Page 32 of 37 FirstFirst ... 22232425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: A Happy Hero

Quote Originally Posted by Guo Xiang ( : View Post
    I would agree with this. In my view there are several problems with tests in addition to be artificial. If the tester doesn't inform the person being tested that they are going to be tested then the tester is being dishonest and manipulative. The test thus reveals more about the character of the tester than the person being tested.

On the other hand, if the tester is upfront and lets the person being tested know that they are going to have to prove themselves, then person being tested can adjust their behavior so as to pass the test in which case the test fails to reveal the tested's true character. In either case the test fails to accomplish its intended purpose. A person's character will only be revealed over time.
    Sorry Kelsey, I didn't realize I was logged in as you when I posted the above.

Quote Originally Posted by Wanlie Tong View Post
    Sorry Kelsey, I didn't realize I was logged in as you when I posted the above.
    The name's Guo Xiang ( :!
    JK.

Anyway I don't understand what you posted under my name.

These tests don't prove anything but reading this story Guo DaLu seems pretty trustworthy. But you never know. Yan Qi however seems to be hiding a lot.

So sad that the book's almost over!

Yan Qi:
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

I realized that I had been translating a name wrong. It should be MeiLan, not MeiNan. Sorry everyone!

As for why someone may think that there is a reason for all these tests, even though GDL has demonstrated many times that he's a kind-hearted person, he has also shown us several times that he won't resist a pretty girl either. I, too, am of the opinion, though, that it's not YQ's idea to have the tests. (Just to add, I've fallen a bit behind on my translating so what I've posted is basically what I've read... my guess is as good as everyone else's. )

Chapter 43 continued.....
    --------------------------------------------------

If she had not suddenly turned around to cast a glance in Guo DaLu’s direction, Guo DaLu nearly did not recognize her.

This gentle, quiet, simple girl astonishingly was MeiLan guniang, the girl who, in the daytime, had adorned herself up so that she looked like a demoness.

She clearly should have seen Guo DaLu when she turned back to look, but yet she appeared as if she had not noticed anything. Lowering her head, she proceeded forward again silently.

Guo DaLu, though, nearly could not contain himself and wanted to shout. However, even Guo DaLu did not dare cry out in such a place, did not wish to disturb the tranquility. He could only stand there in a daze.

MeiLan had gently pushed open the door and quietly stepped inside. There was still no sound inside the house, nothing astir. Clearly, this was a forbidden place that did not allow outsiders to enter, yet Guo DaLu was plainly standing there and no one was paying him any attention, as if he simply did not exist.

What sort of people actually lived here? What was it that they intended to do to him?

Guo DaLu stared blankly for a long time. All of a sudden, with large strides, he stepped into the gallery. Regardless of whether it was a person or a ghost in that room, for good or for bad, he should at least have a look.

But as his foot stepped up into the gallery, he retracted it again. He had noticed the mud on his feet. The gallery was as bright and shiny as a mirror. To step onto it with his dirty pair of feet was something even he could not bring himself to do and was a little embarrassed to do. He took off his muddy shoes. His socks could still be considered clean, although they did have a bit of a stench, but he could not worry about such things at the moment.

And so, he walked over and shoved open that door.

Surprisingly, the room was empty. There was nothing inside – no bed, no tables and chairs, no decorations, and not a single speck of dust. Spread out on the ground was a very thick straw mat, and on top of that mat was a set of snow-white bedding. A person was lying inside the covers. The scent of medicinal herbs permeated through the room. It was apparent that person had a grave illness.

Guo DaLu did not see the person’s face because right then, a white-dressed girl with long hair brushing past her shoulders was kneeling by his side, slowly feeding him the bowl of medicine that MeiLan had brought in. Guo DaLu could not see the girl’s face either as her back was facing him. Only MeiLan’s face was turned in his direction. She had clearly seen him push open the door, but there still was not a trace of expression on her face. It was as if she simply did not view him as a living human being. Guo DaLu wished he could dart over there, grab her by the hair, and ask her whether her eyes were actually on the top of her head.

