big secret.”

Hong NiangZi: “Aside from me, no one knows this secret. Because his hearing was poor, he never walked in front of anyone for fear that they would sneakily attack him from behind.” With a laugh, she clarified, “It was not because he was being more cautious than other people; it was only because he was unable to hear the wind sound created by projectile weapons. If someone was to sneak attack him from behind, he had no way of dodging.”

Wang Dong: “If that wind sound was loud and sharp, he still would be able to hear it, but if someone was to strike slowly at him from behind, then he had no choice but death.”

“Precisely,” Hong NiangZi chortled. “Therefore, there was actually nothing better than using those Wandering Soul Piercers that I would never learn properly against him.”

Wang Dong: “And you had it all calculated out that once he heard where the money was, he wouldn’t be able to restrain himself and would rush forward?”

Hong NiangZi: “If it had been anyone else with him, he might still have been able to maintain his patience and keep his guard up, but when he was with me, he always tended to be a little more careless than normal.”

Wang Dong: “Why?”

Hong NiangZi: “Because he always believed that I needed to rely on him, that if he died, I would not be able to live either.”

Heaving a sigh, Wang Dong commented, “And, he always had believed that no one was able to deceive him…”

Hong NiangZi: “It is true that no one was able to deceive him. Only he was able to deceive himself.”

Puzzled, Wang Dong repeated, “You are saying that he was deceiving himself?”

She smiled charmingly at him again. “There are not many men in the world who do not know how to give themselves an ego trip. If men did not build up their own egos, how would women get by?”

Wang Dong was quiet for a long while. “Your calculations were very accurate, as were your judgments.”

Hong NiangZi: “But my judgment of you was wrong.”

Wang Dong: “Oh?”

Laughing, she told him, “I had always thought that you never told lies. I never imagined that, when you told a lie, you would act so natural that you could deceive someone into death without even having to compensate with your own life.”

Wang Dong: “What lie did I tell?”

Hong NiangZi: “You said the ‘items’ are underneath the table. Is that a lie?”

Wang Dong: “Yes.”

Hong NiangZi laughed delightedly, “But I was the only one who knew you were not telling the truth. That is because I am the only person in the world who knows where they are actually hidden.”

Wang Dong: “You should know.”

Her eyes were sparkling. “Tell me the truth: just now, did it ever occur to you that I was the one who took the money?”

Wang Dong: “No.” For a long moment, he did not say anything. At last, he said, “I did not think of any of that. I do not know anything. I only know one thing.”

Hong NiangZi: “What is that?”

Wang Dong: “A person should never become too arrogant. It does not matter who. Anyone who thinks that no one is able to fool him is merely fooling himself.”

That sweet smile of hers seemed to slip a bit, and she could not help asking, “What is that supposed to mean?”

His tone was indifferent as he replied, “The meaning behind that sentence is: if you can design a trap to ensnare people, someone else can also design a trap to ensnare you.”

This, too, was a conclusion.

Conclusions are very rarely wrong. The ones that are wrong usually are not conclusions.

Conclusions are very rarely wrong. The ones that are wrong usually are not conclusions.
    What a typically Gulong statement.
    Read the latest chapters of Coiling Dragon at Wuxia World!

yeah nice statement...GL's statements are often containing the philosophy of being happy

Thank you Hoju

So now, the friends will be revealed, I can't wait!!

Here's what happened!

Chapter 25 continued.....

Daylight. In daylight, women always seem to look a little older, a little more haggard.

Hong NiangZi was no longer able to laugh. When women who laugh suddenly cease laughing, they also tend to look older and more haggard. And so, now, Hong NiangZi [Red Lady] practically seemed to have the reached the extent of becoming “red granny.”

There was no treasure under the table, not even a single copper coin. But there were people – two people. Although Wang Dong was unable to move, these two people were able to. One moved relatively faster while the other moved slightly slower. The faster person was Yan Qi; the slower one was Guo DaLu.

For someone like Guo DaLu, in a time when his friend was in danger, even if you took a whip to drive him away or held a knife against his neck, he still would not go.

Only now did Hong NiangZi realize that she had fallen into a trap herself. But how did she manage to fall in? She had no idea; she had not even noticed a hint of a trap.

A house will always have one corner where the light tends to be a little dimmer. Usually, there will always be a chair in this corner. Hong NiangZi walked over there slowly and lowered herself into that chair. Nobody tried to stop her; there was no longer any need to. After a very lengthy moment passed, she suddenly spoke. “Wang Dong, I know you have always been a very fair person.”

