Thread: Creator of 9 yin

Default Creator of 9 yin

I noe the creator of 9 yin is 1 guy called huang song(some sort)....so may i know which book did he appeared in?i know he is only being mentioned as a past story,which chapter is it in?how did they mention him?i am v curious

Quote Originally Posted by freak
    I noe the creator of 9 yin is 1 guy called huang song(some sort)....so may i know which book did he appeared in?i know he is only being mentioned as a past story,which chapter is it in?how did they mention him?i am v curious
    Wong Seung never appeared as an actual character, but his story was told in LEGEND OF THE CONDOR HEROES when Chow Bak Tung explained to Gwok Jing the origins of the 9 Yum Jen Ging not long after they first met and became sworn brothers on Peach Blossom Island.

any more background info on him??

Wong Seung was a scholar/official in the court of the Sung Emperor during the period between DEMIGODS & SEMIDEVILS and LEGEND OF THE CONDOR HEROES. There were thousands of loose scrolls lying around the imperial palace that had information on Taoist philosophy, medicine, chi cultivation, etc. The emperor ordered Wong Seung to compile these into an index. During the compilation process, Wong Seung learned a great deal about these disciplines, and this knowledge helped him to develop great power and skill in the martial arts (which Wong Seung did not practice prior to taking on this compilation project).

Sometime later, the emperor ordered Wong Seung to lead the Sung army against the Ming Cult. The Ming Cult was a Manichaeist religious order that originated in Persia and had taken root in Central Asia and western China. The Sung Emperor considered the Ming Cult a nuisance, and wanted them eradicated.

Wong Seung fought a number of the Ming Cult's most powerful martial artists in one-on-one battles. He killed a number of them, but was seriously wounded himself. Later, surviving members of the Ming Cult murdered Wong Seung's entire family to avenge the colleagues whom Wong Seung had killed. An enraged Wong Seung swore vengeance on the Ming Cult. He spent the next forty years of his life using the knowledge he had gained from compiling the emperor's index to create a martial arts system capable of defeating all of the Ming Cult's martial arts (or at least, the ones he encountered). The fruit of his labors was the martial arts manual that came to be known as the 9 Yum Jen Ging.

Unfortunately, by the time Wong Seung had completed the 9 Yum Jen Ging, his old enemies were all dead. How the manual eventually became the subject of the First Mt. Hua Sword Tournament (and where it had been in the intervening years) remains a mystery.

Here's some additional info on the subject written by Laviathan

During the reign of Emperor Huizong, all Taoist manuscripts throughout the Empire were gathered by royal edict. The number of texts consisted of 5481 scrolls, and Emperor Huizong ordered Huang Shang to supervise the printing of the compilation of the Taoist Canon, the Zhenghe wanshou daozang. Huang Shang therefore had to read the entire canon in order to check misprinted characters, and after a few years he completely understood the Taoist way of martial arts and became an accomplished fighter. The Taoist Canon was printed in the period of 1116-1117.

Historically, the Manichaeist Ming Cult used Huang Shang's name to print their own religious texts. This was mentioned as a side-note in LOCH by Jin Yong. Anyway, the Taoist Emperor Huizong ordered Huang Shang to destroy the heretic Ming Cult. The Song army was defeated by the Ming Cultists, and the enraged Huang Shang challenged the Ming Cult martial arts experts to duel. Huang Shang then killed several Guardian Lords and Ming Heralds.

However, many of those who were killed by Huang Shang were originally members of great martial arts clans and their relatives and friends went to Huang Shang for revenge. Greatly outnumbered, Huang Shang was wounded and fled. These martial artists then killed Huang Shang's entire family.

Huang Shang then hid himself in the mountains and analysed all the techniques of his opponents, in order to find ways to counter them. His enemies were great in number and all came from different fighting schools, so Huang Shang must develop a martial art to surpass all thse styles. After more than 40 years, Huang Shang finally reached a stage in which he could singlehandedly defeat all his enemies together, and he re-appeared out of seclusion. Yet, all of his enemies had passed away except for an old lady who was still a teenage girl when Huang Shang first met her. This old lady was very ill and dying, and Huang Shang realised that vengeance was futile. (In the Third Edition, Huang Shang cared for the old lady untill she passed away)

Before his death, Huang Shang wanted to leave his martial arts (which was said to be able to counter all known martial arts styles of his era) for later generations and wrote two volumes which became known as the Book of Nine Yin.

The Art of Nine Yin, therefore, was not intended to fight the Ming Cult, but was meant to defeat all the martial arts schools that Huang Shang had encountered.

all this info is from the novel??

erm 2 volumes????
    By the way,as i only watch the tv adaptions of hsds, why is zzr's gongfu not tt strong?i remembered the yellow gal told her wat went wrong right???

Quote Originally Posted by freak
    erm 2 volumes????
    By the way,as i only watch the tv adaptions of hsds, why is zzr's gongfu not tt strong?i remembered the yellow gal told her wat went wrong right???
    Yes, two volumes...one of which was dedicated mainly to fighting techniques and one of which was dedicated to the development of inner power.

Chow Chi Yerk did not have enough time to properly practice the 9 Yum Jen Ging. She used the abridged, "shortcut" version that Wong Yung developed for emergency use. This shortcut can give users a quick boost, but it won't get them to Greats level.

and the 'shortcut' version is a summary of both manuals or only 1??
    TaZzY InC

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy1972
    and the 'shortcut' version is a summary of both manuals or only 1??
    I don't think that was specified. What the shortcut had was quick, easy-to-learn techniques that were so unorthodox and vicious that most fighters would have a difficult time countering them. Greats-level fighters like Cheung 3 Fung and Cheung Mo Gei, however, would not be threatened by the shortcut version of the 9 Yum Jen Ging.

so in other words the shortcut version was nothing like the original?
    TaZzY InC

Most of the adaptations around however very often give us wrong impressions that ZZR became so powerful, she was a big threat for ZWJ after learning the shortcut version of 9 Yin in a hurry. I think this is one of the most common incorrect impressions in Jin Yong's adaptations.

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy1972
    so in other words the shortcut version was nothing like the original?
    Yep, not even close. Chow Chi Yerk's actual martial arts level after having learned the 9 Yum White Bone Claws from the shortcut was about equal to that of one of the Mo Dong Heroes. In fact, if they were ready for her, it's likely that either Sung Yeun Kiu (Mo Dong Hero # 1) or Yu Lin Chou (Mo Dong Hero # 2) could defeat Chow Chi Yerk (although it would be a good, tough fight). In a real fight, Chow Chi Yerk would have no chance against Cheung 3 Fung or Cheung Mo Gei; CMG let CCY win because he felt guilty over abandoning her at the altar, and because he thought she'd spare Tse Tsun.

and see wat she did to him
    TaZzY InC

How was it possible that ZZR could start learning 9Yin so quickly when she was still poisoned by the 10 fragrant powder? 9Yin involves inner power and 10 fragrant prevents the use of your inner power.

Also does ZZR ever reveal the origins of her new found skills / secret of the sword and sabre to her seniors?
    Last edited by Zhuge Liang; 09-29-04 at 08:33 PM.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time