Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: in jin yong world , girls are usually smarter than guys

Default in jin yong world , girls are usually smarter than guys

why ? and any exceptions? as there are many readers of jin yong novels , many people will have a wrong impression that girls really smarter than guys. any comments?

Bloody sexist femi-nazi he is. Funny that a lot of people accuse him of being a male chauvinist.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

maybe in wulin is the fist do the job , not brains. male chauvinist should apply to gu long , those guys are super smart, super skilled. women are just a liability to them

Although not so much about intellegence, I think WXB is pretty up there, the guy is super cunning and extremely street smart, with a lot of luck off course.

But other guys like Yang Guo is very intellegent, the only problem is he's too emotional, which causes him some troubles and blocks his brain from functioning properly, especially when Huang Rong was around.

His Dad is also very intellegent, but again overshadowed by Huang Rong.

Quote Originally Posted by hentaixp
    why ? and any exceptions? as there are many readers of jin yong novels , many people will have a wrong impression that girls really smarter than guys. any comments?
    Its not that the girls are smarter, but JY gave them less martial arts so their intelligence is emphasised more.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Funny that a lot of people accuse him of being a male chauvinist.
    This is because the women always use their intelligence in the service of their men.

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    This is because the women always use their intelligence in the service of their men.
    I see it less as service than as a partnership. The best couples in the Jin Yong universe were partners rather than superior/subordinates. I never sensed any uneveness in the relationships of Kiu Fung and Ah Chu, Gwok Jing and Wong Yung, Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl, Cheung Mo Gei and Chiu Mun, Ling Wu Chung and Yam Ying Ying (except maybe this last one, and if anything, it seemed that Ying Ying was the dominant side of the relationship here). There were martial arts-level discrepancies, but no real personal discrepancies.

In statistic, women's speaking ability is better than men's.

I think it's not true that Yang Kang was overwhelmed by Huang Rong's intelligence. He had always been better that her until the last minute, he just underestimated Huang Rong.
    If he had been ruthless enough to kill miss Ku - the crazy girl - Huang Rong would have had no chance to prove what he had done.

Quote Originally Posted by Yang Ming
    In statistic, women's speaking ability is better than men's.

I think it's not true that Yang Kang was overwhelmed by Huang Rong's intelligence. He had always been better that her until the last minute, he just underestimated Huang Rong.
    Actually, Yeung Hong's plotting left quite a bit to be desired. He never seemed to have a good plan for finishing a plot, and he had no idea of an exit strategy if things went sour (kind of like a certain U.S. President).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I see it less as service than as a partnership. The best couples in the Jin Yong universe were partners rather than superior/subordinates. I never sensed any uneveness in the relationships of Kiu Fung and Ah Chu, Gwok Jing and Wong Yung, Yeung Gor and Little Dragon Girl, Cheung Mo Gei and Chiu Mun, Ling Wu Chung and Yam Ying Ying (except maybe this last one, and if anything, it seemed that Ying Ying was the dominant side of the relationship here). There were martial arts-level discrepancies, but no real personal discrepancies.
    Except for Zhang WuJi and Zhao Min (which I consider to be the most balanced relationship because it's one between 2 equals), the discrepencies of the other relationships can be found in each characters motivations and accomplishments. Huang Rong did everything for her husband, Guo Jing did everything for country. Ren Ying Ying did everything to help Linghu Chong, Linghu Chong didn't really want to do much except hang out and drink wine, in many ways (as another poster has said) Linghu Chong chose Ren Ying Ying by default. The other side of this was the Yang Guo and Xiao Longnu relationship; this relationship was different from the others in that Yang Guo did everything for Xiao Longnu. Concurrently, Xiao Longnu wasn't very smart and very much a 'Princess' and didn't do much for Yang Guo except teaching him some kung fu (with her personality and intelligence she couldn't do much else).