Guo DaLu jumped in to respond. “Of course he is.” When Guo DaLu was around, the number of occasions that Wang Dong needed to speak would increase.

Wang Dong: “What must be done to be fair?”

Hong NiangZi: “I already told you about my trap a moment ago. Now what about you?” The target of her questioning was Wang Dong. Aside from him, she had not glanced at anyone else.

Yan Qi, though, was glaring with wide eyes at Guo DaLu, and so, it was best for Guo DaLu to keep his mouth shut.

Another long while passed before Wang Dong finally opened his mouth to ask, “From what point did you start telling your side of things a moment ago?”

Hong NiangZi: “From when I gave you the opportunity to speak to Scarlet Serpent alone.”

Wang Dong: “Do you know why I said all those things to him?”

Hong NiangZi: “No.”

Wang Dong: “Because I needed to find out which one amongst the three of you was the person who had taken the money.”

Hong NiangZi: “You said those things to Scarlet Serpent because you wanted to test him?”

Wang Dong: “Correct. If he was the person who stole the items, he would not have acted as he did.”

Hong NiangZi: “How did you know the person was not Big Centipede?”

Wang Dong: “If it was him, he would not have taken such a dangerous risk. When someone who is worth tens of millions liang sits under a roof, he will fear that one of the roof tiles may fall down on him and crack his head open.”

Hong NiangZi forced a smile onto her face. “Why didn’t you just be a little more concise? ‘Son of thousand gold [son of a wealthy family] sits not beneath the eaves.’ I do know what that saying means.”

Wang Dong: “There were only five potential people that could know where the money was hidden. Eliminating three left only you and Cui Laoda.”

Hong NiangZi: “But you still were not able to ascertain, between Cui Laoda and I, who was the person who actually took it.”

Wang Dong: “At the time, I was not able say with certainty, but I was already confident that, sooner or later, I would be able to find out.”

Hong NiangZi: “You truly were confident?”

Wang Dong: “One: I knew that Scarlet Serpent was definitely not a match for Cui Laoda. So long as he made a move, he would undoubtedly die.”

Hong NiangZi: “Your judgment is very accurate also.”

Wang Dong: “Two: I knew that, between you and Cui Laoda, one of you would have to die.”

Wang Dong: “Because no matter which one of you had the items in your possession, that person absolutely would not let the other live.”

Hong NiangZi: “Why do you say that?”

Wang Dong: “Because if there was even one other person amongst us five that still lived, the thief would not be able to enjoy all those riches in peace. But now, it was equivalent to only one other person left; it was the greatest chance ‘he’ had.”

“It truly was too good an opportunity,” Hong NiangZi sighed.

Wang Dong continued, “This person had waited so long before this opportunity finally arose. Of course, ‘he’ would not let it pass him by.”

Hong NiangZi: “If you were in that position, you definitely would not have let it pass either.”

Wang Dong: “Plus, that person used to be able to put all the blame on me, but now, since I had been located, ‘his’ secret was going to be revealed sooner or later. Even if ‘he’ did not want to kill anyone, there would be people who wanted to kill ‘him.’ ”

Quietly, she confessed, “I originally had not intended for them to find you, but…” She gave a small laugh, a very miserable-sounding laugh. In a soft voice, she resumed, “But in my heart, I hoped that they would be able to find you. It would allow me to see for myself, how have you changed in these last several years? How has life been?”

At last, Guo DaLu could not restrain himself any longer and blurted out, “His life has been great; perhaps a little poor, but very happy all the same.”

Hong NiangZi nodded her head slowly as she murmured, “You are all very good friends of his, much better, indeed, than the friends he had before.” She was silent for quite a while before carrying on, “You had calculated things out, and you had figured out a long time ago that only one person would be left and that person would be the one who stole away the items.”

Wang Dong: “This calculation was as simple as one plus one equals to two.”

Hong NiangZi: “Is it possible that you had already calculated everything out when you came to meet us?”

Guo DaLu jumped in, “If that was not the case, how could we have been okay about letting him see you?”

Hong NiangZi gave a sigh. “I should have known. I had already perceived that you were not those types of people who would sneak away when they see their friends in danger.”

Wang Dong: “They truly are not.”

Hong NiangZi: “But there are still some points that I do not understand.”

