Page 28 of 37 FirstFirst ... 1819202122232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: A Happy Hero

It is funny, but Wang Dong is being a little cruel to our hero. Thanks Hoju for all your hard work. This is my favorite story to date and your translation is wonderful.

-The formerly silent kksdad

Hoju kindly coveyed my thoughts eloquently, thank you for that Hoju in addition to your wonderful translation So I hope that is the answer to your question Guo Xiang.

It is not a secret that has been entrusted to their confidence so it will not be unethical if they let their good friend know, rather than see him suffer this way no?

yeongwee, I don't think this is funny, the poor man is in agony!!!

aaaaaaa! When he jumps up as if arrows struck him, it reminded me of anime. Gu long is the (unknowing) father of anime!

Smile

@Eliza

Quote Originally Posted by Hoju! View Post
    A look of terrible fear seemed to overcome Wang Dong’s face. Deliberately lowering his voice, he whispered, “It wouldn’t be me, would it?”

As Guo DaLu stared back at Wang Dong, he did not know whether he wanted to cry or laugh. All he could do was scowl as he retorted, “My sickness has not reached that stage of severity yet.”
    Ha Ha, maybe I'm too hard-hearted, but I just couldn't stop laughing at this But ok, since sympathy is called for I shall have some sympathy too... Oh, poor Guo DaLu
    Man is glue. You are man. How then can you step away from glue?

Quote Originally Posted by Hoju! View Post
    --------------------------------------------------
    Chapter 37 – The Imposter Shall Die
    Yan Qi: “Do you know who has the biggest problem?”

Guo DaLu: “Nope.”

Yan Qi: “That Yu guniang [Miss Yu].”

Guo DaLu: “Who is Yu guniang?”

Yan Qi: “Yu guniang is referring to that girl who came here just now. Her surname is Yu, and her given name is LingLong.”

[/I]

Kinda OT, but still I would like to bring this up:

Yu LingLong did appeared in Gulong's Righteous Blood Cleansing Silver Spear(more of Yu LingLong appearance go to http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...t=12014&page=6)

Ma Rulong said, “That lady isn’t young. She appears to be an old lady.”

Surprisingly Dawan didn’t agree with him. “She isn’t old. She is a young lady. Some people can live to be one hundred eighty years old. So she is still young.”

“She is such a person?”

“That’s right.” Dawan continued, “If she isn’t, there won’t be any such person in the world.”

“How come?”

“Because she is surnamed Yu (1).”

Ma Rulong finally thought of someone. “Is she related to that Lady Yu of sixty years ago?”

Dawan replied, “She is that Lady Yu. She is ‘the exquisite hands of jade’ Yu Linglong.”

The story of A Happy Hero(I would call it Happy Heroes) happened about 60 years before Righteous Blood Cleansing Silver Spear, which A Happy Hero would be in the same era as Dagger Lee.

Sorry for the long off-topic post.
    仁。智。义。信。礼。忠。孝。悌。忍
    慈。慧。气。念。仪。实。心。情。耐

Smile Ha Ha

I agree with yeongwee this is really funny!
    Wang Dong is being a bit cruel though.
    I can't wait until the next post. Not to pressure you though Hoju.

-Guo Xiang

Quote Originally Posted by Vic_Viper View Post
    Kinda OT, but still I would like to bring this up:

Yu LingLong did appeared in Gulong's Righteous Blood Cleansing Silver Spear(more of Yu LingLong appearance go to http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...t=12014&page=6)

Ma Rulong said, “That lady isn’t young. She appears to be an old lady.”

Surprisingly Dawan didn’t agree with him. “She isn’t old. She is a young lady. Some people can live to be one hundred eighty years old. So she is still young.”

“She is such a person?”

“That’s right.” Dawan continued, “If she isn’t, there won’t be any such person in the world.”

“How come?”

“Because she is surnamed Yu (1).”

Ma Rulong finally thought of someone. “Is she related to that Lady Yu of sixty years ago?”

Dawan replied, “She is that Lady Yu. She is ‘the exquisite hands of jade’ Yu Linglong.”

