Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: War And Beauty 《金枝慾孽》

o yea forgot to mention it but i really liked maggie and moses song that they played with the flute like thing
    Inferno's TVB Blog - Come visit my blog with TVB series thoughts, reviews, analysis, and more!

this series is pretty good, from my perspective...-agree...REALLY evil....
    i think that this series actually "starts" at chap. 13...y? cuz charmaine and gigi both realise the actual character of each other. (kinda like the trigger event....from eng class....lol (if u know what i'm saying))
    i find it kinda cute when charmaine is jealous of how bowie is treating the gway fei so nicely....
    but what i find kinda funny is how the concubines dont really care about the king(like who he is, what he looks like, etc.)..they just want the power
    favorite series: twin of brothers, triumph in the skies, survivor's law, aqua heros, pearl princess 1/2/3, net deception, dreams of colour, my date with a vampire 1/2/3, ISWAK

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno323
    o yea forgot to mention it but i really liked maggie and moses song that they played with the flute like thing
    me too~~!! i think it's really cool XP XP the BGM and theme songs are really nice too!

Quote Originally Posted by Inferno323
    the empress/queen ordered maggies grandmother to be killed? hm... she seemed like a good person... was there some reason/"fu Chong"?

anyways my favorite characters are definately maggie and sheren.... Im not as interested in charmaine or gigi.......... yet

btw got a question for the history ppl... hm... does this series depict the true nature of the rivalry between concubines in the qing dynasty? was it really that ugly in the palace? everyone was against everyone else? And if it was... was it this bad in all the dynasties or was it just in the qing dynasty?
    the empress is one evil lady herself

ok.. so the good women list goes from 3 to 2 lol... only maggie and jade are left unless.... they turn evil too! lol
    Inferno's TVB Blog - Come visit my blog with TVB series thoughts, reviews, analysis, and more!

Default A fine web of power and betrayal

I've been catching up till episode 6 and I must say I am highly impressed with the developement of the story. I have always been a fan of Sheren Tang and seeing her in this evil potrayal is making my skin tingle and my blood boil. I simply love the scene when she stormed into Chan Fei's room and admonished her ghost spirit for causing all the disturbances. Wow! What a scene!

I still have not found out the reason why the cast has been dramatically changed from the time tvb shows the trailers. I was expecting to see Ada Choi and Maggie Siu but when the series came out, there was an overhaul of the original cast sans Bowie Lam.

No complains though since I truly enjoyed all the casting so far, especially Maggie Cheung. She is superb and a joy to watch. I read somewhere that she act through her eyes and that can't be more true. Crossing my fingers to see her getting ******ier* ....

As for Charmaine and Gigi, ugh, not a big fan of both of them, since I think their potrayal at the moment is less superior to Maggie and Sheren. I know Gigi will get more evil as the story develops and i've seen her in evil roles before and she did a good job. Charmaine is still like a small chick whom have yet to fully develop so I will watch closely as her charater develops. So far, her small voice and mannerism is difficult to tolerate.

Btw, if anyone knows of why the sudden change in casting, please do let me know ... I have heard numerous versions of the stories from Charmaine Seh stealing the role from Ada Choi to money problems from TVB is paying the original cast....

Shed some lights pls...

Agree with what Yufeifei said, except that I don't really mind Charmaine's voice. Not impressed with her acting, but I kind of like voice.

Yea agree with yufeifei.. love sheren and maggie and not quite interested in gigi or charmaine... as for the change in cast... hm... i think tvb does this once in a while dont know why though...

Realdeal, I also like charmaines voice... I liked it in perish in the name of love... but wait isnt that hewr only song? It could use some more force though

Exclamation Episode 15-16 spoilers

SPOILERS!!!
    Epi 15
    Gigi doesn't want to scar her own face, so Sheren told her she never want see her face anymore. Bowie reprimand Gigi, telling her to give up or else sooner or later she'll end up dead.
    (Ok, so Maggie know Gigi was two-face after all!) Maggie helped Gigi to write a letter to her mother, so that her mother won't get worried of her condition. Maggie asked Siu Luk Zhi to pass the letter to Chan Song because she wants to avoid Moses.
    Boh Sin overherad Maggie's conversation and plots to steal the letter from Moses, but were stopped in time. Chan Song has a crush on Boh Sin, and she took advantage of this fact.
    Moses finds Maggie and tells her that he wanted to be friends, and he is willing to help her. Maggie was touched.
    That nite, during his shift Moses rescued Boh Sin who was bitten by snake (poison). Boh Sin was touched and fell for Moses as well.
    Mdm Lau ask Bowie to pass a letter containing a bad "chim" (err sorry, dun know how to say) to Charmaine. Eunuch Chui wants Charmaine to think her sister is already dead. Bowie was reluctant but agrees because he wanted to save both of Charmaine & Jade's life.
    Charmaine, thinking her sister was dead, refused to sleep at night, hoping to watch the stars (she believe ppl will turn into star after death). Sheren tells Charmaine she will be allowed to serve the emperor after Mid-autumn festival.
    Bowie gave Charmaine a moving night lamp (which emits lights like stars in the dark). Charmaine was extremely moved.
    Bowie found out from Maggie that Gigi wanted money not for herself, but to her mother who was staying in the city. Jade advises Charmaine to forget Bowie (Jade doesn't know who Charmaine was referring to) because she is emperor's woman.
    Charmaine wanted to know whether Bowie really likes her, but get dissapointed because Bowie was nice to Gigi. She decided to forget Bowie and serve the emperor...

