Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Malaysian Chinese Series

Default Malaysian Chinese Series

Is anyone watching the series 'The Secret of Love' currently being aired on TV2 at 12.30am?
    Does anyone know what is the name of the actor who played Ah Chiu. I don't think he is a local guy since his voice is dubbed.

I'm really glad that Malaysia has started producing Cantonese TV series again and getting back all the old actors (by old I mean those actors under HVD label that acted in HVD produced chinese series in the 90s). I really miss those actors. From the episode I saw tonight, the Malaysia actors seems to have really improved a lot. Their acting certainly is not inferior to the HK actors. Of course there are still some inferior acting from the minor actors, but the acting of the main cast is very natural. But I have not seen any emotional scenes yet. So, I cannot gauge how good they are in imotional scenes.

Btw, the actor who played Ah Tak is really cute. Funny why I never consider him cutev during his HVD days.

Lastly, does anyone know whether these locally produced series will be available for purchase or not? I have only seen 'Gei Zhi Dong Guai 1' sold in some video store but didn't see any other series.

Is there a website with their pictures?

I've always been curious about the Cantonese drama scene in Malaysia. I remembered some of the early SBC (Singapore Broadcasting Corporation) actors went over to Malaysia to further their careers. I can only recall faces now. There's one I still remember, Zhang Shuifa. Is he one of the actors under the HVD label?

Is Zhang Shui Fa Singaporean or Malaysian?

Quote Originally Posted by wuchang
    Is there a website with their pictures?

I've always been curious about the Cantonese drama scene in Malaysia. I remembered some of the early SBC (Singapore Broadcasting Corporation) actors went over to Malaysia to further their careers. I can only recall faces now. There's one I still remember, Zhang Shuifa. Is he one of the actors under the HVD label?
    Unfortunately, I don't know any website on Malaysian chinese series or actors. I'm still searching.

Sorry, dunno who is Zhang Shuifa. Actually, I have forgotten most of the names of out Malaysian chinese actors because I haven't heard from them for a long time. I only recognise their faces.

there's one quite nice family series......it's called "Homecoming"...personally,i think it's a bit like the hk's "Virtues of Harmony" cuz all the characters love to interfere with other ppl's business and constantly jumping into conclusion

Quote Originally Posted by Mysterious
    there's one quite nice family series......it's called "Homecoming"...personally,i think it's a bit like the hk's "Virtues of Harmony" cuz all the characters love to interfere with other ppl's business and constantly jumping into conclusion
    I was racking my brain yesterday trying to remember the English title of 'Gei Zhi Dong Guai'. Thanks.

To bad I was unable to watching this series. I don't have Astro, and when the series is aired in NTV7, the time is too early (I'm at work at the time).

Aha! Managed to tune into a fuzzy TV2. Zhang Shuifa is definitely in this series.
    I can't remember what is his nationality.

Here's a picture. Credit to this TCS Drama Serials site

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img107.exs.cx/img107/6711/zsf.jpg')

Who's that girl with the ultra short hair that looks like Cheung Ho Yee from certain angles?

Good grief....looking at those pictures, seems like it is pretty old-fashion on the hairstyles and clothing especially the actresses. I do not recognise anyone of them.

Hey kidd, in Malaysia still have NTV7? How many local channels are there now besides TV1, TV2, TV3 & NTV7?
    *A smile is contagious; be a carrier*

Aha! Managed to tune into a fuzzy TV2. Zhang Shuifa is definitely in this series.
    I can't remember what is his nationality.

Here's a picture. Credit to this TCS Drama Serials site

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://img107.exs.cx/img107/6711/zsf.jpg')

Who's that girl with the ultra short hair that looks like Cheung Ho Yee from certain angles?
    How long old is this picture? The only actor in 'The Secret Of The Heart' that resemble this guy in the picture is the actor who played Ah Tak's cousin, the doctor whose wife is currently pregnant, and that actor has a lot more meat in him than shown in this picture. That actor look very well-built, unlike this skinny guy in the picture.