Wang Dong: “You can ask.”

Hong NiangZi: “When you fell into our trap and were captured, don’t tell me that was deliberate?”

In a detached tone, he replied, “I only knew that an abandoned grave could not suddenly just appear in that place.”

Hong NiangZi: “You purposely let them capture you, but were you not scared that they would immediately kill you?”

Wang Dong: “Of course there was a bit of that fear.”

Hong NiangZi: “But yet, you still went ahead and did it?”

Wang Dong: “That is because I had already deduced that you guys definitely would not come for the sole reason of killing me. There had to be another purpose.”

Hong NiangZi: “You had already guessed what that purpose was?”

Wang Dong: “Correct.”

Hong NiangZi: “And you had confidence that you could lure us here?”

Wang Dong: “Just a little bit. Not too much.”

Hong NiangZi: “And you still did it?”

Wang Dong: “If a person is only willing to do things when he is absolutely confident about it, then he will never be able to accomplish even a single thing.”

Hong NiangZi: “Oh?”

Wang Dong: “Because there is nothing in the world that you can be absolutely certain about.”

Hong NiangZi: “You wanted them to hide in here, but were you not concerned that we would discover them first?”

Wang Dong: “That chance was very slim.”

Wang Dong: “In order to explain, it needs to be split up into a few scenarios.”

Hong NiangZi: “Oh?”

Wang Dong: “At the point in time when there were still three people, at least two of them thought the riches were hidden under the table. Naturally, they would not allow anyone else to first get their hands on it. Even if someone tried to go over and have a look, one of those two would stop him. So, under this circumstance, they [Guo DaLu and Yan Qi] would definitely be safe.”

Hong NiangZi: “What is the second scenario?”

Wang Dong: “When there were only two people left, for example, you and Cui Laoda.”

Hong NiangZi: “No need to say ‘for example.’ It was the two of us.”

Wang Dong: “At that time, you had already resolved that you would not allow Cui Laoda to live. Even if he wanted to go over for a look, it was certain that you would make a move first. Therefore, under this scenario, they would also be safe.”

Hong NiangZi: “The third scenario, of course, is the one where only I am remaining.”

Wang Dong: “Correct.”

Hong NiangZi: “Your acupoint that was sealed is still sealed.”

Wang Dong: “Yes.”

Hong NiangZi: “If I discovered that they were hidden in there, is it not possible that I could have trapped them inside first?”

Wang Dong chuckled, “But you knew that the treasures were not hidden there, so why would you go over to look? You would not even bother to pay any attention to it. Therefore, in this scenario, they, too, would be safe.”

Hong NiangZi: “You truly were able to calculate things out so perfectly, so precisely?”

Wang Dong: “No, it is fake.” He gave a little laugh, then added, “Humans’ calculations will always be inferior to Heaven’s [fate] calculations. No one is able to calculate things out to ensure one hundred percent certainty of success.”

Hong NiangZi: “But you still went and took the risk?”

Wang Dong: “This was our ‘lone wager on a single throw,’ [to put all the eggs in one basket], our final attack.”

She heaved a lengthy sigh. With a bitter smile, she told him, “Your courage was perhaps a bit too excessive.”

Wang Dong: “We did not have a lot of courage, nor was our strategy as precisely planned out as yours. Even our strength was weaker than your group. We should have lost this battle.”

Hong NiangZi: “Yet you won.”

Wang Dong: “That is only because we have something that you guys did not have.”

Hong NiangZi: “Friendship.”

He continued in a deliberate tone, “Although it is something that you can neither see nor touch, the enormity of its power is something that all of you never could have even dreamed of.”

Hong NiangZi was listening. She could not stop herself from listening because she had never heard words like these before.

Wang Dong: “We had the courage to put our lives out there, to take that risk, because we each knew that we were not alone and unaided.” His gaze shifted over towards Yan Qi and Guo DaLu. “If a person knows that, no matter what the circumstance, he will have true friends there standing beside him, willing to go, through life and death with him, and ready to endure trials and tribulations together, he will immediately become filled with courage and confidence.”

Hong NiangZi lowered her head. She seemed to again have aged immensely.

Wang Dong: “I had originally intended for them to leave, but they said one thing that made me change my mind.”

Unable to stop herself, she blurted out the question, “What did they say?”

Wang Dong: “They told me, if we lived, then we would all live happily. If we died, then we would also die together cheerfully. So life or death, what is the big deal?”

