Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Chow Yun-Fat dislike America

Default Chow Yun-Fat dislike America

I guess we wont be seeing him anymore in American films

HONG KONG - Chow Yun-Fat says he can't stand the American way of life and has no plans to pursue U.S. permanent resident status.

"I can't stand talking English every day or the lifestyle there ... not to mention the food," the Hong Kong-born film star was quoted as saying in Friday's editions of Chinese-language newspaper The Sun. "I only go to America for work. When I finish work, I leave immediately. I won't stay one day longer."

Chow rose to fame in Hong Kong with gangster movies including "A Better Tomorrow" before moving to Hollywood, where he has starred in films such as "The Replacement Killers" and "Anna and the King."

He couldn't be contacted for comment Friday, a National Day holiday in Hong Kong.

Member Of Huang Yi Fan Club

Could be the language barrier... also he didn't do very well in the box office... while in asian he was the king of actors.
    Flame on I am gone...

Facebook Is the best thing since ICQ

I read about this a few days ago. Most Asian actors get limited roles in Hollywood so I think it's best if he stays in Hong Kong.

Guy had achieved everything that had to be achieved as an actor in HK. A then-record 3 best actor awards (broken by Tony recently), all-time top-grossing films (before Stephen Chow's phenomenal run during the early 90s) etc. So it's kinda demoralizing that a living legend had to go through those kinda crap in America.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

I read the original piece in Chinese.

He said those words on Oct. 1, the Chinese National Day. He probably felt extra proud to be a Chinese on that particular day.

But to most the top is still Hollywood... and lots of actors and actresses don't see themselves as great until they made it there.

I really think he can do well, he just have to overcome the language barrier and have an english name (he should you Donald Chow, instead of his chinese name)
    Flame on I am gone...

No offense, but some people are not good at languages. Chow has clearly said speaking English frustrates him. You can never expect him to pass this hurdle.

I cant stand any of Chow's hollywood films. He doesnt do american movies too well. I guess its cause American is feeling his stuff so he doesnt want to be here.
    He's too old to pick up English now if he were to come earlier it would have helped a lot.
    Jackie Chan and Jet Li seem to be liking it here.

I think the reason why Jackie chan and Jet li like it in Hollywood is because they both find success... their names are easy for the public to pronounce... and they both have hit movies.
    Flame on I am gone...

Jackie Chan's only success are the Rush Hour movies, and only cos' buddy movies tend to draw more people. Try not to forget that Around the World in 80 Days is one of the biggest flops of summer.

Jet Li ain't getting that much success except for Hero, which is merely a foreign film doing well in Hollywood like Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Jet Li's Hollywood movies aren't anything to wow about.
    玉木宏

blog

Back in HK, Chow Yun Fat's status surpassed Jackie Chan cos' he was a character actor, you can see him in action, comedy and dramas. And most of these were either commercially or/and critically acclaimed.

But when he's in US, his services are not needed. There are better comedy actors and better dramatic actors (or rather, those that suit the tastes of the mainstream audience more)
    Swifty, Writing

Eliar is right here too most actors in the US are group in an area.

Jim Carey was known for comedy and it shows with his huge gross in his comedy movies... but why he is doing drama his movies does a sky dive.

Same as Will Smith, Bruce Willis, Arnie, etc... who are known for action movies but when they do a serious drama it usually doesn't do well.
    Flame on I am gone...

Hey, now Asian film is picking up. Just look at Korea, their films are no worse than Hollywood's. With alot of joint productions between Asian countries going on these days, I'd say an established Asian star like Chow Yun Fat has better prospects back in Asia. In America he has to start from stratch and his roles will be pretty limited. Just look at Jet Li too. The kind of movies he has to make (Kiss of a dragon etc) are just so unbefitting of someone of his status and reputation.

They should play bad guys
    Flame on I am gone...

Which is also rather insulting.
    Swifty, Writing

Fat Ge and John Woo should really get their act together to make ROTK instead of waiting around to shoot that never-happening movie with Tom Hanks. Though I'd like to see that one too.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by expression
    Fat Ge and John Woo should really get their act together to make ROTK instead of waiting around to shoot that never-happening movie with Tom Hanks. Though I'd like to see that one too.

What movie is that? with Tom Hank?
    Flame on I am gone...

*digs deep into memory* I remember news about John Woo wanting to make a movie about the Chinese working on the CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway) or something similar. The Chinese name was "HuaGong XieLei Shi", roughly translating to "Tears and blood of Chinese workers". This project was supposed to unite Fat Ge and Tom Hanks. But I'm not sure anymore.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by expression
    *digs deep into memory* I remember news about John Woo wanting to make a movie about the Chinese working on the CPR (Canadian Pacific Railway) or something similar. The Chinese name was "HuaGong XieLei Shi", roughly translating to "Tears and blood of Chinese workers". This project was supposed to unite Fat Ge and Tom Hanks. But I'm not sure anymore.
    I thought it was supposed to star Chow Yun Fat and Nicholas Cage. (I'm not sure though).