Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Merger Between MCS and SPH Mediaworks

Quote Originally Posted by strawberry
    actually, I feel that mediaworks does not treat its artist fairly...I mean they only focus on a few like Michelle Chia. The rest, I hardly see them...
    Yeah, I find Michelle Chia kinda overrated and overexposed too.. no offence to her fans..

Angry Where is Funn LIm?

Never see her all the while.... is she still OK? .... or arranging someone to place a 地雷 at the doorstep of the person decided to KILL her shaun???
    ~~ KilL yOuR bOsS, bEfOre He KilLs yOu ~~

this post was created by whoareyou from Mediacorp Forum

did u agree with this , please help to reply

Those who deserved a sack. They are :

Zhang Haijie (She is damn arrogant critisize MCS a lot too. Jump to mediawords cause didn't get the star award! very bad attitude. she can't hold a candle to Dong Suhua and Caiying! SACK HER!!!! I heard she fool around with ang mohs at night at pubs. Disgusting! Bad looks too!) If she is in I will boycott the Channel 8 news! Haha!)

Michelle Chia (I can't stand the sight of her irritating fake artiste she is not even pretty but act like one! Lousy acting and hosting skills too very act cute too)

Quan Yifeng (I very very cannot stand her! Damn arrogant her mouth stinks! She critisized MCS the most! MCS is really stupid to take her back. Noisy and problematic. Ill-mannered. Very wilful. "Chia4 Poh2") If I am her I won't have the face to come back. She is really thick faced.

Celest Chong (Irritating. She can't act can't sing can't host basically good for nothing. Waste resources only. Not pretty.)

Guo Liang (Arrogant. He thinks he is the best host. Left MCS though given so many chances to host. A good example of a traitor)

Ann Kok (This person left MCS to develope her career overseas but failed badly there came back joined Mediaworks as no face to join back MCS cause MCS used to groomed her and she is the third Ah Jie.) Ann you are so thick face?

Ezann Lee (I see no potential in her. She should get out together with her sister! Ericia is a bimbo basically good for nothing.

Kym Ng (Irritating noisy old-woman-but-act-like-a-child. Can't stand her. Actions a lot. Voice so rough how can she be a host in the first place? MCS groomed her but she left at her peak. Can consider a traitor cause she left when she is popular)

Bryan Wong (Together with Quan, Liang, Kym, he is the most irritating gay-like artiste. Can't stand the sight of him. Noisy and arrogant too. Critisize MCS a lot too. No looks, lousy acting and hosting skills. Left when popular. What MCS see in him? Mad? Take back a rubbish.)

Ericia Lee (Can't stand her. Sell sex appeal only. Basically a bimbo that is good for nothing)

Wang Yanqing (Old and fat.) News broadcaster need people like Dong Suhua and Caiying got good appeal)

Lina Ng (Bad looks, irritating appeal no x-factor since lack or popularity so why ask her back?)

Evelyn Tan (Pregnant and fat. I dislike her very fake. Irritating too. Remember she was the fifth Ah Jie and MCS used to groomed her like mad even released albums and made her so popular but she left at her peak. Can consider a big traitor. Sack lah)

Chew Huoy Min (Going downhill fate is sack!)

Ann Poh (OMG she shouldn't exist in the first place! Disgusting bimbo)

Chen Huihui (Good acting but too bad left MCS due to sourgrape reasons. If MCS want her back if she accept she will be label as thick skined)

Cherie Lim (old and rusty)

Liu Qiulian (Critisize MCS immediately when she jumped ship. Can't stand her too. old-but-act-like-some-sexy-woman.

Wang Liuyan (Who the heck small fry sack lah)

Bernard Tan (Basically he don't have any chances in mediaworks as well. Take him in is equal as wasting money)

Darren Seah (Can't even speak chinese. He is just a guest in mediaworks anyway)

Cynthia Lee (Act extra roles sack lah)

Steph Song (Jumped ship cause want higher pay but end up getting no exposure also bad attitude sack lah)

Li Wenhai (Old and rusty)

Hu Bing (This china man is disgusting should sack him!)