The story of A Happy Hero(I would call it Happy Heroes) happened about 60 years before Righteous Blood Cleansing Silver Spear, which A Happy Hero would be in the same era as Dagger Lee.

Sorry for the long off-topic post.
    Thanks Vic for this information.

Han SOlo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Thanks Vic! I've always thought of this as a stand alone story, so it's interesting to know that it fits in with the other GL stories.
    Sorry for the short update, everyone. I've been working really late nights and haven't had much time for translating.

Chapter 38 continued.....

“You… you have to help me out.”

Wang Dong: “How do you want me to help you?”

Guo DaLu: “Think of a way to get in a big quarrel with me.”

Wang Dong: “Big quarrel? How do you want to quarrel?”

Guo DaLu: “However you want to quarrel. Doesn’t matter. Just the bigger the quarrel, the better.”

Wang Dong: “Why do you want to quarrel?”

Guo DaLu: “Because after we have a row, I will have an excuse to leave here.”

WangDong’s face changed, seeming to have realized that his joke might have gone too far. A long while passed before he finally put on a forced smile and said, “You do not really need to leave. Actually, he…”

He seemed as if he was about to divulge some sort of secret, but Guo DaLu interrupted, “Actually, I do not really intend on leaving. I just want to get away from this place for a temporary period of time.”

Wang Dong: “And then?”

“And then I will wait for him at the foot of the mountain. As long as he steps out, I can tail him in secret and see where he actually goes and who he meets up with.” Guo DaLu heaved a lengthy sigh and added, “No matter what, I must learn what secret he is keeping.”

Wang Dong grumbled, “Why can you not wait here at home?”

Guo DaLu: “Because if I just follow him from here, he will discover what I’m doing.”

Wang Dong: “Don’t tell me you are going to go down the mountain to disguise your appearance.”

Guo DaLu: “Mm.”

Wang Dong: “You know the art of disguises?”

Guo DaLu: “No, but I have my own ways.”

Tilting his head, Wang Dong deliberated for quite a while until, at last, he said slowly, “Since you have already made up your mind to do it that way, then there is no reason why you shouldn’t, except…”

Guo DaLu: “Except what?”

Wang Dong: “If we want to get into a squabble, we should at least do it realistically, otherwise he will not believe it.”

Guo DaLu: “That’s right.”

Wang Dong: “That is why we have to wait for an opportunity. We certainly cannot just start fighting for no reason.”

Guo DaLu: “What kind of opportunity do we need to wait for?”

Chuckling, Wang Dong reassured him, “Though I do not really like getting into fights with people, it won’t be overly difficult for us to find an opportunity to have a row.”

Guo DaLu: “Why?”

Wang Dong: “Because what you say usually cannot be considered words from a human being anyways.”

Guo DaLu started laughing also. “If Yan Qi was here right now, I could start a fight with you just for that.”

Wang Dong: “Right now, I am only worried about one thing.”

Guo DaLu: “What are you worried about?”

Wang Dong: “I am worried that he will help you and side with you in the quarrel and afterward, he’ll leave with you too.”

Batting his eyes, Guo DaLu told him, “You do not need to worry about that point.”

Wang Dong: “Oh?”

Guo DaLu: “If I can get in a spat with you, do you think I wouldn’t be able to get in one with him?”

“Of course you can,” Wang Dong snickered. “Sometimes the things you say are enough to annoy the population of an entire city. Regardless of who gets in an argument with you, I still would not find it the least bit surprising.”

Before Guo DaLu had a chance to open his mouth and respond, they suddenly heard a cry of fear echoing out from the woods. The sound of a young girl’s voice was screaming, “Save me…. Save me!”

Most men who hear a girl crying “save me” will immediately rush over. Even if it is not in his mind to save her, he will still hurry over for a look. In every man’s life, there will more or less be one or two times when he fantasizes about being ‘a hero rescuing a beauty.’ It is too bad that such chances do not arise often in real life.

But now, the chance had come. How could Guo DaLu let it pass? Without waiting for action from Wang Dong, Guo DaLu sprung to his feet and darted over.