These, too, were words that Hong NiangZi had never heard before. She nearly could not make herself believe it, yet right now, she had no choice but to believe. She gazed at these three people. One was covered in wounds. The fact that he was still able to stand was already an uneasy feat. One looked so fragile and thin, as if he was both starved and exhausted. And even Wang Dong was the same. It would have been inconceivable for someone to say that these three people would be able to force Scarlet Serpent, Cui MingFu, and Hong NiangZi into a place of death. But this inconceivable situation had now become a reality.

What did they possess that could allow them to do this?

Hong NiangZi’s head hung low. All of a sudden, she felt as if all her blood was rushing upwards, and she nearly started to weep. She had lost track of how long it had been since she had last truly cried, had nearly forgotten what it felt like to shed tears.

Yan Qi had been watching her all this time, and a look of sympathy gradually started to show in his eyes. He asked suddenly, “You have never before had friends?”

Hong NiangZi shook her head in reply.

Yan Qi: “That is certainly not because friends would not have you, but rather, it is because you would not have any friends.”

Hong NiangZi: “But I…”

Yan Qi: “Use your sincerity.”

Unable to restrain himself, Guo DaLu jumped in and added, “If there had even been half an ounce of sincerity amongst the three of you, I am certain that you still would all be living happily together today.”

Evil can never overcome good. Justice will surely prevail over might. Power that arises because of righteousness and friendship is bound to triumph over aggression that conspires because of personal benefit. Truth and friendship will ever be present.

This was not a slogan. Definitely not. If all of you have heard Guo DaLu and Wang Dong’s story, then you know it is absolutely not a slogan. Even if you have not heard it, it does not matter. That is because, at any time and any place, there are people out there like Guo DaLu and Wang Dong. So long as you are willing to use your earnestness and sincerity to search, then you will surely be able to find friends like these.

End of Chapter 25

reading this novel .... i am feeling a warmth in my heart which is bringing peace to my life...it is a great philosophy of life which makes us confidant and courageous...my admirations to GL...he is a master of living life happily..

Is it over?? So soon????

Thank you so much Hoju

I dont think it is over...
    we need to get Yan Qi's Story... I think (and hope ) there's more!!

thx so much Hoju!!

Chapter 26 – Spring Has Arrived in the World

Morning. The golden sunshine pierced through the layers of cloudand shone upon the window. A breeze blew past the window, carrying on it a fresh and clean fragrance that had come from a distant hill. Mornings are always lovely, always brimming with hope. But you need not curse the darkness of the night either, for without the ugliness of darkness as comparison, how else could the loveliness of morning be emphasized?

Spring. The golden sunshine pierced through the layers of cloud and shone upon the tips of branches. A breeze blew past those gentle branches, the tips already showing a few new buds of green. Amidst the melting snow, there was the fresh and clean fragrance of spring. Spring is always lovely, always brimming with hope. But you need not curse the harshness of winter, for without that harsh and cruel cold, how else could the warmth of spring be emphasized?

Spring morning.

Lin TaiPing was lying down beneath the window. The window was open, and when the breeze blew by, he could smell that fresh and clean fragrance that had come from a distant hill. In his hand, he held a book, but his eyes were gazing out at the green buds on the tips of the branches outside the window. He had stayed there lying that way for a long time.

The injuries he had sustained had not been more serious than Guo DaLu’s, nor had his poisoning been more severe. However, when Guo DaLu was already able to go out and buy wine, he still had to remain in bed. This was because the antidote had come too late. The venom had already invaded into his internal organs and eroded away at his strength. Life has always been like this: there is good fortune and bad fortune. He was not complaining. He had now realized that good and bad fortune is not an absolute condition. He was sick, but it was also because of this that he was able to enjoy that slow, leisure feeling and serenity of seclusion that sickness brings. And plus, he had friends to look after and care for him. Life has always had many types of joys and enjoyments that require you to first set aside your biases and open up your mind before you can appreciate them.

He breathed a little sigh and closed his eyes. The door was pushed open lightly, and someone stepped softly into the room. It was a woman wearing a plain cotton dress and no make-up on her face. She appeared very neat and clean, very plain and simple. Her hands carried a wooden tray and on it was a piping hot bowl of congee and two other small dishes. Lin TaiPing appeared to be sleeping. She quietly walked in, gently set the tray down onto the table, as if she was afraid that she would startle him out of his sleep, and then immediately left the room quietly. But after a moment’s pondering, she went back in once again and picked up the wooden tray because she feared that if the congee grew cold, it would be bad for the patient.

