Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chow Yun-Fat dislike America

Just a rumour. Now that both careers in Hollywood are in trouble, I doubt they can work on something that high-profile anymore.

John Woo's last few movies have flopped rather badly, exposing himself to be a one-trick pony.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

I'm having a blank-out: what did Fat Ge do between CTHD and now? And what did John Woo do between MI2 and now?
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

The thing is that Asian actors and actresses need to go over to the USA with ideas and take control of films like Bruce Lee did way back. Otherwise they'll always get the crappy roles... Bruce expierenced it himself in the "Green Hornet" series...

I mean a movie like Matrix could have been taylor made for Jet Li/Chow Yan Fat ect.. instead of Keanu Reeves... They are the short of films they should be looking to get into. What about a Jet Li in AVP2 or something...

I think Asian actors would do well to pursue Sci-Fi movies... It would be more accepted in the West. The best action/romance/comedy/kung fu movies are always going to be reserved for 'white' actors... It's the plain truth. Asian actors will always be eating the crumbs off the table.

Also I find it amazing that no one in film as ever educated the Western World in wuxia?? I mean of the CTHD DVD they should have done a segment on wuxia to "educate" the western world, then prehaps we'll see Fox or New Line put up the money to make "Legend of the Condor Heroes" or something in the future... Just a thought...
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

I agree it would do much good to educate them about Wuxia, but the problem is Hollywood, and North America in general, doesn't seem to see a need to understand the outside world. I think they are quite content with filtering other cultures through their lenses and remoulding them to their own liking. CTHD is actually more Hollywood than wuxia in style. Hero is more "Chinese", but not really hard-core. Give them Once upon a time in China, Swordsmen II, or Dragon Inn, and I suspect they'll start getting puzzled.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Chow Yun Fat starred in the amazing Bullet Proof Monk.

John Woo made the amazing Windtalkers and Paycheck.

They all flopped badly.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Chow Yun Fat starred in the amazing Bullet Proof Monk.
    Yah - Who cold forget the marvellous "Bullet Proof Monk"...

I was like after it. So please CYF return to HK and do some more gangster films that he's so renowned for. He'll never get the credit, respect, and the roles he deserves at Hollywood...

That makes them the Amazing Twins.

Actually Fat Ge is as versatile as an actor can be, but his age is catching up with him, and yeah he looks a little Fat-Fok nowadays. Now he should be playing the Godfather instead of Mark Ge.

Quote Originally Posted by expression
    Give them Once upon a time in China, Swordsmen II, or Dragon Inn, and I suspect they'll start getting puzzled.
    I've read a lot of reviews on the Asian films released in the USA and can tell you that the'white' fans did love the following films:

1. Shaolin Temple - Jet Li
    2. Kids from Shaolin - Jet Li (really raved about this one)
    3. Once Upon a Time in China II - Jet Li
    4. Once Upon a Time in China and America - Jet Li (What Da F?)
    5. Dragon Inn - Tony Leung (the other Tony Leung)

Give them stuff like "Ashes of Time", or "The East is Red" and then they'll be utterly confused...

i'm not sorry to say this: Jet Li sucks in Once upon a time in China . First, he's ugly Second, always act too serious 4 word to describe: he makes me sick

Jackie Chan can't speak English and he plays foolish roles (not a serious one i meant) He said he wants to be a real hero not a comedy-action type. i think it would be hard ... because i don't think he's cut for it.

CYF on the other hand played many respectable roles . He's been in the industry long enough to have a name in Hollywood and HK . It doesn't matter where he's at, he receives respect from his fan, US and Asia . I, for one, think he is a great actor. and like the first post stated, he would come to US for work and then HK to live ... so i guess we would still see his movies in the future.

Quote Originally Posted by TuToo
    i'm not sorry to say this: Jet Li sucks in Once upon a time in China . First, he's ugly Second, always act too serious 4 word to describe: he makes me sick
    Regardless of what you say about Jet Li, which I think is rather immature in any case, his three films:

1. Shaolin Temple
    2. Kids from Shaolin
    3. Once Upon a Time in China II

Are some of the most watched films that have been produced in HK in the entire world. Infact "Kids from Shaolin" is neary as popular world wide as Bruce Lee's "Enter the Dragon" and other films... So give respect where respect is due... Let record speak for itself, and not any one person's immature views...

Quote Originally Posted by Long
    Yah - Who cold forget the marvellous "Bullet Proof Monk"...

I was like after it. So please CYF return to HK and do some more gangster films that he's so renowned for. He'll never get the credit, respect, and the roles he deserves at Hollywood...
    Yeah, Chow Yun Fat will be appreciate more in HK
    Les Arts Martiaux!
    "En Garde","Fleche Enflammee"!!

Well, to demonstrate the lack of respect that HK actors get in Hollywood. When Jacky Chan, Jet Li, and CYF were all in Hollywood, there were discussions to make films about "Wong Fei Hung", and "Genghis Khan".

Guess who were earmarked for the leading roles for these projects before they were subsequently canned??

Wong Fei Hung?? = Jean Claude Van Damme (What Da seriously F?)

Genghis Khan?? = Steven Seagle

Yah Hoo - no wonder they were canned... Great casting and nice to know that Hollywood went to the trouble of auditioning and casting the right actors to play those roles

They actually learned to appreciate New Dragon Inn! That's nice to hear.

I'm just wondering: what if they dig up these classics and show them in US. theatres with enhanced sound effects or something? Will it actually make some bucks?

Let record speak for itself, and not any one person's immature views...

Actually I haven't seen Kids from Shaolin. I feel ashamed.

Well, to demonstrate the lack of respect that HK actors get in Hollywood. When Jacky Chan, Jet Li, and CYF were all in Hollywood, there were discussions to make films about "Wong Fei Hung", and "Genghis Khan".

Guess who were earmarked for the leading roles for these projects before they were subsequently canned??

Wong Fei Hung?? = Jean Claude Van Damme (What Da seriously F?)

Genghis Khan?? = Steven Seagle

Yah Hoo - no wonder they were canned... Great casting and nice to know that Hollywood went to the trouble of auditioning and casting the right actors to play those roles
    I'm sure those were just rumours, man. Both of those clowns you mentioned had already became straight-to-video. These guys were NEVER really considered in big studio action films at all. (Just that Steven Seagal had a SLIGHTLY better career thanks to Under Siege, um... and Exit Wounds, yeah, that's it... the only movies that made modest amount of money). As for Van Damme, guy never got any notice ever since John Woo's Hard Target. No kidding.
    Swifty, Writing

They actually learned to appreciate New Dragon Inn! That's nice to hear.
    Ditto! I find that a pleasant surprise!

It's probably my favorite movie of this genre. Have watched it a dozen times. It NEVER gets old.

Actually I haven't seen Kids from Shaolin. I feel ashamed.
    Hmmm...watched this as a kid. I can still hum the themesong and remember the female lead's name; Ding Lan.
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

Westerners likes wuxia to a certain degree, but they doesn't understand it.

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=8880

Go through the link here. You will see how funny their intepretions of wuxia is.

I don't hear much of CYF and his career in America. Don't think he's doing well there. Yeah he should go back to HK where his talents would be more appreciated.
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Chow, Jet Li and Jackie only get 2 kinds of roles in Holyweird: cop from China/HK or gangster from China/HK. They talked with each other recently and they're all sick of it.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."