In most cases, the women empowered their men and the men empowered themselves.
    Last edited by Dennis Chen; 10-25-04 at 02:24 PM.

well i do feel that guys and girls intelligence are equal however girls with one kind of intelligence is more for smaller matters ( no offense) like everyday issues which is more obivous , guys are better at handling unexpected big events , decisive thinking , seeing bigger picture

comes to jin yong , the case of RYY and LHC , to me though LHC is quite careless in his thoughts and judgement and RYY is far more alert , there are cases in the novel that i don't think RYY can handle as well as LHC, not only during fighting. and remember its always clearer in a third person 's view.

as modern readers tend to put more emphasize on intelligence , they may look down on male characters and make claims that if the females can learn those powerful skills the man has , they may blow the males out of the water. if you want couples to complement each other , there are many ways like the guy is better in palm skill , while the girls are better at swords, THIS MAY INDIRECTLY ENCOURAGE FEMINIST THINIKING
    Last edited by hentaixp; 10-25-04 at 02:42 PM.

|n A|3C's Heart 0=) Title: A|3C's #1 Fan!

All this years , I seen Girl are Much More Intelligent Than Boys Btw in Jin Yong Universe Which girl is the most prettiest hope someone can reply me this question
    Alyssa Lastest Series : ( Phantom lovers)

Fave Actresses : Alyssa , Ma su , Florance Tan , Gao Yuan Yuan , Jessica Hester Hsuan

Favourite Actors: Alec Su , Louis Koo , Aaron Kwok , Jimmy Lin

Quote Originally Posted by Ex-Dreamsky
    All this years , I seen Girl are Much More Intelligent Than Boys Btw in Jin Yong Universe Which girl is the most prettiest hope someone can reply me this question
    that is an overstatement for girls

Arrow

Actually, Yeung Hong's plotting left quite a bit to be desired. He never seemed to have a good plan for finishing a plot, and he had no idea of an exit strategy if things went sour (kind of like a certain U.S. President).

Why do you say he never seemed to have a good plan for finishing a plot?
    Yang Kang truly had a good plan to achieve his dream and he had finished a lot of plans
    _In martial art, he had plans to learn martial arts from Mei Chao Feng, Ku Xu Ge to Ou Yang Feng and became Ou Yang Feng only student.
    _In politics, he successfully summoned a group of martial artists to steal Wu Mu Yi Xin of Yue Fei in order to increase military's strength.

Although they can't steal it, by using them, Yang Kang had killed Gou Jing's six teachers and made Guo Jing and Quan Zhen Qi Zi believed that Huang Yao Shi did it. If he had killed Ku Gu, Huang Rong would had no way to make Ou Yang Feng believe that Yang Kang was the one who killed his son, therefore would had no chance to be free.
    Moreover, the battle between Quan Zhen Qi Zi and Huang Yao Shi would have made them seriously injured and there would be no wu xia with high martial arts in China, except for Hong Qi Gong. As a result of this, Yang Kang and his teacher Ou Yang Feng would have easily conquered China's jiang hu and finally based on military power, they would have conquered China ruling by incapable emperor.

However, all those achievements fell because of the humane part in Yang Kang's characteristic, he doesn't want to kill anyone unless he need to, even an insane girl like Ku gu.
    If he had had the savage of Qin Shui Huang, who used a war to stop civil wars between small nations, burned most of the book and killed most of the professors to unite the language, everything would had been different.

One more word, a good planner is not the one who always has an exit strategy, because the best strategy doesn't guarantee a good exit. All he has to do is to make his plan as perfect as he can.

Talking

Sorry hentaixp, I've made it the Yang Kang's topic

Candide and I had a one-on-one discussion on Yeung Hong not long ago, and he told me some very revealing things that nullify the idea that Yeung Hong was a great plotter. Here are some excepts from that conversation:

Ken: I actually kind of liked Yeung Hong; there was something kind of cool in his dastardliness.

Candide: I don't like him. I just don't hate him that's all. He's a moron. If you step back and look at what he did, the guy's a moron. Did you see how he tried to be the Beggar Clan's leader ?

Ken: You mean choosing to remain a Jin prince, or the way he pursued it?

Candide: no not that. There's nothing wrong about remaining a Jin prince. The ways he went about things were just stupid.