Who was this woman? How she did things was really very thoughtful and with the greatest amount of care.

The snow had completely melted. Under the sunshine, the earth was gradually becoming warm and dry. Three wicker chairs and a leisurely game of chess [Go] had been set up in the courtyard. Wang Dong and Yan Qi were in the middle of a chess game right then.

Guo DaLu was next to them watching, sometimes picking at the loose strands of wicker on his chair, sometimes standing up suddenly and taking a few steps, sometimes stretching his neck and straining to see the distant hills on the other side of the wall. Basically, he was not able to sit still. The only way you would ever get him to sit there quietly and play chess was to chop off his legs. Telling him to sit there quietly off to the side and watch someone else play chess was as bad as killing him.

By now, Wang Dong’s white stones had completely surrounded Yan Qi’s black ones. Yan Qi held a black stone between the tips of his fingers, wracking hard at his brain and trying to find a way to revive this game. Guo DaLu, though, had been by his side the whole time, wandering back and forth. At last, Yan Qi was unable to restrain himself as he glowered at him and snapped, “Can you not just sit there quietly for a moment?”

Guo DaLu answered, “Nope.”

In annoyance, Yan Qi complained, “You have been making a non-stop ruckus. You are so noisy that my heart feels all irritated and my thoughts are in disarray. How do you expect me to play chess?”

“I haven’t even said a word,” Guo DaLu denied. “How can that be considered making a ruckus?”

Yan Qi: “This behaviour of yours cannot be considered a ruckus?”

Guo DaLu: “This is considered a ruckus? How come Wang Laoda is not blaming me for disturbing him?”

In a matter of fact tone, Wang Dong stated, “Because I am going to win this game soon.”

Yan Qi: “The battle is not over right now. It is still not set in stone who is going to win and who is going to lose.”

“It is set,” Guo DaLu interrupted.

Yan Qi glared at him. “What do you know?”

Guo DaLu grinned. “I may not know chess, but I know that lots of shortcomings come out in the person who loses the chess game.”

Yan Qi asked, “Who has lots of shortcomings?”

Guo DaLu: “You! So you have to be the one who is losing the game.”

“Correct answer,” Wang Dong chuckled. A smile had just appeared on his face when it immediately froze. That woman, dressed in plain, dark garments, was walking down the gravel pathway towards them. The wooden tray in her hand had three cups of hot tea on it. Wang Dong turned his head away, refusing to look at her.

The woman in dark garments offered up the first cup of tea right in front of him and said in a soft voice, “This is your favourite jasmine scented green tea. It was just steeped.”

Wang Dong did not hear her.

The woman in dark garments said, “If you would like to drink Dragon Well, I can steep a pot of that as well.”

Still, Wang Dong did not hear her.

The woman set the cup down lightly in front of him. “What would you like for lunch today? Are dumplings okay?”

Wang Dong suddenly rose to his feet and strode far away. The woman stood there staring after the outline of his back for a long time. Her heart seemed to be wounded and filled with sorrow.

Guo DaLu offered, “Dumplings sound great. I am just afraid it will be too troublesome for you.”

Only then did the woman in dark garments slowly turn around and walk back inside, but after taking a couple of steps, she could not help turning her head to cast another glance at Wang Dong. It seemed as if Wang Dong did not even acknowledge this person’s existence. The woman hung her head low and finally left. Although the pain she felt was quite evident, there was not a hint of bitterness or rebuke. No matter how Wang Dong treated her, she was willing to meekly bear all of it. Why would she do that?

Guo DaLu watched as she walked back inside the house before sighing, “This person changed so quickly.”

Yan Qi: “Mm.”

Guo DaLu: “Others have said that ‘rivers and mountains are easy to alter but an inherent nature is difficult to shift.’ From my observations, this saying is not too correct. Hasn’t she wholly and thoroughly changed?”

Yan Qi: “Because she is a woman.”

Guo DaLu countered, “ ‘Women are still people.’ Isn’t this something that you always say?”

Yan Qi gave a sigh before responding, “But when it comes down to it, women are still different from men.”

Guo DaLu: “Oh?”

Yan Qi: “A woman is willing to completely transform herself for the man she loves. As for a man, even if he changes himself for a period of time for the woman he loves, the change is still only on the surface.”

