View Poll Results: Which one do you prefer?

Voters
43. You may not vote on this poll
  • Star Wars Trilogy

14 32.56%
  • LoTR Trilogy

29 67.44%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

Thread: Star Wars Trilogy vs LoTR Trilogy

Quote Originally Posted by Canuck21
    What genre are you talking about?

Futuristic Space films and the like, I seriously think ((and this is only my opinion)) that Star Trek and Star Wars over-did that kinda thing and exhuasted it and well, I think its always the same since then, and when its not its just some very poor attempt at a modern day film that turns out looking more of a B-Movie (tv series' included)
    It's Our Planet-It's Their War-Whoever Wins...We Lose -Alien Versus Predator

"It's like a condom,I don't need it,but I'd rather not need one and have one then need one and not have one"-Adele,AvP

Quote Originally Posted by GuangRong
    being a Numeronian dun makes them more resistance to the ring, the fact that they are suprerior to normal humans makes them even more vunerable, b'cos of one weakness that arises out of it.. PRIDE..

PRIDE is what destroyed the Numeronreans in teh first place, they though they can challenge the Valar..

It's PRIDE that makes Insildur thinks he can he can mastered the Ring..

Tthe same PRIDE did Boromir and Dethenor in..

It's no coincidence Faramir and Argorn can resist the Ring , b'cos they both have a lack of self-confidence ..
    True indeed. If there is a race besides the hobbits to be able to resist the power of the ring, I will put more money on the race of the dwarves instead. With the seven rings for the seven fathers of the dwarves, Sauron was not able to enslave them, yet with the nine rings for the numeronean kings, he was able to enslave their souls. All he managed to do to the dwarves, was to increase their greed for gold and other riches, but their hearts were not bounded to the rings. Seeing that there is less known about the dwarves than elves in tolkien's works, it seems that dwarves may be the hardier race.

The original Star Wars movie was awesome, and I loved it to pieces. It is certainly one of the best films I have ever watched.

However, as a trilogy, LOTR is still my favorite. Yes, I am biased because I've read the novels (which I think are just fantastic and deep and brilliant and all that other good stuff), but I feel that overall, LOTR is something that people will remember forever. Star Wars was a great technological masterpiece in its days, but the subsequent sequels did not live up to the fourth episode (and let's not even talk about the horrible horrible prequels), and the storyline did not manage to captivate my imagination as much as LOTR did.

I like SW, but not half as much as LotR. Absolutely no dilemma here.
    True, I *am* biased. Been a Tolkien geek since high school.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

Quote Originally Posted by Cesare View Post
    I like SW, but not half as much as LotR. Absolutely no dilemma here.
    True, I *am* biased. Been a Tolkien geek since high school.
    I'm currently obsessed with anything high fantasy and Tolkienism haha. Already read that and now reading and following religiously of WoT, SoT, The Malazan, Mistborn, Riftwar and Song of Ice & Fire series.

Currently re-reading all the WoT book up to book 11, in anticipating of book 12, 13 and 14 - the final conclusion trilogy written by the great Brandon Sanderson, the author of a series which got the best fight ever in a fantasy series - the Mistborn Trilogy.

I am now on book 3 of WoT. I use bus to the Uni everyday, so got lots of time to finish all those 11 books while I'm here.

Quote Originally Posted by jadebunny9 View Post
    The original Star Wars movie was awesome, and I loved it to pieces. It is certainly one of the best films I have ever watched.

However, as a trilogy, LOTR is still my favorite. Yes, I am biased because I've read the novels (which I think are just fantastic and deep and brilliant and all that other good stuff), but I feel that overall, LOTR is something that people will remember forever. Star Wars was a great technological masterpiece in its days, but the subsequent sequels did not live up to the fourth episode (and let's not even talk about the horrible horrible prequels), and the storyline did not manage to captivate my imagination as much as LOTR did.
    I beg to differ. The Empire Strikes Back is considered by most to be the best of the original trilogy, myself included. It's actually my favourite movie of all time.

It has been a few years since the last LOTR movie and observing the movies in retrospect, it's clear to me that Star Wars' impact as a cultural phenomenon is still bigger than the LOTR movies, a lot bigger. You say that people will remember the LOTR forever. Well I don't see people forgetting Star Wars either and Star Wars is much older. To measure their importance and relevance, you also have to go back in time and see how it changed the industry and the people and Star Wars changed a lot of things. Many things haven't been the same ever since and I'm not just talking about the technological aspect of it.

Now if we're talking subjectively, then to each their own. I of course much prefer Star Wars. Like I said before, I find LOTR boring, very boring actually. In fact, I have no interest to ever see them again in my life. Star Wars, I have to watch at least once every two years.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Gotta partly agree with Canuck21 here. If we talk about films - LotR's impact was pretty huge, but definitely not as huge as that of SW.
    Overall, I think LotR wins hands down. But LotR made its true impact in 1950s, when the books came out.
    别想把黑暗放在我的面前
    太阳已经生长在我心底
    不再有封闭的畏惧
    奔腾的灵魂飞上天际
    太阳 我在这里

IMO the original SW Trilogy exceeds the LotR Trilogy in both quality and lasting impact.

A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back are both considered among the best films ever made by both fans and critics alike. Return of the Jedi was more or less like the big budget summer action flicks we have today. While this makes it the weakest link in the Original Trilogy, it's still an entertaining movie and of much higher quality than the common summer action flicks we get nowadays (Wolverine? *pukes*).

The LotR Trilogy maintains a consistently high quality through all three films. Part of this is due to the fact that they were basically filmed all at once instead of 3 different productions. However, while all three films are better than Return of the Jedi, they never quite reach the level of greatness like A New Hope and Empire Strikes Back. I always left the theater feeling that there was a very small bit of magic missing that would have elevated the films to that level of transcendence.

Find it pointless to compare and talk about lasting impact. Generally, earlier films will have longer impact and create more changes to the industry. It's harder to be ground breaking creative with time as past films have been there and done that.

Having a poll showing LOTR is more popular is meaningless given the younger population of Spcnet. Being introduced to the Star Wars in the late 90s meant that I found it boring and amateurish, never even bothering to finish a whole film. I know I am 'wrong', but unfortunately my subjectiveness have the same weighting as any other poster's subjectiveness.

Oscar also don't count much especially in this genre. Some of the best films lost their year and you also have to look at the competition for that year.
    Member of HYS fanclub -> click here to join group.

Member of TC fanclub.

If we are comparing the films (and films only), Star Wars triumphs over LoTR in many ways. Star Wars was one of the earliest science fiction/technology films, and its impact on the movie industry is huge. I don't even think that being of a "younger" generation causes Star Wars to lose any of its charms. I only watched the entire series last year, and found it to be excellent. I work with kids who are between 8 to 12 years old, and many of them prefer Star Wars related prizes more than other prizes (including current comic book heores, such as Batman, Spiderman, etc.). Many of these kids have also seen the entire Star Wars trilogy (episodes IV to VI). That for me really showed how huge the impact of the Star Wars trilogy is.

As for LoTR - the films were certainly fun to watch (and obviously, the technology is better). But the films alone do not seem very impactful (and I am very sceptical of the Oscar the third film won). The only reason LoTR is so famous is because of the book itself, not the films. The book itself definitely is on par with Star Wars in its influence, but the films alone can't compare to Star Wars.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.