This room, though, was just too quiet, so quiet that it seemed like a temple and gave people a sense of sacred solemnness that should not be desecrated. Once again, Guo DaLu nearly wanted to step back out of there. The person he was looking for was not there anyway, and plus, this type of atmosphere was precisely the type that he could not bear.

Who would have thought that, right at that moment, the girl with long hair covering her shoulders would suddenly speak up in a quiet tone? “Hurry in. Close the door. Don’t let the wind blow in here.” Listening to her tone of voice, it sounded as if she had known all along that Guo DaLu would come and also seemed to treat Guo DaLu like he was someone in her family.

Guo DaLu’s heart nearly stopped beating. That was clearly the sound of Yan Qi’s voice. Could this long-haired, white-dressed girl be Yan Qi?

The door was closed now.

Guo DaLu stood there like a wooden figure, his eyes wide as he stared at the white-dressed girl. All he could see was her back. It was thin and slender and her deep black hair hung loosely like strands of rain on her shoulders. Guo DaLu’s hands were tightly clenched, his lips dry, and his heart beating as if it wanted to jump out of his throat. He really wished he could rush over there, grab her by the shoulders, and have her turn her face toward him. No one would truly be able to comprehend how much he longed to see her face.

But he was only able to stand there like a wooden figurine. Because he did not dare – did not dare defile this sacred solemness and, even moreso, did not dare disrespect her.

The sick man had at last finished drinking his medicine and lay down. Guo DaLu could finally see his head of white hair, but he still had not seen his face yet. Kneeling beside him, she gently set down the bowl and pulled up the bedquilt over him, seeming to be very close and treating him with respect and love and consideration. If Guo DaLu had not seen his head full of white hair, he practically would not have been able to restrain his jealousy.

Who was this old man? Why would she be so considerate and caring to him?

He could hear the old man cough lightly before, after a long while, he spoke unexpectedly, “Has he arrived already?”

The white-dressed girl nodded.

The old man ordered, “Tell him to come over.” Even though his voice was old and feeble, it still carried an indescribably intimidating strength.

At last, the white-dressed girl slowly turned her head around. At last, Guo DaLu saw her face.

Last edited by Hoju!; 08-15-08 at 02:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoju! View Post
    If Guo DaLu had not seen his head full of white hair, he practically would not have been able to restrain his jealousy.
    FUNNY!

Both Yan Qi and Guo DaLu are the jealous type.
    -Doctor Who

At last, the white-dressed girl slowly turned her head around. At last, Guo DaLu saw her face.

In that instant, all things and creatures in the universe seemed to suddenly perish and stop.

“Yan Qi… Yan Qi…” Guo DaLu called out in his heart. Burning tears wanted to spill out from his eyes. There was no sound accompanying this cry of his heart, but she seemed to have heard it – only she could hear it. Beads of tears brimmed in her eyes also.

He had experienced innumerable hardships, countless torments, and numerous trials, and now, he could finally see her again. How could you tell him that he should not shed tears? How would you know whether his tears were from sadness or happiness? In the end, he managed to hold them back. Besides her, he was unwilling to have anyone see him cry.

But he was not able to stop himself from looking at her face. It was no longer that face from before which had held a bit of feiged anger and a bit of mischieviousness. Now, all that remained on that face was genuine love. Nor was it the face in the past that, although very filthy, had been filled with a healthy, joyful glow. Now, this face was pale and weary and so beautiful it could break someone’s heart. It was apparent that she, too, had endured countless torments and immeasurable pain. The one thing that had not changed was her eyes. Her eyes were just as bright and still carried that strength. But why was her head lowered? Could it be that she had not been able to stop her tears from flowing?

The old man coughed lightly once again. She finally wiped away her tears quietly, raised her head, and, beckoning to Guo DaLu with her hand, said, “Come over.”

