View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Wars Trilogy

14 32.56%
  • LoTR Trilogy

29 67.44%
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Star Wars Trilogy vs LoTR Trilogy

I don't think it was very common to reward sci-fi films back in the 70s & 80s. Clearly advanced CGI and a good twenty years can help change things.
    玉木宏

blog

Quote Originally Posted by James Ko
    No is a compliment. I did not see the way you saw with Frodo and it brought insight to me.

P.S. I never insult anyone
    great..... I better stick around you....that way I'll never get an insult hehehehe
    I've been touch by an angel
    I've been bless by the power of Sioben
    I can hardly believe you're that short!!

Sioben: 'ohh....shut up'

I like both trilogies but prefer LOTR- Maybe I can relate more to Middle Earth than outer space...

Default Whee

LotR all the way x) I think its because I used to rp on MSN Chat rooms medievil style with all the wizards, warriors beasts etc etc...was always fun so I guess it appeals to me more then a genre which has ((lets face it)) been exhausted
    It's Our Planet-It's Their War-Whoever Wins...We Lose -Alien Versus Predator

"It's like a condom,I don't need it,but I'd rather not need one and have one then need one and not have one"-Adele,AvP

Quote Originally Posted by Sebastian De Rosa
    a genre which has ((lets face it)) been exhausted
    What genre are you talking about?
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

I like the Lord of the Rings way more....at least I've watched through all of it. I've seen the LOTR trilogy several times and own both it, and Starwars but then, I haven't even seen all of the Starwars movie; it never really interested me
    "It is better to be thought of as a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt" -Abraham Lincoln

Whoa. I didn't expect LoTR to gain such a huge lead. Was expecting a stalemate of sorts.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Whoa. I didn't expect LoTR to gain such a huge lead. Was expecting a stalemate of sorts.
    Well......let's face it, LOTR was written by a university professor, while Lucas is......well, no university prof. . The thing that still bugs me is the names of the SW's characters: Luke, Liea, etc.., they are all recycled names, and if it's hard to believe this other galaxy exists somewhere else when they the same names as us.

Quote Originally Posted by douggilmour
    The thing that still bugs me is the names of the SW's characters: Luke, Liea, etc.., they are all recycled names, and if it's hard to believe this other galaxy exists somewhere else when they the same names as us.
    eeehh... I only see two name looking similary...and isn't because they are twin??
    some people tend to name twin similary.....

Well......let's face it, LOTR was written by a university professor, while Lucas is......well, no university prof. .
    I wouldn't say thats the reason....... I mean a non university professor can still write a good story....

But I believe one of the reason why LOTR is good is because... it took J.R.R Tolkien around 30 years to write the book and then have it released.....

I've never watched Starwars before, and never really got into them. So LOTR gets my vote.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Reminder... we're comparing the MOVIES. Leave the books out of this.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Reminder... we're comparing the MOVIES. Leave the books out of this.
    okie..... keep forgetting it

Quote Originally Posted by Sioben
    eeehh... I only see two name looking similary...and isn't because they are twin??
    some people tend to name twin similary.....
    No.what I mean is Luke is an english name here on earth. It's hard for me to get through the names b/c it's hard to believe this story/movie is from a "galaxy, far, far away." when they have names we developed on Earth. Lucas should do what Tolkien, and many other successful fantasy/scifi writers have done, that is develop a variation in the names.

Quote Originally Posted by James Ko
    Sioben has an interesting view on the Frodo and Samwise.

I am just saying that if it wasn't Bilbo who had the ring, i don't think Frodo would have the task to destory the ring.

Also Frodo had the same outcome as Ishir (Aargon's dad or grand pa)... who couldn't drop the ring to the pit. I mean I think man can do the job same as the Hobbit can. Elrond was there just like Samwise was there in end, trying to tell the ring bearer to drop it. The only difference was Gollum there who actually the one that destory the ring. So basically just need someone corrupted by the ring to join you and push him or her into the pit with the ring

Actually now I think why I dislike Frodo was because the actors who was playing him.
    Actually, when Isildur did not drop the ring, it was right after he received it. If Isildur had possessed the ring for as long a period as frodo had, he would have tried to enslave Middle Earth already. Isildur and Aragorn are separated by generations actually.

On the other hand, Frodo was able to drop the ring into the fire in hobbiton, although there was hesitation, he still did it.

Thus, a man would not have been able to do the same job as a hobbit.

Quote Originally Posted by foreva
    Actually, when Isildur did not drop the ring, it was right after he received it. If Isildur had possessed the ring for as long a period as frodo had, he would have tried to enslave Middle Earth already. Isildur and Aragorn are separated by generations actually.

On the other hand, Frodo was able to drop the ring into the fire in hobbiton, although there was hesitation, he still did it.

nope, Frodo was not going to drop it. It took Gollulm to bite of his finger and thus destroy the ring. But only a hobbit could have carried it so long without being corrupted by its influence and thus bring it to Mount Doom. Isildur only had it for awhile and was already corrupted by it.

Quote Originally Posted by foreva

Addition to this,

Isildur, Aragorn, Elendil are not humans at all, but are descendants of Luthien (an elf) and Beren (human), they known as numenorians. They are even more resistive to the ring. So if Isildur had such a strong reaction, imagine a greedy human getting his hands on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunner
    nope, Frodo was not going to drop it. It took Gollulm to bite of his finger and thus destroy the ring. But only a hobbit could have carried it so long without being corrupted by its influence and thus bring it to Mount Doom. Isildur only had it for awhile and was already corrupted by it.
    I said Frodo dropped the ring in the fire in hobbiton, when Gandalf told him to drop it into the fire. Not the fire in Mordor

No.what I mean is Luke is an english name here on earth. It's hard for me to get through the names b/c it's hard to believe this story/movie is from a "galaxy, far, far away." when they have names we developed on Earth. Lucas should do what Tolkien, and many other successful fantasy/scifi writers have done, that is develop a variation in the names.
    You do know that Sam is an Earth name too and Lord of The Rings takes place in a fantasy world with fantasy characters as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    You do know that Sam is an Earth name too and Lord of The Rings takes place in a fantasy world with fantasy characters as well.
    correction, his name is Samwise Gamgee (samwise one word).

Talking

Addition to this,

Isildur, Aragorn, Elendil are not humans at all, but are descendants of Luthien (an elf) and Beren (human), they known as numenorians. They are even more resistive to the ring. So if Isildur had such a strong reaction, imagine a greedy human getting his hands on it.
    being a Numeronian dun makes them more resistance to the ring, the fact that they are suprerior to normal humans makes them even more vunerable, b'cos of one weakness that arises out of it.. PRIDE..

PRIDE is what destroyed the Numeronreans in teh first place, they though they can challenge the Valar..

It's PRIDE that makes Insildur thinks he can he can mastered the Ring..

Tthe same PRIDE did Boromir and Dethenor in..

It's no coincidence Faramir and Argorn can resist the Ring , b'cos they both have a lack of self-confidence ..