Page 34 of 37 FirstFirst ... 2425262728293031323334353637 LastLast

Thread: A Happy Hero

Chapter 45 continued.....
    --------------------------------------------------

From outside the door, another person had walked on in.

This person was very short, very plump. On his body, he wore bright scarlet clothing, and his round face had a red glow that seemed even redder than his clothes. He, too, had clasped his hands behind his back as he leisurely walked in, and his expression was also very relaxed.

This time, no one asked him the reason why he was there and instead, only staring wide-eyed at him. In any case, all the flowers in the courtyard had died of poisoning already. Let’s see what other tricks you want to play.

This red-clothed person also simply seemed not to see them as he slowly ambled around the courtyard once. Then, with a flourish of his sleeve, he turned and left abruptly. Not only did he not say anything, he did not play any tricks either.

But on the ground, there was now a circle of footprints. Each footprint was extremely deep, like it had been carved out with a knife.

Guo DaLu sighed and looked over at Yan Qi. “I would rather let an elephant stomp once on me than have this person step on me with his foot. What about you?” he asked.

Yan Qi replied, “I would not want either.”

Guo DaLu could not help chuckling, “You’re much smarter than me.” He did not laugh for long, though, because someone had shown up outside the door again.

This time, the one who arrived was a white-clothed man. He was dressed entirely in garments as white as snow, and his expression was also cold like ice and snow. The others had slowly walked in; he did not. His body seemed airily light. A breeze had blown by, and then he had already appeared inside their courtyard. At this moment, outside the doorway, an iridescent sword light suddenly shot into the air and flew horizontally across the treetops before disappearing with a flash. At once, the leaves on the trees began drifting down like snowflakes.

The white-clothed man lifted his head to look. Then all of a sudden, with a flutter of his long gown, he made a waving motion towards the sky with his hand. The falling leaves that had filled the sky immediately vanished. Then he, too, disappeared, as if he had suddenly been blown out of there by a gust of wind.

And right at the same time, a low voice was heard from outside the door asking, “Where is Wang Zhangzhu [Manor Master Wang], Wang Dong?”

Standing beneath a white poplar tree two zhang [1 zhang = 3 1/3 metres] was an old man dressed in garments made of a rough, brown cloth and whose head was covered with white hair. In his hand, he held a large red card, and his gleaming eyes were looking right at them.

The six of them stood there in a row in front of the doorway as if they had deliberately paraded out so the person could watch them.

The brown-clothed man’s eyes moved across each one of their faces before he asked in a low tone, “Which one of you is Wang Zhuangzhu?”

Wang Dong: “Me.”

The brown-clothed old man addressed him, “I have right here an invitation card. I specially brought it here to invite Wang Zhuangzhu.”

Wang Dong: “There is someone who wants to treat me to dinner.”

Brown-clothed old man: “Precisely.”

Wang Dong: “When?”

Brown-clothed old man: "Tonight.”

Wang Dong: “Where?”

Brown-clothed old man: “Right at this place.”

Wang Dong: “How very convenient.”

Brown-clothed old man: “Yes, truly very convenient. Wang Zhuangzhu only needs to step out of your door and then you will be there.”

Wang Dong: “Who is the host?”

Brown-clothed old man: “The host will certainly be here to welcome you tonight. Wang Zhuanghu will definitely be able to see him.”

Wang Dong: "If that is the case, then why the need to specially come here and present the invitation card.”

“Customs and manners cannot be neglected,” the brown-clothed old man stated. “An invitation is always necessary. Wang Zhuangzhu, please accept it.” He lifted his hand, and then, the invitation card was gliding slowly towards Wang Dong. It was flying very slowly, very slowly, practically as if there was an invisble pair of hands beneath it holding it up.

Wang Dong gave a little chuckle before responding in an indifferent tone, “So you, sir, specially brought this invitation just so you could allow me to see this one display of qigong [i.e. chi].”

His face grim, the brown-clothed man said coldly, “Wang Zhuangzhu, you laugh at me.”

The look on Wang Dong’s face also became stern. “Just a moment ago, there were several people who displayed some very attractive martial arts also. Do you, sir, know them?”

Brown-clothed old man: “Yes.”

Wang Dong: “Who are they?”

Brown-clothed old man: “Wang Zhuangzhu, why would you need to ask me?”

Wang Dong: “If I don’t ask you, who would I ask?”

With a sudden laugh as well, the brown-clothed old man’s eyes strayed over, perhaps intentionally or perhaps not, to give Lin TaiPing a glance.