Guo DaLu’s eyes were still fixed on her face, looking like he had been hypnotized by some sort of spell as, step by step, he walked over. Her head lowered again and her cheeks seemed to grow pink. This same rosy tint had coloured her cheeks in the past, but Guo DaLu had never really paid attention to it. Men will sometimes blush too. Right then, Guo DaLu wished he could box his own ears ten hard times. He really could not understand how he could have been so stupid and how could he have not seen that she was a woman.

With a sigh, the old man instructed, “Come a little closer. Let me take a look at you.”

Guo DaLu did not hear him. At the moment, aside from her, he was not able to hear what anyone said.

Yan Qi was nibbling on her lip. “Did you hear what my Papa said?” she chided.

Guo DaLu was taken aback by this. “He… this respected senior [orig. laorenjia; polite address for an old man/woman] is your father?”

Yan Qi nodded.

Guo DaLu immediately walked over closer. He could be disrespectful to anyone, be unhearing to anyone’s words, but of course Yan Qi’s father would be an exception.

The old man saw him. He also saw the old man.

He paused once again in astonishment.

The world has many types of people, and so, there are also many types of faces. Some faces are long, some are round, some are handsome. Some faces are bright and cheerful and they illuminate other people, while some forever look as if someone owes them 30,000 liang and has not paid them back yet. Guo DaLu had seen many people and had looked at many faces.

But he had never seen a face like this one!

Strictly speaking, this could no longer be considered a human face but rather, it was a living skull. All that was left of that long and square face was a layer of skin wrapped around bone. It seemed as if it had absolutely no blood or flesh. Yet on each side of that blade scar, blood and flesh jutted up.

The most frightful thing was that scar!

Two blade scars had been sliced across his face so that they formed a cross shape. The one on the left side cut across his eye, then across his nose all the way to the corner of his mouth. The one on the right started from his right cheek and sliced over the bridge of his nose to the base of his ear. As a result, one was not able to distinguish the shape of the nose on this face anymore. All that was left was a single eye – a half-closed eye. By now, the scar from that wound had healed over long ago, left there for an indeterminate number of years. The flesh that protruded up on either sides of the scar, though, was still deep red, like the color of fresh blood. Against his gaunt, pale face, that blood-red cross-shaped scar appeared as if it was aflame, like the mark of an evil spirit from hell.

This old man looked as if he did live in hell.

Even Guo DaLu’s breathing nearly stopped. He could not bear, and did not dare, to look at that face, but yet he could not avoid it either. In fact, he could not allow himself to show even the slightest repulsion or fear because this old man was Yan Qi’s father.

The old man was looking at him right then with that half-closed eye. After a lengthy moment, he asked slowly, “You are Guo DaLu?”

“Yes.” Guo DaLu answered.

Old man: “You are my daughter’s good friend?”

Guo DaLu: “Yes.”

Old man: “You think that my face is very ugly and very frightening?”

Guo DaLu was silent for a long while before eventually replying, “Yes.”

The old man also grew quiet for quite some time. Suddenly, from his throat, there was the sound of a short laugh. “No wonder my daughter says you are an honest and forthright person. It would appear that you really are.”

Guo DaLu cast a glance in Yan Qi’s direction. Yan Qi’s head still hung low. A smile could also be seen on MeiLan’s face. Lowering his head as well, Guo DaLu admitted, “Sometimes, I am not all that honest.” These were also very honest words. He had suddenly discovered that being truthful in front of this old man was a very good approach.

Sure enough, the old man gave a slight nod of approval. “True. Anyone who is dishonest has no hopes of coming here. An overly honest person, though, also would never be able to find this place.” With an unexpected sigh filled with emotion, he added, “That you could actually arrive here was not easy feat… truly not easy.”

As Guo DaLu heard these words in his ear, he felt a sudden twinge in his heart. Why did Yan Qi allow him to go through so many torments? Why did she want him to have to search so agonizingly?

Although the old man’s eye was half-closed, he seemed as if he had seen into Guo DaLu’s heart as he instructed, “Tell them to come in.”

MeiLan responded, “Yes.” She walked over very softly and very quietly opened another door.