Unfortunately, it seemed he was still a step too late. He had just jumped up when he saw a person charging like an arrow into the grove.
    Last edited by Hoju!; 07-10-08 at 01:36 AM.

Thank you Hoju

Default Thank You!

You really don't need to apologize. You are amazing and we all appreciate what you are doing. Take your time.

Thank You!!!
    Thank You!!!
    Thank You!!!
    Thank You!!!
    Thank You!!!
    Thank You!!!
    Thank You!!!
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

thank you very very much hoju...we are all bonded as friends...what do you say?

Default Thanks!

Thank You very much for translating this book!

-Sparky

Of course rati4u. I don't have a manor on an isolated manor where we can all hang out, though.

Most girls who cry, “Save me!” are usually not unattractive, but there are not many who are as beautiful as the girl who was crying, “Save me!” at that particular moment. The girl was not old, at most sixteen or seventeen years old, and her hair was combed into two large, silky braids that made her appear even more lively and delightful. On her arm, she carried a basket of flowers, and her fair-skinned, oval face had grown pale in fright as she ran in circles around a tree.

A burly, bearded man with a wicked grin on his face was chasing her around that tree. He was not very hurried in his pursuit, though, for he knew that this girl was like food that was already in his mouth: she had no hope of escaping his clutches.

Who would have thought that an unexpected obtruder would suddenly interfere? Fortunately, the obtruder was merely a young lad who looked not all that different from a girl. And so, without waiting for Lin TaiPing to open his mouth, he barked, “You little b**tard! Who told you to come? If your arrival ruins my happy deed, then you better be careful because I will rip your head off.”

Lin TaiPing’s facial expression was calm as he asked, “What happy deed is that?”

Sneering, the man spat, “Can’t you tell what your daddy is doing here?”

The young girl had dashed over to hide behind Lin TaiPing. Gasping for breath, she quavered, “He is not a good person. He… he wants to pick on me.”

Unperturbed, Lin TaiPing told her, “Do not worry; no one can pick on you anymore.”

The burly man snarled in fury, “Little b**tard, are you trying to shove your nose into someone else’s business?”

Lin TaiPing: “It would seem so.”

Letting out a mad roar and like a lion ravenous lion pouncing on a sheep, he leapt viciously towards Lin TaiPing. It appeared that he had at least a few days worth of martial arts training. Not only was his lower body sturdy and stable, his attack was extremely quick as well.

It was unfortunate for him, though, that the one he encountered was Lin TaiPing.

The instant Lin TaiPing waved his arm, the man tumbled backwards like a wild dog that had just been given a sharp kick. Feelings of shock and anger collided in him as cusses poured from his lips. He seemed to want to crawl back up to his feet and throw himself all out into the fight again, but all of a sudden someone had already seized ahold of his collar and hoisted him up off the ground. This person possessed enormous strength and furthermore, his build was not shorter than than his either.

Guo DaLu had finally caught up, and now, he carried the man by the collar over to Lin TaiPing. “How do you say we should take care of this scoundrel?” he asked with a little smile.

Lin TaiPing replied, “That will depend on what this guniang [miss] wants to do.”

The girl was still shaken and her body was still quivering. Guo DaLu went up to her, and with a wink, grinned, “This person was bullying you. What do you say if we butcher him up and feed him to the dogs?” The girl gave a terrified cry and was so frightened that she nearly fainted as her body collapsed against Lin TaiPing.

Guo DaLu laughed uproariously, “I was only joking. Even dogs would not want to sniff a stinking scoundrel like him.” With a wave of his hand, he ordered, “Get out of here! The faster, the better; the further, the better.” Without needing Guo DaLu’s prompting, the burly man had already scurried off, tripping and crawling as he went.

Only then could the young girl breathe a sigh of relief. Her face flush with color, she straightened herself back up before falling gracefully to her knees. “Thank you, young sir, for saving me, otherwise… otherwise…” Her eyes started to grow red again and she could not even continue speaking. It almost seemed as if she wished she could embrace Lin TaiPing’s feet in order to express the great amount of gratitude that she felt in her heart.

Lin TaiPing’s face, too, had reddened.