Those who are ok to stay. They are:

Adam Chen (Since MCS lack of young actors)

Apple Hong (Her appeal is suitable for many roles)

Eelyn Kok (ok. talent not yet discovered)

Darren Lim (he can perform many dangerous stunts for charity shows)

Adrian Pang (well, no comments but he don't ever dream of taking over Gurmit! Gurmit is non-replacable)

Lynn Poh (Pretty, overall pretty good. Lack of chances in MCS that's why jumped ship. Can groom and give more roles)

Ix Shen (Honest appeal but so-so acting)

Constance Song (Not bad looking, suitable for most roles)

Ben Yeo (Since MCS lack young actors)

Those who are basically unknown or I have seen them before but don't know their names or maybe only know their chinese names.They are:

Wang Ailing (Who's that?)

Helen Cheung (Who's that?)

Adrian Lim (Who's that?)

Benjamin Heng ( Who?)

David Leong (Who?)

D|ck Su (Who?)

Johnson Low (Who?)

Xavier Teo (Who?)

Wymen Yong (Who?)

Catherine Tan (Who?)

Pamela Oei (Who?)

Those who I don't know who can provide their chinese names?

Those who are sacked but ought to be given a chance back are:

Shaun Chen (Man, MCS should take him back! Good-looking, acting improved and got x-factor. Since MCS lack of young actors he's the one!)

Peter Yu (Good acting, quite ok looking but character wise not too good but better than Bryan Wong a thousands time should sack Bryan and take him in MCS)
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Frankly speaking? I agree with SOME of them.

But I don't think Chen Huihui left as a sour grape, probably for the sake of a fresh experience. She finally clinched the award last year, didn't she?

personally, i will like to see bryan goes.

Quote Originally Posted by summersakura
    Frankly speaking? I agree with SOME of them.

But I don't think Chen Huihui left as a sour grape, probably for the sake of a fresh experience. She finally clinched the award last year, didn't she?
    SOME of them though, sounded really childish and sour themselves.

And yes, I don't think Huihui left sour too. It's quite shocking yet not that surprising when Mediacorp decided to drop her. They never really cared much for her, did they? For years whenever she's nominated for Best Supporting Actress award or something, she mostly deserves the award because she's really good at her roles. However she never ever got it until last year. >.<
    Join us at The Mandate RPG!
    Join the Discussion thread for The Mandate RPG!
    Quote Originally Posted by athlee View Post
    DZC - "Your wife and I, we are old friends."

Quote Originally Posted by Kwok_Jing
    [b]this post was created by whoareyou from Mediacorp Forum

did u agree with this , please help to reply

Those who deserved a sack. They are :
    I'm more interested in what's your opinion.

From Mediacorpn. forum:

jtan
    Extra

Talent
    In business sense, big corporation should recruit artistes based on talents which is exactly the right direction adopted worldwide including Singapore. Talent takes top priority over work attitude and behaviour which over time can be guided and nurtured after stern warnings.
    Not many actors and actresses in Channel 8 are talented, many of them need vast improvement. Do the Mediacorpn management scrutinize their acting by watching all their artistes over the screen? Some of the existing artistes are so fake and artificial in their acting and yet they continue to act and further grooming them like they are some big stars & still no improvement from year to year. Some has good sexy looks but their acting is so childish and fake. These are the ones which should be replaced by the talented ones but unfortunately Mediacorpn chose not to select them from MediaWorks. It is so clear-cut and obvious about their sensitiveness by getting personal in the handling of the staff selection. Personality problems amongst them should not be the reason for choice over marketable talented artistes.
    They should get assessments, appraisals or feedbacks either from the public or those in film and drama productions on the performance of their Channel 8 stars.
    Changing Lanes, drama by Channel U was a very good example to show who are the talented actors & actresses. It is questionable on how their criteria was based on but disappointingly they rather chose a newly raw recruit from MediaWorks, which many has not heard of over some who has shown good performance in acting.
    No offence and without prejudice, take this feedback as a constructive criticism.

--------------------------------
    09-12-2004 06:05 PM

Yami Joey
    Star Awards

Re: Talent
    wow...very long lehz..haha..so are u sayin that some artistes from mediaWorks are better than artistes from mediacorp lahz..

tHe ChaMpiOn rAWkZ

TorO..FiOna..JEanEtte..yUwU..Ju|iaN..yaN Xing ShU..

----------------------------
    09-12-2004 06:08 PM

jtan
    Extra

No one channel has the best or the worst - there are some bad and some good in all channels.
    Normally in all companies, they always invest on the best talent which can be easily identified after few performances. Through experiences, recruiting talented staff is the most difficult task and to lose them is a huge loss to affect the company's performance.
    Judge for yourself, this is only my personal view that big corporation are subject to public scrutiny and matters should be conducted based on justification not whom you like or dislikes.
    I am a pure believer in fairness and give credit when due, personality and playing politics should never be entertained.