Guo DaLu could not help looking over at Lin TaiPing also, and only then did he notice that Lin TaiPing’s complexion was so pale there was no color in his cheeks at all, and his expression was almost the same as the one Wang Dong had had when he saw the kite in the sky.

Could these people be here to find Lin TaiPing?
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

Can I take the first guess?

They are the Purple Girl's friends or relatives here to force LTP to marry her. The invitation is for the wedding dinner that night. =) The question is why would they choose Wang Dong to treat with?
    Man is glue. You are man. How then can you step away from glue?

So much suspense!!!
    "I'd call you a genius... but I'm in the room."
    -Doctor Who

Must be his dad

Quote Originally Posted by davidY View Post
    Must be his dad
    Who's dad?
    -Doctor Who

Could these people be here to find Lin TaiPing?

The brown-clothed old man was gone already.

When he left, Wang Dong had neither tried to stop him nor ask him anything else. Everyone could tell that the people who had come today must have some sort of relation to Lin TaiPing. No one asked him. In fact, everyone even tried to avoid looking at him so he would not feel awkward. Guo DaLu even asked Wang Dong, “What type of qigong do you think that skill he showed a moment ago was?”

Wang Dong: “Qigong is qigong. There is only one type.”

Guo DaLu: “Why would there only be one type?”

Wang Dong: “How many types of nu’er hong wine [lit. “daughter red” wine] are there?”

Guo DaLu: “Only one.”

Wang Dong: “Why is there only one type?’

Guo DaLu: “Because nu’er hong is already the best wine. No matter what the thing is, if it is the best, then there is only one type of it.”

Wang Dong: “If you understand this principle, then why do you still need to ask me?”

Guo DaLu’s eyes darted around. “In my opinion, the most frightening thing was still that sword. It basically was like the Yu Jian [Sword Driving] technique of the legends that could behead someone from thousands of li away.”

Wang Dong: “Far from it.”

Guo DaLu: “How do you know it is far from it?”

Wang Dong: “I just know.”

Guo DaLu sighed and gave a cynical smile. “Why have you suddenly become so unreasonable?”

Wang Dong: “When have I ever been reasonable?”

Guo DaLu: “Rarely.”

Naturally, they were bantering like this because they wanted Lin TaiPing to feel more at ease. However, Lin TaiPing’s face was still pale and bloodless, and even his hands were gripped tightly together in anxiety. He paced back and forth, making several circles around the courtyard. All of a sudden, his footsteps ceased, and he announced loudly, “I know who they are.”

Nobody wanted to start the converstion, but each one of them was listening.

Staring down at the footprints on the ground, Lin TaiPing said, “That man is called Qiang Long [Powerful Dragon], and he is the one among the “Eight Dragons Beyond Heaven” who has the most powerful hard kung fu.”

Wang Dong’s brows came together in a frown. “Eight Dragons Beyond Heaven? Each one of those three people who showed up here just now is one of the Eight Dragons Beyond Heaven?”

“Every one of them,” Lin TaiPing answered.

Wang Dong: “Do you mean the ‘Eight Divine Dragon Generals’ under the Terrestrial Dragon King?”

Lin TaiPing: “There is only one ‘type’ of Eight Dragons Beyond Heaven as well.”

Wang Dong: “How do you know?”

Lin TaiPing: “I just know.”

Wang Dong looked over at Guo DaLu, and the two of them grinned. Guo DaLu remarked, “That’s called, ‘what goes around comes around’, and it certainly came around really quickly.”

A pained expression could be seen in Lin TaiPing’s eyes. His hands were clenched tensely as he paced around in several more circles. His steps suddenly halted again. “They know who I am as well,” he declared loudly.

Guo DaLu could not help joking, “I don’t need them to tell me. I know too.”

Lin TaiPing stared intently at him. His gaze seemed very peculiar. “Do you really know?”

“Of course,” Guo DaLu answered.

“Who am I?” Lin TaiPing asked.

This should have been the easiest question to answer, but for some reason, Guo DaLu could only stare blankly back at him.

Lin TaiPing heaved an unexpected sigh, and the look on his face grew even more agonized as he slowly said, “Nobody knows who I am. Even I do not want to know myself.”

Guo DaLu could not stop himself from asking, “Why?”

Looking down at his tightly clenched fists, Lin TaiPing stated, “Because I am Terrestrial Dragon King’s son.”

When he spoke this one sentence, even Wang Dong showed an expression of astonishment. Guo DaLu stood there dumbfounded. The degree of shock he was feeling was similar to what he had felt when he heard that Yan Qi was NanGong Chou’s daughter.