Guo DaLu chuckled, “It was not only this one young sir who saved you. I had a part in it too. Why are you not thanking me?”

The young girl blushed an even deeper shade and was even more flustered about what to do.

Luckily, at this time, Yan Qi had hurried over. Glowering at Guo DaLu, he snapped, “She has already suffered enough and you still want to pick on her?” Pulling the girl back to her feet, he addressed her, “That guy has some problems. You do not need to pay any attention to him.”

The young girl’s head was lowered as she said, “Thank… thank you.”

Yan Qi: “Why would a young girl like you come to such a place with a person like that?”

The girl’s head dropped down even further as she explained haltingly, “I sell flowers. He said that there was someone here who wanted to buy my entire basket of flowers and so… and so I came along with him here.”

“This world has more bad men than good ones,” Yan Qi told her with a sigh. “Next time, you must be more cautious.”

Lin TaiPing piped in suddenly to ask, “How much is your whole basket of flowers?”

Flower vendor-girl: “Three… three…”

Lin TaiPing: “Alright. I will give you three liang of silver. I am buying your entire basket.”

The flower vendor-girl raised her head and gazed at him, her tender eyes filled with gratitude. Lin TaiPing, though, was blushing again and he actually turned his head away, as if he did not dare face her.

Guo DaLu looked first at Lin TaiPing, then over at the flower vendor-girl. Out of the blue, he asked, “Little miss, what would your name be?”

However, the flower vendor-girl appeared to be very fearful of him. The instant he had opened his mouth, she was so frightened that she retreated back a couple of steps.

Guo DaLu: “Do you live at the foot of the mountain? Did you only move here recently? How come I have never seen you before?”

Her face was red and her head was lowered while she nibbled on her lip without speaking a single word.

Snickering, Guo DaLu spoke again, “What aren’t you saying anything? Don’t tell me you are a mute.”

The flower vendor-girl looked as if she wanted to say something, but in the end, nothing came from her lips. All of a sudden, she whipped her head around and ran off. They watched as her two big braids swung to and fro behind her. She had darted off quite a distance when, suddenly, she turned around to peek at Lin TaiPing. Pulling out all the flowers from her basket, she placed them onto the ground and said, “These flowers are all for you.” Her cheeks blushed even more furiously and then, she was dashing away even faster than before, as if she was afraid that someone would chase after her.

“That little girl’s nerves are rather weak,” Guo DaLu chuckled.

Yan Qi retorted, “After seeing that ferocious look of yours, even a woman with stronger nerves would still be frightened away by you.”

“I merely asked her a few questions, that’s all” Guo DaLu objected.

Yan Qi shot back, “What does her surname, her name, or where she lives have to do with you? Why would you want to ask all that?”

Giggling, Guo DaLu said, “I wasn’t asking for myself.”

Yan Qi: “Who were you asking for?”

Guo DaLu pursed his lips at Lin TaiPing, then answered grinningly, “Have you not seen the look on the face of our amorous young sir over there?”

Lin TaiPing appeared as if he had not heard anything. With his eyes still fixed upon the place where the young girl’s outline had disappeared from view, he seemed somewhat dazed.

Spring was not too far gone yet. The morning wind still carried the coolness of spring. As Guo DaLu pushed open the door and breathed in a deep breath of fresh air, it seemed like the courtyard’s spring breeze had all flowed into his chest. Every morning, he would always be the first person to awaken because he felt that idling away that perfectly good amount of time on the bed was such a waste.

However, when he pushed open his door today, he discovered that Lin TaiPing was already standing inside the courtyard.

Standing there staring off at nothing.

Guo DaLu gave a couple light coughs. He did not hear anything. Guo DaLu knocked on a railing. He still did not hear anything. His eyes were staring unwaveringly at a cluster of peonies by the corner of the wall, but what was his heart thinking about? Guo DaLu walked quietly over towards him, and then suddenly announced in a loud voice, “Good morning.”

Lin TaiPing finally heard him now and at the same time, was nearly scared out of his wits. Turning his head around and seeing Guo DaLu, he forced a smile. “Good morning.”