Didn't watch Changing Lanes... my friend says its not bad but a few things very obviously ripped off. E.g. the part about heart from Summer Scent, the twins thingy from Mars.. I always liked Ann Kok though. Glad she's staying..

any translation of the news, please. thx

Quote Originally Posted by wuchang
    Updated list.

Offered a transfer to MediaCorp TV Holdings

1. Adam Chen
    2. Michelle Chia
    3. Celest Chong
    4. Quan Yifeng
    5. Guo Liang
    6. Apple Hong
    7. Hu Bing
    8. Eelyn Kok
    9. Ann Kok
    10. Ezann Lee
    11. Darren Lim
    12. Kym Ng
    13. Wang Ailing
    14. Adrian Pang
    15. Lynn Poh
    16. Ix Shen
    17. Constance Song
    18. Bryan Wong
    19. Ben Yeo
    20. Helen Cheung

Offered a position at SPH

1. Wang Yanqing (Print)
    2. Lina Ng (Marketing)
    3. Evelyn Tan (Circulation)
    4. Chew Huoy Miin (Print)

Artists out of work

1. Ann Poh
    2. Chen Huihui
    3. Ericia Lee
    4. Cherie Lim
    5. Liu Qiulian
    6. Wang Liuyan
    7. Adrian Lim
    8. Bernard Tan
    9. Benjamin Heng
    10. David Leong
    11. Darren Seah
    12. Dick Su
    13. Johnson Low
    14. Li Wenhai
    15. Shaun Chen
    16. Peter Yu
    17. Xavier Teo
    18. Wymen Yong

Artists on retainer who were not offered a transfer

1. Catherine Tan
    2. Cynthia Lee
    3. Pamela Oei
    4. Steph Song

Very obvious that Mediacorp is petty. Li Wenhai, Chen Huihui and Liu Qiulian all got kicked out. All three were around since the days of SBC. All are superb actors. Such depth of experience is hard to replace. Now I worry about those that who got transfered over to the new company. Will they be given a chance to shine??

This is disgusting. Yes I am

My only comfort is knowing even the more experience ones are being let go! I mean what the hell is this? But I doubt this is the last we hear or see from Shaun. There's still that TVB series coming up and like I think Wuchang who said or someone that there will be other independent productions. I have seen worse actors than Shaun still surviving and later making a name for themselves.

I agree, it is vendetta. This is the time for revenge and I dislike the fact that MediaWorks just agree to all that. Offering a second chance to many and then merging and then dumping them!

I doubt Shaun will be back in Malaysia. There is always options... I am sure of it. So far any interviews of those not offered a contract?
    PointEntertainment @ http://point2e.com [all about Reviews.Comments.Opinions].

Can someone do a translation on the articles posted by Wuchang? Especially on Shaun? You know I am beginning to realise perhaps MEdiaCorp is very thin skinned you know, maybe this is their way of saying "I can crush you". Much like TVB. But at least TVB knows when not to waste a good talent.

I am very very disappointed. I have fever but now I feel like I am burning!
    PointEntertainment @ http://point2e.com [all about Reviews.Comments.Opinions].

Not like Mediaworks is any better. Last time they tried to pull Chew Chor Meng over but he didn't leave. Then at that time i think he had some issues with Mediacorp. Is it something to do with radio? Then the SPH press kept harping on it. Shrugs.

Moneygrubbing and holding grudges just don't match. Look at all of Shaun Chen's fans. Pity to let him go..

I hope we can have another Tv channel opening up soon~
    Really, cannot stand mediacrop productions, they sux!
    Zhang JunBao--->WuDang

I just came back from melb for a 2 week coz and yet... i was disappointed with the ending for yi xin ren.. n worse still... shaun got kick out

I donoe if he left for that reason abt the contract...acording to mi frenz...it was mostly because of the jeanette aw's complaint that he was too touchy during holland v... nobody noes how true this is... no offence to her fans though...but y din ann kwok, ann poh or even wang ai ling who has kissing scenes with him complain at all? i donoe...all of us are just too shocked...and upset at the same time.. he went to hk to film a show?