Ken: Yeah..by hijacking the Beat Dog Stick Jade Scepter and blackmailing Elder Pang into working with him. It was kind of risky considering Hung 7 Gung was still alive.

Candide: He should've killed Sha Gu (the dumb girl) as well.

Ken: Once he was done using her, yeah. Keeping her around was his downfall.

Candide: He thought that HQG was dead. Nevertheless, if HQG were dead and GJ & HR didn't intervene, that plan would not work.

Ken: Because no one would believe him? It worked for a while, but only because those Beggar's Union elders were dumb as bricks themselves. So gullible.

Candide: 5 mins after he became the leader, he fainted after QQR squeezed his hand too hard (as Yang Kang tried to do it first). 5 mins later he accepted the golds from the Jin empire right in front of thousands of beggars. 5 mins after that he accepted QQR's demand of moving the entire clan down south. THen he forced the two loyal beggar elders to commit suicide. Did he think that they would actually follow him after that ? He didn't even know the name of the Dog Beating Stick.

Ken: Yeah, he should have consolidated his power first. The way he proceeded, he would have gotten overthrown *fast*. You can't undo nearly 100 years of anti-Juchen conditioning in just a few minutes.

Candide: Exactly. This guy grew up in the palace yet he knew shit all about leadership.

Ken: His inexperience was showing. Yeung Hong was a conniving trickster, but he commited the # 1 sin of tricksters: he didn't cover his *** well at all.

Candide: Yep he didn't even have an escaping plan. He was incredibly lucky that GJ let him go then. Or maybe he was lucky that it was GJ.

Ken: Didn't Kau Cheen Yan come to rescue him?

Candide: Nah, QQR wouldn't give a shit. GJ let him escape, then he begged QQR to take him with them. If I were GJ,.....poor YK....

Ken: I thought Kau Cheen Yan was on the Yeun Nan Royal Family's payroll and would be protecting Yeung Hong during the entire operation. That's how it played out in the series.

Candide: He didn't know who Yang Kang was then. The series sucks :-P

Candide's argument convinced me that Yeung Hong was not as good a plotter and schemer as he is sometimes believed to be. If he were, he probably would not have died in LOCH.

Thumbs up

Great! Had I got free time read LOCH one more times. The second times I read it is 1 year ago, so I don't think I will remember enough details to debate. I guess it'll take me at least one month to reread.

Who says girls are more intelligent in Jinyong's novels? Huang Rong is always brought up as an example, but even she'll admit that she's no match for her old man, Huang Yaoshi, Huang Laoxie.

Sure, Zhao Min and Zhou Zhirou were sneaky in YTTLJ, but then, there's still a Cheng Kun who's masterminding overshadowed the entire plot.

In Lu Ding Ji, of course, there's Wei Xiaobao; and in Shen Diao Xia Lu, Yang Guo is a decidedly intelligent chap.

Name 1 thing these girls did after they fell in love with their men that is not for their men. I think that is what Dennis mean when he wrote "This is because the women always use their intelligence in the service of their men". Between GJ and HR, who is the one who want to serve the country? GJ. Who is the one who make the final decision in their relationship? GJ. HR can't even prevent GJ from chopping off GF's arm. She has to resort to hiding GF. After she met GJ, all the things HR did is for GJ. Same with XF/AZ and ZWJ/ZM. Yes, these guys respect their women and never treat them as subordinate and they even defers to their women sometimes. But the fact still remains that these girls use all their intelligence to help their men and nothing else.

As for LCH/RYY. No way is RYY more dominant than LCH. RYY can never get LCH to do anything that he himself doesn't want to do. RYY also can do nothing when LCH keep pining for his YLS. All RYY ever did in SOD is being supportive of LCH. How is she being dominant in the relationship. In my opinion, LCH is the more dominant 1 in their relationship.

YG/XLN is a different case since like Dennis said, YG is the more intelligent one in the relationship, so XLN can't do much to help him.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-26-04 at 01:59 AM.

Nobody wants to analyze LCY again? Where are Candide and Xiao Feng?