Guo DaLu looked intently at his face. “Your eyes are all red. You did not sleep well last night, did you?”

Lin TaiPing: “I was thinking… spring seems to have passed now.”

Guo DaLu nodded in agreement. “That’s right. Spring has passed. It actually just left us yesterday.”

Lin TaiPing: “Left us yesterday?”

Guo DaLu smiled lightly, “Could it be that you do not know? Yesterday, when that young girl ran off, didn’t spring also leave with her?” Lin TaiPing’s cheeks burned a crimson color. Heaving a deliberate sigh, Guo DaLu lamented to himself, “Where has spring gone? Who knows? If someone actually knows where it is headed, why not call it back or go fetch it to live here together?”

Red-faced, Lin TaiPing snapped, “Is it possible for you to say just a few less indecent words?”

With a grin Guo DaLu returned, “Were those words wrong? Could it be that you don’t want spring to stay?”

Lin TaiPing: “I…”

His mouth closed abruptly because right at that moment, the sound of melodious singing suddenly drifted in on the spring breeze:
    “Little young miss daybreak arises,
    Carrying a flower basket to the market.
    Passing through the main street, walking through the alleyway,
    ‘Flowers for sale, flowers for sale,’ her voice a-crying.
    Flowers may be pretty, flowers may smell sweet,
    But if no one buys them, what to do?
    Carrying the flower basket and her empty purse
    Papa, mama, how could she return to face them?”

The singing was sweet and beautiful and also seemed to make the heart ache a little. Not only was Lin TaiPing completely taken by it, even Guo DaLu seemed to be in a stupor as he listened. After a long while, he finally exhaled a sigh and murmured, “It appears that spring did not go far, and now it has returned.” All of a sudden, he gave Lin TaiPing a shove. “Why aren’t you going outside? What are you doing still standing here?” he laughed.

Blushing again, Lin TaiPing asked, “What would I go outside for?”

Batting his eyelids, Guo DaLu reminded, “Someone gave you so many flowers yesterday. You should at least express some sort of appreciation to her.” Lin TaiPing was still hesitant, but in the end, as he put on a show of reluctance, he was pushed out the door by Guo DaLu.

The morning mist had dissipated; sunlight shone upon the earth.

A young girl, a flower basket in hand, was treading on that sunlight-covered earth and walking over slowly. Raising her head, she suddenly noticed Lin TaiPing. All of a sudden, the sunlight that had been everywhere seemed to all collect on her face. Or maybe half of it had actually gathered on Lin TaiPing’s face too.

Guo DaLu looked first at him, then at the young girl. Retreating quietly, he closed the door and left the two of them alone outside. The gentleness of the spring breeze was like that within the gaze of lovers. Guo DaLu was smiling, feeling extremely happy in his heart. With his hands clasped behind his back, he ambled slowly through the courtyard.

He had not intended on going to find Yan Qi, but when he raised his head, he realized unexpectedly that he had already arrived in front of Yan Qi’s door. Such a beautiful spring scene. How could you not share it with your friend?

At last, Guo DaLu stretched out his hand and knocked lightly on the door. There was no answer. Even louder knocking brought no response. How could Yan Qi be sleeping so deeply? Guo DaLu called out in a loud voice, “The sun is shining on the head already. You still haven’t gotten up?”

It was quiet on the other side of the door. There was not even a hint of stirring.

Behind him, though, there was a sound. It was Wang Dong’s voice: “He is not in the courtyard at the back or in the kitchen.”

Guo DaLu’s complexion changed slightly and he could not help shoving open the door. The door had actually been left unlocked, and the instant Guo DaLu pushed it open, it seemed like the spring brilliance in the courtyard also got shoved out.

There was no one inside the room. The covers on the bed were still folded neatly, but apart from those, there was nothing else. Not only was Yan Qi not inside but all of his odds and ends belongings were missing as well.

Guo DaLu stood motionless in that place. His hands and feet had grown ice-cold.

Wang Dong’s brow had creased into a frown. “From the looks of it, he left last night,” he thought out loud.

Guo DaLu: “Mm.”

Wang Dong: “Why did he take all of his belongings with him this time? Why didn’t he leave a single word to us?”

