Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chow Yun-Fat dislike America

Who the hell cares if Jackie and Jet Li get these cop and/or gangstar roles, as long as the movies are good and not too corny I'll watch it (like they don't over exagerate the wuxia thing, I'm not really into it. I thought CTHD made it perfect though). And as for Chow Yun-Fag, overall I really think he sucks. Never really liked most of his movies, but Hard Boiled did have some awesome gun fights near the end though.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian0032
    Who the hell cares if Jackie and Jet Li get these cop and/or gangstar roles, as long as the movies are good and not too corny I'll watch it (like they don't over exagerate the wuxia thing, I'm not really into it. I thought CTHD made it perfect though). And as for Chow Yun-Fag, overall I really think he sucks. Never really liked most of his movies, but Hard Boiled did have some awesome gun fights near the end though.
    If you want to know who cares I'll tell you: their loyal fans. Basically, all of the Hollywood films that star Asians in it suck big time.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    If you want to know who cares I'll tell you: their loyal fans. Basically, all of the Hollywood films that star Asians in it suck big time.
    psh... like you. That's why you're back-firing. Oh and not all Hollywood films. You said all. I thought that Rush Hour 1 & 2 were good though. Well it just all comes to opinion. In my opinion he sucks.

I'm not basically a loyal fan of theirs but I'm just giving you an answer to who cares.

Who the hell cares if Jackie and Jet Li get these cop and/or gangstar roles
    Can you read ? Jet Li, Jackie and Chow Yun Fat care. Their fans care too.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Can you read ? Jet Li, Jackie and Chow Yun Fat care. Their fans care too.
    Well if I were them I wouldn't be complaining. If you have money coming out of your ***, why complain? Besides could you even imagine one of them doing a drama or love story in Hollywood? I couldn't. That's why I think they should just stick to their cop/gangstar roles. It's what suits them best. Like Tommy Lee Jones, most of the time he's doing military movies. He doesn't complain. And if he tries something else it's not gonna' look great. He just has to stick to what fits him best. Same goes to Jackie/Jet Li/Chow

These guys have made enough money to allow them to live 10 more lives comfortably. Have you ever thought that they are also in it for the art and they want to enjoy what they're doing, not just money ? Engage brain before keyboard, please.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

psh... like you. That's why you're back-firing. Oh and not all Hollywood films. You said all. I thought that Rush Hour 1 & 2 were good though. Well it just all comes to opinion. In my opinion he sucks.
    InRush Hour 1&2, Jackie acted kind of clownish in the roles. That is ok as Chinese like that kind of humour.
    But in Hollywood, it makes hime look kind of stupid. I saw a movie long time ago, I am not sure of the name, a very old movie, that sterotype the Chinese, speaking badly, acting like a clown. Really demeaning.
    If they want respect, they need serious acting. If they cannot cut it they cannot complaint, cause in the West, if you act like a clown, you are respected like a clown.

Quote Originally Posted by Thor
    InRush Hour 1&2, Jackie acted kind of clownish in the roles. That is ok as Chinese like that kind of humour.
    But in Hollywood, it makes hime look kind of stupid. I saw a movie long time ago, I am not sure of the name, a very old movie, that sterotype the Chinese, speaking badly, acting like a clown. Really demeaning.
    If they want respect, they need serious acting. If they cannot cut it they cannot complaint, cause in the West, if you act like a clown, you are respected like a clown.
    That is true. For some reason, Jackie, Jet, and Chow get roles that don't fit them well in America.

Well if I were them I wouldn't be complaining. If you have money coming out of your ***, why complain? Besides could you even imagine one of them doing a drama or love story in Hollywood? I couldn't. That's why I think they should just stick to their cop/gangstar roles. It's what suits them best. Like Tommy Lee Jones, most of the time he's doing military movies. He doesn't complain. And if he tries something else it's not gonna' look great. He just has to stick to what fits him best. Same goes to Jackie/Jet Li/Chow
    Actually, Chow Yun Fat did mostly Triad movies and played as a gangster not a cop.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    Actually, Chow Yun Fat did mostly Triad movies and played as a gangster not a cop.
    CYF in Hong Kong always had roles in movies as hero or gentleman. He is a good actor and played well, that is why he is one of the best chinese actor.

Of all his movies that were shown in USA, I only remember CTHD where he is the good guy but not much acting as Michelle Yeoh and ZZY have the major roles.
    If he was protrayed in many movies as bad guys, he will not receive the recognision. Same said about Tommy Lee Jones, Van Damn, Steven Seigal, they are recognised in their typical roles as bad guys or action heros. Those roles go not win Oscars. John Wayne is a cowboy legend who acted in thousands of movies in his acting career and was given an Oscar in his golden days as a token recognision. Same is true for Kirk Douglas.
    CYF has a long wait if he wants recognision and respect in Hollywood. Like someone said previously, he has to use his English name. Not about being chinese or proud of the chinese name. Its about marketing, and he has to do what it takes to win.

Fat ge did "Anna and the King" with Oscar-winner Judie Foster. That was his very first, if not second, Hollywood attempt. If Hollywood is going to appreciate his acting as Oscar-standard they would have done it then.

Personally I think Fat ge did sub-standard (his standard) in that movie. To me the English really made him uneasy. He carried that consciousness and courteousness that curbed his acting potential and charisma. In Chinese movies he was really at ease and natural.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Jackie was a servant in Around the World... but it didn't do well in the box office and could be the script.

So back to cop, ku fung fighter, stunt man... but then again back in Asia those are the roles he play too.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

The list of CYF Hollywood movies (in order)

1) Replacement Killers
    2) The Corruptor
    3) Anna and the King
    4) Bulletproof Monk
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

First of all, I like CYF and respect him as an actor. I really don't think it has much directly to do with English or American food.

My initial impression is, CYF is frustrated because he's "possibly" being shut out of good future Hollywood roles as an "unreliable" actor and as a bad investment. Whether you liked Bulletproof Monk or not, the film was essentially built around CYF and his character, and he was without doubt the star. But when the film was released, where the hell was he to help promote it?

In official statements, he said he couldn't come to the US to promote the film because it was "unsafe" (the US had just invaded Iraq), if you believe that. I think it was more a political statement. Eitherway, the movie flopped when it could've done much better with his direct help in promoting it. Afterall, he was the star!

Considering this, if I was a producer or studio executive, I'd think twice about hiring CYF and investing in a Hollywood film he was starring in, too. He's proven himself unreliable. I think this explains his frustration with Hollywood and the US in general. It really isn't the language or food. He can only blame himself imo.
    Zhang Ziyi CSC: news, biography, gallery, filmography, forums, more...

LoL.. that's pretty ignorant of him.... Why is he even complaining when he is getting the dough...

Quote Originally Posted by Long
    I mean a movie like Matrix could have been taylor made for Jet Li/Chow Yan Fat ect.. instead of Keanu Reeves... They are the short of films they should be looking to get into. What about a Jet Li in AVP2 or something...
    Actually they did want Chow Yun Fat & Michelle Yeoh in it but they both turned their parts down.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    The list of CYF Hollywood movies (in order)

1) Replacement Killers
    2) The Corruptor
    3) Anna and the King
    4) Bulletproof Monk
    Of all of those, I really despised Bulletproof Monk.

I thought they approached Jet Li for "Matrix 2". He turned it down and made "Hero", which proved to be a good decision. But Michelle turned it down for that Lara-Crofty movie, which is way worse than the Matrix flop. I'm glad they halted the plan to make "Mulan", which would have been another disaster for both Fat Ge and Michelle.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Doubt Michelle was approached for Tomb Raider.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo