Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Why do people hate on Yang Guo but not Zhang Wu Ji?

Quote Originally Posted by Ren Wo Xing
    WTF? Zhang Wuji, along with Duan Yu (and perhaps Chen Jialuo) are the two/three most hated upon characters in all of JY canon! hehe
    that is what I thought too. somehow I think people hate ZWJ much more than YG.

Personally, I prefer ZWJ to YG though I don't like ZWJ for his indecisiveness. In my opinion, ZWJ is more forgiving and selfless. He also has better personality than YG. YG just don't act as mature as ZWJ.

I like both YG and ZWJ. But if u ask me to choose who I like better, I will choose ZWJ. YG sometimes annoys me with his constant 'no one cares for me except my Gu Gu' whine.

I like both, but i have to say that i like YG more. Think that ZWJ is too nice sometimes and too indecisive.

I hate Yang "nobody likes me...sob sob" Guo for a stack of reasons i wouldn't want to waste time stating here cos i've done it countless times before.

ZWJ was just too nice and passive of a guy to hate. He's not my fav or anything, I don't dislike him either.

Hate is such a harsh word. I dont quite understand how that kind of animosity can be attributed to any hero of a story. Every person has their characteristic flaws but if their hearts are in the right place, it's really hard to hate them, for me anyways.
    Last edited by Yeung Gor; 10-28-04 at 05:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SkineePanda
    ZWJ's too damn nice(but not too pansy like Duan Yu). Like the super nice guy that you hate to hate. So it's kinda hard to say something bad about him.

One thing I hate about him is that he's too soft and forgiving sometimes. Like against Song Qingshu, just kill the bastard. He been eyeing your girl, murdered your seventh uncle and all of Wudang wants him dead. Satisfy the masses and kill him. Even Z3F was no exception.

Miejue: he should've b!tched-slapped her like Jet Li did in the movie version
    SQS might have wronged but i don't think it is his place to kill him. It should be up to Z3F or his uncles. He probably thought of how sad SYQ would be if his son was killed, regardless of his rhetoric.

Killing someone cos they eyed your girl is a bit extreme.

In any case, ppl like MJ & SQS are there to also provide contrasts to ZWJ's compassion and righteousness, to elevate and demonstrate his character. ZWJ did not have much opportunity to ***** slap MJ anyway.

On bright peak, his priority was to resolve the immediate slaughter of the Ming Cult and being humble was the way to go. The next time he saw her, he was trying to save the newly recovered from poison sects from the pagoda. Since she killed herself after that there was no more opportunity for him. Though i will be the first to admit that it would have been most satisfying.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Why do people hate on Yang Guo but not Zhang Wu Ji?
    The answer is simple: because of their characteristics.

I know how aggressive it will be when I say these words but what are the reasons that make someone hate Yang Guo?
    In Return of Condor Hero, what are the kinds of people who hate Yang Guo, the man who never starts an argument unless having reasons, the one is respected by the Greats?

By asking these questions, I never want to insult anyone in anyway. I sincerely applogize if any of you got hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by Yang Ming
    In Return of Condor Hero, what are the kinds of people who hate Yang Guo, the man who never starts an argument unless having reasons, the one is respected by the Greats?
    I'm not in ROCH, neither does everyone here, so there goes that argument Never starts an argument unless having reasons ? Yang Guo ? Hahahahahah. Why does THAT make him likeable anyway ? What about starting an argument when having totally bullshit reasons ?

By asking these questions, I never want to insult anyone in anyway. I sincerely applogize if any of you got hurt.
    I just hurt my jaw from laughing too much. Apology accepted.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Just had a thought, if YG was fugly...would you YG groupies still like him that much.

Quote Originally Posted by Yang Ming
    Why do people hate on Yang Guo but not Zhang Wu Ji?
    The answer is simple: because of their characteristics.

I know how aggressive it will be when I say these words but what are the reasons that make someone hate Yang Guo?

I think u misunderstood Homura's question. What he meant by 'people' are the readers and viewers, not the characters in the story.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    I think u misunderstood Homura's question. What he meant by 'people' are the readers and viewers, not the characters in the story.
    No, I didn't misunderstand. Of course I know what he means

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    I beg to differ: Wuji never wanted to avenge his parents' death...
    You are right. However, sometimes, we have the urge to do something that we don't really want to do, and it takes a strong person to control that urge. ZWJ did not want to avenge his parents' death, but when facing the old enemies in the Brightness Peak battle, he had to remind himself many times that he should not kill anyone. He believed that making peace between the orthodox schools and the Ming cult, thus breaking Cheng Kun's plan, was the best way to avenge his parents' death and his foster father's sufferings. Despite the constant suggestions from the top Ming cult members, including his own grandfather, he did not kill or humiliate any opponent. He almost lost it when the monk Yuen Yin (the "witness" of his father's "crime") cursed his parents and nearly smashed the monk's head but he managed to control himself in the last moment.

He had all the right reasons to take revenge, and he surely had the ability, but he didn't. ZWJ had a very strong will and was very determined to achieve that goal (of uniting China). He is a true hero. It is disappointing that so many people overlook his great qualities and only focus on irrelevant bullshit like his romance with the girls. People somehow see the achievements that ZWJ, GJ, XF etc. made as easy and boring, but see "rebelling" against society, being completely obsessed with a girl, and going into seclusion, retiring from all duties to the country and the people as "cool" and "great" things. I know the majority of those people are young teenagers but it is not a good sign that the young generations are seeing things upside down.

