Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why did H7G only teach the Beat Dog Stick Technique to Wong Yung?

Banned

Default Why did H7G only teach the Beat Dog Stick Technique to Wong Yung?

H7G only taught HR the doggy style. Why didn't he teach GJ the doggy style too, after all he taught GJ the 18 Dragon Palms?

Quote Originally Posted by djbadback
    H7G only taught HR the doggy style. Why didn't he teach GJ the doggy style too, after all he taught GJ the 18 Dragon Palms?
    Sorry. I had to change the wording of your thread title a bit. The original was just too easily misinterpreted (I'll let you keep the original wording of your post, however).

And the reason is simple: the Beggar's Union has a very strict rule that the Beat Dog Stick Technique is to be learned by the Beggar's Union Chief *only*. Wong Yung was the Beggar's Union Chief (# 19) after Hung 7 Gung, so she had to learn it. Gwok Jing was Hung 7 Gung's student, but Gwok Jing was not the Beggar's Union Chief, so Beat Dog Stick Technique was off-limits to him (it didn't suit him anyway).

Hong Lung 18 Palms is a different story: the Beggar's Union Chief can teach this martial art to anybody he wants.

Generally, the Beggar's Union Chief should know both HL18 palms and Dog Beating Stick technique, right? I think XF and H7Q knew both of them. Why did H7Q teach HR both of these? Did HR know HL18 palms? She didn't know it, right?

Quote Originally Posted by Thai guy
    Generally, the Beggar's Union Chief should know both HL18 palms and Dog Beating Stick technique, right? I think XF and H7Q knew both of them. Why did H7Q teach HR both of these? Did HR know HL18 palms? She didn't know it, right?
    The nature of the Hong Lung 18 Palms made it most suitable for males to learn. I don't know if it was ever said that it was outright physiologically impossible for females to learn the Hong Lung 18 Palms, but it was certainly not practiced. To date, there is no record in any Jin Yong novel of a female character learning the Hong Lung 18 Palms. North Beggar Hung 7 Gung's skills were transmitted separately, therefore, to his two students Gwok Jing and Wong Yung.

MJ did suggest ZZR not to practice XL18Z, saying it is hard to learn or something. she just suggest ZZR to learn 9 Yin instead.

If H7G really GJ, I doubt he can learn Beat Dog Stick Technique. Beat Dog Stick Technique is complicated and have many changes. Maybe GJ can learn but this will take him a long time.... unlike Huang Rong & Yang Guo that can learn the technique in a short time...
    Les Arts Martiaux!
    "En Garde","Fleche Enflammee"!!

Quote Originally Posted by Arching_Hero
    If H7G really GJ, I doubt he can learn Beat Dog Stick Technique. Beat Dog Stick Technique is complicated and have many changes. Maybe GJ can learn but this will take him a long time.... unlike Huang Rong & Yang Guo that can learn the technique in a short time...
    I am not sure about that. GJ might be slow but he is still a great MA talent. Stuff like 9 Yin and the Quanzhen formation are complicated stuff too but he mastered them too.

According to DGSD, the beggar union chief should know DP, so it makes it odd that H7G chose a girl to succeed him.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    I am not sure about that. GJ might be slow but he is still a great MA talent. Stuff like 9 Yin and the Quanzhen formation are complicated stuff too but he mastered them too.

According to DGSD, the beggar union chief should know DP, so it makes it odd that H7G chose a girl to succeed him.
    Some stuff suits a person more, some don't.

Dog Hitting Staff is an art which is based on tricks, very smart ways to confuse and outsmart the opponent. It doesn't suit Guo Jing's nature. That's also the reason why we never see Xiao Feng use it in DGSD. But it does suit Huang Rong.

Other examples would be:

Eighteen Dragon Subdueing Palms do not suit Yang Guo.

Taiji does not suit Miejue.
    對 敵 須 狠 , 斬 草 除 根 , 男 女 老 幼 , 不 留 一 人

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan

Dog Hitting Staff is an art which is based on tricks, very smart ways to confuse and outsmart the opponent. It doesn't suit Guo Jing's nature. That's also the reason why we never see Xiao Feng use it in DGSD. But it does suit Huang Rong.

Other examples would be:

Eighteen Dragon Subdueing Palms do not suit Yang Guo.

