Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A film I made!

Default A Boring Story (A film I made!)

EDIT: My video, the Ultimate Script 'trailer' originally put up for download while I started this thread has been taken down.

I've put up 'A Boring Story' my entry for the short film competition organized by my university. Go download it, it's only 8.8mb, Quicktime format.

http://www.hooliness.com/swifty/downloads.htm#3
    Last edited by Eliar Swiftfire; 11-06-04 at 03:00 PM.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

|n A|3C's Heart 0=) Title: A|3C's #1 Fan!

Sorry this is not allowed admin please delete this thread thanks xXx
    Alyssa Lastest Series : ( Phantom lovers)

Fave Actresses : Alyssa , Ma su , Florance Tan , Gao Yuan Yuan , Jessica Hester Hsuan

Favourite Actors: Alec Su , Louis Koo , Aaron Kwok , Jimmy Lin

Oh? I'm allowed to talk about films made by others, but not films made by myself? I am utterly flabbergasted that I know so little about the rules here.
    Last edited by Eliar Swiftfire; 10-23-04 at 02:46 PM.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Dreamsky
    what's not allowed? I don't see what's wrong with it.

What isnt allowed? We arent allowed to show things we made?

Anywho.. im gonna be honest that wasnt super original but not bad.
    From watching the trailer i have to no idea what the film is about besides war. I think you should have used a better song. That song is more suited for a horror movie than a futuristic war movie.

So how is the film itself gonna be like?

Thanks!

Hehe, I tend to use music that really doesn't fit the images shown onscreen. It's more of a teaser. Wasn't too satisfied with this thingie, but it IS the first video I've ever made, haah!

I MIGHT attempt a longer trailer during the end of the year. Something that's 5-6 minutes. But I doubt I can actually shoot a movie like that!!!!
    Swifty, Writing

Your gonna film it yourself right.

Dont you need a team of people?

Well, considering that I'm just a penniless university student who is not even studying film (I'm majoring in Marketing and minoring in Literature), I totally lack the necessary tools to make some SFX extravaganza like the one in the teaser. The best thing I can do is snip and snip various scenes from different movies and put them together to tell something.

Otherwise, most of the stuff I make are typical low-budget indie stuff. I'll be uploading a 5 minute short I made for my uni's competition soon. That's why I just wanna make sure ppl have seen the Ultimate Script Teaser first before I take it down.

Swifty's Filmmaking Tools
    1) A digital camcorder
    2) Sony Vegas in his laptop
    3) Possible a digital camera borrowed from friends (I sometimes combine still photos with video footages)
    4) There's no four. The three above are his only tools.
    Swifty, Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Dreamsky
    Why can't it be allowed? I mean Eliar made the film and gots the right to do anything with it right?

I don't know why... but I think I'm starting to fall in love with this forum all over again.
    Swifty, Writing

Hmmm.... I too have made a couple of short films and movies using my camcorder, and a bunch of UNI mates who were totally wacked off thier brains at the time... Like our take off Monkey Magic, and Star Wars which we called "Stiff Wars", so Episode 3 is appropriately named...

A couple of the short films aren't bad and may uploaded them here when I get that dam mpeg converter...

Other stuff I have recorded using the camcorder remain strictly for 'private' viewing only...
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare

Default hi everybody

a bit off-topic. but anyone know how much filiming an wuxia series will cost? say heaven sword and dragon sabre. thks.

Well based on my movie making expierence.... My own short film, "The Stiff Wars" was 30 mins long, filmed at the Uni's bathroom. THe costs were as follows:

$400 - Camcorder
    $80 - for blank tapes to tape all of the scenes/actions required prior to editing.
    $50 - For hiring the Unis dodgy editing and chopping machine to take home and edit the scenes together.
    $20 - for the final tape of the movie
    $100 - covering the pints and acohol purchased for actors to convince them to participate in the project over 7 days.

So it costed roughly around $650 to make, though I may have forgotten something as I remember I was short pocketed something like $700 by the end of it.

Won 3rd Prize at the Uni Short-Films comp and won $400, so was actualy $300 loss by the end of it

SO HSDS is expected to be at least 20 thousand times better = $14 million dollars to make.

hi long

congrats on yr film winning awards.
    the 14 million is sure a lot of money. is it in US$ or A$? anyway, i think i can never ever sponsor such a show in singapore.

I think $14 million (US) to make HSDS is a cheap estimate.

These days it probably costs at least $40 million+ to make a good movie with special effects and all.

The thing about movies, is all you have to do is come up with an idea, 'script', and sell it to movie producers. I wouldn't dream of making a pro movie...

Even ameture movies are costly to make without pals and buddies who'll do it for a cartoon of beer...

Default thanks once again, long

hope to see your movie on screen one day.

will post yr costing at singapore series folder. hope you do not mind. hehe.

Quote Originally Posted by wkeej
    hope to see your movie on screen one day.

will post yr costing at singapore series folder. hope you do not mind. hehe.
    Yeah - no probs, but like I said its a very conservative estimate...

Also as with the "Stiff Wars" I cringe, when I look back at it and watch it sometimes. I show that short film to my "mature" 30 year old friends these days and they always ask, "what were you thinking?".... plenty of toilet humour (filmed in the bathroom by the way)...

Well, the very first short film I did was for my uni's short film competition. Unfortunately, the entries are supposed to be 5 minutes long only. As for the budget... well, it's almost zero.

Lemme see, I don't think I should count the camcorder, digital cam and laptop (+ the video editing software).

Hm. Okay, I got a tripod for $75.

Besides that, there ain't much. One guy wrote the script, I did the directing. And we both acted in it. Whole thing took place in various places of uni campus, and our flats in the student village.

Unbelievably, it took us 12 hours to do everything. But I'll post up the shooting process some other day, when I've posted the short film first.

So yeah, just go download my current Ultimate Script teaser, I wanna take it down to put up the short film.
    Swifty, Writing

A reminder. I'll be removing the video by next week. Prolly Monday. So go check out Ultimate Script teaser before it's too late!

http://www.hooliness.com/swifty/usteaser.zip

I wonder why Ex-Dreamsky, who had so much to say back then, turned so silent suddenly?
    Swifty, Writing

Quote Originally Posted by Long
    Well based on my movie making expierence.... My own short film, "The Stiff Wars" was 30 mins long, filmed at the Uni's bathroom. THe costs were as follows:

$400 - Camcorder
    $80 - for blank tapes to tape all of the scenes/actions required prior to editing.
    $50 - For hiring the Unis dodgy editing and chopping machine to take home and edit the scenes together.
    $20 - for the final tape of the movie
    $100 - covering the pints and acohol purchased for actors to convince them to participate in the project over 7 days.

So it costed roughly around $650 to make, though I may have forgotten something as I remember I was short pocketed something like $700 by the end of it.

Won 3rd Prize at the Uni Short-Films comp and won $400, so was actualy $300 loss by the end of it

SO HSDS is expected to be at least 20 thousand times better = $14 million dollars to make.
    and guess what.................it's priceless