With a forced smile, Hong NiangZi said, “Your father moves about anywhere underneath Heaven unhindered. His aura surpasses everything of this present age. Who in the wulin world does not respect him?......”

Lin TaiPing suddenly cut her off and shouted, “Me!”

Hong NiangZi was taken aback. “You?”

Through grit teeth, Lin TaiPing said, “My only wish is that I did not have such a father.”

Guo DaLu frowned. “Even if you are unhappy about the marriage he arranged for you, you still should not…”

Lin TaiPing interrupted again, “He was not the one who arranged my marriage for me.”

“He wasn’t?” Guo DaLu said in surprise.

There were tears brimming in Lin TaiPing’s eyes now, and hanging his head, he explained, “When I was five years old, he left us. From that point onward, I have never seen him again.”

Guo DaLu hesitated, “You… you… you have always been with your mother?”

Lin TaiPing nodded. The tears had spilled over now.

Guo DaLu could not ask anymore, nor did he need to ask anymore. He looked over at Yan Qi. Both of them understood in their hearts that it was not odd for a man like Terrestrial Dragon King to dump a woman.

But if the woman who had been discarded was one’s own mother, what would the son feel in his heart?

Each one of them felt tremendous sympathy for Lin TaiPing inside, but none of them dared to show it – sometimes sympathy and pity can also stab and hurt someone’s heart.

Right then, the only person who could console Lin TaiPing was the little young miss. Everyone was trying to find a way to drop a hint to her and have her stay there alone to keep Lin TaiPing company, but they suddenly noticed that the expression on her face was not all that different from Lin TaiPing’s. Her complexion was frightfully ashen, her head was lowered, and she was biting down on her lip so hard she was going to break the skin soon. Could this innocent and kind-hearted little young miss also have a secret that could not be divulged?

Lin TaiPing suddenly started mumbling to himself, “This time, he must have come here to force me to go back with him. He was afraid I would try and escape so he first blocked off every route out of here.”

Guo DaLu could not help asking, “What do you plan on doing?”

Lin TaiPing’s fists were still clenched together tightly. “There is no way I will go back with him. Ever since the day he left us, I have not had a father.” Wiping away his tears, he lifted his head. On his face, there was a resolute expression as he looked at Wang Dong and the others and, speaking each word clearly, declared, “Anyhow, this whole matter has nothing to do with all of you; therefore, there is no need for any of you to go see him tonight. I…”

All of a sudden, the little young miss spoke, “You do not need to go as well.”

Lin TaiPing paused in surprise, staring dazedly for a very long time. “Why don’t I need to go?” he finally could not help asking.

Little young miss: “Because the one he wants is not you either.”

Lin TaiPing: ‘If it’s not me, then who is it?”

Little young miss: “It’s me.”

As these words came off her lips, everyone was even more stunned. The one who shook the world, Terrestrial Dragon King, would actually come here to find a young girl who sold flowers? Who could believe that?

But when they saw the look on her face, it was impossible for them not to believe. She seemed to have suddenly transformed into a completely different person. She was no longer shy as she looked directly at Lin TaiPing and asked slowly, “Do you know who I am?”

Very nice guess, davidY! Now who is that girl?
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

Is this terrestial dragon the same as in the ming jian feng liu?

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control

aha so father was sort of right in an indirect way :P but i guess that maybe she is related to him otherwise she wouldn't be so worried *thinks back to duan yu and his sisters*

Quote Originally Posted by davidY View Post
    aha so father was sort of right in an indirect way :P but i guess that maybe she is related to him otherwise she wouldn't be so worried *thinks back to duan yu and his sisters*
    Oh. LTP's dad. This is getting so exciting!!!
    -Doctor Who

I can't wait....

Thanks again Hoju! Two translations at the same time! Great job.

Han, I'm not certain. I haven't read MJFL. Anyone else able to help with Han's question?

---------------------------------------------
    “Do you know who I am?”

This, too, should have been a very easy question to answer, but Lin TaiPing stood there in a daze.

She stared at him with the trace of a mournful smile showing on the corner of her lips. “Nobody knows who I am. Even I do not want to know myself.” Lin TaiPing had just said these words and now she was saying them again. They should have found this very funny.

Looking at her right then, though, no one, no matter who it was, would be able to laugh. If Yan Qi had not been there by his side, Guo DaLu nearly would not have been able to stop himself from going over to take her hand in his and ask her why she was so sad, so miserable. She was so young, and her life was so beautiful. What problem could there possibly be that could not be solved?

Lin TaiPing had walked over and taken her hand. “It does not matter what kind of person you may be,” he soothed. “I only know that you are you.”