Guo DaLu contemplated over that for a moment. “These words seem to make sense.”

Yan Qi: “Of course they make sense. Everything I say always makes sense.”

Guo DaLu sniggered.

Glaring at him, Yan Qi demanded, “What are you laughing at? You do not admit that?”

Guo DaLu agreed, “I admit that no matter what you say, there is nothing that I will not agree with.” This was known as ‘everything has its conqueror; green vegetables go good with bean curd.’ Guo DaLu was neither scared of the Heavens or the Earth, but once he saw Yan Qi, he was helpless.

Only now did Wang Dong walk back and sit down. His face was still hard. Guo DaLu asked him, “She was being nice to bring food over to you. Could you not treat her a little better?”

“No,” Wang Dong answered curtly.

Guo DaLu: “Don’t tell me you get angry the instant you see her.”

Wang Dong: “Hmph.”

Guo DaLu: “Why?”

Wang Dong: “Hmph.”

Guo DaLu: “Even if Hong NiangZi was not very nice in the past, she is no longer that Hong NiangZi now. Can you not tell that she has transformed into a completely different person?”

Yan Qi immediately chimed in with him, “Yup. If people saw her today, who would actually be able to guess that she is ‘Rescuer of the Poor and Needy’ Hong NiangZi?”

It truly was unthinkable. That careful, considerate, gentle, and longsuffering woman dressed in dark garments was actually Hong NiangZi.

Its really amusing the way Guo DaLu thinks. Really cool and true that when everyone understands something he will not, but he will suprise u just when u are confused..

I think its his honesty.. to himself and to his environment.. I was just thinking, if you describe any other hero having the feelings Guo DaLu has for Yan Qi (thinking that Yan Qi is a guy) then I would think he is gay. But Guo DaLu is just too honest... would be cool to live life so easily.. not thinking too much about the implications of how I think or feel.. just being honest about them..

Thanks Hoju! I was doing an assignment and stressing about it.. after reading this for a bit, made me relax alot.. well back to it!!!

Hope your assignment went well, little Fish.

Chapter 26 continued.....

That careful, considerate, gentle, and longsuffering woman dressed in dark garments was actually Hong NiangZi.

Guo DaLu: “If anyone is able to guess, I will crawl around in a circle on the ground.”

Yan Qi: “I will crawl too.”

Wang Dong was frowning as he said icily, “If you two want to crawl all over the ground, that is your business and has nothing to do with me.”

Yan Qi: “But you…”

“Have you admitted defeat for this game yet?” Wang Dong cut him off.

Yan Qi snorted, “Of course not.”

Wang Dong: “Good. Then cut the bull. Hurry up and play chess.”

Sighing, Guo DaLu muttered to himself, “It seems like this guy’s problem is even worse than Yan Qi’s. I would be surprised if he doesn’t lose this game.”

As expected, Wang Dong lost that game. His stones clearly had blocked off the escape routes of Yan Qi’s, but for some baffling reason, he still ended up losing – by seven stones. Wang Dong stared fixedly at the board for quite a while. Suddenly, he challenged, “Come on. Play another game.”

Yan Qi: “No more.”

Wang Dong: “You have to. How can only one game determine a winner and a loser?”

Yan Qi: “We can play another ten games and you will still lose.”

“Who said?” Wang Dong denied.

Guo DaLu jumped in and answered, “I said so, because you not only have a problem, but the problem you have is not a small one.” Wang Dong stood up to leave, but Guo DaLu grabbed him, demanding loudly, “Why is it that every time we mention this subject, you try to run away?”

Wang Dong: “Why would I need to run away?”

Guo DaLu: “You will have to ask yourself that question.”

“That’s true.” Yan Qi pointed out casually, “If a person did not have a guilty conscience, then no matter what anyone said, he still would not need to run away.”

Wang Dong glared angrily at them. All of a sudden, he threw himself into the chair and growled, “Fine. If you want to talk, then let’s just say it out clearly. How do I have a guilty conscience?”

Guo DaLu countered, “Let me first ask you: who was the one who told her to stay?”

Wang Dong: “Who it was does not matter. In any case, it was not me.”

“Of course it wasn’t you,” Guo DaLu told him. “It was not me either, and it certainly was not Yan Qi.” No one had demanded that she stay. She, herself, wanted to remain there. She could have left.

