Page 1 of 8 12345678 LastLast

Thread: Gregory Charles Rivers

Default Gregory Charles Rivers

I don't know his name but this guy plays most of all the European stereotypes in TVB series for over a decade now. His Cantonese is quite good - I always suspected his Cantonese was far better than the directors would allow him to speak; if his Cantonese was too well-pronounced it wouldn't fit the stereotype. Just a guess though.

He was Marco Polo in Eternal Happiness...
    The pompous Frenchman in A Family Man...
    English teacher in A Point of No Return...

He usually plays missionary, foreign teacher, businessman, cop bosses roles.

Anyone know his name or anything about him?

if i remember correctly, his has a chinese name...Ho Kok Weng.

By any chance, is there anybody out there who would like to see him act in more meatier roles like supporting actor or even lead a whole series? I think after working for TVB for a decade or so the guy deserves a chance to prove himself as star material. That's just wishful thinking but I've seen him on dramas like this one where he plays this gal's best friend (Can't remember the series.) and I thought, "Hey, this guy has entertaining." Or maybe it has more something to do with a foreigner speaking my native language...

Anyhoo, he's alright. Don't know much about him other than the fact that he doesn't tend to do too much wuxia.

He was originally an Australian, but he's been using his Chinese name all these years. Anyway, his name is:
    Ho Kwok Wing (Cantonese)
    He Guo Rong (Mandarin)
    Gregory Charles Rivers (English)

He took his Chinese name from Leslie Cheung. He hoped he could be as successful as Cheung was.

He usually acts in the Qing dynasty era coz during that time when the Westerns are in China. Or he will plays the Inspector in the police station when Hong Kong was still belongs to the British. He appreared most TVB series in the 90s.

There is another "gwai-lo" that appear in a lot of TVB series back in the laste 80s & early 90s. His name is Steven who can also speak Cantonese.
    *A smile is contagious; be a carrier*

Quote Originally Posted by Radken
    By any chance, is there anybody out there who would like to see him act in more meatier roles like supporting actor or even lead a whole series? I think after working for TVB for a decade or so the guy deserves a chance to prove himself as star material. That's just wishful thinking but I've seen him on dramas like this one where he plays this gal's best friend (Can't remember the series.) and I thought, "Hey, this guy has entertaining." Or maybe it has more something to do with a foreigner speaking my native language...

Anyhoo, he's alright. Don't know much about him other than the fact that he doesn't tend to do too much wuxia.
    I agree. His acting is competent and he deserves much more credit than he gets. He's always fun to watch and play his roles with comic relief when they require it.

I don't know about Ho Kwok Wing being a leading man in an entire series, but that idea made me giggle a little! Ho Kwok Wing the Romantic Swordsman and Master of 18 Palms!

I don't see why he shouldn't get more substantial roles. After all, Hong Kong is a multicultural and dynamic place with many people from all over the world. They also have interesting stories to tell.

you should hear his radio interview, he tells of how he actually got into the business and what motivated him to learn canto.

http://www.rthk.org.hk/asx/rthk/radi...n/20040927.asx

Quote Originally Posted by cmu_wasabi
    you should hear his radio interview, he tells of how he actually got into the business and what motivated him to learn canto.

http://www.rthk.org.hk/asx/rthk/radi...n/20040927.asx
    Do u know where I can download the whole interview clip instead of having to stream? With streaming, I will not be able to listen to the interview offline or when the clip is not in the server anymore.

Can u guys list the series and movies where Ho Kwok Wing has considerable screentime? I want to check them out.

I only know 2:
    Her Fatal Ways 4 (movie)
    A Handful Of Love (series)

Do u know where I can download the whole interview clip instead of having to stream? With streaming, I will not be able to listen to the interview offline or when the clip is not in the server anymore.
    i'm not sure but i guess you could find it in you temporary folder?
    Last edited by susie; 11-02-04 at 05:56 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by simayee
    I don't know about Ho Kwok Wing being a leading man in an entire series, but that idea made me giggle a little! Ho Kwok Wing the Romantic Swordsman and Master of 18 Palms!
    That wouldn't be such a bad idea. Instead of rehashing old Jing Yong novels relentlessly TVB would actually come up with something new or perhaps, add a whole different twist to an old favorite. Like Ho Kwok Wing heir to the Heavenly Sword and Dragon Saber where his parents became outcasts of society not because his mom was a member of an "evil" cult but because she was White. Diversity becomes the main theme of the story.

"Focus your chi into the crucial aacupressure points. You should feel a tingling sensation afterwards as powerful energy explodes throughout your body... uh, will this kill me?"

Instant gold.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Use Streambox VCR or Stream Down to download it....that's how I did it.

oh i love this guy! he's so good in all his roles! he's everywhere whenever a western guy is needed! the latest i've seen him is in VOH1 where he played the western prince bernice almost married he's also in lady flower fist
    cherrie
    currently watching: best selling secrets (tvb), the money-maker recipe (tvb), forensic heroes 2 (tvb), super trio supreme (tvb)

Does anybody else find it pecuilar whenever he and a group of English actors are asked to play Americans like they did in "The W Files?" Can't notice the pale white skin or their thick English accent.

i've seen this guy since i was little! he was in sooo many series but played small roles. i dunno why but i remember him most when he was in Family Man and played Eileen Yeow's boyfriend who hits her...

hahaha! he does programming in Toronto.
    what's funnier is, i found out Mr. Rivers knows my pops.

Quote Originally Posted by tinlunlau
    hahaha! he does programming in Toronto.
    what's funnier is, i found out Mr. Rivers knows my pops.
    Yeah, I saw him giving scripting advice in the Macintosh Scripting Systems newsgroup.
    Last edited by kidd; 11-08-04 at 01:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by cmu_wasabi
    Use Streambox VCR or Stream Down to download it....that's how I did it.
    Thanks for the suggestions. Stream Down didn't work for me. I try using it. 2 times I downloaded the files, but both time the files are incomplete eventhough the download is show to be 100% complete.
    I finally found a suitable program called Net Transport. This program is most suitable for unstable lines (which is the condition of my adsl line) because when the line is down or extremely slow, u can pause and continue the downloading when the line is back up.

i'm not really sure, but i fink is gwai lo is also in To Get Unstuck in Time. he plays da boss of roger's mum.

Quote Originally Posted by annaij7211
    i'm not really sure, but i fink is gwai lo is also in To Get Unstuck in Time.
    Yes, and he speaks all those gibberish-sounding chemistry terms. Bet most of the people whose native language is Cantonese can't do that.