Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: need information about du gu qiu bai

Question need information about du gu qiu bai

which era did he exist and did he learn his skills from some master or by himself?
    wat kind of a person is he and did he have any disciples?
    how did 4 skills of lonely nine sword survives and the remaining skills were lost(xiao au jiang hu)?
    how did the 'qiu bai' part comes about and is there any novel on him?

lastly is it true that hes the best swordsman among all the heroes of all times?
    Last edited by shen long; 10-17-04 at 01:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shen long
    which era did he exist and did he learn his skills from some master or by himself?

i think he existed in the song dynasty, but im not sure, someone pls verify this. i think he invented his own skills

wat kind of a person is he and did he have any disciples?

hes pretty arrogont and loney, judging from his name. u can consider diao xiong his disciple, but hes more of a sparring partner/sand bag. diao xiong is pretty ugly looking with balding feathers and a lump on his head, probably cus he got abused by dugu alot.lol

how did 4 skills of lonely nine sword survives and the remaining skills were lost(xiao au jiang hu)?
    how did the 'qiu bai' part comes about and is there any novel on him?

dunno, gotta ask jin yong. but didnt feng qing yang know 8 swords ? i think the only one he didnt master was po qi shi. dugu qiubai=lonely guy begging for defeat. he supposedly was never defeated and yearns to find a worthy opponet, hence the term qiu bai(begging for defeat)

lastly is it true that hes the best swordsman among all the heroes of all times?
    if u believe his claims of invinsibilty, which is probably true, look at his 2 "disiples" yang guo and ling hu chong. and they havent even truely mastered the swordplay

dugu is a mediocre swordsman who lost his sanity after being utterly defeated in battle. He went so crazy, he started inventing crazy stories about his invincibility. He wrote these stories everywhere. yangguo happened upon some of his rantings, and thinking they were true, was inspired to greatness.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

JY doesn't written any other info on DGQB other than the one in ROCH (already translated) and also in SPW (already translated) any new info on him are merely speculation by the fan.

Why most people think DGQB is overrated (only big talk no substance) because no one in DGSD or LOCH have fight or heard about him and confirm his superiority

For making speculation, you can use this point:

- in ROCH, there are the writing in the cave, the swords and the Condor who can help YG to increase his martial-art ability

- in SPW, FQY teach DG9J to LHC and as FQY stated DG9J was created by DGQB

- you have three persons who were directly a by product of DGQB -->> YG, FQY, LHC.

- Certain people just to discredit YG and saying his dead sifu is a dotage person speculate that DGQB who create DG9J in SPW is not the same person as DGQB in ROCH

so based on the points above its up to you if DGQB is a senility with feeble mind who just ranting about his superiority or a true martial-art genius
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 10-20-04 at 07:27 AM.

i dont think jin yong intended dugu qiubai to be a fraud when he wrote abt him. he probably shrouded his past in mystery so as to give him a more "god like" feel

Exactly. He reminds me of Tom Bombadil from the Lord of the Rings.

As Tolkien wrote, "Even in an age of fantasy, there must be some enigmas."

DGQB is one of Jinyong's enigmas. I actually see him as VERY similar to the Sweeper Monk, and personally think both of them are on the same level.

Quote Originally Posted by atlantean0208
    JY doesn't written any other info on DGQB other than the one in ROCH (already translated) and also in SPW (already translated) any new info on him are merely speculation by the fan.

Why most people think DGQB is overrated (only big talk no substance) because no one in DGSD or LOCH have fight or heard about him and confirm his superiority
    The reason why we don't hear about Dugu in LOCH or DGSD is pretty simple ... Dugu lived during the period AFTER DGSD and before LOCH so obviously no one in DGSD would mention him. The reason why he wasn't mentioned in LOCH is obvious as well, the character wasn't yet invented. JY wrote LOCH before ROCH and XAJH so obviously he won't appear in LOCH because he wasn't yet a reality in JY's mind.

I can't quite recall the source but I do specifically remember him being a person with a giant frame who hailed from Siberia. Think it was an interview with JY who described more about Dugu.

Just because no one mentions him, doesn't mean he doesn't exist. Nobody mentions Wong Chongyang in HSDS.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    Just because no one mentions him, doesn't mean he doesn't exist. Nobody mentions Wong Chongyang in HSDS.
    Actually, I think Tse Tsun did mention Wong Chung Yeung briefly at one point. Tse Tsun mentions all kinds of people in HSDS...not just Wong Chung Yeung, Gwok Jing, and Yeung Gor, but even an oblique reference to King Richard of England (!) I think.

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    the problem is, DGQB claim that he defeat all top martial art opponents, unless at that time he was living in another parallel universe, then this top martial art opponent should be the greats from LOCH or DGSD. Its probably Huang Shang... who knows and if he roaming the wulin to find the better opponent shouldn't he just go to the Hua Shan and fight in the tournament

Let see how sword without sword fare against XTG or YYZ or Hama Gong

I guess JY when writing ROCH doesn't care about *continuity*
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 10-20-04 at 08:29 PM.

the problem is, DGQB claim that he defeat all top martial art opponents, unless at that time he was living in another parallel universe, then this top martial art opponent should be the greats from LOCH or DGSD. Its probably Huang Shang... who knows and if he roaming the wulin to find the better opponent shouldn't he just go to the Hua Shan and fight in the tournament

Let see how sword without sword fare against XTG or YYZ or Hama Gong

I guess JY when writing ROCH doesn't care about *continuity*
    I got no problem with the timeline. From his own tomb and YG's estimation, DGKB's time would be after DGSD and before LOCH. So, it would not be suprising if DGKB did not meet another strong fighter.