The little young miss allowed her icy hand to be gripped tightly by him. “I know that your words are sincere, except… you should still ask and find out who I am.”

Forcing a smile, Lin TaiPing conceded, “Alright. I’ll ask. Who are you really?”

The little young miss’s eyes closed, and she answered slowly, “I am your future wife, your mother’s future daughter-in-law, but I am your father’s enemy from the past.”

Lin TaiPing’s body all of a sudden froze over. His tightly closed hand slowly let go, falling to his side… His heart sank along with it. It seemed as if it had sunk all the way to bottom of his ice-cold feet and he was standing on it.

Yu LingLong! She was Yu LingLong!

No one could believe it was true. No one was willing to believe it. This gentle, kind, and innocent girl really was that vicious, shrewish, and arrogant “evil, female star” [orig. nu sha xing; a ‘sha xing’ (evil or malignant star) refers to a person who brings calamities, hardships, disasters]? Everyone’s eyes were on her.

Her head was lowered, her hair mussed. It looked as if her heart was broken.

Guo DaLu suddenly could not help feeling sympathy in his heart. Exhaling a long sigh, he smiled bitterly and said, “You are the wife that his mother chose, yet you are his father’s enemy? How could there be such a complicated relationship in the world? You… you must be joking.” Of course he knew that this unquestionably was not a joke, but he still would rather believe that it was not true.

Yu LingLong’s smile became even more sorrowful. “I understand your good intentions,” she said sadly, “but unfortunately, some things in the world just have to be this way.”

“I still do not believe it,” Guo DaLu insisted.

Her head hanging low, she explained, “The enmity between Terrestrial Dragon King and our Yu family has been accumulating for many years now. Twenty years ago, he had already sworn that he would see with his own eyes the entire Yu family dead and eradicated.

Guo DaLu cried out unintentionally, “Your father, was he…” He did not dare continue. If Yu LingLong’s father had died by the hand of Terrestrial Dragon King, then no one else would be able to help them resolve the hatred of your own father being murdered.

Yu LingLong was shaking her head, though. “My father did not die by his hand.” Hatred was showing in her eyes as she carried on in a cold tone, “That’s because, even if his abilities are as great as the Heavens, he still would not have been able to kill a person who was already dead.”

Guo DaLu’s breathing became easier, but he could not help drawing his brows into a frown and saying, “Your mother…”

“My mother’s surname is not Yu. It is Wei,” she told him.

“Wei?” Guo DaLu repeated. “Could it be that she is Madam Lin’s sister?”

Nodding her head, Yu LingLong continued, “It was for this reason that he let my mother go, but he did not know at the time that my mother was already pregnant with me. I am still surnamed Yu.”

Guo DaLu sighed, “He, of course, learned afterward that this person, you, existed.”

“That is why I would always avoid him,” Yu LingLong explained. “If he was in the north, I would not go to the north; if he was in the south, I would not go to the south. His fame is greater than mine, so for me to hide from him would always be easier than for him to try to find me."

Smiling cynically, Guo DaLu muttered, “I had said it before: it is not a good thing for a person to be too famous.”

Yu LingLong: “It is not too bad neither.”

Guo DaLu: “In truth, your mother should not have allowed you to become famous. If you really were just a normal girl, perhaps he may never have found you.”

Yu LingLong ground her teeth together. “To live like that, what’s the difference from being dead?”

Guo DaLu: “There are many people in the world who live like that, and what’s more, their lives are very good.”

Yu LingLong: “But our Yu family has never had people like that, and furthermore, the Yu family reputation cannot cease with my generation.”

Guo DaLu: “Where is your mother now?”

Her voice filled with sadness. “She passed away last year.” Nibbling on her lip, she said, “Before she died, she was still afraid that Terrestrial Dragon King would not leave me alone, so she deliberately sought out her younger sister…”

Guo DaLu: “She went to find Madam Lin?”

Yu LingLong nodded. “She hoped Madam Lin would be able to find some way to resolve the enmity between our two families, but alas, even Madam Lin herself was powerless to do anything. And so…”

Guo DaLu: “And so she betrothed you to her only son, hoping that the hatred of your two families could be dissolved away with this marriage.”

Yu LingLong: “I think that must have been her intention.”

With a glance from the corner of his eye at Lin TaiPing, Guo DaLu remarked, “It is unfortunate that her son did not understand his mother’s good intention.”

Yu LingLong smiled sadly. “The next generation is never able to understand the previous generation’s good intentions. Even I was the same. I, too, had not wanted to be the daughter-in-law of the Lin family.” She did not dare look at Lin TaiPing, but her eyes still seemed to unconsciously throw a look in his direction.