Under those circumstances, if it had been any other people, they undoubtedly would have forced her to reveal the whereabouts of the wealth, and then, it was quite likely that they would have murdered her. However, Guo DaLu and his friends were not this type of people. They certainly would never kill someone who did not have the ability to fight back and definitely would never kill a woman. They especially would not slay a woman who, firstly, did not have the ability to fight back and more importantly, had a heart of repentence.

Anyone would have been able to recognize that Hong NiangZi had been moved by their great friendship. She had realized that the greatest suffering in the world was not having no money, but rather, it was having no friends. All of a sudden, she felt that the price she paid for all those things she did in the past and all that she gained was a life of lonlieness. She was a woman already in her thirties, and she understood how terrible loneliness could be. She also had come to the understanding that all the riches in the world could not fill the emptiness of a person’s heart. This is something that an eighteen, nineteen year old girl is not able to comprehend.

And so, Hong NiangZi did not leave.

Guo DaLu: “You had said that the profit you made in those few years was not a small amount.”

Wang Dong: “Mm.”

Guo DaLu: “And you also said that anyone who got that sum of money would be able to enjoy a lifestyle like an emperor for the rest of his life.”

Wang Dong: “Mm.”

Guo DaLu: “Yet, she would rather give up that emperor’s life and stay here to serve and care for you. Has she gone crazy?”

“Of course she is not crazy,” Yan Qi cut in. “Plus, even a lunatic would not do that.”

Guo DaLu added, “And so, even an idiot should realize the meaning behind her actions and should treat her a little better.”

This did not mean that Hong NiangZi never left the house. She had been gone for five, six days, and when she returned, she carried with her a small cloth bundle that contained a few garments of plain, dark cloth and some miscellaneous items. That was all that remained of her wealth and property. What happened to the rest? She had actually taken that sum of money that she had risked her life to obtain and donated it to some charities in the provinces along the coastal area of the Yellow River that were suffering from flooding. This was something that was simply inconceivable.

Wang Dong’s expression was still hard like steel.

Guo DaLu: “Even now, you still do not believe her?”

Yan Qi: “We even specially went out and inquired around for you. Do you think that we would help her lie to you?”

Guo DaLu: “Can you really not see why she is doing all this?”

Yan Qi: “Obviously, she is trying to make amends for what she has done wrong. But most importantly, it is because she wants to move your heart and hopes that you will change your mind.”

Guo DaLu: “If someone did all that for me, no matter what she did in the past, I would still forgive her.”

Wang Dong was silent; the whole time, he did not say anything. After much time had passed, he finally lifted his head and asked, “Are you guys done talking yet?”

Guo DaLu: “We have said everything we should say.”

Yan Qi: “We have even said things we should not have said. Now, it is up to you what you are going to do.”

Wang Dong: “What would you two like me to do? Kneel down and ask her to marry me?”

Guo DaLu: “Well, that is not necessary, but… but…”

Yan Qi finished for him, “But you should at least be slightly nicer to her.”

Wang Dong looked at Guo DaLu, then looked at Yan Qi. Suddenly, he exhaled a very long sigh. “You guys are so great; just great…” Before finishing what he was saying, he stood and left. This time, even though he walked away very slowly, Guo DaLu did not try to pull him back because Wang Dong rarely sighed like that. The sun had gradually risen up high, and it stretched out Wang Dong’s shadow on the ground. His back seemed to be a little hunched, as if it was supporting a heavy burden. Guo DaLu and Yan Qi had never before seen him like this and, out of the blue, they, too, felt their spirits grow heavy.

They did not know how much time had passed when they heard the pad of very light footsteps. Raising their heads, they saw Hong NiangZi standing before them. Forcing a smile onto his face, Guo DaLu invited, “Sit. Please sit.”

She sat down, then picked up the tea that she had poured for Wang Dong a moment ago and took a sip. Slowly setting it down again, she suddenly spoke, “I heard everything that all of you said a moment ago.”

Guo DaLu: “Oh?” Aside from “oh,” he really did not know what else he could say.

Speaking softly, she said, “I am very grateful for the kindness you have shown me, but…” Guo DaLu and Yan Qi waited for her to continue. After a long moment passed, she finally carried on, “But you do not really understand what is going on between him and me.”

Neither Guo DaLu nor Yan Qi offered up any comments. They obviously could not say that they very much understood the matters of other people – no one is able to say that.