I wasnt into him during holland v... but his performance at yi xin ren really showed that he's of acting calibre... n now... wat can he do? being sacked twice and not even offering him a temp contract... Im sad that it seems like he can nv return to singapore's showbiz... perhaps he will go back to mal to fa zhang? but i doubt he will make it big there too...

perhaps some agent company should sign him on ... he's one potential rising star that shd not be thrashed aside like this....

even pple like chen huihui, yanqing... i mean... we all have eyes to see wats going on... im boycotting channel 8... havent been watching much of their shows since channel u existed anyway...

mediacorp only retrenched 4 artistes... but they are all from star search... then wats ur purpose of having star search in the first placE???

Huang ding rong kana kicked out oso? i donoe wats mediacorp thinking... they serisouly not giving huo lu to pple like shaun.....

awww....we'll nv see him again? anyone from his fan club? is there a way that he can mit his fans up before he leaves singapore (if he really does?) though i hope he will stay here... heard that he's a PR?

i donoe..but if i were some other production company, i wont let such a talent go to waste.. mediacorp has to realise that even though they are the monopoly here... they arent providing international class artistes...

is there anyway we can complain though i noe its useless.. or at least write something for those who were retrenched? i think words of encouragement would be the least we can do... just tht channel u webby isnt functiioning anymore except for the timetable....
    Last edited by sotona; 12-09-04 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by eyeo
    any translation of the news, please. thx
    I'll just translate the parts about Shaun. The rest of the articles are similar to what's being reported in the english press. Surprising, they didn't write much about Shaun.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img23.exs.cx/img23/9008/shaunmich3lm.th.jpg')

Couple 1

Shaun Chen and Michelle Chia

After many days of waiting, Channel U's sexy babe Michelle Chia finally got an answer. She received a big envelope - new contract offered.

Although she is fortunate to crossover to Mediacorp TV, her rumoured boyfriend, Shuan Chen is not as lucky. Yesterday, this reporter tried calling them. Michelle's phone diverted all calls to her voice mailbox. Shaun's phone rang but no one answered it.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img23.exs.cx/img23/7526/xinmin0bi.th.jpg')

(The small blurb on the left)

Shaun Chen :

Contacted Shaun Chen who just came back from filming in Hong Kong. He was reluctant to talk much, only saying that he was mentally prepared for the outcome. When pressed on the possible reasons for that, he declined comment.

When told that many viewers expressed regret that he was retrenched, he replied with a thank you.

As Shaun Chen is not a Singaporean PR, does it mean that he will be returning to Malaysia soon? " I don't have any plans yet. I'll see loh." was the reply from Shaun.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/mnt/media/image/launched/2004-12-08/yeworks-232334.jpg')

http://newpaper.asia1.com.sg/top/sto...79063,00.html?

MEDIA MERGER HITS STARS
    Hugs, tears & future plans

By Wendy Teo
    [email protected]
    , and Yeoh Wee Teck
    [email protected]
    -- THE STRAITS TIMES

THE size of the envelope separated those who got retrenched and those who crossed over to MediaCorp.

As each MediaWorks person walked out of the office of their head-of-department, others waiting outside gestured with their hands, silently asking: 'Big or small?'

The ones with small envelopes were greeted by hugs because that meant they hadn't survived the media merger. Big envelopes meant they would move on to MediaCorp.

In all, 429 Singapore Press Holdings (SPH) staff, most from MediaWorks, were affected in the staff rationalisation exercise yesterday. It followed the agreement between SPH and MediaCorp to merge their mass market TV and free newspaper operations.

Two hundred were transferred to MediaCorp, 97 absorbed by SPH and 132 were retrenched.

At MediaCorp, 72 staff members were retrenched. Four actors from their pool of 85 were let go when their contracts expired earlier this year.

They were Star Search alumni Cheryl Chin, Hu Wensui, Huang Shiyu and Shi Bin.

At MediaWorks, 22 of the 42 artistes were let go, including Asian Television Awards 2004 Best Comedy Actress nominee Pamela Oei, Benjamin Heng, Chen Hui Hui, Liu Qiu Lian and Li Wen Hai.

But when it came to the couples in the stable, one would survive the cut and the other wouldn't.

Quan Yifeng is on the 'in' list but not husband Peter Yu. Darren Lim is crossing over to MediaCorp but not wife Evelyn Tan, and Ericia Lee is seeing both boyfriend Ix Shen and sister Ezann getting offers from the other side.

# Couple 1: Darren Lim and Evelyn Tan

Before they walked into the MediaWorks office yesterday, Darren and Evelyn had said a prayer in their car.

Darren said: 'It's very difficult, but we told ourselves that no matter what happens, we will follow whatever has been arranged for us.'

The couple, who are expecting their first baby (a girl they've named Kristen) in January, were mentally prepared.

