+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Out of Time and Space by Xi Juan

Default Out of Time and Space by Xi Juan

Somebody requested this on the forums, so I decided to take a crack at it. This is my first attempt at translating anything like this, so any feedback is appreciated. I've only done the prologue so far but if there's interest I'll keep going.

Original Chinese text is here: http://xijuan.net/xijuan/1-1/001.htm

Cover Page:

Out of Time and Space
    by Xi Juan

A lively, lovely girl, she crossed time and space with a dreamy look to be his bride, and touched his cold, lonely heart. Spanning a thousand years’ distance, their love would pierce each others’ hearts…

Edit: Thanks for all the encouragement, everybody! I've made a google docs folder for this translation so anybody who wants to read it doesn't have to dig through forum posts to find each chapter. Just message me and I'll add you to it!

Edit 2: Apparently the link to the text redirects to xijuan.com, which is not a real website. If you want to see the original text, just copy-paste or click and replace ".com" with ".net" in the URL. If anyone can tell me why this happens, please message me.
    Last edited by Shi Si-yuan; 08-04-14 at 12:24 PM.

Default Prologue

Prologue
    “Mom, you can’t do this! If you make me go into the past, you’ll be blackballed from the community of sorcerers and lose all the abilities you have now!” came a weak voice from a tai chi patterned soul ring, begging her mother to back down from this terrible idea.

The person wearing the ring was a graceful, beautiful woman, about 40 years old, dressed in a black priestess’s oufit. As a top-ranking member of the magical community, she had unique powers to manipulate nature- when she meditated, her soul could escape and wander freely across time and space. But she understood that she must leave no trace behind in the times she visited and she must never change anything- history must be left intact.

Zhu Lirong was very skilled, but she could only go to the past, never the future. She had seen things as ancient as the building of the Great Wall, books being burned on Qin Shi Huang’s orders, and the so-called Tang dynasty, and as recent as the 8-year war and the Nanjing Massacre. Great events in history are more sad than joyful. Civilian lives were worthless under the hegemony of the dynasties that came and went. She never stayed long in any age, as she would be able to do nothing but watch wide-eyed each time the tragedies of history were repeatedly staged before her. Han, Qin, Warring States, Ming, Qing- had every dynasty brought about its rise by killing? The cycle of nations was always the same: they founded, flourished, and decayed- bandits grew numerous and wanton, then the burning and looting began… when she was only 20 years old, after the first time she traveled, she had vowed never to share this ability with anyone, wanting no one else to go into history and see so many people in living in misery right in front of them.

But now, for her daughter’s sake, she would not only return to the past, but violate a terrible taboo of the supernatural community. After today, all of her supernatural abilities would be gone, and she would be nothing more than an ordinary woman. She would be put on trial and expelled from the community anyway. As long as her daughter would stay sane, as long as her daughter had a chance to live again, she did not care if she lost everything!

3 days before. Her daughter, Yang Yi Liu, was killed in a car accident while trying to rescue an old woman. But Zhu Lirong decided that her life should not end there. The dead girl’s soul would be floating in space, chaotic, unknown, unconscious- a mere wisp of gossamer. She could not allow this fate to befall her daughter. But the ring could only hold a soul for seven days, and once those had passed her daughter would be beyond help- she must revive her daughter now. It would not be easy. Of course, finding bodies was simple, but not just any would do. The magnetic field of the target would have to be the same as her daughter’s, and the wavelength and current would have to be consistent between the two bodies.

She had no choice but to extrapolate from one of her daughter’s past lives. Yang Yi Liu had four previous lives, in the early Republic period, the Song dynasty, the Eastern Han dynasty, as well as one existence in a fledgeling life-form in an unexplored part of time and space. The body she chose must also have died accidentally. One who died of old age would be useless, as would a murder victim or someone who had died in an inhumane manner or worse, god forbid. Fortunately, her Song-era life had been sunny years, when youth had flowered! She had also been of a similar age to Yi Liu. She told her daughter, but the girl was firmly opposed.

“Liu Liu, your mama has decided, she doesn’t care if she loses everything. All that matters is that you can go on living,” Zhu Lirong spoke firmly into the ring.

“But mama, is it enough just to be alive? Living in ancient times, living with no sense of identity, living someone else’s life. Someone who will eventually die anyway- what difference do a few more decades make? Besides, I died early in this age too.” Of course, Yang Yi Liu wanted to live longer. But going back to ancient times- that was ridiculous! How could a 20-year-old woman, raised in the 20th century, even begin to imagine how to live back then? There were no cars, no electric lights, and, even more frightening, women of the Song dynasty had approximately the same value as furniture- purely ornamental, not regarded as independent beings with lives worthy of respect. She might as well just die if that was the only alternative!

“Don’t blame me just because you’re too crazy and stubborn, Liu Liu- I’ll send you to that ancient time and you’ll be fine! Though we will be in different places, we will remain synchronized across time and space!” She would not change her mind, no matter what her daughter said.

“But we can’t change history!” Yi Liu continued earnestly pressing her mother.

“Don’t worry- it’s okay to change things just a little, as long as you don’t affect what’s in the history books. All that was written in those days was the stories of kings and their relatives. You are free to alter the destiny of this one insignificant woman. Once you go back into history, you will find that the most exciting things in history are not those kings, ministers, and officials, but the lives of ordinary people. They had to look out for themselves, Liu Liu.”

Zhu Lirong crossed her legs, clasped her hands, and chanted softly: “Come with me, Liu Liu, into time! You will awaken in the past, girl of 18 years… your new life begins now…” as Zhu Lirong murmured her spells, Yi Liu began to lose consciousness, her soul becoming a puff of smoke, wafting from the ring, drawn by a ray of white light into a colorful whirlpool, and at last her mind grew dark...
    Last edited by Shi Si-yuan; 05-09-14 at 02:52 AM. Reason: formatting

Looks very very interesting!
    Thanks - first post and already a translation on the way!

edit - thanks for formatting the piece - eyes were going askew...

Nice flow of English. Simple straight and to the point. Thank you.

Sounds like a mix of xianxia, wuxia and time travel genres.

seems to be the in-thing nowadays...

btw - how many chapters are there?
    Edit: I checked the chinese version - 12 sections++

[another scarlet heart Bu Bu Jing Xin?]
    Last edited by ycb5959; 05-09-14 at 05:17 AM.

Looks promising guys. Go for it, Shi Si-yuan!

Cool, keep it up. 加油!
    My translations:

1) 7 Killers by Gu Long. Complete.
    2) Heroes Shed No Tears by Gu Long. Complete.
    3) Kung Fu by Giddens Ko. Work in Progress

I agree, looks very interesting.

story looks really interesting...keep up the good work
    :-D
    Check out WXFS translated comic of Tian Long Ba Bu
    Last updated: 02/04/2008

Definitely interesting! keep it up

Await for other lines story ,
    Thanks Shi Si-yuan