Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: Yang Guo's appeal

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    Readers from the age 12 - 29 like...
    I still fall under that group, but I like GJ much better

Quote Originally Posted by Yang Ming
    Since you are a Candide stupid man, you can never relate to any emotion.
    It is a waste of time to tell you what people who love Yang Guo do in real life.
    They have their real things to do, that's why they don't have so much free time to argue about something which has no true meaning toghether with destructive manner like this.
    Oh, you have your real things to do such as going to school and doing your homework (I know that from the previous threads) ? Tell you what, I'm graduating from university, working 3 part-time jobs (soon to be 1 full time + some part-time) and running a small business, and I'm living on my own, not with my parents. It's pretty rich for a high school kid to tell me that I can understand the angst-filled emo-teenager, but I can never relate myself to him.

If you want to have an accurate population parameter, you have to take a reflective sample or at least an unbiased one.
    Don't use big words. It's not a parameter Also, I'm not saying that my sample is the definite sample, just stating my observation.

Now go back to doing your homework.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

Now now guys, no point resorting to personal insults unless you're YG.

I'm in the "YG loving" group age but I hate him....hmmm....

I think its a normalised graph thingie. Where the bulk of the YG fanboys are between late teens and just into their 20's. There are ppl who simply mature faster and some slower....hence the age range being pulled towards 29.

Lastly, GJ > YG (just to fan the flames)

YG sucks. Period !

To conclude, I want to emphasize that Huang Rong is not a small minded girl as you guys usually say. She had sacrificed a lot, you just don't have enough sensitiveness to realize what she had done. You can only sympathize with some devotion which is so tragic, so obvious like Xiao Feng and his miserable destiny, not these dedicated, sentimental feelings.
    Since you are a Candide stupid man, you can never relate to any emotion.
    It is a waste of time to tell you what people who love Yang Guo do in real life.
    They have their real things to do, that's why they don't have so much free time to argue about something which has no true meaning toghether with destructive manner like this.
    Is this the only rhetorical strategy in your repertoire? To accuse the other party of lacking "sensitivity" when he challenges your opinions? It's the same tactic twice in as many days, and it wasn't any more persuasive the second time than it was the first.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Candide
    Oh, you have your real things to do such as going to school and doing your homework (I know that from the previous threads) ? Tell you what, I'm graduating from university, working 3 part-time jobs (soon to be 1 full time + some part-time) and running a small business, and I'm living on my own, not with my parents. It's pretty rich for a high school kid to tell me that I can understand the angst-filled emo-teenager, but I can never relate myself to him.

Don't use big words. It's not a parameter Also, I'm not saying that my sample is the definite sample, just stating my observation.

OK, since I don't want to boast about myself on the net, I admit now you are truly better than me in work and businesss.

I mean the parameter interpreted from the sample statistic
    You used your biased sample to conclude about the population, didn't you?
    Novel readers usually don't like Yang Guo much, and most GJ fans are novel readers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Is this the only rhetorical strategy in your repertoire? To accuse the other party of lacking "sensitivity" when he challenges your opinions? It's the same tactic twice in as many days, and it wasn't any more persuasive the second time than it was the first.
    No, that was not my purpose. I was angry a little bit, that's all.
    I mean Candide could rarely understand people's feelings. If I had not considered Candide's posts, I would have not replied them.
    I will be glad if there is someone who wants to challenge my opinions and truly wants to debate, to listen and reflect them rather than just being conservative and saying some annoying things without thinking about others' opinions.
    By the way, according to you, what should I do to make my post more persuasive? I'm serious

Now THIS is childish... Stooping to comparing credentials with a high school kid?

Quote Originally Posted by Xiao Feng
    Now now guys, no point resorting to personal insults unless you're YG.

I'm in the "YG loving" group age but I hate him....hmmm....

I think its a normalised graph thingie. Where the bulk of the YG fanboys are between late teens and just into their 20's. There are ppl who simply mature faster and some slower....hence the age range being pulled towards 29.

Lastly, GJ > YG (just to fan the flames)
    I guess the mod is supposed to handle the personal insults...

Btw. I am also interested to know the source of the age groups of fans.

As for GJ > YG or vice versa, I believe there is a massive sticky thread on this forum. Take it there.

Quote Originally Posted by Laviathan
    Spot on. I completely disagree with this statement: Novel readers usually don't like Yang Guo much, and most GJ fans are novel readers. I disagree because I know it is not true. In the regions of Mainland China, Hongkong, Taiwan and Singapore, surveys have proven that amongst novel readers Guo Jing and Yang Guo are equally popular. Their fans just belong to different age groups. Readers from the age 12 - 29 like Yang Guo better, while people of 30 years and older are more fond of Guo Jing. There's also a shift: young people can relate to the emotions of Yang Guo, but once they grow older they would appreciate Guo Jing's sense of responsibility more. But there are of course many exceptions: Jin Yong's best friend Ni Kuang (author of the W-files) is an old man but he loves Yang Guo.

Anyway, it's not an issue of reading novels or watching adaptations. On the forums the majority of Yang Guo fans might not have read the novel, but in real life this is not the case.

wow, good post. interesting to know that age is such an important factor. i was around 13 when i first watched the condor heroes series.

the story captivated my impressionable young mind but i was kinda indifferent to YG the character. it was only after i was 16 when i had read the novel that his character started to become appealing to me and my disdain for GJ's character began to surface. this only got stronger as the years went by and more so after reading the She Diao novel. I don't know... maybe when i reach 30, i may switch camps.

unlike the young people in that age group who like YG better, I can't relate to his emotional state quite well. perphaps because I never went thru a rebellious phase myself or possess an Allen Iversonish attitude of me-against-the world. nor am i prone to extreme mood swings. as someone who seldom let emotions decide his actions and who is pretty much never emotional openly, I find some of YG's thoughts and behaviour both intriguing as well as likable. Some of which I would like to experience personally in real life.