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Candide's thoughts echo my own.

But I'll add this: perhaps learning to set one's priorities straight is an indispensable aspect of reaching maturity, which is a fancy way of saying,"they'll outgrow it."

The young generation you speak of is not interested in pursuing heroism. they are materialistic & want to make THEMSELVES look good. And they have a keen interest in rebelling (doesn't every generation?). Whether this is right or wrong, good or bad, it's reality.

Let's face it: human nature is pretty ugly. Most things we do are to make us feel good. Forget about the cream of the crop for a second and look at a soul that's imperfect by nature. That is most people, and that is Yang Guo.
    Last edited by PJ; 10-30-04 at 12:48 PM.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

I won't say that the younger generation now is more materialistic. I would say that they are more individualistic. In today's society, individualism is more valued than other community/society oriented values. Bettering oneself and realising one's own dreams is more important than doing things for the betterment of a whole group of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    You are right. However, sometimes, we have the urge to do something that we don't really want to do, and it takes a strong person to control that urge. ZWJ did not want to avenge his parents' death, but when facing the old enemies in the Brightness Peak battle, he had to remind himself many times that he should not kill anyone. He believed that making peace between the orthodox schools and the Ming cult, thus breaking Cheng Kun's plan, was the best way to avenge his parents' death and his foster father's sufferings. Despite the constant suggestions from the top Ming cult members, including his own grandfather, he did not kill or humiliate any opponent. He almost lost it when the monk Yuen Yin (the "witness" of his father's "crime") cursed his parents and nearly smashed the monk's head but he managed to control himself in the last moment.

He had all the right reasons to take revenge, and he surely had the ability, but he didn't. ZWJ had a very strong will and was very determined to achieve that goal (of uniting China). He is a true hero. It is disappointing that so many people overlook his great qualities and only focus on irrelevant bullshit like his romance with the girls.
    Bravo. Totally agree with what u say about ZWJ.

People somehow see the achievements that ZWJ, GJ, XF etc. made as easy and boring.
    I'll have to disagree on this part of your comment. GJ and XF are the 2 most well-loved JY main characters and the main reason that they are are so well loved is because of their patriotism. I don't think many people undervalue GJ and XF's achievement. It it usually ZWJ's achievement that people failed to notice/appreciate because of his more glaring flaws like indecisiveness and passivity.

Perhaps I didn't make my points clear enough, but I'm not suggesting that everyone should "pursue heroism" because very few can. All I'm saying is that the true heroes should be appreciated more, and the "soul that is imperfect by nature" (which IMO is bullshit) should be criticised, not idolised. We cannot be perfect, but we should thrive to be as close to perfection as possible. That is how we have evolved (and should be evolving) as a society. By discrediting the heroes and idolising the average joe blow, we are devolving!

Slightly OT about the "individualism" that is so heavily marketed in this ugly world today... it reminds me of Monty Python's "Life of Brian" when Brian was telling his followers that they were "all different" and shouldn't listen to anybody, and they replied in unison: "Yes, we are all different!". Only the ones who "pursue heroism" (using it loosely as a generalised term) are truly different and will be remembered. The rest are just statistics.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Bravo. Totally agree with what u say about ZWJ.
    Thanks I'm not a ZWJ fan though Keep that in mind hehehe

I'll have to disagree on this part of your comment. GJ and XF are the 2 most well-loved JY main characters and the main reason that they are are so well loved is because of their patriotism. I don't think many people undervalue GJ and XF's achievement. It it usually ZWJ's achievement that people failed to notice/appreciate because of his more glaring flaws like indecisiveness and passivity.
    I disagree. Very few people like Guo Jing and fewer actually consider him their "most well-loved" character. The majority would go on and on about how dumb, orthodox and boring he is. Very few people consider Xiao Feng their most favourite character because of his love for peace and his great sacrifice for the people no matter what ethnicity. Instead, most like him because he's a great fighting machine (not that it's a wrong reason to like him for). Some people even criticise his suicide.

I should say something about those two flaws of ZWJ being so minor that they don't matter, but you know what my stance is on this

Thanks I'm not a ZWJ fan though Keep that in mind hehehe
    You have clarified his fact to me before. . Anyway, this just make your point stronger, coming from a non-fan.

Thanks I'm not a ZWJ fan though
    I disagree. Very few people like Guo Jing and fewer actually consider him their "most well-loved" character. The majority would go on and on about how dumb, orthodox and boring he is. Very few people consider Xiao Feng their most favourite character because of his love for peace and his great sacrifice for the people no matter what ethnicity. Instead, most like him because he's a great fighting machine (not that it's a wrong reason to like him for). Some people even criticise his suicide.
    Really? But I remember there's a 'who is your favourite main character' poll here a long time ago and the moajority response is XF and GJ. Of course there are also quite a number of YG fans but not as much as GJ and XF.

I should say something about those two flaws of ZWJ being so minor that they don't matter, but you know what my stance is on this
    Indecisiveness is quite a major flaw. But, imo, he has other greater positive traits like forgiving, caring of others' feelings, and making decisions base on the greater good of society instead of self-gratification that make up for his flaws.
    Last edited by kidd; 10-30-04 at 02:39 PM.