Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: LoTR: RoTK (extended) on DVD

Quote Originally Posted by douggilmour
    Being the second highest grossing film of all time? Oh Oh ..Oops...lol....I just read ur post again, u r talking about the last 20 minutes. Well, I guess it's down to taste then; To me, the whole Hobbit on Hobbit scenes were a big payoff to all the longing stares (especially Sam and Frodo), sexual inuendo in the 2 earlier movies!
    Yep - It was just that last 20 mins I was talking about... Maybe I just had some sort of grip against it as I was one of those in attendance at a packed cinema in Sydney...

Sitting there for the extended Fellowship, then extended Two Towers, and then the encore with ROTK. By the time it was to wind up it was like 6am or 7am in the morning... After the emotional ride, I expected the movie to finish off with a bang knowing that Peter Jackson wasn't going to do the wrecking of the Shire. Or at worst an epilogue to finish... What I didn't expect was slow motion hugging sequence at the hospital bed when Frodo was recovering, and then to see it a second time on the shore... All too boring for me at the end... Especially when I was like saying, "Please I just want to go home now...".

I was also one of the ones who was standing up ready to clap the ending like the rest of the people were when Arrogon bowed to Frodo and Frodo smiles.. Who could of guessed that it was not to end there when the camera was pulling away, to our bitter disappointment... That's when we all sat down, and to me that was really a defining moment of my cinema expierence with LOTR... It was a kinda of big let down in some way...
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Quote Originally Posted by Long
    As I previously stated, I think George Lucas did not give enough layers to his prequel movies, including the character of Anakin Skywalker. For me, I think Anakin Skywalker would have worked much better if he was one of those Miu Kiu Wai, type of villians... The the lovable person who turns evil, but there's always a hint that he'll be able to turn back and be good...
    I think Lucas did try to do exactly that, just not quite convincingly. Anakin was indeed someone good... as a kid, but who cares about a kid? He should have started the story of Anakin Skywalker as a young adult and being torned between good and evil. Alas, what we got instead was as soon as Anakin reached puberty, he's a whiny arrogant brat. You can't feel any sympathy for such a character.

A lot of thought went into the original Star Wars trilogy, I'm not sure if the same thought went into the prequels... But technology can make you lazy sometimes...
    That's so true. I bet that the effort REQUIRED was nowhere near that of the effort made for the OT. I'm sure that Lucas put as much effort as possible with the latest CGI technics. The problem is CGI is not necessarely better than models, puppets, etc.

That's why I praised Peter Jackson for going into so much effort in his set designs and costumes. True he used a lot of special effects, but a lot of the stuff was made from the ground, pretty much how George Lucas went into the detail in the orginal Star Wars trilogy...

In fact if you read Peter Jackson's comments, he said that when he initially wanted to film LORT he had in mind the effort and attention to detail that George Lucas went in the ORIGINAL Star Wars, and interviews he emphasises that with a smile... He said he would not do JRR Tolkien justice if he did not drill down to the level of attention of detail that Geroge did in the ORIGINAL Star Wars...
    There is no doubt that the details in LOTR were minute and the result is very satisfying to the eyes. What I liked about the LOTR was the balance between organic and CGI. It's just that that's not enough for me to like it. I needed something more engaging and it wasn't there. It's just not my cup of tea.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Quote Originally Posted by Tei
    Here's a list of what will be covered on the extended DVD footage (from the ROTK EE panel on Comic. Con. Report):

The Houses of Healing (yes!) including the start of Faramir and Eowyn's relationship
    Aragorn and the Palantir
    Saruman's final confrontation with the Fellowship
    A scene between Saruman and Grima Wormtongue
    The Mouth of Sauron (yes!) and the revelation of the mithril shirt
    Gandalf's confrontation with the Witch King and his fell beast
    Pippin and Faramir talk about how Pippin's armor and uniform were Faramir's boyhood armor
    Big ending to the Paths of the Dead scene, where the whole edifice crumbled and an avalanche of skulls chases our trio out of the Paths
    Yay!!! so many good scenes....

Pippin's search for Merry's body on the battlefield, which takes a whole day. It's night before he finds him, and everyone else has given up and gone back to Minas Tirith, but Pippin continues to search and finally does find him
    this is one of my fav. scenes in the book!!
    YAY!!!! I'm so pleased to know that this scenes will be shown...
    we have seen how loyal Sam, Pippin and Merry are to Frodo and Frod to them..
    I think this scenes shows the real relation between Merry and Pipipn.. I think this was such a touching scene and I must admidt that I'm SO happy that this scenes is going to be shown.

