Thread: Is Shi Po Tian a good cook?

Default Is Shi Po Tian a good cook?

In both the mainland and TVB version of Ode To Gallantry(Xia Ke Xing), SPT is shown to be a pretty good cook. In fact this aspect of him is emphasised in the Mainland version. In that version, SPT actually won the heart of Ting Bu San with his culinary skills. Xie Yan Ke also misses his cooking after he left Touching Mountain Cliff. In the TVB version, SPT is relegated to a secondary character role, so, not much is shown of him. But in that version, Xie Yan Ke likes SPT's cooking a lot, so he must be a pretty good cook as well.
    Is SPT a good cook also in the book? Or is his culinary skills not mentioned at all in the book?
    Last edited by kidd; 10-17-04 at 02:43 AM.

Yes, he was quite capable.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

How can he learn to cook so well that a worldly man like Ting Bu San can be won over by his cooking? Throughout his childhood, he lived in seclusion with maximum 1 guardian at a time. The places he live are also very secluded like in the forest or on top of a cliff. So, cooking resources(raw material, spices etc) must be not very varied. Xie Yan Ke's cooking skill is certainly poorer than him. So, how can he learn cooking skills that rival the experienced chefs of restaurants around town?

Is his 'mother' a very good cook? In the mainland version, SPT didn't say anything about his mom's cooking being good. If I remember correctly, he only said his mom like his cooking.

His foster mother was a special lady. She was the most beautiful girl, the best cook, the best at embroidery, the best poet, the best at calligraphy and painting, the best martial artist (females only) etc. in wulin 20+ years before XKX. SPT's father admitted this at the end, but he said that he didn't love her because he didn't feel comfortable around her. SPT learnt his cooking skill from her.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    His foster mother was a special lady. She was the most beautiful girl, the best cook, the best at embroidery, the best poet, the best at calligraphy and painting, the best martial artist (females only) etc. in wulin 20+ years before XKX.
    Too bad she wasted all that talent for a man who doesn't love her.

I don't think she loved him either. Her pride was just seriously hurt because he picked a lesser woman, while everyone else in wulin would die to have a chance with her. She was a psycho.

That's even more stupid of her. With her talents and look, she can get other men as good as Shi Qing and have a happy married life. If she doesn't want to marry, she can can be a 'nu xia' and gain the respect of wulin people. Instead she go and wear an ugly mask and wasted 20 years of her life trying to get revenge.

But at least, she isn't as psycho as Li Mo Chou or Wang Yu Yan's mom, who kill people just because they has the same surname as her love rival or her lover.

Wonder who is a better cook, Huang Rong or Shi Po Tian.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-18-04 at 05:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Instead she go and wear an ugly mask and wasted 20 years of her life trying to get revenge.
    She didn't wore a mask. She mutilated her own face.

But at least, she isn't as psycho as Li Mo Chou or Wang Yu Yan's mom, who kill people just because they has the same surname as her love rival or he lover.
    Nah.

Li Mochou was sorta abandoned by her boyfriend and because she could not get revenge (her ex-lover and rival were protected by a Dali monk for 10 years), she became a serial killer due to frustration.

And Madame Wang, well... she's just stupid and dumb.

But Mei Fanggu is PSYCHO.

Shi Qing had been very clear to her that he doesn't like her. At least Li Mochou and Lu Zhanyuan had dated for a while (according to Li), in Mei's case, she and Shi Qing had no relationship whatsoever.

But she was still crazy enough to kidnap Shi's son and ruin her own face with knife cuts.
    ¹ï ¼Ä ¶· ¬½ ¡A ±Ù ¯ó °£ ®Ú ¡A ¨k ¤k ¦Ñ ¥® ¡A ¤£ ¯d ¤@ ¤H

Sometimes I wonder why wuxia is just like the Internet: Single, Attractive, Mentally Stable - Pick two.

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    She didn't wore a mask. She mutilated her own face.
    Ahh, I was duped by the TV serial (mainland version). In that serial, Mei Fanggu didn't disfigure herself. She only wore a mask. She became beautiful again after her mask was removed at the end (forgot whether it was after her death or just before).
    Last edited by kidd; 10-18-04 at 05:40 AM.

not the 1st adaptation not to follow the novel
    TaZzY InC