Lin TaiPing’s entire body seemed to have grown ice-cold and stiff. “Why, then, did you come here to find me?” he asked unexpectedly.

The smile on Yu LingLong’s face became even more miserable. In a soft voice, she returned, “You don’t understand?”

“Of course I don’t understand,” Lin TaiPing cried.

Forcing herself to maintain her composure and not allowing her tears to spill over, she asked one more sentence: “You really do not understand?”

Lin TaiPing: “I do not understand!”

Her whole body all of a sudden began trembling and she rasped, “Fine. I’ll tell you. I did it only because I had once sworn to you that one day, I would make you beg me to marry you.”

Lin TaiPing looked like someone had just struck him forcefully in the chest. He was not even able to keep himself steady on his feet.

Yu LingLong appeared as if she was going to collapse herself.

They did not know how much time had passed until, through gritted teeth, Lin TaiPing spat out each word clearly: “Now I understand… I finally understand!” He did not say anything else. Spinning around abruptly, he dashed back into his room.

“Bang!” The door closed.

Yu LingLong had not looked at him again, but her tears were falling quietly…

End of Chapter 45
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

Pride... the enemy of love.

Ok, so why did LTP and the rest not recognise her? I'm sure they had a good look at her the last time she came...

Anyways, thanks Hoju, for another magnificent update!

I was wondering as well how they could not recognize her. I ended up rationalizing it to myself by using make-up as an explanation.

Quote Originally Posted by Post #512
    A pretty and youthful face. Even though it was made up with rouge and powder, trying as much as possible to appear like a grownup, its childlike air still could not be concealed, just like no matter how thick the make-up is applied, an old lady will never be able to hide her wrinkles behind it. This “old woman” who had this grand and impressive air, who smoked, and who had someone massage her legs, was actually a sixteen, seventeen year old girl. Guo DaLu was utterly dumbfounded.

<<snipped some text>>

This girl was obviously young and pretty. Why was it she insisted on putting forth the appearance of an old woman?
    My speculation: she probably had the make-up really caked on the first meeting. We know what make-up can do for/to a girl's face.
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

Now that you mention it, makes sense It never ceases to amaze me how different my lady friends look when they go all out with the makeup at their weddings Takes a lady to call it

Congratz Hoju!
    For persisting on the work.
    Just nearing the finish line now...

This story has a very nice tie-up at the end... Good Gu Long write-up.

By the way, since you're so close, you can take your time, now....
    Hihihi... just kidding.
    I notice some people downloading the half-baked story - evidently they couldn't resist finding out about the end of the story...

fastclock - Wuxia Stories

LOL fastclock. Actually, I'm trying to pick up my speed. I need to get this done very soon because I'm moving at the end of the month. Stress!
    Anyways, it's the final chapter!

Chapter 46 – A Human is a Human

Why is it that right before a storm approaches, it is always gloomily tranquil?

The sky was so clear it seemed as if it had been washed. The sheet of blue stretched on for ten thousand li.

There was no storm. The storm was in the hearts of people.

This type of storm was the most terrifying of all.

Out in the hallway, it was so quiet that the sound of Wang Dong’s breathing could be heard coming from his room. His breathing was deep and heavy, and he actually seemed as if he was asleep. It took true skill for someone to be able to sleep in such a time.

Guo Dalu and Yan Qi’s whereabouts were unknown. In the eyes of other people, the actions of newlyweds always seem a little mysterious.

Only Hong NiangZi was keeping Yu LingLong company.

Two lonely people. Two broken hearts.

Yu LingLong stared numbly off into the distance. There was nothing in the distance. There was nothing in her eyes. Her entire being seemed empty.

Out of the blue, Hong NiangZi suddenly gave a sigh. “I know you were lying just now.”

“Lying?” Yu LingLong responded blankly.

Hong NiangZi: “You came here this time not because you wanted revenge and not because you wanted him to get on his knees and beg you.”

Yu LingLong: “I don’t want it?”

“In the past, you might not have been willing to be the Lin family’s daughter-in-law, but now, you are willing to be Lin TaiPing’s wife. I can tell.” Hong NiangZi exhaled a long breath. “But I do not understand. Why won’t you tell him?”

Yu LingLong was biting down on her own lip. “If you can tell, he should be able to as well.”

Sighing, Hong NiangZi told her, “You still do not understand men, especially his particular type. He may look like he is very frail, but in reality, he is stronger than anyone.”

Yu LingLong: “Oh?”

Hong NiangZi: “But the strongest people will oftentimes be the most fragile of people. Others only need to hurt him in the smallest of ways, and his heart will break.”