Keep in mind though: above post is incomplete. More additions might be added, but those are the confirmed extensions so far.
    hihihi I hope there will be more.....hihihi
    I've been touch by an angel
    I've been bless by the power of Sioben
    I can hardly believe you're that short!!

Sioben: 'ohh....shut up'

Here's a list of what will be covered on the extended DVD footage (from the ROTK EE panel on Comic. Con. Report):

The Houses of Healing (yes!) including the start of Faramir and Eowyn's relationship
    Aragorn and the Palantir
    Saruman's final confrontation with the Fellowship
    A scene between Saruman and Grima Wormtongue
    The Mouth of Sauron (yes!) and the revelation of the mithril shirt
    Gandalf's confrontation with the Witch King and his fell beast
    Pippin and Faramir talk about how Pippin's armor and uniform were Faramir's boyhood armor
    Big ending to the Paths of the Dead scene, where the whole edifice crumbled and an avalanche of skulls chases our trio out of the Paths
    Pippin's search for Merry's body on the battlefield, which takes a whole day. It's night before he finds him, and everyone else has given up and gone back to Minas Tirith, but Pippin continues to search and finally does find him
    I have never read LOTR novel, so can anyone please tell me what are this scenes about??
    Wrecking of the Shire, so what happened to the Shire. Thx
    Les Arts Martiaux!
    "En Garde","Fleche Enflammee"!!

After the war, the four hobbits went back to Shire, only to find out that it has been taken over by Saruman and Grima Wormtongue. The four fought back, the baddies died (not necessarily murdered by the heroes, mind you).

Scourge of Shire.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Yeeee Haaaaaaa!

Have just bought and watched the 4 hour version of Return of the King. It makes much more sense and is truer to the novel with the scenes put back in.

Loved seeing Suaraman get knifed. Some comedy scences between Gimli and Legolas including a drinking contest.

If you want to see the house of healing scene, you'll be disappointed. All Framair get to do is wink and hold hands, in a 30 second sequence.

Gandalf loses against the Witch King?? That wasn't in the novel, he fought with the witch King and drove him back I thought....

The rest is dedicated to fill ins from the novel. The docos a great.

Despite all this the ending, though no new scenes were added, still seems too bloody long even in the 4 hour version....

Yeeee Haaaaaaa!

Have just bought and watched the 4 hour version of Return of the King. It makes much more sense and is truer to the novel with the scenes put back in.

Loved seeing Suaraman get knifed. Some comedy scences between Gimli and Legolas including a drinking contest.

If you want to see the house of healing scene, you'll be disappointed. All Framair get to do is wink and hold hands, in a 30 second sequence.

Gandalf loses against the Witch King?? That wasn't in the novel, he fought with the witch King and drove him back I thought....

The rest is dedicated to fill ins from the novel. The docos a great.

Despite all this the ending, though no new scenes were added, still seems too bloody long even in the 4 hour version....

Hmmm......where do you live? In Canada, North America, it's next week, December 14, 2004.

Strange. I'm in Australia and it came out like yesterday 9 December 2004. The 4 disc DVD and the 5 disc versions are available here. The 5th disc just contains the orginial release.

I would have thought it would come out in the USA first.

It't out already ?

I though they're gonna release it aroung 18 Dec ,like the movies.and closer to chrismas

hmm gotta go check the stores today....

it's already out in Denmark... (actually today... December 10)
    I'm going to buy it today after work...

NOOO!!.... I was looking forward to this scenes.......

I just hope that the scene where Pippin is looking for Merry on the battlefield is great....

Anyway... can't wait to see the movie...

okay...
    just finish watching it....

I found it great...so many good scenes
    however ( of course) there were a few scenes I wish they could have given more screentime (such as "house of healing" and "the captain and the white maiden" )

but otherwise I love it!!
    going to see it again

anyway......

MERRY X-mas to everyone in SPCNET

Please tell me more about the house of healing scenes. I am dying to know more. Thank you. I am temped to buy this..even though I have full set of the triology.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yon
    Please tell me more about the house of healing scenes. I am dying to know more. Thank you. I am temped to buy this..even though I have full set of the triology.
    THere's a scence where the Shield Maiden after recovering from her injuries looks towards the window, and sees Faramir standing next to the window. He smiles back at her.