Guo DaLu suddenly whirled around and seized ahold of Wang Dong’s shoulders. “Last night, you didn’t tell him anything, did you?”

Wang Dong: “What do you think I would have told him?”

Guo DaLu: “Those things that I told you.”

Wang Dong: “Do you think I am that type of person?”

Guo DaLu: “You honestly did not say anything?”

Wang Dong let out a sigh before he said, “There is no longer any need for us to get in a quarrel; otherwise, just for that one question, I could get in a fight with you.”

Guo DaLu stood there in a daze for a long time before he too finally heaved a sigh and slowly released his grip.

With a forced smile on his face, Wang Dong consoled, “Really, you don’t need to grow anxious. He has snuck out before but he came back after a few days.”

Shaking his head, Guo DaLu said with a bitter smile, “You just said so yourself: this time is different.”

Wang Dong: “But he has no reason to leave without saying goodbye.”

His head hanging low, Guo DaLu said, “Maybe… maybe he is the same as me and feels that something is not quite right also, so… so it is better just to leave.”

Wang Dong hesitated a moment before saying, “There actually is nothing wrong between you two.”

Guo DaLu’s smile was agonized. “That still isn’t something wrong?”

Wang Dong: “Actually, he… he…”

Guo DaLu: “He what?”

Wang Dong was looking at him intently. After quite some time had passed, he suddenly shook his head. “Nothing… nothing...” Without waiting for the conversation to end, he turned his head and left.

“Where are you going?” Guo DaLu called after him.

Wang Dong: “To find a cup of wine and have a drink.”

In reality, Wang Dong was not a person who could bury what he wanted to say in his heart. It was just that he felt that some things were better left unsaid because he believed that it may be better if Guo DaLu did not know certain matters. The more you know, the more you may actually agonize.

Unfortunately, not knowing will also cause you to feel troubled just the same.

Now, spring really had gone far away. Where had spring gone?

No one has ever known the answer to this.

“Little young miss daybreak arises,
    Carrying a flower basket to the market…”

The sweet sound of singing could be heard every morning. So long as he heard the singing, Lin TaiPing would feel that spring had come back again.

But Guo DaLu’s spring had left and did not return. Yan Qi was like the spring breeze: once he departed, there was not a trace, and once he was gone, there was no further news of him.

“Where has he gone? Why did he not leave a single message?” Guo DaLu was determined to find out the reason.

And so, he also headed out. He only left one sentence before going: “Until I find him, I will not come back!”

There was less laughter inside Wealthy Manor. Even though the weather was getting hotter and hotter with each day, Wang Dong felt that this place was growing colder and colder. Only that sweetly beautiful singing could still be heard everyday. Aside from this, the only other thing that would allow people to feel slightly happy was that Hong NiangZi’s inuries had completely healed now.

One day, she and Lin TaiPing were sitting under the eaves keeping Wang Dong company. The heavens had been a brilliant blue, but all of a sudden, black clouds rolled in across the entire sky. Then, the summer thunderstorm came pouring down. The rain was like a heavy curtain hanging down from the eaves. The wilted flowers in the corner had been washed away to some unknown place.

Wang Dong gazed at that curtain of rain. All of a sudden, he exhaled noisily and mumbled, “Spring really has passed.”

In a gentle tone, Hong NiangZi comforted, “Although it is gone now, it will be back very quickly.”

Lin TaiPing added, “That’s right. No matter how far spring may go, it will always return.”

“For certain?” Wang Dong asked.

“For certain!” Lin TaiPing replied.

End of Chapter 38
    Last edited by Hoju!; 07-14-08 at 02:45 AM.

Default So Close!

Wang Dong was so close to revealing Yan Qi's secret!!! Is Wang Dong being a coward or is he being mean or does he just want Yan Qi want to tell "his" secret?
    -Doctor Who

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang ( : View Post
    Wang Dong was so close to revealing Yan Qi's secret!!! Is Wang Dong being a coward or is he being mean or does he just want Yan Qi want to tell "his" secret?
    Hi Xiang,
    I think he feels that if Yan Qi had wanted Guo DaLu to know she would have told him herself. Since she didn't, she must have her reasons and hence Wang Dong may be worried that revealing Yan Qi's secret may actually make things worse.