Three people noiselessly walked in from the other side of the door. The first person was the pock-faced man. He had now changed into a long, snow-white robe. The instant he entered the room, he stood in a corner with his hands hanging down deferentially, showing both awe and respect, like a slave who has seen his master. Following in behind him was of course the hunchback. The third person was that one-legged monk. All three were dressed in the same white robe, and their manner all showed the same respect for the old man. The three of them stood with their heads lowered, not even glancing once at Guo DaLu.

The old man spoke, “I believe you know each other.”

The three people gave a nod of their heads in unison.

Guo DaLu could not stop himself from piping up, “They may know me, but I do not know them.”

Sighing, the old man replied, “Indeed, there are not many young people nowadays who would recognize them, but perhaps you would have heard their names.”

Guo DaLu: “Oh?”

Old man: “You had exchanged blows with Lan Kun. Were you not able to identify his martial art?”

Guo DaLu: “Lan Kun?”

Old man: “Lan Kun is his secular name. Ever since he became a monk at Shaolin, others only know him as Tie Song.”

This one-legged monk actually belonged to the sect of Shaolin! Only Shaolin’s “Wind and Thunder Demon Subduing Staff” could have that sort of astonishing might. A shocked expression came over Guo DaLu’s face as he exclaimed, “Could it be that he is the one who charged into Xingxiuhai[19] alone, who with ‘one staff subdued ten demons’ – ‘Golden Arhat’ Tie Song Dashi [dashi is a courtesy title for a Buddhist monk]?”

Old man: “Correct. It is he.”

Guo DaLu could not speak. This Golden Arhat was one of the people he had idolized in his youth. When he was seven or eight years old, he had already heard this name. Later, he heard someone say that this person had passed away. Who would have thought that he had actually gone into seclusion here?

Old man: “ ‘Beyond the Sky Roaming Dragon Divine Hunchback.’ I would think that you have heard this name before as well.”

Guo DaLu was taken aback once again. It turns out that this hunchback was actually the most famous lightness kung fu master of the past. No wonder, then, that he had only turned his head away and then even that person’s shadow could not be seen.

Old man: “ ‘Beyond the Sky Roaming Dragon Divine Hunchback’ and ‘Thousand Changes, Ten Thousand Transformations Wise Strategist’ – these two people have always been equal in fame.”

Stunned, Guo DaLu looked over at the pock-faced man and blurted, “Could he be Wise Strategist, Mr. Yuan Da?”

Old man: “So you know of him also.”

Guo DaLu stood there in a daze, unable to even exhale for a very long time. Twenty years ago, these three people had all been arrogant martial arts masters of jianghu with illustrious reputations. According to the legends of jianghu, these three had all died already. No one would have thought that these three people would be hiding here, and furthermore, seemed to have become this sickly old man’s servant and subordinate.

[19] Xingxiuhai literally translates to ‘Sea of Constellations’. Located in the Qinghai province, it is a long and narrow low-lying geographical area of very high elevation. Its surface is covered with wetlands and numerous lakes of varying sizes. If one was to look at it from high above, those still waters would seem to sparkle under the sunlight, similar to glittering stars amid the night sky.

hehe...so guo finally meets up with yan again...ashame that she's so bashful around him now. what happened to her spunk, but then again, she is in front of her sick dad. can't wait to hear her explain why guo had to endure so many tests before he was able to unite with her again. thanks hoju!
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Awesome, Hoju! Many thanks.

There is always a risk when you give your heart to another. No test can remove that risk.
    These words are so true, completely agree.

It is simply impossible to remove the risk but you can reduce it by the tests. For instance if GDL would spend the night with the prostitute no further tests would have been necessary.

Shouldn't the trust then be gained with time and events rather than some artificially derived tests?
    Oh it should sure, and in order to begin the process of gaining trust with time and events, don't tests come in handy? It is really an idea though since it probably is not doable in real life. And artificial is good since you have a control over the events and their outcomes. If you find out that he is a cheater by coincidence it would hurt more so wouldn't you want to know beforehand, before going in the relationship?