Taiji does not suit Miejue.
    I agree that it wouldnt suit him but I think that he could still learn it. Just like XF.

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan

When HR chose the new Chief to succeed her, I think she mainly considers the seniority of the person. However, the characteristic of this guy is also not that suitable for learning Dog Beating Technique. Why didn't she choose someone more suitable?

Default To Thai Guy

Because it is the position of Beggar Clan leader that counts. She is choosing a successor to leadership, not a person to pass on martial arts. Yang Guo was suitable for learning Dog Hitting Staff, but he wouldn't have been a good beggar leader.

And during that time, thee probably weren't any real talents within Beggar Clan...

Quote Originally Posted by CC

I guess if not because of his situation at that time, Hong Qi Gong may not have chose Huang Rong to be his successor.

Why won't Dragon Subdueing Palms suit Yang Guo?

Quote Originally Posted by foreva
    Why won't Dragon Subdueing Palms suit Yang Guo?
    Eighteen Dragon Subdueing Palms are a very straightforward, no-nonsense style. It suits people with a very strong morale and honest character.

Yang Guo's character, however, is like his creation (Sad Palms)... Unstable, emotional, ever-changing.

Quote Originally Posted by foreva
    I guess if not because of his situation at that time, Hong Qi Gong may not have chose Huang Rong to be his successor.
    I agree. Wong Yung would not have normally been Hung 7 Gung's first choice as his successor as Beggar's Union Chief. It wasn't because she was incapable or unsuited for the job (far from it). In any organization, however, it's always best to promote from within. Promoting an outsider, no matter how capable, to top positions will inevitably create dissension in the ranks. This indeed happened when Elder Peng helped Yeung Hong temporarily usurp the Union Chief position (although this was not Wong Yung's fault; things would probably have been worse if Lo Yau Gerk or someone else had been promoted to Chief).

quick questions (i know they are off topic): what # is XF as a chief of the beggar clan ?

Between 9Y and 18P, which one is better?
    i.am.2too.

Quote Originally Posted by TuToo
    Between 9Y and 18P, which one is better?
    You can't really compare 9 Yin with 18 Dragon Subduing Palms. They are just different. One is internal energy cultivation technique and a bunch of fighting technique, while the other is just a fighting technique. GJ modified his 18 Dragon Subduing Palms using 9 Yin. Comparing 9 Yin and 9 Yang, or comparing 18 Dragon Subduing Palms and Ha Ma Gong is more appropriate.

Quote Originally Posted by TuToo
    quick questions (i know they are off topic): what # is XF as a chief of the beggar clan ?
    I don't think it's ever been clearly identified which generation Beggar's Union Chief Kiu Fung was, but consider this: in one of the LOCH editions (maybe all three), Wong Yung once discussed the history of the Beggar's Union with several of the Union's elders. During the course of the conversation, some reference was made to the 11th Chief as having been a great warrior and martial artist. North Beggar Hung 7 Gung was the 18th Chief, and Kiu Fung lived a little over 100 years before Hung 7 Gung's time. It's conceivable, therefore, that Kiu Fung was that 11th Chief.

GJ & HR are a couple and can complement each other's flaws. Having HR as leader also means having GJ's Palms to back her up. There are elders in the Beggar Clan, whose job it is to teach techniques (to the leader?) are there not? So presumably if HR wanted to learn the palms later, she could have.

She never does show that much interest in learning powerful kung fu though and thus probably never reach her maximum potential. But then there was that many ppl that she could not beat. If there was she can just call out GJ. Amongst the female fighters, she or XLN were top in the whole of wulin.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge Liang
    So presumably if HR wanted to learn the palms later, she could have.
    There have been some speculation in the past that this technique can't be practiced by girls. I'm not very sure, GF and GX did not learn it. While the Wu brother had.

Even MJ suggest that ZZR not to learn the XL18Z but stick with 9Yin.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiHan
    There have been some speculation in the past that this technique can't be practiced by girls. I'm not very sure, GF and GX did not learn it. While the Wu brother had.

Even MJ suggest that ZZR not to learn the XL18Z but stick with 9Yin.
    Probably also because you need high internal energy to learn XL18Z. The Beggar Union Chief did not, which caused him to become partially paralyzed.