Then there's a sort clip with accompanying music were Faramir and the Shield Maiden walks in the garden. They say a few words to each other and hold hands and look out of the window. End of House of healing scene.

I found the accompanying cast comment from David, the dude who played Faramir very funny. He said during that scene, "Hmm.... If Faramir was really a good guy as he's supposed to be... Shouldn't he be out there fighting with Arragon and the others and not staying behind to pick up a the hot chick from Rohan?? Oh well....". I laughed after that....

I actually liked Faramir! He is Hot!

I am sooooo happy for faramir and shield maiden making out though.

I think Peter Jackson should have made the 4th one.. i mean devide the "return of the king" in 2 parts. *sigh*... I guess I am asking for impossible. If there was long TV series with all the original casts in, I am the first one in the line to buy all the DVD sets... LOL..

Yes, Eowyn and Faramir is actually my favourite pair. I can't get over the fact that so many people (males) go ga-ga over the elven princess instead.

And yeah, I agree with Long about the too-long-an-ending too. It would have worked better with an epilogue as how they had a prologue for FoTR. It would have closed it up nicely. When there's a prologue, there has to be an epilogue.
    "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you want."

THere's a scence where the Shield Maiden after recovering from her injuries looks towards the window, and sees Faramir standing next to the window. He smiles back at her.

Then there's a sort clip with accompanying music were Faramir and the Shield Maiden walks in the garden. They say a few words to each other and hold hands and look out of the window. End of House of healing scene.

I found the accompanying cast comment from David, the dude who played Faramir very funny. He said during that scene, "Hmm.... If Faramir was really a good guy as he's supposed to be... Shouldn't he be out there fighting with Arragon and the others and not staying behind to pick up a the hot chick from Rohan?? Oh well....". I laughed after that....
    lol... me too...David Wenham is a funny man

Quote Originally Posted by 2socks
    Yes, Eowyn and Faramir is actually my favourite pair. I can't get over the fact that so many people (males) go ga-ga over the elven princess instead.
    most of those who like aragorn and Arwen is because they haven't read the book yet...
    My sis is one of those who find the human-elven-relationship lovely... - the idea of that Arwen choose to become mortal just because she wants to be with aragorn is a sweet love story.

However, I like Faramir and éowyn... mainly because I've read the book and I found them sooo cute together and therefor created a "relationship" towards faramir and éowyn.
    the love between Aragorn and Arwen wasn't describe that much in the book...
    David and Miranda are doing a great job protraiting the characters...

anyway... I'm pleased with the result of LOTR. Peter Jackson have done a great job.... and hopefully we'll get to see "the hobbit" soon
    Last edited by Sioben; 12-15-04 at 02:01 PM.

I am reading the book right now, and I just can't wait to hear more about faramir and eowyn story. By the way, the book is awsome. I had a hard time reading at first, but once I got adjust to it, I can imagine pictures in my head from the movie, and go on with this beautiful tales. I am sooooooo amazed of the book!

Faramir.. I can't wait to watch the Hobbit either!

I agree that the DVD version of the houses of healing makes absolutely no sense and doesn't do any justice to the character of Faramir and Eowyn at all. If you follow the conversations they have in the book, it makes complete sense why they should like each other, given their common dilemma and predicament, but nothing much is actually said of their agony in watching their friends go and fight while they rest up. The scenes almost make Faramir a creep taking advantage of a girl and Eowyn, well, rather shockingly loose in her relationships. It doesn't flatter either character at all, while in the book you really understand and feel why they get attracted to each other. The other additions were nice (if a bit confusing after you've watched the non-extended version so many times because scenes are not just added, they're changed, and you're no longer familiar with the scenes) but the Houses of Healing and Captain and White Maiden scenes were way way inadequate. They are sufficient to explain why they stand together at the end, and that's about it.

Quote Originally Posted by 2socks
    I can't get over the fact that so many people (males) go ga-ga over the elven princess instead.
    Maybe us males lust over the 'forbidden fruit'. I mean, how are we gonna find ourselves an elven princess in this day and age??
    Last edited by JigSta; 12-23-04 at 10:41 PM.
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

Quote Originally Posted by JigSta
    Maybe us males lust over the 'forbidden fruit'. I mean, how are we gonna find ourselves and elven princess in this day and age??
    lol
    -the same goes for women... how are we going to find a decent, honor, cool etc. man like Faramir in this days?
    (this race seem to be dead if you ask me hehehe)