------------------------------------------------------------
    Chapter 39 – Ill-Starred People Drifting in the World
    ------------------------------------------------------------

Thunderstorm.

Drops of rain struck Guo DaLu like falling pebbles. He finally roused.

A dirty alleyway. A low wall.

Only when he awakened did he realize that he had actually been lying in mud by the corner of the wall. As for why he was sleeping there and how long had he been asleep, he did not even know himself. All he remembered was the previous night, he and the buddies from the east side of the city had all gone to the gambling hall belonging to the laoda [biggest brother; this context, gang leader] of the west side. The brawl had resulted in utter chaos and a complete mess. Afterward, the east end’s laoda had laid out a large merit-celebration feast specially for him in Little Winter Melon’s brothel. Twenty, thirty brothers had taken turns filling him up with wine. The east side’s laoda had even pounded his chest and, in the presence of everyone, declared that so long as Guo DaLu was able to bring down the west end gang, the territory on the west side of the city would go to him. And then, Guo DaLu seemed to recall, they had bowed down together and become sworn brothers.

Everything after that, though, he was even more fuzzy about. It seemed like Little Winter Melon’s little sister, Little Honey Peach, had supported him into the back and had been helping him remove his boots and clothing. But all of a sudden, he insisted on leaving to go out and find Yan Qi. Little Honey Peach tried to hold him back but in the end, received a slap across the face instead. And then, he had discovered himself lying here. That big chunk that happened in between was a complete blank.

Actually, strictly speaking, he was not too certain even how he had passed the time in the last half a month. He had originally intended on looking for Yan Qi, but amidst the vast sea of people, where would he go to find him? And so, when he arrived here, he simply decided to stay. Every day, he would go out like crazy to find prostitutes and get intoxicated. One day, after drinking until he was completely hammered, he somehow got in a conflict with the east end’s laoda, and their exchange of blows led them to become friends. At the time, the laoda of the east end was being dominated by the west side’s gang such that he felt as if he could not even breathe. Guo DaLu had slapped his own chest and guaranteed that he would help him to vent his angers. Hence, he had gotten mixed in with these brothers of the east side. Each day, they would drink, gamble, get in fights, and go find women, and everyday would be filled with shouts and laughter. The days had actually passed quite merrily.

Why was it, then, that after every drinking fest, he would slip out by himself and end up either collapsed in the middle of the road or lying in a gutter?

If a person wants to torture someone else, it may be a very difficult thing to do, but if he wants to torture himself, that is extremely easy. Was he deliberately tormenting himself?

Such a very hard rain.

The raindrops that battered down on him were like stones. Guo DaLu struggled and, with difficulty, stood up. His head was pounding so hard it seemed as if it would split open at any second, and his tongue felt as if a thick layer of moss had grown on it.

Was this sort of life really all that enjoyable? He did not want to think about it.

He was not willing to think about anything. In fact, it would be best if there was no time in the day where he was sober and awake.

He stretched his neck, trying to catch a few mouthfuls of rain to drink, but even though the raindrops were numerous and very densely spaced, the number that actually fell into his mouth was not many.

Are there not many things in the world that are just like this? You are looking right at it and you should be able to get hold of it, but yet, you actually are not able to. You are angry, agonized; you bang your head against the wall and torment yourself until you don’t even seem human, yet none of this serves any use at all.

Guo DaLu forced himself to stand up straight with his shoulders back. But his chest, his heart felt like there were needles piercing them. Something that he clearly should not be thinking about, why did he still think about it then?

With a loud clap of thunder, lightning came streaking down. Gritting his teeth together, he started walking forward with large strides. He had just taken two steps, though, when suddenly a small door up ahead opened with a “creak.” A girl-child dressed in scarlet clothes, her hand holding a flowered oil-paper umbrella, was standing in that doorway looking at him with a charming smile. As she smiled, two deep dimples could be seen on her cheeks.