Of course this doesn't mean that the other person will never cheat since as quoted above, it is not possible to remove that risk (and I feel bad since it looks like it is very very hard for me to trust someone..) but with the tests one is able to see whether he is like that by nature or not.

Returning to the story, I'm so creeped out by the description of this man's face that I'm scared that he will enter my dreams (the knife wounds reminded me of the character Kakihara in the film Ichi the Killer)

No one would have thought that these three people would be hiding here, and furthermore, seemed to have become this sickly old man’s servant and subordinate.

As Guo DaLu’s thoughts reached this point, his heart was struck with shock again. Even supreme martial arts masters like Golden Arhat or Divine Hunchback had become this old man’s servant and moreover, showed such veneration and respect toward him. What sort of personage could this old man be? Guo DaLu really could not figure it out. Even if the former abbot of Shaolin, Tie Mei, came back to life, Golden Arhat still would not show such reverence. Even if the world’s most famous hero of the past was reborn, the Divine Hunchback and the Wise Strategist would not willingly be his servant. What power did this old man have that these three people would obey and respect him in such a way?

“They put you through quite a bit of suffering today,” the old man said. “Are you feeling rather displeased with them in your heart?”

Guo Dalu wanted to shake his head, but he did not. Forcing a smile, he admitted, “A little bit.”

Old man: “Do you think what they did was very bizarre?”

Guo DaLu: “A little bit, too… well, not just a little bit.”

Old man: “You used every possible means to try and find this place. For what reason?”

With a glance over at Yan Qi again, Guo DaLu answered haltingly, “To find her.”

“Why do you want to find her?” the old man interrogated. It seemed that whenever he spoke, he was always questioning, and what’s more, the manner in which he asked was overbearing and aggressive, not giving others the slightest bit of leeway.

Guo DaLu lowered his eyes, and he seemed bashful and uneasy. But at this moment, Yan Qi suddenly lifted up her head and gazed at him with those eyes that were clear as the autumn waters. Courage and confidence immediately flooded Guo DaLu’s heart and, raising his head, he declared loudly, “Because I like her and I want to be with her forever.” This was an open and honorable thing, and the open and upright manner that he was using demonstrated his sincerity and forthrightness.

The old man’s tone became even more stern as, articulating each word, he demanded, “Do you want to take her as your wife?”

Guo DaLu did not even need to consider. “Yes.”

“And you wil never regret it?” the old man pressed.

Guo DaLu repeated, “Never regret.”

The old man’s half-closed eye suddenly flew open. Like a bolt of lightning, light seemed to shoot out from that eye. Guo DaLu had never before seen such a threatening and terrible eye. However, he did not try to avoid its stare because he knew this was an important moment and because in his heart, he had no misgivings and his conscience was clear.

The old man stared forcefully at him and his voice was stern as he questioned, “But do you know who I am?”

Guo DaLu shook his head. This question was precisely the same one he had been suppressing in his heart for a long time and had been longing to ask.

Old man: “You see the cross-shaped sword scar on my face and you still do not know who I am?”

A shudder of fear suddenly seized Guo DaLu’s heart, and his entire body was nearly shaken by this.

Cross-shaped sword wound! Fierce Crucifix Sword! The only person who had ever escaped with his life from beneath the Fierce Crucifix Sword was NanGong Chou! Could this gravely ill old man be the real NanGong Chou?!

All Guo DaLu could sense was his head spinning dizzily. He had never before thought that the one with the most notorious reputation, the number one evil person in jianghu, NanGong Chou, was actually Yan Qi’s father. No wonder Yan Qi had been certain that that black-clothed man was definitely not NanGong Chou. And that sword that had stabbed through the wall and into the black-clothed man’s heart had actually been Yan Qi’s doing. It was evident now that she had did it because she hated this person who had posed as her father and, therefore, did not hesitate to kill him in order to protect her father’s reputation. No wonder she was never willing to reveal her background and seemed to have many secrets that she could not say. The reason why, from the very beginning, she had not been willing to disclose to Guo DaLu that she was a girl must have been because she was ashamed of her family background and was afraid that once Guo DaLu knew about it, his feelings for her would change. Hence, she had to wait until right before they were facing death before she was willing to say it. And that was why she had run away.