Yu LingLong: “You think I hurt him?”

Hong NiangZi: “You should not have said those words to him. You should have been honest with him, told him the feelings you have for him now, and let him know your sincerity. Only then will he be sincere to you too.”

Yu LingLong gave a forlorn smile. “I understand what you mean. I had originally wanted to do as you just said, but unfortunately…” Her head lowered until it was hanging very low, and she continued in a soft voice, “Regardless of what I do now, it is too late…”

Hong NiangZi looked at her with tender compassion in her eyes. She seemed to see her own reflection in this stubborn, lonely girl. It was true; it was too late now. Once an opportunity is missed, it will never come back again.

Forcing a little laugh, Hong NiangZi comforted, “Maybe it is not too late. Perhaps you should use some sort of scheme on him. Sometimes when you are dealing with men, you need to scheme a bit. As long as he takes you as his wife, you will be the Lin family’s daughter-in-law, and then, Terrestrial Dragon King will not…”

Yu LingLong lifted her head unexpectedly and cut off her sentence. “You do not need to say anymore. I already have my own plans. No matter what, Terrestrial Dragon King is also a person. Why must I be afraid of him?” Although her expression was still sorrowful, stubbornness and pride had filled her eyes. She had always been one who was unwilling to bow her head.

Hong NiangZi had lowered her head now. She knew there was no need for her to say anything else, nor could she say anything else.

All of a sudden, Yu LingLong clasped her hand. “No matter what,” she said gently, “I am still just as grateful to you for your kind intentions.”

Hong NiangZi: “I know.”

Yu LingLong: “But there is one thing you do not know.”

Hong NiangZi: “You can say it.”

Turning her gaze to Wang Dong’s window, Yu LingLong said quietly, “You truly are able to understand people, but yet, why is it that you cannot understand him?”

Hong NiangZi smiled. It, too, was a very desolate smile. A long time passed by before she responded in a quiet tone, “Perhaps it is because he really is not a person; otherwise, how could he sleep right now?”

Was Wang Dong really sleeping?

Why was there no longer the sound of his breathing in the room?

Terrestrial Dragon King leaned sideways on his soft, tiger-skin bed and stared at Wang Dong as if he wanted to pierce two holes into Wang Dong’s face.

Even Wang Dong felt as if his face had had two holes bored into it. Never before had he seen such eyes. Never before had he seen such a person. The Terrestrial Dragon King of his imagination did not look like that.

What kind of person should Terrestrial Dragon King have been?

Of course, he would certainly be a very tall, well-built man, very mighty-looking, extremely majestic and powerful, red-faced with a long beard, and have a lion-like nose and mouth like the ocean. Perhaps there would be white hairs covering his face, but his waist would be perfectly straight when he stood, just like the gods that you see in paintings. When he spoke, his voice would undoubtedly be like a mighty bell or a great drum, and it would have the ability to shake your ears until they tingled numbly. And when his anger was about to explode, the best thing you could do was to get far, far away from him. Wang Dong had even prepared himself to listen to his roar of anger.

But he was mistaken.

As soon as he laid eyes on Terrestrial Dragon King, he knew that regardless of who wanted to provoke him into anger, it would absolutely not be an easy thing to do.

Only the ones who never grow angry are the ones who should truly be feared.

His complexion was pale, his hair was very thin, and his beard was not long. His hair and beard were groomed so that they were clean, shiny, and neat, and his hands looked very well taken care of so that it was difficult for anyone to believe they had ever taken someone’s life. His dress was simple for he knew there was no longer any need for him to use resplendent attire and precious jewels to flaunt his status and wealth.

He had not stood when Wang Dong entered. No matter who came in, he still would not stand. No matter who it was, no one would blame him.

Because he only had one leg!

Terrestrial Dragon King, the one who had did as he pleased, completely unhindered in the world, who showed disdain for all the heroes of the martial world, was actually a cripple with only one leg.

Inside that enormous tent, it was silent. Besides the two of them, there were no other people.

Wang Dong had come inside the tent for a long time now, and, in a respectful tone, had only said four words: “I am Wang Dong.”

Terrestrial Dragon King had not even said a single word in return. Any other person would have thought that he had not heard what was said.

But Wang Dong did not think that. Wang Dong knew that only after he had decided on what to do would he open his mouth to speak.

There are some people who never say a single wrong sentence. He, very obviously, was one of thsoe people. Strangely enough, though, for these kinds of people, even if 10,000 of their sentences were wrong, it still would not matter.

Wang Dong was waiting, standing there waiting.