Hong NiangZi’s head was lowered. “We used to be… be really close… extremely close…” Her voice seemed a little choked up. She exhaled a long breath before continuing, “As you said, I decided to stay here because I hoped that I can change his heart back, and we could start over again, living the life we once had.”

“You still really cherish those times in the past, don’t you?” Guo DaLu could not help asking.

Hong NiangZi nodded. In a sorrowful voice, she replied, “But only now do I know that things of the past are in the past. They are like a person’s youth: once it is gone, it will never return.” As she reached this point, she seemed as if she finally could not restrain her tears any longer.

Guo DaLu suddenly felt an aching feeling in his heart. He wanted to say something, yet did not know what to say either. He glanced over at Yan Qi, whose eyes seemed to have grown red. Even though Hong NiangZi had harmed and plotted against them in the past, those thing had been long forgotten by now. All they remembered was that she was an unfortunate woman who sincerely wanted to repent. In their hearts, there was absolutely no hatred, only sympathy. No one could forget their hatreds as easily as Guo DaLu and his friends did.

Another period of time passed before, with difficulty, Hong NiangZi finally was able to stop her tears from falling. She told them quietly, “But if you believe that his heart really is hard as iron, then you are wrong. The more he treats me this way, the more it shows that he has not yet forgotten the love we shared in the past.”

Yan Qi suddenly nodded his head. “I understand.” Oftentimes, the deeper the people hurt each other, the more they actually love one another.

Still in a soft voice, Hong NiangZi continued, “If he was actually very nice to me and very polite, it would even be harder for my heart to bear.”

“I understand,” Yan Qi said again gently.

Hong NiangZi: “It is because he was too nice to me and too genuine with me in the past that he feels like I have hurt him very deeply – and that is why he now hates me that much.”

Guo DaLu comforted, “How could he hate you?”

Hong NiangZi smiled sadly. “I am actually happy that he hates me because, if his feelings for me were not true before, why would he need to hate me now?”

At last, Guo DaLu nodded his head also. “I understand.”

Hong NiangZi: “If you pierce a person’s face very deeply with a knife, then a very deep scar will definitely be left there and it will never be normal again.” Her voice was filled with sorrow. “A scar on the heart is just the same. And so, I know that we will never be able to go back to how we were in the past. Even if we somehow force ourselves to be together, there will always be a distance separating our hearts.”

Guo DaLu: “But…… you could at least still be friends?”

Hong NiangZi: “Friends?........”

The sorrow in her smile grew even deeper. “Any two people can be friends, but if these two people were once in love, they will never be able to be friends. Do you agree?”

Guo DaLu had to agree.

Hong NiangZi suddenly rose. “No matter what, though, all of you will always be my friends. I will never forget any of you.”

It was only then did Guo DaLu notice that she was carrying a small cloth bundle in her arms. In alarm, he cried, “You are leaving?”

Sadness filled her face. “If I make myself stay here, not only will it be difficult for him, it will also be hard for me. I have thought about it over and over before I decided that it would be best if I leave.”

Guo DaLu: “But... but do you have any plans? Where are you going to go?”

Hong NiangZi: “I have not thought about it yet.” She did not allow anyone else to speak as she quickly added, “But you do not need to worry. Someone like me can go many places, so for him and for me, please, it would be best if you did not try to stop me.”

Guo DaLu turned to look at Yan Qi. Yan Qi looked as if he was dazed.

Hong NiangZi gazed at the two of them. Her eyes seemed to be filled with envy and admiration. Speaking gently, she said, “If you really think of me as your friend, I hope that you will remember one thing.”

Yan Qi: “Tell us.”

Hong NiangZi stared off into the distance as she spoke slowly, “The hardest thing to come by in this world is not fame, nor is it wealth, but rather, it is the genuine relationships and love that can exist between people. If you get it, you must cherish it. Never let down that person or let yourself down.” Her voice had been getting softer and softer until she whispered, “Because only someone who has lost genuine love truly knows how much it is worth treasuring and understands how painful and lonely life is after it is gone.”

Yan Qi’s eyes really did grow red now and he asked, “What about you? Were you ever genuine in your love with him?”

She was silent for a very long time before finally answering in a low voice, “I actually was not clear about this myself.”

Yan Qi: “What about now?”

Hong NiangZi: “All I knew was that, after he left, I would always think of him. I… found many other people, but not one was able to replace him.” Before she could finish her words, she suddenly covered her face with her hands and dashed out wildly.