These things that had seemed as if they forever would not be explained all finally had an answer. But Guo DaLu nearly could not believe it.

The room was even quieter. Everyone’s eyes were fixed intently on Guo DaLu, except Yan Qi, who had lowered her head again. She seemed as if she did not dare look at Guo DaLu again. She feared that Guo DaLu’s answer would break her heart.

It was not known how much time elapsed before the old man finally asked slowly, “Now you know who I am?”

“Yes,” Guo DaLu replied.

Old man: “If you change your mind now, it is still not too late.”

Guo DaLu: “It is too late now.”

Old man: “Why?”

“Because there is nothing in the world that can change the feelings I have for her. Even I, myself, am unable to.” His voice was so resolute, so sincere. He turned his head to look into Yan Qi’s eyes. Yan Qi could not help lifting her head to gaze back at him. Tears could be seen in her eyes, but they were now tears of joy as well as tears of gratitude. Even MeiLan’s eyes seemed to have moistened slightly.

However, the old man’s lightning-like stare was still on Guo DaLu. “You are still willing to take her as your wife?”

Old man: “You are willing to be the husband of NanGong Chou’s daughter?”

The old man’s stare suddenly softened, like ice melting in the spring water, and he murmured, “Good. You really are a good child…… Yan’er truly was not wrong about you.” Slowly, he lowered the lid of his eye again and, with each word spoken clearly, said, “Now, I can set my mind at ease and entrust her to you. Now, she is your wife.”

End of Chapter 43

Finally, some of the answers we (and GDL) had been waiting for. Anyone shocked about YQ's father's identity?
    Last edited by Hoju!; 08-20-08 at 10:27 AM. Reason: Corrected typos

Finally, some of the answers we (and GDL) had been waiting for. Anyone shocked about YQ's father's identity?
    Is shocked.

Was under the impression that NanGong Chou is a much younger man- i.e. about 10 years older than GDL.

The next part is gonna, i bet, be about the enemy that is chasing them and what they gonna do.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

Wow I never expected that! So Yan Qi's real name must be NanGong Yan.
    Last edited by Guo Xiang ( :; 08-20-08 at 08:49 AM.
    -Doctor Who

I was shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Han Solo View Post
    Is shocked.

Was under the impression that NanGong Chou is a much younger man- i.e. about 10 years older than GDL.

Han Solo
    The various Nangong Chou impersonators gave me the impression that NanGong Chou was a younger man as well.
    What also surprised me was this,"He had never before thought that the one with the most notorious reputation, the number one evil person in jianghu, NanGong Chou, was actually Yan Qi’s father. "

Number one evil person? Did I miss something earlier in the story? I know that a lot of people are trying to kill him, but I didn't have the impression
    that NanGong Chou was a great villian. Didn't Golden Lion say he had hired (the fake) NanGong Chou because NanGong Chou had a reputation for being honorable?
    Last edited by Wanlie Tong; 08-20-08 at 10:15 AM. Reason: typos

It wasn't a big shocked giving how random GL could be but it's a nice twist though. By relating Yan Qi to NGC, GL revealed their secrets/background in one go. By the way, how good is this NGC's martial arts? I know he's a top class but his scar tells us that he's not unbeatable either.

And as Han Solo and Wanlie Tong mentioned earlier, I also had an impression that NGC. Anyway, seems like we can expect some big fights coming once GDL becomes in-law of this old guy. He's been roaming around like a jobless guy in order to find Yan Qi. Time for action now.

Very shocked! Its an almost nasty twist =). Especially that part about Yan Qi stabbing the fake Nangong Chou in the back. It means that she has a hard, less than innocent edge... a bit like Zhao Min.