Further, DGKB claimed about heroes of the plains, HS may not even be in the same geographical area as DGKB, so his claim may also be valid.

Han SOlo

Further, DGKB claimed about heroes of the plains
    Good point if Dugu just meant the Central Plain heroes.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

IMO, HS and DGQB probably existed around the same time, just that their appearances in wulin are different.

When HS was fighting against the Ming Sect along with other sects, DGQB probably only beated a little amount of peole and wasn't famous enough to be known by HS(also because HS doesn't belong to wulin and doesn't know any events that took place in wulin). Probably one of the reason why young DGQB couldn't any one to lose to because HS kill them all already jkjk. HS took like a 40 year break from wulin to invent his 9 Yin, during this time I guess DGQB was beginning to give himself a name in wulin. I think he retried in his late 40s, so when he retire, HS just return to wulin.

also being call Demonic Sword, DGQB's reputation isn't really good with the people and was forgotten really easily(even his name is quite arrogant). I think this is the same with RWX,(correct me if I'm wrong), I remember that LHC doesn't even know who RWX is and it was just been 12 years. I think it also goes the same to HS, no one wanted to mention some great martial artist that kill almost everyone in wulin. that is why his name was forgotten, until someone found 9 Yin.

also being call Demonic Sword, DGQB's reputation isn't really good with the people and was forgotten really easily
    Perhaps DUGU QIUBAI hailed under a different name when he was famous?

Just a thought.

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Perhaps DUGU QIUBAI hailed under a different name when he was famous?

Just a thought.
    maybe, I don't think his mom or whoever raise him up give him the name Qiu Bai . I can imagine it now, his relative yelling, "Seeking a loss" "Seeking a loss"

or he is an unknown swordman that beat up people, that no one in wulin knows his name or where he come from. They just know there is this crazy guy going around and beating up people. he probably doesn't even send an invitation for a duel.

maybe Dugu Qiubai IS Huang Shang !!

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    maybe Dugu Qiubai IS Huang Shang !!
    OR maybe Dugu, Huang Shang and Sweeper Monk is all the same person and we got the timeline wrong. HAHA

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    OR maybe Dugu, Huang Shang and Sweeper Monk is all the same person and we got the timeline wrong. HAHA
    where is JY when we all need him to clear this confusion

he keep revising ROCH again and again but not have time to even give us a clue who DGQB is

where is JY when we all need him to clear this confusion

he keep revising ROCH again and again but not have time to even give us a clue who DGQB is
    I'm suprised no one ever bugged JY about these things. If I know him in real life, he's not getting any sleep until he gives me an answer haha

Quote Originally Posted by TaiHan
    IMO, HS and DGQB probably existed around the same time, just that their appearances in wulin are different.

When HS was fighting against the Ming Sect along with other sects, DGQB probably only beated a little amount of peole and wasn't famous enough to be known by HS(also because HS doesn't belong to wulin and doesn't know any events that took place in wulin). Probably one of the reason why young DGQB couldn't any one to lose to because HS kill them all already jkjk. HS took like a 40 year break from wulin to invent his 9 Yin, during this time I guess DGQB was beginning to give himself a name in wulin. I think he retried in his late 40s, so when he retire, HS just return to wulin.

also being call Demonic Sword, DGQB's reputation isn't really good with the people and was forgotten really easily(even his name is quite arrogant). I think this is the same with RWX,(correct me if I'm wrong), I remember that LHC doesn't even know who RWX is and it was just been 12 years. I think it also goes the same to HS, no one wanted to mention some great martial artist that kill almost everyone in wulin. that is why his name was forgotten, until someone found 9 Yin.
    I basically agree, here's how I always thought things probably happened:

HS fights against the Ming Sect and is eventually beaten, retreats
    DGQB starts travelling around China, killing many strong fighters including a lot of the Ming Sects elders and leaders, decides there is noone worthy to fight him and retreats, possibly never hearing of HS or at best having been told that he is dead (HS did disappear without a trace for 40 years after beeing the top target of the Ming Sect, most likely everyone who knows about those events would just assume he has been killed by them, and the Ming Sect wouldn't like to mention that they failed to kill HS so they just act like they did kill him)
    HS returns 40 years later, having completely missed DGQB, pretty much every top martial artist he wanted to kill has already been killed by DGQB, finds a last survivor, dies, probably having never heard of DGQB because people are naturally unwilling to bring up someone that has far superior skills than them.

It always seemed strange that there were no people left in the Ming Sect that would at least put up a little bit of a fight against HS, even if the people that originally forced him to retreat died of old age shouldn't they have students or children that would at least try to fight in their place? But if DGQB was around during the 40 years period and already killed most if not all of their good fighters that would explain how the Ming Sect went from apparently having a large number of very strong fighters to having noone worthy of doing so much as challenging HS upon his return.