Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How did you know Jin Yong?

Question How did you know Jin Yong?

Hey guys, I am curious about why did you know wuxia when you don't know Chinese because in most case, a person who knows Chinese will discuss in chinese forums.

About myself, I used to live in Vietnam, a nation in south of China which has a lot chinese affects. That's why I love this kind of fiction and read Jin Yong' novels.
    I have read all of Jin Yong's novels except these 3: 2 Flying Fox and Blood Sword
    only through movie

Back when I was a kid, I watched the 80s "Legend of the Condor Heroes" and got interested in it..

Like Omniflame, I started with LOCH82 series. I can say that I have grown up with this series. In Thailand, almost every series from TVB were broadcasted in our country. They dubbed in Thai so we can understand. As you guys may know, "Golden 80s" was not only in Hong Kong!

Well, some of Jin Yong's novels got translated into Indonesian, eventhough most of them (if not all) are 1st edition of the novel only.

Where Chinese lived, Jin Yong's novels exists
    Happy Birthday Yuanyuan!! (5th October)

Before Jin Yong, I was only exposed to the works of Gu Long.
    TLBB was my first JY's novel. I got the bahasa version, most probably 1st edition just like rabadi said. That's why I sometime got confused when referencing to them because some timeline got 'fixed', conversation changed and characters disappear, killed, etc.
    There are two things a person should never be angry at, what they can help, and what they cannot.
    Plato

TEEEEVEEEEEBEEEEEE!

My first contact with Jin Yong came in 1982 when I was ten years old. My father rented the tapes of TVB's then-new DEMIGODS & SEMIDEVILS adaptation. He explained to me that this fantastic story, and several others like it, were written by a man named Jin Yong.

I was hooked the moment I saw the sword play and the "magical" 1 Yeung Finger.

I watched TVB LOCH83 when it was dubbed in vietnamese and released in the U.S., when I was about 6 or so It got my attention with its sense of heroism, which made me hate the American's view of a hero with some exceptions of course.

If I remember correctly, it was the first chinese series ever to be vietnamese dubbed in the U.S., or at least in my area.

I grew up watching TVB serials, although I didn't really know who wrote what ( I thought TVB wrote those stories when I was small). I even played the game 'Legend of Jin Yong' and thought it was really cool that the game included all my favourite characters from various serials, but just didn't see the connection, and didn't have a clue who this "Mr Gold" all the characters referred to so reverently was. Then one day in 1997 I had a chat with my manager at work and he was talking about wuxia (can't remember how it started), and I told him I watched a lot. He asked me if I knew of Jin Yong, and I said no. He then asked me what stories I knew and I went LOCH, etc.. and he said that's Jin Yong, and in 5 minutes, after running through all the TVB serials I grew up with (LOCH, ROCH, XAJH, HSDS etc) I realised that almost all my favourite serials from young were written by Jin Yong, with the balance written by Gu Long. The whole 'Legend of Jin Yong' game then suddenly clicked.

Smile

I think it was in the early mid-80's when I first saw ROCH. Then the TVB made-up story of Dugu. Have been hooked ever since. They also help me increase my Vietnamese vocabulary.

Video Tape

in the mid 80s, we saw more than 120 tapes over the summer of my going on 4th grade (forgot what year it was). my first series of JY was Eagle Shooting Hero (?? -- it's Anh Hung Xa Dieu). after that series, follows RoCH, that sword thingie after RoCH (in viet it's Y Thien Do Long Kiem -- Co Gai Do Long)and then Duke of Mount Deer. after that pretty much all of the adaptations from his novels.

not until in the 90's, when i was in 8 grade, that was when i first read TLBB (DGSD) and by gosh, i love the novel. Because of the 'great' impact from the novel ( ) i've never seen the full series of any adaptations of that novel (knowing that the actors/actresses won't portray the characters well).... until the DGSD 03.

I'm a big dorky fan of TLBB/DGSD and JY

Like the most of you guys i saw the TVB adaptation of LOCH 83 and got hooked up but i didn't know that the author was JY.

Being a Cantonese, I grew up watching TVB wuxia series since the '80s when I was still a kid. But Jin Yong's work didn't catch my close attention until 1994 when I watched the Legend of the Condor Hero in which Julian Cheung was GJ and Athena Chu was HY. It was great, and I totally loved it. Since then, I continued watching the later adaptations, watched the '80s adaptations again, and started reading JY's novels.

from Andy Laus YG in ROCH'83
    TaZzY InC

As far as I can see, a lot of people started with Felix and Barbara's LOCH in getting in touch with JY's works. Seems that this version of LOCH has a great infleunce on people, including myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Thai guy
    Seems that this version of LOCH has a great infleunce on people.
    not necessary true. in my case .... back then in my country, we were limited on movies to see/rent.... and those are the ones that have easy access to, that's why we (my family) watch the series

i`d say my mom, because she introduced me to movies & books. =).
    Always in search of great historical/costume dramas.
    Find me on MyDramaList ^_^

by watching DGSD03 on chinese sky television when I had nothing else to do

Senior Member Demonic Swordsman's Avatar

watching XAJH 2001...my mom made me watch the first 2 episodes because she wanted me to practice some chinese my listening to the dialogue. Needless to say...i got kind of addicted and started watched 10 episodes the last day to finish
    "The most happy marriage I can picture or imagine would be union of a deaf man to a blind woman."