For the longest time I thought she was related to Commander Jin... thats still one unresolved connection...
    Man is glue. You are man. How then can you step away from glue?

Quote Originally Posted by yeongwee View Post
    Very shocked! Its an almost nasty twist =). Especially that part about Yan Qi stabbing the fake Nangong Chou in the back. It means that she has a hard, less than innocent edge... a bit like Zhao Min.

For the longest time I thought she was related to Commander Jin... thats still one unresolved connection...
    yes, i like her spunk. for a while, i thought that yan qi was also related to commander jin, but it bewildered me that when he met up with the group at the manor that he had more interest in wang than yan. then again, this is gu long, so i've learn the hard way to let go of unresolved connections.

i'm not too surprise by the revelation and was sort of expecting this (not to sound like a know it all) because yan qi really defended nangong chou at one point (around the time she stabbed the impersonator). i'm just very glad that this all unraveled and yan qi is here again.

i wish that some kind person (or many kind people) who has (have) all the time in the world go back through gu long's works and filter out or edit the unresolved connections to make his novels flow better and less flawed. but i'm still enjoying gu long's novels nevertheless (despite the occasional crigeworthy drop of important characters midway through the novels)..

thanks hoju!
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Quote Originally Posted by Wanlie Tong View Post
    Number one evil person? Did I miss something earlier in the story? I know that a lot of people are trying to kill him, but I didn't have the impression
    that NanGong Chou was a great villian. Didn't Golden Lion say he had hired (the fake) NanGong Chou because NanGong Chou had a reputation for being honorable?
    According to Lin TaiPing's initial description of the infamous NanGong Chou, he is an evil man. Taken from post #122
    Lin TaiPing: “It is said that his favourite thing to do is to kill. Sometimes he kills people for his own pleasure, other times it’s for money. And though he was able to escape from the Crucifix Sword with his life, he still came out of the fight with a cross-shaped scar on his face. That is why he does not allow people to see his face.”
    But I wonder if we will find out whether his notorious reputation is because of his own doing or because impersonators have taken advantage of the fact that no one has seen his face and so, they committed all thoe evil deeds under his name.

Oh, that makes sense. Never thought about that.
    -Doctor Who

An earlier update today. I'm flying home for a wedding now, and won't have internet access. I'll be back on Monday. A very sweet update for now.

Chapter 44 – Things of the Past

Wedding night [orig dong fang; literally ‘cave chamber’ and also refers to the nuptial room].

How many unmarried youth in this world are fantasizing about their wedding night, that beautifully romantic setting? And how many people in their old age are recalling the sweetness and warmth of that day in their newlyweds’ room?

Fantasies and recollections forever are beautiful.

In reality, the wedding night in that newlywed’s room is usually not as sweet and warm as the one in the memories, and the setting is never near as beautiful as the one in the fantasies.

Some people who think they are very intelligent often describe the nuptial room to be like a grave and will even say that the noises that come from that room will sometimes sound like that of a slaughterhouse.

Obviously, the newlyweds’ room is not a grave or a slaughterhouse. Well then, what is it like in that newlyweds’ room?

The nuptial room is usually not a very warm room. Everywhere there are bright colors, and all around there is the scent of paint in addition to the smell of alcohol left behind by the guests who had come to offer their congratulations. The person who is able to stay in that room for one or two shi chen [1 shi chen = 2 hours] and not vomit must have a very uniquely made nose and stomach.

Of course, inside that newlyweds’ room, there is a man and a woman. These two people usually do not know each other all that well, and so, they usually do not have much to say to one another. Therefore, even if outside, things are so noisy they could overturn the heavens, it is usually very calm inside the newlyweds’ room. Though the guests are going all out as they eat and drink away, as if they need to get their money’s worth, the groom and bride usually are hungry on their empty stomachs. This should have been their wedding night, but the day seemed as if it had been lived for other people.

The red cloth that had been covering Yan Qi’s face had been raised now. Her head was lowered as she sat on the edge of the bed and stared down at her red embroidered shoes. Guo DaLu was sitting far away on a chair by the small round table, and he seemed to be staring off blankly also.