At last, Terrestrial Dragon King stretched out his arm and pointed at a wolf-skin cushion. “Sit.”

Wang Dong sat down.

Terrestrial Dragon King pointed again, this time at the gold goblet on the small table beside the wolf-skin cushion. “Wine.”

Wang Dong shook his head.

Terrestrial Dragon King’s eyes were clear as he assessed, “You only drink wine with your friends.”

Wang Dong: “Sometimes there are exceptions.”

Terrestrial Dragon King; “What sort of times?”

Wang Dong: “When I just want to be cursory with a person. But I do not want be cursory with you.

Terrestrial Dragon King: “Why?”

Wang Dong: “Because I will never act cursorily towards someone who is worthy of my respect.”

Terrestrial Dragon King stared at him. Another long while passed until he gave a sudden laugh and said, “You came early.”

Wang Dong: “My intention was never to come here to drink wine.”

With a slow nod of his head, Terrestrial Dragon King agreed, “Naturally it was not.” He raised the jade cup before him and sipped slowly from it. All of a sudden, like the blade of a knife, his gaze whipped back towards Wang Dong. “You are looking at my leg?”

Wang Dong: “Yes.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “You must be puzzling over who would actually be capable of chopping off my leg.”

Wang Dong: ‘Yes.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “Do you want to know who it is?”

Wang Dong: “No.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “Why not?”

Wang Dong: “Because, no matter who he may be, I would think he is certainly long dead by now.”

Terrestrial Dragon King gave an unexpected laugh. “It appears you are not a person of many words.”

Wang Dong: “I am not.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “I like people who do not speak much. The things they say are usually quite reliable.”

Wang Dong: “Usually they are, yes.”

“Good. Now, you might as well tell me what it is you are here to do.” He did not wait for Wang Dong to open his mouth as he added, “It will be best if you only use one sentence to say it.”

“You cannot kill Yu LingLong,” Wang Dong stated.

Terrestrial Dragon King’s face hardened.
    Last edited by Hoju!; 09-13-08 at 02:41 AM.
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

Thanks again hoju! Can't wait to see how everything ends.

Chapter 46 continued.....

Terrestrial Dragon King’s face hardened. “Why not?”

Wang Dong: “If you want Lin TaiPing to continue living, then you cannot kill Yu LingLong.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “If I kill Yu LingLong, Lin TaiPing will die for her?”

Wang Dong: “You do not believe it?”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “You believe it?”

Wang Dong: “If I did not believe, I would not come here.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “You believe that there are people in the world who are willing to die for someone else?”

Wang Dong: “Not only that ‘there are people’ but that there are many people.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “Name two for me to hear.”

Wang Dong: “Lin TaiPing. Me.”

Terrestrial Dragon King laughed.

Wang Dong: “You do not believe it?”

Terrestrial Dragon King: ‘You believe it?”

Wang Dong: “Why don’t you make a wager with me?”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “What are we betting?”

Wang Dong: “My life for Yu LingLong’s life.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “And how will this bet work?”

Wang Dong: “If Lin TaiPing is not willing to die for Yu LingLong, you may take my life at any time.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “Otherwise?”

Wang Dong: “You will be free to leave. Therefore, regardless of win or loss, you have nothing to lose.”

Terrestrial Dragon King gave a cool laugh. “Nothing to lose?...... The ones who think that way must still have two legs.”

Wang Dong: “Even if someone chopped off one of my legs, I would still only seek him out, not his daughter.”

The look from Terrestrial Dragon King’s eyes grew even sharper. After a long time, he finally said unhurriedly, “You are able to prove that Lin TaiPing would die for her?”

“I cannot; you can,” Wang Dong replied. In a slow tone, he continued, “But I believe that he will be here very soon.”

Sure enough, someone else showed up.

It was not Lin TaiPing who came; it was actually Hong NiangZi, Guo DaLu, and Yan Qi. When they entered, Wang Dong was no longer inside the tent. From the expressions on their faces, it was apparent that they were just as astonished as Wang Dong had been a moment ago – nobody, regardless of whom it was, would have imagined that Terrestrial Dragon King was such a person.

Their purpose for coming was the same as Wang Dong’s because they had the same feelings and confidence in their friend.

“Confidence” is indeed a very amazing thing. It seems as if it forever will not disappoint – friendship is also the same.

Lin TaiPing did not disappoint them.

Terrestrial Dragon King leaned sideways on his soft, tiger-skin bed and stared at Lin TaiPing. This was his biological son, his only son. It had been nearly fifteen years since he had last seen him. But when he looked upon him, it was no different than when he was looking at Wang Dong.

