Thread: What did you gain from wuxia fiction?

Default What did you gain from wuxia fiction?

Certainly, wuxia is not just a fiction. What did you gain from reading wuxia novels/watching wuxia adaptations? Did you gain anything that can be adapted/applied/used in your real life? For me, I think wuxia novels/series made me know the "people". I mean it is quite easy for me to identify whether the persons who came into my life are good or bad within quite a short conversation. This is because, in wuxia novels, there are many types of people for you to meet. Some are completely honest such as Guo Jing. Some are cunning but still good such as Huang Rong. Some might not care about the society. Some are bad such as GWM.

Wuxia teaches you some philosphies of life.
    Because I'm somewhere in between,
    My love and my agony.

and it teaches you how to debate any theories in this forum
    TaZzY InC

It made me join this forum, and in the end I benefited from joining this forum, such as making on-line friends, got to learn general thingy, and of course practising my english .
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

Amusement. That's what I get from wuxia fiction. As for philosophies, well, there is this local wuxia writer in my country whose works are so full of philosophies, it's like every other page there will be some sort of philosophies inserted. But I tend to just skip the paragraphs The reason being most of the time I don't really agree with his philosophies. So I just read the wuxia fiction for the entertainment sake.

Wuxia can get rid off dregs of society, for example, by teaching them that they can fly so they'll jump off a five story building with their "Qing Gong". . .

Talking

It changes my characteristic a lot! If I hadn't read them, especially ROCH, maybe my life would have been different

Quote Originally Posted by Yang Ming
    It changes my characteristic a lot! If I hadn't read them, especially ROCH, maybe my life would have been different
    It's interesting. Can you explain it a bit more? How can your characteristic be changed by reading ROCH?

Quote Originally Posted by Tazzy1972
    and it teaches you how to debate any theories in this forum
    It gives us a topic to debate on, but it doesn't actually teach us HOW to debate.

reading the books help me practice my chinese.

I wish I actually started reading the books at a younger age. In that case, i would have been able to do my book reviews for school on wu xia novels, instead of some stupid chinese books that my mum picked out.

well wuxia taught me to dream and try to escape reality, which is a good thing.
    also wuxia eliminated my modern series watching, i only watched wuxia for like the whole last year, until i saw triumph in the sky and healing hands, that sorta made me forget alot bout wuxia, anyways im getting off topic
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Thai guy
    It's interesting. Can you explain it a bit more? How can your characteristic be changed by reading ROCH?
    If you want
    There was a time where I was in the middle of 2 thoughts should I be an intellectual, cold blooded man or an emtional, friendly man. I thought a lot, which was the better way for me to choose.
    Should I put away all the social relationships, just study to prepare for a career? But money can make us rich, high class make us proud of ourselves... it's only love that can make us happy and enjoy our lives.
    On the other hand, should I try to be friendly to everyone and I would have a lot of friends. But I knew that's not what I need, I just need a few friends who are truly kind and I am not sure that I could pretend forever.
    After several months struggling, although I could somehow realized that there was a way to combine those different characteristics, I couldn't figure out what it is .Coincidently, there came ROCH as it had been written for me.

Inside Yang Guo's mind, there is a combination of his 2 characteristics: one is intellectual, cold-blooded but the other is emotional, sensitive and kind-hearted. This unique character enables him to somehow know what other people are thinking and their attitude towards him. He could somehow affect other people's feelings to the extremes, either confort them, make them cheer, warm their soul with his love or express his hatred by making them annoyed, furious, ashamed. His traumatic, lonely situation also tremendously stimulates that way of thinking: be yourself no matter what others' saying. Nevertheless, above all, he just want to love and be loved. In his mind, since a child 'till an adult, there's no law no rule, just love and hate. He'll do anything to support, protect people he loves and struggle, stamp out what he hates. If you ask him to swallow his pride, hide his emotions, be patient and use a more cerebral approach, the answer is always yes unless he thinks that is not what he should do and there is no force can even death could make him change his mind.

That's exactly what I want to be so I do my best to achieve it. I wouldn't be what I am today if I didn't read ROCH. I think by creating unique characters with different ways to succeed, Jin Yong wants to describe the idea that different chances come to certain different kinds of people, they must be ready to catch them in order to successful. If Yang Guo hided his emotion and tried to be a "good guy", there would never be Xia Kuang laughing on the peak of Hua Shan beside Xiao Long Nu.

What did you gain from wuxia fiction?
    Life is unpredictable, short and precious. Keep life simple, stable, relaxing and healthy. Live a life that fit you, don't keeping up with the Joneses.

Quote Originally Posted by Trien Chieu View Post
    Life is unpredictable, short and precious. Keep life simple, stable, relaxing and healthy. Live a life that fit you, don't keeping up with the Joneses.
    lol this 10 year necro
    Participate in SPCNET Idol Season 4!!!

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthre...66#post1127566

Entries due July 31st, 2016!

In wuxia, life is very unpredictable. You can be at the top today and hit rock bottom tomorrow. Many many great martial artists leave Jianghu and to live a simple, stable and carefree life.