With such a sweet, young girl smiling at you, no man would be able to avoid going up and saying a few words just to make conversation. However, Guo DaLu was not in the mood for that. His mood at the present was even worse than his appearance.

The little girl, though, actually came out to meet him. Smiling sweetly, she said, “I am XinXin.”

Guo DaLu gave her a couple of glances. Nodding his head slowly, he acknowledged, “XinXin. Good. A good name.” Before waiting for the conversation to finish, he started to leave again.

But XinXin was still unwilling to let him off as she spoke up again smilingly, “I recognize you.”

Only then did Guo DaLu find this a little strange. He stopped and turned around. “You recognize me?”

XinXin batted her lashes at him. “Are you young master Guo?”

Guo DaLu was even more perplexed. “Have you seen me somewhere before?” he could not help asking.

XinXin: “No.”

Guo DaLu: “Then how would you know me?”

Enchantingly, she replied, “You will know when you go ask my household’s xiaojie [young miss].”

Guo DaLu: “Who is your household’s xiaojie?”

XinXin: “You will know when you see her.”

Guo DaLu: “Where is she?”

XinXin’s lips curled up in a little smile. “If you come with me, then you will understand everything.” She turned around and walked back through that small doorway before turning her head back and beckoning to Guo DaLu. “Come.” Guo DaLu did not say anything as he strode inside. His curiosity had been aroused now, and if you wanted to convince him not to go in, it would not be easy to do.

Beyond the door was a little courtyard, and amid this torrential downpour, the wisteria blossoms covering the lattice inside appeared particularly vulnerable. From the eaves hung a few birdcages, and the orioles in them were chirping noisily, as if they were blaming their master for being inconsiderate and not bringing them into her private chambers.

XinXin stepped into the corridor, and with her fair, petite fingers, flicked the birdcage lightly. “Little rascals,” she scolded, “Xiaojie is having a visitor in her room today. If you keep making all this ruckus, she won’t pay any attention to you.” She turned her head back to smile at Guo DaLu as she said enchantingly, “Look at that. You haven’t even gone in yet and they are already jealous.”

Guo DaLu could only smile in response. Now, in his heart, aside from curiosity, there was also a sort of feeling that he could not even describe, a sweet sensation, like there were butterflies in his stomach. But what was this all about? He still felt as if he was in fog ten miles thick, not able to even feel out a shadow. “Have I suddenly run into a bout of luck in romance?” Except that, even if the maid was pretty, it did not mean that the xiaojie would be also be very beautiful. What would he do if the xiaojie looked like a hag?

A curtain made out of mottled bamboo hung from the doorframe and it had surely just recently been put in as the weather started growing hotter.

Inside the doorway, there were no sounds of people. Lifting up the curtain, XinXin invited him in a sweet tone, “Please go in and have a seat. I will ask Xiaojie to come out.”

It was a small, elegant living room inside. On the ground, there was even a thick Persian rug. Even Guo DaLu could not help wiping the mud off the bottom of his feet first before stepping inside. “Why would the master of a place like this invite a guest like me inside?”

Of course, there must be a motive. What sort of motive?

Guo DaLu looked over himself. From top to bottom, what was on his body was not even worth five qian silver in total.

He grinned to himself. Finding the most comfortable and clean chair, he sat himself down. There was a pot of tea on the table, and it was actually just freshly steeped. A few small dishes held some very exquisite teatime snacks. Guo DaLu poured some tea for himself and sipped at it while nibbling some dried apricots. It was like he was a frequent guest there, not the least bit shy or worried about courtesies.

Then, he heard the tinkling sound of bracelets. XinXin finally came back in, holding lightly onto her xiaojie’s arm. As Guo DaLu raised his head to look, his eyes bulged out in astonishment.

Last edited by Hoju!; 07-23-08 at 01:19 AM. Reason: Changed Title

YQ!!

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Default Wow!

I hope that it's Yan Qi. If it is maybe Guo DaLu will still be really dense and think that she's Yan Qi's sister!
    Great cliffhanger! This is getting exciting!
    -Doctor Who

Thank you Hoju, you are great to translate this much. Please accept my heartfelt appreciation