Thread: The irreplaceble Bruce Lee

Default The irreplaceble Bruce Lee

After so many years, there aren't even one actor who could fill Bruce Lee's shoes or stood up to the idol image he has in the States or even worldwide. Even people in Sweden, Norway and Germany has heard of Bruce Lee . Jet Li, Jackie Chan or Brother Fatt are all movie stars but their star quality still falls short compared to him. I wonder what's the main reason? Is it because Martial Arts movies that Bruce Lee excelled in no longer has an appeal? What's your say?

Bruce Lee was more than a kung fu expert and entertainer... He's movies where great, but what he'll truly be remembered for is fighting against the system to enable 'whites' and 'blacks' to teach kung fu...

Also Bruce Lee died tragically at a very young age, under mysterious circumstances, and at the height of his career...

So he'll be long remembered because of the above... Poor Jet Li, Chow Yan Fat, and Jacky Chan are still alive (and acted in sub-par movies)... So how can they hope to compare with Bruce Lee
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Bruce Lee was indeed a good fighter but I thought that some of his movies are kind of boring compared to Jet Li's or Jackie Chan's moives.

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    Bruce Lee was indeed a good fighter but I thought that some of his movies are kind of boring compared to Jet Li's or Jackie Chan's moives.
    Bruce Lee's movie boring? Hmm..perhaps Bruce doesn't tickle your funny bones like Jackie Chan or lack the acrobatic capabilitites of Jet Li.

Quote Originally Posted by yufeifei
    Bruce Lee's movie boring? Hmm..perhaps Bruce doesn't tickle your funny bones like Jackie Chan or lack the acrobatic capabilitites of Jet Li.
    When I watched his movies for the first time, I actually enjoy it but watching it many times, I felt it was kind of boring.

Well, that's not completely untrue.... He is a very charismatic actor, however. I find it hard to take my eyes off of him. Most of his movies drags but his presence makes up for it. He is also an excellent martial artist.

PS. Who's the better fighter, Bruce Lee or Jet Li? I just this post this for the hell of it.
    “Heavy sword with blunt edges, simplicity brings superiority. Before I reached the age of forty, I used it to roam the entire world under Heaven.” (Dugu Seeking-A-Loss)

“After the age of forty, I no longer relied on weaponry. Even bushes, trees, bamboo sticks or rocks call all be my swords. From then on, I achieved great progress and slowly reached the realm of overcoming the sword without a sword.”(Dugu Seeking-A-Loss)

Quote Originally Posted by Yo Kang
    PS. Who's the better fighter, Bruce Lee or Jet Li? I just this post this for the hell of it.
    I like to watch Bruce Lee fighting. It's more like a dance sequence, great choreography! He just charms you with his fist and kicks .. Jet Li, it's all about power with him..fast moves and speed. And NO expression ... I mean NONE!!

Bruce Lee movies are legendary.

I also feel bad for Brandon Lee. He wasnt as famous as his father but had the same fate. The Crow was one of my favorite movies. As a matter of fact i just bought it on DVD yesterday.

Bruce Lee's movies weren't very good. He wasn't a very good actor or an action star; he's far more important for his legacy than his actual achievements. He really opened the doors for martial arts cinema in the US and (less positively) created the stereotype of Asian superman that exists to today. It's safe to say that Bruce was single-handedly responsible for making wudao popular as a self-defense/meditative sport in the US, as well as lining up pockets of "sifus" in China/HK/Taiwan with gullible Western students' cash. *cough*

Really, Jet Li made far better movies and he looks better onscreen. Jet Li's Fist of Legend is more nuanced and better acted than rabidly racist FoL of Bruce's. And Bruce never made great artistic films like Huang FeiHong or Hero. Jackie Chan's Shanghai Knight was a far better crossover than Bruce's Enter the Dragon.

Quote Originally Posted by Yo Kang
    Well,

Bruce Lee definitely. Jet Li's an athlete whereas Bruce was a fighter. Li's wushu is 2/3 forms and acrobatics. He's never really fought anyone seriously, unlike Bruce, and Li talks on the Cradle to Grave audio that real fighters would kick his butt.

Fatality. Score. Bruce wins by decapitating Li as Li helplessly flails his arms around in a desperate attempt to look cool while dying.

For fighting Bruce Lee is the best. For acting and type of movies I think Jet Li is much better.

Yeah I like Jet Li's movies bette than Bruce Lee's. Of course the timing is different so it's hard to compare. But Bruce Lee is still awesome. I was gonna buy his poster a couple weeks ago.

What was the real name of the look a like who was called Bruce Li?