Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pitiful villains in tvb serials

Default Pitiful villains in tvb serials

im re-watching at the threshold of an era 1 and i really pity sunny chan there. that's why i came up with this thread. we tend to really hate villains, but im really interested to know if there are certain villains that you actually pity. let me start.
    1. sunny chan in at the threshold of an era 1
    2. raymond lam in golden faith
    3. kwong wah in secret battle of the majesties (well this is out of the thread topic coz this is atv production)
    that's all i can think of right now.
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Same here w/ the sunny chan and raymond lam one... but i would add Felix Lok to the Golden Faith one. Raymond turned evil because of him! Also:
    - Sonija Kwok in PITNOL and WTLB
    - Stephen Au in witness to a prosecution 2 and UADITSOA
    - Eddie Cheung in Police station no.7
    - Gigi Lai in Fate Twisters
    can't think of anymore...
    Last edited by caf_feee; 10-05-04 at 04:17 AM.

Maybe it's just me. I don't pity Raymond Lam's character in Golden Faith at all. I just want to slap him.

Agree with the choice of Sunny Chan in "At the threashold of an era 1".

Agree with the Sunny choice.

But I don't feel sorry for Raymond in Golden Faith. He was stupid and pathetic and he deserved his sorry ending.

Same for Cheng Chi Sing in Burning Flame I. That guy ought to rot in hell.

But for some reason, I've always had a soft spot for Yang Kang in LOCH 82. Doesn't hurt that he's acted by the very charismatic Miu Kiu Wai.
    玉木宏

blog

I was very angry with Oscar when he was being mean to Ivan and rejected all Ivan's attempt at reconcialiation before he 'discovered' that Ivan kidnapped him. But when I saw how hurt he was when his kidnapper told him it's Ivan who ordered his kidnapping, my anger for him all dissappeared. Instead, I felt sorry for him. He was as hurt and heartbroken as Ivan during their estrangement . Oscar was naive, but not evil. He did everything in the believe that it was to protect his father's fortune. (Yang Kang certainly is more evil ).

He deserves to go to jail for his crime, but I don't think his end is that sorry. He paid for his crime and redeemed himself at the end, and he has a wife, baby and family business waiting for him when he came out of jail.

I think any villain who start out good but turn evil after going through all the crap others throw at him/her will gain some sympathy from viewers.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-05-04 at 03:27 AM.

The pitiful villain I can think of right off my hat is Eddie Kwan's character in Vigilant of the Mask. He was the nicest guy in the beginning of the series. He lost his martial arts, lost the girl he loves and lived in a shack but he was still ok with it. His terminal disease is the last straw that broke the camel's back and make him turn evil.

i agree with gigi lai in fate twisters and eddie kwan in vigilante in the mask. i haven't watched loch82 so i can't comment on miu kiu wai. but i did pity gallen lo as yang kang in loch94
    gosh i once again watched the parts when sunny died in ate1 and i can't help but cry for him. he's such a nice guy (at the beginning) and when he finally decided to pay for his crimes, he's dead
    caf_fee: you mean you pity felix lok in gf?!?! he's the reason why raymond turned bad there!
    i can't remember much. but i think roger kwok in dif4 is also quite pitiful
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Oh yeah, Roger Kwok in DIF4. I really hoped he could have a better ending.

I'll third the Roger Kwok choice. I did wish Anne could have ended up with him. Sigh.
    玉木宏

blog

yup, i agree with sunny chan in threshold of an era, and gigi from fate twisters, but i absolutely do NOT pity sonjia in perish in the name of love but i did really pity kwong wah in a step into the past, i mean, yah, he did some wrong stuff, but he had a place deep in his heart that is kind.....and his ending was really, really sad

Quote Originally Posted by crazylazy_chief
    yup, i agree with sunny chan in threshold of an era, and gigi from fate twisters, but i absolutely do NOT pity sonjia in perish in the name of love but i did really pity kwong wah in a step into the past, i mean, yah, he did some wrong stuff, but he had a place deep in his heart that is kind.....and his ending was really, really sad
    Totally agree. The reason why Sonija in PITNOL turned bad was because she was always bad and couldn't be satisfied with life as it is, and strived to get everything at the expense of other's lives. And her reasons coul dbe as simple as trying to get attention and not let her sister get attention. She's got no conscience. The only time I pitied her was when she got married but that was all.

