Page 5 of 37 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: A Happy Hero

Thanks, TigerWong, for the great translation. Happy Hero reminds me a little of the friendships in LXF, in a surreal way.
    "And the Bastard grant us, in our direst need, the smallest gifts: the nail of the horseshoe, the pin of the axle, the feather at the pivot point, the pebble at the mountain's peak, the kiss in despair, the one right word. In darkness, understanding." -- Paladin of Souls by Lois McMaster Bujold.

Just want to bring this thread up, in case tigerwong forgot about it.

Ditto.

*bump*

hi, has this story been made into a tv adaptation?

It's almost been a year, and the update isn't even coming. I hope this won't be another abandoned project.

Talking

I have read this book, and keep reading it for almost 4 times. The trademarks of Gu Long which is unique friendship between heroes vs enemies and or heroes and his friends are become the strength of this book.

Now I am reading it for the five times after I read this translation, it is a very good translation from Tiger Wong.

Anyway I read it from the book translated into Bahasa.

This book also the funniest book - more comedy among the Gu Long books.

There is a conversation between Guo and Yan, they were discussing about how the martial art heroes in the wuxia novels could survive in the world without the writer explained how the heroes make money for living.....this conversation i kill myself laughing. How come the heroes created by the writer made such conversation about the writer in their books...now im confusing .....

Looking forward for the translation Tiger.

Question

Anyway I read it from the book translated into Bahasa
    May I know is it Bahasa Melayu or Bahasa Indonesia.

If it is in Bahasa Melayu can u tell me the title of the book and where can i get It??

Thankx Alot

May I know is it Bahasa Melayu or Bahasa Indonesia
    It's in Bahasa Indonesia. The title is Pendekar Riang

Originally posted by Alucard
    It's in Bahasa Indonesia. The title is Pendekar Riang
    Care to share where can I get this book from? in Jakarta hopefully. Is it in big book stores?
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

Originally posted by eeyore
    Care to share where can I get this book from? in Jakarta hopefully. Is it in big book stores?
    Hey eeyore, if you can get the book in Jakarta, feel free to send one copy to me

Originally posted by rabadi
    Hey eeyore, if you can get the book in Jakarta, feel free to send one copy to me
    In Bahasa Indonesia is translated as a Pendekar Riang, translated by Tjan Ing Djoe ( Tjan ID ), He translated almost about more then 10 Gu Long books, in 70-80's period. His works are still available in the market.

In Jakarta/Indonesia the books with this kind of genre are classified as a "fosil", so only the maniac of wuxia and the collector are still hunting and reading for this kind of books.

Problem with copy, is that the books is in the small size format about 25-30cm x 20cm, and total about more then 500 pages.

You can not find it in the bookstore, but in the library in the small remote place area. They dont sell the book, you can only rent and copy at home.

But as a collector then you will try everything you can to have it.

If I'm not mistaken,
    you can buy this book in TB SAN, Globe Plaza, 1st floor across Pustaka Jaya, Jl. Samanhudi, near Metro Pasar Baru Bridge,
    021-3501630

Originally posted by Alucard
    If I'm not mistaken,
    you can buy this book in TB SAN, Globe Plaza, 1st floor across Pustaka Jaya, Jl. Samanhudi, near Metro Pasar Baru Bridge,
    021-3501630
    Kewl Banana. thanks Alucard.
    Spring Summer Autumn Winter.
    Pair ducks nest fly together.
    Clemencies. Summer life, feather winter white.
    Green meadow in spring, before the autumn bite.
    Watching the red gown.
    And none else, alone.

is there a vietnamese translation of this novel online? pretty please?
    if you have the time and enthusiasm, please join in on the new and fabulous wuxia rpg fic /rpg discussion. (<--- click here)

Default French translation

Strange but true:

Gu Long. 1999. Les Quartre Brigands du Huabei. Translation by Christine Corniot of Huanle Yingxiong (”Happy Hero,” 1971). Arles: Picquier Poche.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by fulim1410
    May I know is it Bahasa Melayu or Bahasa Indonesia.

If it is in Bahasa Melayu can u tell me the title of the book and where can i get It??

Thankx Alot
    I try once try to read a BI translation of wuxia novel at indonesia.spcnet and its very inconprehensible - considering the similarity of BM and BI

and then the character name not in pinyin which make it more confusing as most of us already use to reading in pinyin name at spcnet.tv at least if you can count out Ken

and if the book was translated in the 70s, so good luck for any malaysian to understand them - lol

However I once succesfully read famous indonesian novel by Hamka titled Tenggelamnya Kapal Van Der Widjk - strangely I easily understand and enjoy them
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 09-17-04 at 06:39 AM.

The courtyard in the back was somewhat smaller then the one in the front, and planted full of bamboo. In the past, whenever there was a clear summer night, the owner would lie down in there, and listen to the ocean wave like sounds of the rustling bamboo.

Therefore this place was similar to other courtyards with a lot of bamboo, and called a “bamboo listening yard”. And that row of five alcoves were called “bamboo listening porches”.

However when Wang Dong became owner, they changed to another name, and were called “porches with bamboo but no meat”. Because he felt that although the name “bamboo listening” was originally quite elegant, it had now changed into something very vulgar.

He believed that although the first person to name a yard “bamboo listening” must have been a very refined and clever person, the 80th to use the term “bamboo listening” for his yard was an incurably vulgar dummy.

