Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Yang Guo, martial arts genius?

Default Yang Guo, martial arts genius?

Yang Guo is considered smarter than many people in the ROCH series (maybe except the Huang family), so can he be considered a true martial arts genius? He did create his own style of martial arts and mastered the dugu heavy sword after being taught by...a bird.

Another question: Would Yang Guo reach his maximum potential in the Dugu sword techniques if he had been taught personally by DuGu Qiu Bai?
    ||~::Rampant--Darkness+]<<
    From cradle to coffin||shall my wickedness be your [passion]

yeah i would consider yang guo a martial arts genius, i mean creating a set of palms that 'was said' to have rivalled the HL18 palms(don't know if is on par with HL18P we can only speculate) and thats no easy task as many people would agree that HL18P is the best palm technique in the JY universe.
    Well not everyone can be taught by a bird because you need comprehension as the bird only guided yang guo and he then had to comprehend the meaning of the bird's actions such as telling yang guo to go into the torrent and not everyone would understand the torrent training method. Also not everyone would have understood the meaning 'simplicity brings superiority'. so i would say yang guo was a genius in martial arts

i would say for dugu teaching yang guo, it may have changed the way yang guo understood his martial arts as without dugu yang guo trained in the iron sword to adapt to himself which lead to his sad palms and with dugu he may have been taught a method which was adapted for dugu but maybe yang guo's wooden sword would have been more proficient.

Yeah, I think by the time he masters all DG's skills, he will be able to beat sweeper monk in less than 10 stances.
    Disappeared Into Unannoying Signature

IMO, the Dugu's last stages can't be taught. There is no techniques or theorys or anything. It is nothing and blank. The stages can only be self-taught or acquire by themselves.

Like Heavy Iron Sword, it is all about simple over complex. There is no real technique. but with training in accuracy, precision, correct amount of power, and perfect timing, a simple move can become dangerous and quite effective.

No one can teach accuracy, etc. Like who need to be taught how to aim a gun. except for some small tips like open both eyes.

another important aspect is a fighting sense, knowing where to attack, and what kind of attack to use. Dugu's last stage is mainly on this aspect.

if Dugu was alive, the only thing that he could do that is helpful is probably transfer internal energy.

One got to know in Dugu's realm, techniques are useless.
    Last edited by TaiHan; 10-31-04 at 10:08 PM.

Yang Guo is of couse a martial art genius who creates his own style of palm technique. Unfortunately enough, I do not think what he created can be taught to the others because they might not have the same level of sadness as him. His palm seems to require a certain level of sad emotion.

I also sure that if he was taught direclty by DGQB, he should be MUCH better in sword technique.

Yes, definitely a genius. More so then GJ in some respects.

To be able to create a Great level skill on his own is a mighty feat.

If Dugu taught him directly, he might turn out very different. This is just too speculative. Heck, he might have annoyed Dugu so much that Dugu would have spanked his butt with the HIS.

Anyone who can reach Greats level without a direct power transfer (a la Hui Juk and Deun Yu in DGSD, although neither of them was *completely* devoid of talent) must have some special gift working for him. Not everybody could do it.

Quote Originally Posted by CC
    If Dugu taught him directly, he might turn out very different. This is just too speculative. Heck, he might have annoyed Dugu so much that Dugu would have spanked his butt with the HIS.
    You have a point. As we know, Dugu was a loner who was completely obsessed with the sword and didn't care much about other things. I don't know if he could stand the constant whinging "Gugu where are you, I miss you"... One day he'd break and it wouldn't be very pretty for YG.
    "Anything you can't say NO to is your MASTER, and you are its SLAVE."

"I disapprove of what I say, but I will defend to the death my right to say it."

he most prob would kill YG when YG was misbehaving at childhood
    TaZzY InC

Dook Goo Kau Bai was probably many things, but "unstably murderous" does not come to mind.

but think he was a stickler to discipline
    TaZzY InC

Heck, he might have annoyed Dugu so much that Dugu would have spanked his butt with the HIS.
    naa i think yang guo knows when to be respectful to SOME people. Like his encounter with Huang Yao Shi, HYS is known to be a very eccentric person who in my opinion is also rather unstable mentally but he and YG got along so well

and from the novel, you can see that Yang Guo truely respected Dugu, and Dugu might find him a worthy student/opponent and not kill him. ^^
    ||~::Rampant--Darkness+]<<
    From cradle to coffin||shall my wickedness be your [passion]

Quote Originally Posted by ToOn99
    Yeah, I think by the time he masters all DG's skills, he will be able to beat sweeper monk in less than 10 stances.
    Yes! Post-ROCH Yeung Gor will kill Sweeper Monk.

Knowing ToOn99 all this time, and reading some of his posts on Dugu in the past, I'd say he was being sarcastic

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    Yes! Post-ROCH Yeung Gor will kill Sweeper Monk.
    With a Tomahawk cruise misile maybe.

or even a nuke??
    TaZzY InC

Not much Yang Guo talk lately, so giving this topic some life.

Dugu Qiubai and Yang Guo have very similar personality. Both men are lonesome and self-centered. Sure, Yang Guo may have whined about being lonely a few times, but this guy Dugu Qiubai actually wrote his loneliness whining on his grave! I can totally picture the Demonic Swordsman living his latter life with constant moaning of disappointment.

Besides, Yang Guo didn't complain too much about losing his arm, did he.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

yah, and I don't imagine dugu being a stickler for discipline either... more like a feng qingyang type, which would suit his sword style, like when FQY says LHC is naturally suited to learning DG9J

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Dugu Qiubai and Yang Guo have very similar personality. Both men are lonesome and self-centered.
    Yeung Gor was the better man of the two based on what we know, however. We know Yeung Gor had a sense of compassion for others and a sense of moral duty to defend the weak and uphold justice (although Little Dragon Girl could sometimes knock his priorities out of place). There's no evidence that Dook Goo Kau Bai did the same (and probably not, because had he been a hero like Gwok Jing or Yeung Gor, he likely would not have been forgotten as he had been).

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Yeung Gor was the better man of the two based on what we know, however. We know Yeung Gor had a sense of compassion for others and a sense of moral duty to defend the weak and uphold justice (although Little Dragon Girl could sometimes knock his priorities out of place). There's no evidence that Dook Goo Kau Bai did the same (and probably not, because had he been a hero like Gwok Jing or Yeung Gor, he likely would not have been forgotten as he had been).
    Ken, you forgot the inscription about the Purple Flexible sword. DGQB threw it into a fathomless valley because he regretted hurting a righteous man with it. That is not the behaviour of an immoral person. There is not enough information about DGQB to make any real character assessments.