A long time went by before he stretched out his arm and pointed at the wolf-skin cushion that Wang Dong had sat on a little while ago. “Sit.”

Lin TaiPing did not sit. His body had grown stiff – cold and stiff – but his eyes seemed to have moistened. He was facing his father, the father he had not seen in fifteen years. It was already not an easy thing that his tears had not fallen yet.

Terrestrial Dragon King’s face was still void of expression, but it seemed as if a few wrinkles had suddenly formed at the corners of his eyes. At long last, he exhaled a sigh and said, “You have grown-up, and it appears that you very much have a mind of your own.”

Lin TaiPing’s lips were tightly closed.

Terrestrial Dragon King: “If you are not willing to speak, why did you come?”

Lin TaiPing was quiet for another long moment before he responded, “I know you have never liked listening to useless words.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “Yes.”

Lin TaiPing: “Is it a must that the entire Yu family is completely exterminated?”

Lin TaiPing: “There is only one person left from the Yu family now.”

Lin TaiPing’s hands were balled tightly into fists, and he spoke each word clearly: “If you kill her, then I must kill one person from the Lin family as well.”

His face hardening, Terrestrial Dragon King asked, “Who do you want to kill?’

Lin TaiPing: “Myself.”

As Terrestrial Dragon King stared intently at him, the lines by the corner of his grew deeper. This was his son – the bone of his bone, the blood of his blood. The blood that flowed in this young man’s body was the same blood as his own, just as stubborn, just as proud. Nobody could change this fact; even he, himself, could not. Heaving a deep sigh, Terrestrial Dragon King told him, “You should know that the words spoken by members of the Lin family can never be amended.”

“I know. That is why I would say that.” He suddenly added, “I also know that there is no grudge or hatred between you and her, and she has never even seen you before.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “And who is she to you? Why is it that you insist she must continue living?”

Lin TaiPing: “Because only if she lives can I continue living.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “The feelings between the two of you are so deep already?”

Biting down on his own lip, Lin TaiPing answered, “At first, I did not know either…”

Terrestrial Dragon King cut off his words as he asked, “When did you know?”

Lin TaiPing: “When you wanted to kill her – will you truly be happy after you have killed her?”

Terrestrial Dragon King was silent.

Lin TaiPing: “You are not certain yourself, right? But I can guarantee that after you have killed her, you will be even unhappier than before you had killed her.”

Terrestrial Dragon King’s face grew became stony. “You really are willing to die for her?”

Lin TaiPing: “Dying is not easy but neither is it a very difficult thing to do.”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “What about her? Is she willing to do the same thing for you?”

Lin TaiPing was quiet.

Terrestrial Dragon King: “You are not sure yourself either, yes?”

Lin TaiPing said slowly, “Maybe it is because the people in her family do not want to kill me and did not take the grudges of the previous generation and place it on the shoulders of us, the next generation.”

There was a glint in Terrestrial Dragon King’s eyes as he suddenly gave in, “Fine. I will agree to what you say, but I have one condition.”

Lin TaiPing: “What sort of condition?”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “If she is willing to sacrifice herself for you, then that will prove that the feelings between the two of you are deep enough, and I will let her go.”

Lin TaiPing: “Otherwise?”

In a chilly voice, Terrestrial Dragon King answered, “Otherwise you should know then that she is not worth you dying for her.”

Lin TaiPing clenched his fists together even tighter. “Are you making a bet with me? Using her life as a wager?”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “At least the bet is very fair because win or lose, it is herself that decides it.”

Lin TaiPing: “How will I know it is fair?”

Terrestrial Dragon King: “I guarantee that you will be able to watch everything, but you must promise me something also.”

Lin TaiPing was listening.

Terrestrial Dragon King: “Before victory and defeat has been decided, you are not allowed to interfere – no one, no matter who it is, is allowed to interfere.” With a stare like a blade’s edge, he spoke each word clearly: “Otherwise, you will be considered to have lost this bet.”
    一杯酒,一個朋友!
    --离歌笑

In TSATE (Ming Jian Feng Liu), there's a dragon king from Taihu, in cohort with the fake Yu FangHe with the surname of Wang.

There's also a Heavenly King Li.

There's also a son of the Divine Dragon Swordsmen with the surname of Tian that fought with YPY.

At first, i thought that given the girl was surname Yu that there's some connection between this novel and that of TSATE but alas.

Han Solo
    Wuxiapedia

Quote Originally Posted by bliss
    I think they're probably at the same level as or one level below Ah Qing, which is about the level of a 2nd or 3rd generation Quan Zhen disciple.
    Troll Control