Evelyn, 29, said: 'I've been prepared for the worst since September so I was expecting anything. I'm happy that Darren was recognised for his hard work.

'I don't regret coming over to MediaWorks because it's like a family here, something I've not felt in MediaCorp. I've had a glorious four years - I've done everything from being on radio, acting, hosting, reading the news and even being an extra (she had one non-speaking role in 0)!

'My only sorrow now is that I don't have a platform to continue my pursuits for my supporters.'

She was one of the four who were offered alternative positions in SPH, but Evelyn is not taking up the offer.

She said: 'I've been offered a post in Circulation but the job doesn't call out to me, so I'm opting for retrenchment. Now, my priority is my family and my child. Motherhood changes your priority. I've always wanted to try out a career in education.'

# Couple 2: Ix Shen and Ericia Lee

They deny they're a couple but their body language suggests otherwise.

The first sight of them leaving the MediaWorks office was of a sobbing Ericia, comforted gently by Ix.

'I was surprised Ericia didn't make it,' said Ix. 'She's all right now, just tired.'

Ericia, 27, was nominated for Best Newcomer and Most Popular Female Artiste in the Star Awards 2000 when she quit MediaCorp to join MediaWorks.

Of Ix making it, she said: 'I'm really happy for him.'

Her 22-year-old sister Ezann - who became a MediaWorks artiste only in June - also made it. 'I'm very happy for her too. This is what she wants,' Ericia said.

Ix, 33, said he felt fortunate that he is crossing over. 'It is a relief after the announcement because at least that's the end of the uncertainty.'

Ix begins rehearsals for the Renci Charity Show on Jan 9 at MediaCorp soon. 'In a way, that's already starting work there,' he said.

And Ericia has a vacation on her mind.

Laughing, she said: 'I want to go to Greece and it'll be a luxurious trip - especially since I've just got some money!'

# Couple 3: Ben Yeo and Ann Poh

They may not be a real-life couple but both Ben and Ann were discovered on the same variety show, Snap!

Ann was singing karaoke with MediaWorks colleagues when we called.

She sounded her usual cheerful self, saying: 'Any changes in life might not always be bad. Life goes on, you know.'

Becoming an actress was just a teenage dream for the 28-year-old, until she was discovered on the Channel U game show in 2002.

And, since then, Ann's most unforgettable moment at MediaWorks was when she was offered a full-time artiste contract.

She said: 'I will always remember looking at Mr Man (Shu Sam, MediaWorks' chief operating officer) and him asking me 'Do you trust me? If you do, sign the contract.'

'And I didn't hesitate. I've never seen a boss like him, who is so concerned for his employees.'

While Ann is not bitter about being retrenched, she is disappointed that she wasn't given the opportunity to go further.

'I feel as though I'm still at the periphery of my dream, I haven't achieved it yet, and now I have to let go. My dream is to be an actress, but so far I've only been doing variety, so that doesn't count as fulfilling my dream.'

She had not told her husband yet, as he was in Taiwan on business, but said she would help him out with his jewellery business, until she finds something else.

But Ann hasn't given up on her dream. 'If the chance comes again, I will still grab it.'

Ben was filming the show Yummy Yummy in Hong Kong when we called.

'Mr Man called me with the news. I'm surprised that Ericia, Shaun (Chen) and Lina (Ng) are not crossing. Ann too. I don't know how they chose whom they wanted but if it was up to me, I would want everybody to cross over,' he said.

Ben, 26, was surprised that he got in, because he had been prepared to be dropped.

He said: 'I called a few of my colleagues to get updates. I'm in Hong Kong now and I want to call some of my colleagues to comfort them, but I don't know what to say and I don't know how to help.'

All i can sae is that its really heartwrenching to see what's happening..whether i like the artistes or not...

A retrenchment is always one of the harder things for anyone to handle.. esp in showbiz..u r practically telling the whole country that u r out of job.. its an emotion thats just so.... difficult to put into words..

Anyway, hereby i wish all those who were retrenched to be able to get on their feet soon and not let this incident pose an obstacle to them pursuing their dreams...or any other lines that they will want to go into..

N thanks for all those who post the news and translations for us.. keep it going

Thanks Wuchang for the postings. I feel sad for those retrenched.... very sad.... it's true... it's heartwrenching, whether I like them or not...

I'm speechless...

"We set out to change the world... ended up just changing ourselves."
    "What's wrong with that?"
    "Nothing, if you don't look at the world."