Now not only was this yard “meatless”, even the bamboo had nearly all been chopped down.

Bamboo could be used for hanging clothes out to dry, and also be used to setup tents, so Wang Dong would frequently take the bamboo and trade it for meat. When a person’s belly gets hungry, he would frequently forget the meaning of elegance.

Sour Plum Soup, Flying Leopard, and the rest of them lived there the night before. But now the people, the dogs, and the monkey have all vanished. Only Guo DaLu and Lin TaiPing remained standing there staring blankly.

There was a box placed beside their feet, a brand new box.

Wang Dong: “Your guests departed without saying a word?”.

Guo DaLu nodded.

Yan Qi coldly said: “If they left, they left. No need to make such a commotion and startle everyone for no reason.”.

Guo DaLu didn’t say anything, and handed over the piece of paper he was holding.

On the strip of paper were a few words written in charcoal: “Five boxes containing our rent.. respectfully request that you accept.. may we meet again.”.

Yan Qi: “One should pay rent when he stays at a place, this also isn’t anything strange.”.

Guo DaLu sighed: “Although it isn’t really strange, it’s just a bit too much.”.

Wang Dong: “What is in the box?”.

Guo DaLu: “Nothing much, just several boxes of stinky coppery things.”.

If you said that money emitted a coppery stench, then the items in these five boxes were enough to suffocate 38,000 people.

The other four boxes didn’t contain anything else, only precious coins. There were coins of every kind, the smallest ones weighing at least tens of ounces, even if they didn’t offend you to death with their smell, they’d probably crush you.

The remaining box was full of gems, all types of precious gems. Rare pearls, jade, agate, and even a few gemstones whose names don’t spring to mind.

No matter which box you were talking about, it was enough to buy up Wealthy Manor.

Wang Dong and Yan Qi were stunned.

After a long moment, Yan Qi let out a deep breath: “When they arrived yesterday evening, they didn’t bring these five boxes.”.

Guo DaLu: “Nope.”.

Lin TaiPing: “Then where did these boxes come from?”.

Yan Qi said coldly: “If they weren’t taken by force from someone, they must have been stolen in secret.”.

Guo DaLu: “These coins are stamped differently on the back.”.

Yan Qi: “Of course they’re different, nobody would store so many coins in their homes. They must have been taken from many different households.”.

Wang Dong sighed: “To be able to rob so many homes in one night, you’d surely need to have a lot of ability.”.

Yan Qi: “That isn't strange, master thieves are able to scope a thousand households in a day and rob a hundred at night.”.

Guo DaLu: “They worked so hard to steal these things, and still gave them to us. A thief like that would be very rare in this world.”.

Yan Qi: “Maybe they’re trying to frame us.”.

Guo DaLu: “Frame us? Why frame us? We don’t have any enmity with her.”.

Yan Qi: “You think she’s really fallen for you, and delivered these boxes here as a wedding dowry?".

Lin TaiPing: “None of these things are relevant, the question is what should we do with these five boxes?”.

Guo DaLu: “What should we do? Since they’ve given them to us, of course we should take them.”.

Yan Qi sighed: “This person has a really great ability, no matter how tangled the affair may be, once he begins to speak it changes into a simple matter.”.

Guo DaLu: “This matter was originally very simple.”.

Wang Dong: “Not simple.”.

Guo DaLu: “What part isn’t simple?”.

Wang Dong: “They definitely wouldn’t give us so much treasure for no reason, there has to be a motive.”.

Yan Qi: “And also, since they might be stolen, if we keep them then wouldn’t we become thieves as well?”.

Wang Dong: “Anything can be done, but thievery is one thing we must not fall into. Once you begin to steal, once you get a taste of it, you won’t want to do anything else and will steal for the rest of your life.”.

Yan Qi: “And even your children will steal. Old thieves give birth to big thieves, big thieves give birth to little thieves.”.

Guo DaLu laughed: “You don’t need to dissuade me, although I’ve stolen once, it wasn’t a pleasant taste and I compensated for it with my last remaining sword.”.

Wang Dong: “Stealing requires knowledge, not everyone can do it.”.

Lin TaiPing: “I think our best choice is to take these things and return them.”.

Guo DaLu: “Who do we give it to? Who knows who these things belong to?”.

Yan Qi: “If we don’t know, we can investigate?”.

Guo DaLu: “Where do we go investigate?”.

Yan Qi: “Down the mountain. Since these things were all brought here last night by them, I’d imagine they brought it up from below.”.

Guo DaLu glanced at the box of valuables and sighed: “You didn’t speak wrongly, the place certainly wouldn’t be in a poor area...... any place that contains this much gold wouldn’t be poor.”.

Suddenly he laughed: “Therefore this Wealthy Manor, at least for today, is really worthy of it’s namesake.”.

Although Wealthy Manor became worthy of it’s name for a short while, they were still happy.

Because they had come to a very intelligent decision.

Perhaps its because this was the closest they’ve been to such riches, but they were not greedy, covetous, mean, or try to find a sneaky way to take the money. So they remain merry, like a flower bathed in the spring sunlight.

They knew that happiness was much more lovable then wealth.

End of Chapter 2

Talking

Thank you tiger for updating this translation. i've been waiting for so long. Gong Xi Fa Chai

Finally..... TIGER WONG is back with a translation...yay
    Last edited by fulim1410; 02-04-05 at 07:22 AM.