I especially loved how jin yong descibed the parts when YG went against his 'better' judgement to save GJ, HR and others.
    How when he is affected/touched emotionally, warm blood just rushed thru his heart, he can't control himself and couldn't care less about anything else.

I like YG, he isn't my favourite jin yong character but i like him nevertheless. although I'm most assuredly in the minority here but this is simply how i truly feel.
    Last edited by c13:4567; 11-03-04 at 12:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by FoieGras
    YG sucks. Period !
    Real mature.

I'm closing this thread for three days. I'll reopen it on Friday after everybody has cooled down and decided to address the issue rather than attack each other.

This thread has been reopened for discussion.

If I need to close it again, however, it will be permanent.

I think Yang Guo is portrayed with a certain psychological profile that is more or less rarer then the psychological profile of Guo Jing.

Yang Guo is basically described as being naturally more talented in everything he does. He looks good, is super smart and etc. Yang Guo is the kind of person, ugly and dumb people love to be jealous of. I think a lot of people would dislike him more then Guo Jing because Guo Jing doesn't come off as being superior in any ways, except being very dedicated. The reason most people don't like Yang Guo is because most of them will never be described as good looking or as smart.

Where as most people would never be jealous of dumb Guo Jing.

If Yang Guo was ugly and stupid, he wouldn't be Yang Guo.

I think I can safely say that for those YG fans who like YG just because of the handsome actors who played him in the adaptations, if YG was ugly then yes they will probably lose their love on YG. But for those YG fans who like YG for what he was, then even if YG was ugly they will still like and support him.

Just like Ken mentioned before, this is not a scientific survey, just my own BS

Quote Originally Posted by rabadi
    I think I can safely say that for those YG fans who like YG just because of the handsome actors who played him in the adaptations, if YG was ugly then yes they will probably lose their love on YG. But for those YG fans who like YG for what he was, then even if YG was ugly they will still like and support him.

Just like Ken mentioned before, this is not a scientific survey, just my own BS

Yang Guo's story would not be Yang Guo's story if he was ugly and stupid, because the other characters would have reacted to him differently. So a prerequsite for the story to be told is that he is handsome and smart not stupid and dumb.

Yang Guo stupid and dumb would be Guo Jing.

But Xiao Feng started this thread as a what-if question. It's fun, and it gives us something to discuss in this wuxia forum.

To Laviathan, you want to take on this and explain that GJ was not dumb?

Quote Originally Posted by dbx
    I think Yang Guo is portrayed with a certain psychological profile that is more or less rarer then the psychological profile of Guo Jing.

Yang Guo is basically described as being naturally more talented in everything he does. He looks good, is super smart and etc. Yang Guo is the kind of person, ugly and dumb people love to be jealous of. I think a lot of people would dislike him more then Guo Jing because Guo Jing doesn't come off as being superior in any ways, except being very dedicated. The reason most people don't like Yang Guo is because most of them will never be described as good looking or as smart.

I like GJ not because he is ugly or dumb. I like him because he is honorable.

I think it is kind of offensive saying those who hate Yang Guo because they are dumb and ugly. I could say that those who like Yang Guo are full of themselves who think they are better than others. They consider themselves as the superior being that put down other people.

also those who read the novel, would definitely agree that GJ is not as dumb as everyone think.

the idea of the thread, is to see if people liked YG for his personality or his look. I guess you answer the question already, that people like YG because he is handsome.

I think it would be a good idea for you to go read Shen Lang(Wu Lin Wai Shi). that guy could careless about looks and dress like trash. He could also careless on how stronger and smarter he is than other, he just keep his mouth shut and smile.
    Last edited by TaiHan; 11-05-04 at 10:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by dbx

I don't agree on your point that people dislike YG because he is smart, handsome and etc., and people like GJ because he is dumb and not good looking.

Personally, I like GJ for his personality. He is honourable and is a true hero. Similarly, I dislike YG for his character, not because I am jealous of him for being good-looking and smart (I don't feel that I'm stupid and ugly. I'm contented with who I am ). I really can't stand his whining and immaturity though he did improve slightly towards the end of the story.

Re: Yeung Gor's looks and his popularity

1. It's hard to see how this would be an issue one way or another for heterosexual male readers of ROCH...and generally speaking, because ROCH is wuxia, its primary audience will be heterosexual males.
    Primary audience? What makes you think females don't read wuxia or form part of the primary audience, eh? Or that more of them than you think read, like and discuss wuxia?

I've heard that the majority of Yeung Gor fans are ROCH adaptations watchers, and not ROCH novel readers. Novel readers were generally more lukewarm to the character than their adaptation-watching only counterparts were.
    Sounds like you heard wrong. I read the novel and I like how Yang Guo was portrayed, even more than what was portrayed by the actors in the ROCH adaptations, even though I enjoyed both the TVB adaptations. You really get a feel of what the character is all about when you read the novel, and not only just feed off adaptations indiscriminately and take them as gospel.
    Last edited by junny; 11-06-04 at 12:09 AM.
    玉木宏

blog

junny: keywords - majority, primary audience. You're just one single person.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."