Thread: Yeung Gor: approaching the tower to rescue Gwok Seung

Default Yeung Gor: approaching the tower to rescue Gwok Seung

This will probably be outrageously simple when someone who has read the novel explains it, but the ROCH '83 series and the comics adaptations leave it nebulous.

At the end of RETURN OF THE CONDOR HEROES, the Golden Wheel Monk had Gwok Seung tied up on a tower outside of Seung Yeung Fortress. So well-guarded was the tower by the Mongol army that even the power of four Greats (Gwok Jing, Chow Bak Tung, Wong Yerk See, 1 Deng), numerous first-class fighters (Wong Yung, Yeh Lut Chai, Ying Goo, Ching Ying, the disciples of 1 Deng, etc.), and a large force of Sung soldiers, beggars, and Cheun Jen Sect Taoists using Wong Yerk See's specially-designed battle formation could not fight their way through the Mongol defenses to rescue Gwok Seung. Yeung Gor, however, was able to swoop in and pull off the rescue. How was he able to approach the tower so easily?

In the TVB adaptation, it was simple: the Divine Condor could fly, and Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl were riding on its back. Hence, Yeung Gor was able to skydive onto the tower, bypassing the Mongol army. In the novel, however, the Divine Condor *cannot* fly. Did Yeung Gor use the Ancient Tomb Sect's superior hing gung to approach the tower? Did he strike from the back (all the Mongols' resources were focused on stopping Gwok Jing, etc., in the front)?

I tried ... italic: don't know the right word to use

Reflecting of 3 times meeting Yang Guo, even though from now on never have a chance to meet him again, those 3 sweet encounter was enough for a life. In this extremely dangerous situation, her mind was so calm, she did not care about the savage battle below the tower anymore. Letting her soul fly "deep valleys", to those days, suddenly a howl came from the far side, the howl seemed to overwhelm the killing screams of thousands of thousands of men and horses here. (1k men 10k horse)
    She startled( awoke with a start), that terror striken howl must be Yang Guo's one, the howl he used to stamped down the swarms of wild animals that day. She then turned her face toward the direction of the howl, seeing 2 persons crossing a forest of swords like a boat surfing on hurricane waves. In front of them, there was a enormous bird, whose wings never stopped flapping, which created 2 currents of storm that knocked down all the arrows launched to them. This drastic bird is the Holy Condor of Yang Guo.

will be continue must go study now

Thumbs up

Guo Xiang was full of joy, looking at those 2 people with concentration. The left one wearing green hat yellow shirt, that's Yang Guo, the right one's white dress was so beautyful. Swords bradished into one brillant light, following Holy Condor, they rushed to the tower. Guo Xiang screamed with all her breath:
    - Da ge ge,(big brother) she is Xiao Long Nu, right?
    The lady beside Yang Guo was exactly Xiao Long Nu, they were too far away to here Guo Xiang call. Holy Condor went ahead paving the way, its flapping wings made all the arrow drop down or go to other directions. Eventhough some arrow could be able to touch them, their speed were too low to hurt. Else, despite being a Holy Condor, its wings were still made of blood and meat not metal, how can they resist pointed arrows.
    In order to stop Holy Condor's savage moves, Mongol footmen intended to jump on their horse and use long spears to thrust but they were all crushed down by Yang Guo and Xiao Long Nu. 2 people empowered by one condor swiftly approached the tower.
    Yang Guo yelled:
    Xiao mi don't worry, I come here to save you!
    At that time, the lower half part of the tower was in fire. He leapt up and caught the ladder, climbed up several meters when he suddently realized there was a current of zhang feng up his head.

OK

Quote Originally Posted by Yang Ming
    Guo Xiang was full of joy, looking at those 2 people with concentration. The left one wearing green hat yellow shirt, that's Yang Guo,
    Wearing a green hat? That's hilarious! Do you know what the expression "wearing a green hat" means in Chinese?

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Wearing a green hat? That's hilarious! Do you know what the expression "wearing a green hat" means in Chinese?
    It should be Ching Kwoon, which is a "Emerald crown" (something like that), not a Luk Mo (Green hat).

對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

I had said that I tried .

To Ken Cheng: your Chinese is so good, why don't you read the origianal version?

To Laviathan:
    Sometimes those 5 colors black, green, red, white, yellow relate to water, wood, fire, metal, earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    It should be Ching Kwoon, which is a "Emerald crown" (something like that), not a Luk Mo (Green hat).

Okay, what's the meaning of wearing Emerald Crown, then?

u mean luk mo (not emeraled crown or whatever)? It's just a slang i think. When a woman is wearing a look mo she's adulturous. Not sure if it really apply 2 guys...

To Ken Cheng: your Chinese is so good, why don't you read the origianal version?
    You proboally be surprised to hear this but KC is chinese illiterate. Well thats what he claims anyway
    Last edited by duguxiaojing; 10-03-04 at 09:38 PM.
    wow..04-08....4 years just like that..time flies..

Quote Originally Posted by Yang Ming
    I'm conversant in (Cantonese) Chinese, but not literate in it. I have a character-recognition of perhaps 20%...not nearly good enough to read a wuxia novel in its entirety.

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan

You know what's funny? When I was a teenager, my friends and I sometimes jokingly referred to "Luk Ding Gei" (DUKE OF MT. DEER) as "Luk Mo Gei".

Not that Wai Siu Bo, with his many wives, had to worry about wearing a luk mo. Then again, if all seven of Wai Siu Bo's wives decided to give him the luk mo at once . . .

Senior Member kyss of the sword's Avatar

yang guo and dragon girl could reach the tower because they took the mongolians by suprise. the mongolians were facing the greats while condor couple atttacked from the back.also not all the experts were trying to rescue guo xiang directly , some of them were leading the soldiers and couldn't break away, or on their own effort they might have reached the platform but they may be trapped by the soldiers.
    THE KYSS OF THE SWORD IS DEADLY BUT EXQUSITE
    he's the strongest in history but he's the disciple.
    http://www.mangafox.com/manga/histor...ciple_kenichi/

Maybe.
    And because of Yang Guo's howl too, it's even hard for elephant to suffer if they are close to him. In addition to that, all the arrows shot from the far side were scattered by Condor, that's why they had no trouble to get close to the tower.

Luk Mo is what the male wears when his wife is adulturous.

Quote Originally Posted by duguxiaojing
    u mean luk mo (not emeraled crown or whatever)? It's just a slang i think. When a woman is wearing a look mo she's adulturous. Not sure if it really apply 2 guys...

You proboally be surprised to hear this but KC is chinese illiterate. Well thats what he claims anyway

O IC. I never realized it could be used for men ive only heard Wife wearing green hat never husband.

i believe its an expression reserved for men when their wife cheats on them.i never heard of a woman wearing a 'green hat'. maybe theres a different expression for that

Quote Originally Posted by duguxiaojing
    O IC. I never realized it could be used for men ive only heard Wife wearing green hat never husband.
    The woman gives her husband the green hat to wear. A woman does not wear a green hat.

OIC thx for chinese slang 101. the husband wears the hat when the wife is the adultore k.

Is that actually an English phrase, or a Chinese phrase?

Quote Originally Posted by rabadi
    Is that actually an English phrase, or a Chinese phrase?
    It's a chinese phrase.

hahahaha
    TaZzY InC