Kwong Wah's role in ASITP was ruthless, but everything he did was good intentions for things he cared about. He's just a really unlucky guy that places trust in the wrong people who do not return his loyalty, and gets misunderstood, fall in love with a girl who doesn't understand him, gets insulted and humilaited, leaidng him with no peaceful way fo living his life. He only does evil things because he needs to survive. And true, he still has a soft spot for Jessica, and later Eileen, and he loves his son more than his life.

One more I would add to the list would be Deric from Breaking Point. I pitied him even though he had the evil potential inside him, he really lost it when Kathy played with his feelings by going out with him and agreeing to marry him without loving him. (She liked him, but all the time she was longing after Leon).
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

My choices of pitiful villains are Yue But Qwun and his son-in-law character in SOD96. I know they are despicable, but they do sacrifice a great deal. What a painful sacrifice! I don't think it is worthed it though. By the way, who played these two characters in SOD96? I remember that the actor, who played the son in law, also acted in Legend of White-haired Maiden, but could not remember his name. He must have retired from showbiz.

yeah i did not pity sonija in pitnol nor in wtlb! she's evil from the very start. always scheming against her family. i did not pity her also when she was married in that general (in pitnol) because it's her own fault. serves her right if you ask me
    kwong wah is quite pitiful also in asitp....
    on the contrary, i didn't pity yue bu chun & lin ping zh in sod96. they are both very selfish, they castrated themselves because they want to be powerful, not because they were forced or what. it's the product of their selfishness. btw, yue bu chun was played by the veteran actor wang wei and lin ping zh was played by ho po sing. (nnadia's leading man in fate of the last empire)
    cherrie

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    on the contrary, i didn't pity yue bu chun & lin ping zh in sod96. they are both very selfish, they castrated themselves because they want to be powerful, not because they were forced or what. it's the product of their selfishness. btw, yue bu chun was played by the veteran actor wang wei and lin ping zh was played by ho po sing. (nnadia's leading man in fate of the last empire)
    I think YBQ deserves whe he got, since its ws his own choice anyway and he was pressured into it. But LPZ was troubled with the horrific death of his parents and burdened by revenge. True, LPZ is selfish, and hurt his wife a lot, but he was betrayed by one who he thought he could trust and that mucked him up in the head, but he still has a good side to him.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

you have a pt there
    cherrie

I would also like to add in Frankie (by Gilbert Lam) in that series with Kwong Wah and Maggie (sorry, forgot the name, but the time travel series) who was very insecure and had a low-self-esteem for most of the series. The lack of attention and respect he got in the family lead to his jealousy of Yung Jing's rose in position within the company (Manager) and family (Sister's potential husband, Dad's favourite) which threatened his own standing, and also with the corruption by power, Frankie started to go a bit nuts. I pity his ending! What a bad ending!
    Cyril Connolly

that's king of yesterday and tomorrow. hm, i don't pity gilbert there mainly because he's a hypocrite from the very start. he appears to be really nice but deep inside he's really scheming
    cherrie

Wan Tin Chiu in this very old serial (can't even remember if it's ATV or TVB) called "The God of Sword" ("Jian Shen" in Mandarin).

Wan starred as Ling Feiyang, a talented swordsman and the son of a prestigious family in the pugilistic world. Unfortunately, he found out that he was not the real son and fearful that his real identity would be discovered, he embarked on a series of wrongful acts that eventually brought about his own destruction.

This also starred Lau Kam Ling (as Ling's love interest Fan Ni) and Esther Kwan.
    玉木宏

blog

hm sounds like roger kwok's character in secret of the heart.
    cherrie

Quote Originally Posted by cherrie
    hm sounds like roger kwok's character in secret of the heart.
    You mean Nick Cheung. I don't think Roger was in Secret of the Heart.
    玉木宏

blog