She did not dare look at him; he, too, did not dare look at her. If he had had some wine to drink, he may have relaxed a little, but what was ironic was he had actually not had anything to drink that day. It seems that any time a groom wants to drink some wine, there will always immediately be some “kind-hearted people” who go over to stop him, scrambling to drink it for him.

The two had been very good friends to begin with, and they should have had many things to say to each other everyday. But the instant they became husband and wife, it seemed as if they were no longer friends. The two of them had suddenly become distant with each other and very self-conscious. So, both were embarrassed to speak first.

Guo DaLu had thought that he would be able to handle this very well, but the instant he entered into the wedding chamber, he suddenly discovered that he had turned into an idiot. He really was not used to situations like this. He had originally wanted to walk over and sit beside Yan Qi, but for some reason, his two legs had grown weak and he could not even stand. And then, he did not know how much time had passed, but when all he could feel was his neck starting to stiffen –

“I need to sleep,” Yan Qi suddenly spoke. When she said she was going to sleep, she really did go to sleep. Without even taking off her shoes, she fell back onto the bed, yanked up the red silk covers embroidered with two mandarin ducks frolicking in the water, and wrapped herself in it tightly. She turned to face the wall, her body curled up so that she looked like a dried shrimp.

Guo DaLu was gnawing on his lip as he watched her. A smile gradually began to twinkle in his eyes. “Why aren’t you telling me to get out today?”

Yan Qi paid no attention to him, appearing to be asleep.

“Aren’t you unable to fall asleep when there are other people in your room?” Guo DaLu chuckled.

Yan Qi had wanted to ignore him, but yet, was unable to resist retorting, “If you would just talk a little less, I will be able to sleep.”

Batting his eyes, Guo DaLu inquired again in a drawn out voice, “With me in the room, you are still able to sleep?”

She nibbled on her lip and answered softly, “You… you are not ‘other people.’ ”

“If I am not ‘other people’, then who am I?” Guo DaLu pressed.

A “pfft” suddenly escaped from Yan Qi’s lips, and she giggled, “You are a big-headed ghost.”

“Weird; so weird,” Guo DaLu sighed unexpectedly. “Why would you marry me, this big-headed ghost? I seem to recall you once saying that, even if every other man in the world had died off, you still would not marry me.”

Flipping back over abruptly, Yan Qi grabbed a pillow and tossed it forcefully at Guo DaLu. Her face was so red it looked like a ripe apple that had just been freshly picked.

The pillow came flying back, bringing along Guo DaLu as he soared back with it.

Blushing furiously, Yan Qi stammered, “What… what… what do you want to do?”

“I want to bite you.”

It was not known when, but the pink curtains had been let down.

If someone must say that the sounds that come from a newlyweds’ room are like those in a slaughterhouse, then this particular slaughterhouse must have been used to kill mosquitoes. Their voices were also like the humming of mosquitoes.

Guo DaLu seemed to be saying softly, “Weird. Really weird.”

Yan Qi: “What’s weird this time?”

Guo DaLu: “Why isn’t your body smelly at all?”

All that could be heard, then, was a “smack!”, as if someone was slapping a mosquito. And then, each successive slap got lighter and lighter, lighter and lighter……

Thumbs up

One of my favorite scenes so far!

According to Lin TaiPing's initial description of the infamous NanGong Chou, he is an evil man. Taken from post #122

But I wonder if we will find out whether his notorious reputation is because of his own doing or because impersonators have taken advantage of the fact that no one has seen his face and so, they committed all thoe evil deeds under his name.
    I had forgotten what Lin TaiPing had said. Thanks Hoju. I think you are right about NGC's reputation possibly being the result of the actions of the vatious impostors. It would be hard to imagine that GDL's boyhood idols would be assisting NGC if NGC is in fact so evil.
    Last edited by Wanlie Tong; 08-22-08 at 11:50 AM.