Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Chow Yun-Fat dislike America

I've always felt that although Chow Yun Fat made his career as a film actor, he actually did his best acting as a television actor for TVB during the 1970s and early 1980s. Ever since his film career began, I feel like CYF has been mailing in his performances. The energy and intensity of his TVB days hasn't been evident in a long time.

No, I wasn't referring to Tomb Raider, but that movie she produced with her then-boyfriend Zhong, in which she played someone like Lara Croft. It's called TianMai ZhuanQi. The English name escaped me... The Something. The Touch???
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by expression
    I thought they approached Jet Li for "Matrix 2". He turned it down and made "Hero", which proved to be a good decision. But Michelle turned it down for that Lara-Crofty movie, which is way worse than the Matrix flop.
    The Matrix flopped? Didn't it rake in tons of dough?

No, I wasn't referring to Tomb Raider, but that movie she produced with her then-boyfriend Zhong, in which she played someone like Lara Croft. It's called TianMai ZhuanQi. The English name escaped me... The Something. The Touch???
    Yep, the english title was "The Touch".

Heh sorry I'm not being too articulate today. The first Matrix was of course an instant classic and everyone loved it. The next 2 installments still made buckets of money but fell short (really short) of expectations. So in that sense they were a flop compared to the first Matrix.

Hence I say Jet was clever in picking "Hero" over "Matrix Reloaded" because he got all the attention and praise as the critical character in the former, while he would have been only "part of a disappointing movie" in the latter.

As for Michelle, well, "The Touch" was both a commercial and critic's disaster (Hollywood standard) while "Matrix Reloaded" at least made good money.
    My personal page: http://www.whileranting.com.
    Check out my creations and read the legendary Judge Expression's Courtroom Service.

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Crane
    First of all, I like CYF and respect him as an actor. I really don't think it has much directly to do with English or American food.

My initial impression is, CYF is frustrated because he's "possibly" being shut out of good future Hollywood roles as an "unreliable" actor and as a bad investment. Whether you liked Bulletproof Monk or not, the film was essentially built around CYF and his character, and he was without doubt the star. But when the film was released, where the hell was he to help promote it?

In official statements, he said he couldn't come to the US to promote the film because it was "unsafe" (the US had just invaded Iraq), if you believe that. I think it was more a political statement. Eitherway, the movie flopped when it could've done much better with his direct help in promoting it. Afterall, he was the star!

Considering this, if I was a producer or studio executive, I'd think twice about hiring CYF and investing in a Hollywood film he was starring in, too. He's proven himself unreliable. I think this explains his frustration with Hollywood and the US in general. It really isn't the language or food. He can only blame himself imo.
    Man, there's not much you can do to promote a movie like "Bullet Proof Monk", he would hvae just wasted his time and it would still be a flop...

Maybe I should get into Directing movies, because the dumb ****** out there just don't know how to promote Asians to the West - time to go old school and look at Bruce Lee's movies... Underneath all that figthing and kung fu is actually an essence that most poeple have missed... That we Asians can have fun and laugh at oursleves at the same time.... Just look at the way "The Way of the Dragon" was done....
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Well... I AM an aspiring filmmaker who had um... one short film under my belt .

But yes, CYF had been making a lot of bad career decisions since he came to Hollywood. Should return to HK and make some cool Johnnie To thriller. (after all, they HAVE collaborated before)
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo