Page 3 of 41 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: War And Beauty 《金枝慾孽》

Default feedback so far

I'm watching it now........So far, the plot is very good. You know how in Legendary Lady Yang, the interesting part is when Florence plays trick on Melissa and Anne? You know how in Happily Ever After, the most inresting part is the uproar of Kwong Wa's concubines--Nnadia and Hong Wah, etc.? Well, this series takes all the interesting parts of concubines fuels and pour into one. So from the get-go you already get the coniving, fighting going on. The guys are clearly supporting characters, now they know what it is like to be actresses, who, too often support for guys-leading series.

Performances are great so far, Sheren is extremely wonderful in her already-evil role. While everybody else is still somewhat innocent, this may suggests power=seduction of evilness. Anyway, Maggie is still a maid but her performance is already wonderful. Maggie is one of those actresses who acts from within, she doesn't imitate characters but be characters. She often draws out in her performance a past and when looking On Sin at in the first 3 episodes, you can understand her story without anybody telling you what happened. I'm most anticipated on when she becomes evil, which already exist, but she doesn't use it. Charmaine is tolerable, I supposed, but her voice is too much a distraction. I'm sorry but her chicken-scratched voice still isn't tolerable. She actually does well in quiet, calm, cool role like this, but it's still very stated instead of felt. Know what I mean? Like she's supposed to be calm, cool, collected and has an agenda and she plays it based on these adjectives, but I can't feel it through the performance, not yet anyway. Gigi.......um, she's very beautiful and is great to look at her but boy, is she one annoying b*tch. I know she's supposed to be pretentious and will be very evil later, but she's not setting a foundation right now. I hope she doesn't expect us to believe she could go from ultra innocent to ultra evil in 30 episodes. If I have to place my bet on the BEST ACTRESS Award this year as of now, I'm going with Sheren and Maggie. Sheren probably has the edge over Maggie right now because her role is so cool.

Originally posted by om369
    If this series is supposedly to follow history...it will end up having ALL BUT ONE live to tell this story.

I think this story is supposedly to be about Tze Hay.

We the public shall see.
    No, it's not based on Tze Hay...or Cixi, as probably written.
    But it is loosely based on all accounts during the Qing dynasty, as stated by TVB. So undoubtedly, the series borrowed tales of Cixi, most recognizably is Maggie's story. Cixi was a upper clas maid, aka third class concubine when she entered the palace. And after suffering from abuses from eunches and first class concubines--fei, as well as second class concubines--sau nui, kwai yan, etc. she determines to seduce the emperor and steps on everybody else to secure her power.

Talking

I like Maggie's role in here ;D And Charmaine being evil, that's a start, maybe I'll like her after all. :P Don't like Gigi's character, too whiny. Can't wait to see mooooore
    You seem so out of context in this gaudy apartment complex...
    A stranger with your doorkey explaining that I am just visiting
    And I am finally seeing why I was the one worth leaving...

I think after eps 6, some of you will change your perspective on some of the characters, and maybe even the actresses themselves. If anything, I think Charmaine and Gigi actually outshines Sheren and Maggie in this series so far.

everyone is talking about the four main actresses in the series. How about Jade ? I know she is a nice concubine
    but how come I still haven't seem her in the first 5 episode?

when will she show up and what is her role??

a little island east of america and west of europe

Hello there,

I have moved litchi's summary posts into a separate thread and put this into the Episode Guide's forum to avoid spoiling it for other people who are reading this thread and haven't yet watched the show and also to provide reference for people who are looking for the summaries. (Although a slip of the hand means that it is residing in Fan Fictions forum for the time being....)

ok............now i reaaaaaaaaaallllllly wanna watch dis show.haih.....

Talking

I finished episode six, wow, I can see that Gigi's getting evil already, that's terrific ^^ I can't wait to see more of the feud between Gigi and Charmaine...and I wonder when Maggie will get closer to Moses, kekekeke.

Jade, I can't wait for her appearance, I don't remember where I've seen her before but she's cool...

Gah Sheren ish so evil...

So who dies and who lives?

i think all the women died? but im not sure
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Originally posted by maymoo
    I finished episode six, wow, I can see that Gigi's getting evil already, that's terrific ^^ I can't wait to see more of the feud between Gigi and Charmaine...and I wonder when Maggie will get closer to Moses, kekekeke.

Jade, I can't wait for her appearance, I don't remember where I've seen her before but she's cool...

Gah Sheren ish so evil...
    I also finished episode six. Hehe, guess we both have the DVD version on hand.

Jade has been in Burning Flame and A Matter of Customs. She looks pretty in the opening theme. Wonder when she's gonna show up.

Sheren does a fantastic job. Gigi and Charmaine don't do nearly as well. Charmaine needs to work on her vocals a bit. She doesn't sound evil at all.

Anyway, so far I'm quite happy with this serial.

Default WAB is great

SPOILERS BELOW!!!

so far i've just watched till episode 4 (i just rented episode5-6 today, haven't got to watch them yet) and the 4 ladies performances was great!

Sheren was evil from the beginning, she has a very threatening presence on-screen. Thumbs up to Sheren, her acting was great! Now she is still arrogant and mean, but later ***SPOILERS*** when she was 'defeated' by Gigi and she lost her status and had her baby taken away by the Empress, we will she the softer side of her with Moses. Plus, she has a reason for being mean, she once has a pregnancy which 'abruply ended' when she ate some desserts given by the Empress. No wonder she nearly freaks out when the Empress offered her desserts, tea & oil in episode 4!

For Maggie, her character is very pleasant & nice, sympathetic and smart. She's very articulate and have good relationships with other maids & eunuch in the palace. Too bad Gigi realized this and manipulate her to assist her in becoming a powerful concubine. Maggie realize how evil Gigi was and the only way to escape her clutches was to become a powerful concubine. I'm hoping we can get to the part where Maggie will be blinded with revenge, coz i'm little bored of impossibly kind hearted ppl.

Charmaine is also doing great. Though she is openly evil and cunning from the start, she doesn't have much choice. She carries herself with self restraint and thus has a rather 'tame' image. At current level she's just resorting to small tricks, but later in the series i believe she will unleash her evilness because of Bowie-Gigi. This is because she was still torn between good and evil, she has three soft spot: 1. Her god-father, Eunuch Chui - too bad, he died later 2. Her 2 adopted sisters - their relationship was close, but Suk Ling turned against them for her own benefits 3. Her long lost sister - still missing, dunno if she will turn up or not. After these 3 factor was eliminate, then she will truly be evil.

Gigi. Hmmm.. alot of ppl commented her character was loud and annoying, but this was her character false front. She seems innocent but she was really evil. In fact, it was hinted from the beginning. This arguably is the most dangerous character, because she was willing to take risk and be harmed by Sheren & Charmaine to loosen their guard and the strikes back using other ppl's hand (je dou sat yan - killing with another's hand). The only setback to her character was she was arrogant & corrupt after she became a powerful concubine, she neglected Maggie & Charmaine's presence.

As for the male cast, their performance didn't really 'shine', arguably because this is a female oriented series. Nevertheless, we were able to perceive what kind of ppl they are early in the series.

Moses, he use to be kind-hearted, but the hardship of poverty molded him into an opportunitist, but also a bitter person, especially against well off or rich ppl like Bowie and the candidates. He only cared for his cousin and the ppl he deemed to be same condition as he was. He was also a romantic (LOL), he felt in love with Maggie and perhaps Sheren because of the embroidered handkerchief! I dunno much chinese, but seems like he misunderstood that Maggie is the one who made it, but then thought it could be also Sheren. Could someone correct me of this?

Bowie. He seems arrogant and confident (well, he IS) and hates his father for causing his mother death. But Bowie is a compassionate person, he still care for his father though he doesn't want to admit it. He is also intelligent and perceptive of other ppl mind, especially Gigi. He know she was really cunning but decided to play a game of 'mind' with her, falling in love with her, yet torn between his responsibility and compassion for Charmaine.

so far the series is good! I thought Gigi was being very naive but then there were hints that she is evil by her sudden change of expression at the end of the episode. I can't wait till she exposes her true evilness to the other people. Yea Charm doesn't look evil and her voice doesn't sound evil. lol but o well I guess it is a way to show that looks can be deceiving.

I think they choose the wrong person to be the king cuz he doesn't look very powerful but a kindred man which I think he is. I don't think he plays much of a big role in the movie so I guess it doesn't matter.

I can't believe the older sister of Charm would betray the youngest sister. That was cruel but what happens to the older sister later on?

I love the concubine's costumes especially Charm,Gigi, and Maggie like once they become concubines as seen in the theme song.

I thought the handkerchief was by Maggie but I don't know much about that yet, we will have to see.

I just saw the first 2 episodes and surprised it was good. I am not usually into drama where everybody dies & sad endings.

I thought that Charmaine was trully evil to let Gigi be caught and die. ALMOST every characther in here is evil. When seeing Moses his character reminds me so much of "Wai Siu Bo" from "Duke of Mount Deer." Always the oportunist and always gambling looking for money.

I do know once they mentioned in the second episode of "Wah Sun" then I definitely knew this was about Qian Loong's son & Hong Hey's father & mother. The in between story so to speak.

If I were in Maggie's position I would do the same thing also. She was in palace for so long that she do what she did to protect herself in not to get in trouble. The rule is that "after 10 years being in the palace and being maid and/or concubine...if the king does not see or met you yo should or can leave." Maggie did what she did to assure her status & MAYBE have a chance to finally leave.

I think it was Sheren who made it, but Moses misunderstood that Maggie made it. No offense, but a palace maid won't be able to afford a silk hankerchief.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

This is supposed to be a tragedy right?
    All the four main characters are evil. (maybe not from the beginning, but later on...)
    Good people are Bad people who don't get caught.

I think Maggie made it or they would not show her face when Moses said the handkerchef brought him luck. PLUS, when her good friend the eunich was combing her Maggie's hair he said something that Maggie always said and it was also sewn into the handkerchef.

ALSO it shows Moses hearing and learning the flute song that Maggie played.

I can not wait to see more of when Maggie is first noticed and put into being the king's concubine.

Talking

Aah, I saw episodes 7-10 yesterday; I'm glad Moses finally found out it was Maggie that made the handkerchief (; He's starting to have feelings for Maggie already, how cute. I think Moses + Maggie have some nice chemistry between them...

As for the Bowie-Gigi-Charmaine thing, I think Bowie + Charmaine have more chemistry than Bowie + Gigi...Gigi's just...not quite fitting to be his lover. o_o; In my opinion.

BY THE WAY, is there a significance to Jade's character in here?
    Last edited by maymoo; 09-03-04 at 11:07 AM.

Originally posted by maymoo

BY THE WAY, is there a significance to Jade's character in here?
    Yup. She's responsible for the change in Charmaine.
    "Better to write for yourself and have no public, than to write for the public and have no self."
    Cyril Connolly

Talking

Ooh cool.

I haven't seen Jade for a while now. I can't remember what series she was in...but she was a protagonist that fell in love with the antagonist, and they had a secret relationship...then I can't remember why but she died and he got so upset he learned all these crazy martial arts to honor her...

Anyways!

I can't wait to see the change in Charmaine, and I can't wait till Maggie becomes a concubine. And the make-up is really getting on my nerves now. They're so pale and then they have that super bright red on their lips. It makes them look painted up.