Epi16
    Charmaine pretends to be happy after serving the emperor. Sheren was pissed because the Empress wanted to take Charmaine under her wings. Therefore, she set a trap to test Charmaine's loyalty.
    Eunuch Chui tell Charmaine to use this incident to get rid of Sheren. Charmaine test Boh Sin who tried to tell her tales of curse and voodoo. Charmaine imply to Bowie that from now on they should be keeping their distances.
    During the worshipping, Sheren tried to lure Charmaine into the trap but Charmaine see through it in the last minute. Sheren was satisfied with Charmaine's action.
    Bowie noticed Jade was making fur hand gloves for Charmaine and asked Jade to make another pair for Gigi. Charmaine overheard this and feel jealous. She stormed to Gigi's place and tortured (mentally & physically) Gigi.
    Moses told Maggie that her grandmother will be arriving in two days. Maggie was overjoyed but troubled as well becoz she has no money to bribe the eunuches. To help her, Moses forsake the money originally intended to buy a higher post to help her.
    Maggie & her grandmother were united and Moses arranged for her to stay at a nearby monastery. Maggie thanked Moses and accepted his friendship. Boh Sin gave Moses some dim sum but Moses gave her a cold shoulder, while Chan Song gave her a jade.
    Moses found Maggie's grandma corpse on the mountain after she went missing. Maggie was shocked and unable to accept the truth. She went on sewing the quilt for her grandma. Boh Sin; angry at Maggie tore the quilt. Maggie snapped and slapped her, causing herself to be punished. Moses consoled Maggie...

p.s. just rented 17-18 today, better go home early n watch

can u all pls help me i don't know go to what websites to download the new series "war and beauty"...?anyway thank you
    Last edited by dora_lok; 09-15-04 at 10:13 AM.

OP OP OPohh better keep up the spoilers man with 17 and 18 cacacacs

Exclamation Episode 17-18 summary ***SPOILERS***

Epi 17
    Charmaine received the fur gloves from Bowie and tried to warn him not to trust Gigi. Because Maggie fainted, Gigi send eunuch to call Bowie to her place. Charmaine is upset and stormed to Gigi's place. Seeing Bowie gave the same fur gloves to Gigi as well, Charmaine returned hers to Bowie.

The Empress promoted Maggie back to her original post and allowed her to send her grandma's ashes away. Maggie was overjoyed. Moses told Maggie she should look for someone she could depend on (hint ) Gigi's mother begged Maggie to look after Gigi and do not inform Gigi abt her current bad condition.

Maggie, upset at Gigi for giving up on herself, scold Gigi and ask her to choose whether she wanted to stay like this forever or become a powerful concubine. After a long thought, Gigi chooses the latter.

Boh Sin found out that Chan & Moses needed money to buy a higher rank job. She suggested to steal some jewelleries and passed them to Chan. Unfortunately, they were discovered and Boh Sin dropped the jade Chan gave her.

Boh Sin begged Moses to take her away but Moses rejected her. Boh Sin finally realise her mistake and threaten to harm Chan. Before both of them could do anything, Chan was arrested for smuggling items out of the palace.

Because of the jade, rumors began flying that Sheren had affair with a Taoist (the jade owner). The empress took advantage of this and forced Boh Sin to lie that Sheren had another man. Boh Sin refused. Sheren came and rescued Boh Sin from the empress. Feeling guilty, Boh Sin confessed the truth to Sheren. Sheren was angry so much that she beat Boh Sin.

Eunuch Chui wanted to take advantage of this to harm Sheren so he ordered Charmaine to kill Boh Sin (by poison). Charmaine gave the poisoned man tau to Boh Sin but change her mind after knowing Boh Sin did this all for a man who didn't love her (reminded her of Bowie). She will help Boh Sin to escape from the palace. Later in the night, Charmaine failed to find Boh Sin drowned in the pond....

Epi 18
    Charmaine was shocked and terrified seeing Boh Sin corpse. She calms down and throws the jewelleries next to the pond (she originally intended to give those to Boh Sin to help her escape) and screams for help.

The next day Charmaine pretended to be traumatised in front of the Empress and Sheren. The empress hinted that Sheren killed Boh Sin, while Sheren denied by claiming that Boh Sin might have commited suicide because of guilt. The empress suggested that Charmaine be temporarily moved to Emperor's residence for her own safety.

The emperor was suspicious of Boh Sin died after Charmaine hinted that she could be murdered. He think Sheren is hiding something from him so he started to distrust here. He also decided to promote Charmaine to 'Kwai Yan' to 'help' Sheren look after the concubine palace. Sheren was dissapointed.

The emperor keep rejecting Sheren's gift and Eunuch Wong tell her that she's losing her power. The empress wanted to ruin all Sheren's follower and removed all Bowie's credibility. Ching Wah told Bowie the empress will destroy all her rivals.

Chan owed a lot of debts and got beaten up. he refused Moses' help because he thought Moses is the one who reported abt him. Chan begged Bowie to help him, to which Bowie agrees.

Since Sheren's power was weakened, Maggie asked Bowie to declare Gigi fit again. However, the Empress has also weakened Bowie credibility as a doctor. Maggie has an idea when she heard from Moses that the Emperor & Empress will be viewing the stars tonight. She told Gigi to start writing on the Hong Ming lantern by tonight. Bowie congratulates Gigi that she'll regain her status soon.

sheren doesn't want to give up without a fight and drew paintings and scrolls for the emperor's health. The emperor was moved, much to empress dislikes. Gigi released the lantern and caught empress attention. Maggie told her to be patient...

p.s.

if u were thinking that Gigi changed for good, i'm sorry to dissappoint you all. because Gigi might be the one who murdered Boh Sin. I remember reading from the sypnosis that Maggie found out abt Gigi killed a maid later and truly realised how evil Gigi is (to the extent of cold blood murder)

At least Maggie doesn't intentionally kill Eunuch Ngok & nephew (though she was relieved - burning the red scarf)
    And Charmaine couldn't bring herself to kill Boh Sin either. But she has to help Eunuch Chui so she wanted send Boh Sin away.

Quote Originally Posted by sehseh
    Epi 17
    p.s.

if u were thinking that Gigi changed for good, i'm sorry to dissappoint you all. because Gigi might be the one who murdered Boh Sin. I remember reading from the sypnosis that Maggie found out abt Gigi killed a maid later and truly realised how evil Gigi is (to the extent of cold blood murder)

At least Maggie doesn't intentionally kill Eunuch Ngok & nephew (though she was relieved - burning the red scarf)
    And Charmaine couldn't bring herself to kill Boh Sin either. But she has to help Eunuch Chui so she wanted send Boh Sin away.
    Thanks for the summaries seh seh.

I agree with you totally. Gigi might be Bo Sin's killer. But why did she kill her? To frame Sheren?

Anyway, I don't have a very good impression of Gigi's Yuk Ying. She's too arrogant and overconfident, which also makes her very careless. I hope she changes real fast cos the cat fight between the five (Maggie, Sheren, Charmaine, gigi and Rebecca) is coming up.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Thanks seh seh . when will you watch the next 2 episodes? looking forward to your review.....
    epi 17 , 18 still not available in my video shop.

btw where can we access the synopsis of the whole series?

thanks

THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR THE SPOILERS

and do any of you guys know or have the lyrics to the theme songs? thanks

could someone move the spoilers over to the episode guide section

Spoilers

Ep 16 is interesting.. Ru Fei is trying to test Charmaine's loyalty by having the servant girl "accidentally" reveal that Ru Fei is going to put a curse on the Empress. Charmaine's godfather tells her to reveal this secret to the Empress in an attempt to ruin Ru Fei.

At Ru Fei's daughter's birth ceremony.. Charmaine has an opportunity to do as her godfather says. But after seeing the embroidered horses on the baby's blanket.. and remembering that the priests had said that horses were bad luck for the baby.. Charmaine realized that Ru Fei is not a superstitious person and that the curse was just a way to test Charmaine.

At least that's what I got from the first part of the ep. What do you guys think?

is this series worth watching?

yea its really good... i love it

Quote Originally Posted by fortress_maximus
    could someone move the spoilers over to the episode guide section
    Notify the moderator. I'm sure she'll deal with it promptly.