I do not know the full name of that short haired girl, but she is widely known as Chui Ling. Other than acting, she also host radio and television show.
    Last edited by kidd; 11-10-04 at 04:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by bubcas
    Good grief....looking at those pictures, seems like it is pretty old-fashion on the hairstyles and clothing especially the actresses. I do not recognise anyone of them.

Hey kidd, in Malaysia still have NTV7? How many local channels are there now besides TV1, TV2, TV3 & NTV7?
    Currently, there r 6 local channel in Malaysia. TV1, TV2, TV3, NTV7, Channel 9 and 8tv. The last 2 channels are pretty new, so don't have complete coverage. Many places still cannot get Channel 9 and 8tv. Even those who can tune in to the channels, the reception might not be clear.
    Malaysia also has 1 satalite channel called Astro (which is a paid channel). 8TV recently signed with Astro. So, for some area who cannot get 8tv, they can view the channel through Astro.

Btw, just to be clear . Those actors shown in the TCS Drama Serials site are not Malaysia actors (except maybe Zhang Shuifa). The only 1 I recognise is Zhang Shuifa. The others, I have never seen before and I know quite a lot of Malaysian chinese actors because I was (an still am) a fan of local chinese dramas when HVD was all the rage back then.
    Last edited by kidd; 11-09-04 at 10:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bubcas
    Those are old pictures from an 80s Singaporean Production. It's not a Malaysian production. It's the only picture I can find of Zhang Shuifa. The fashion and hairstyles were definitely the trendiest of those times. Imagine what people 20 years from now will think of the fashion in our present time.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    How long old is this picture. The only actor in 'The Secret Of The Heart' that resemble this guy in the picture is the actor who played Ah Tak's cousin, the doctor whose's wife is currently pregnant, and that actor has a lot more meat in him than shown in this picture. That actor look very well-built, unlike this skinny guy in the picture.

I do not know the full name of that short haired girl, but she is widely known as Chui Ling. Other than acting, she also host radio and television show.
    Thanks!

The picture is very old. I suspect it was taken in the 80s. The few scenes he appeared in yesterday's episode had him talking on the phone in an office. No face to face interaction with another actor. It should be him, his features are quite unique.

What happened to HVD? You mean there was a break where no Chinese dramas were produced in Malaysia?

What happened to HVD? You mean there was a break where no Chinese dramas were produced in Malaysia?
    Kind of. I think there are still 1 or 2 series produce form time to time but the quality is not as good as the HVD one, so I didn't keep tap anymore after that.

Last time, HVD use to film the series first, after that they sell it to our local TV stations. Usually the station who take this series in is the government owned station. But these stations suddenly change policy without warning. Giving the reason that they want to maintain the quality of the programs shown in the station, they refuse to buy locally produced completed series. They are only willing to buy series that they oversee from production to completion. i.e., u have to let them know about the concept, plot etc beforehand and see they approve or not. I think this caused big loses for HVD. After this policy was implemented, HVD stopped producing local chinese drama. Many artists under HVD lable losed their job. There was actually feature/seqment shown in NTV7 news section sometime ago, where they interview these ex-HVD artists and they voice out the hardship they faced as actors in Malaysia due to lack of government support in local chinese TV industry. After HVD stop producing drama, the actors either change jobs or go overseas to further their career because they cannot get jobs locally. All they get to do are some advertisments and the occasional chinese new year shows.
    Last edited by kidd; 11-11-04 at 03:48 AM.

I remember Kong Kah Weng and Po Li Ling. They were one of those hits back then. Then, there are others whose names I can't remember.... but pretty famous too. One of my mates from school was an extra in one of HVD series. He was the waiter. Haha!

I remember they brought in actors from HK supposed to boost the quality but I sometimes find the local actors did a way better job. They just didn't have any great directors, I think.
    "Experience is what you get when you didn't get what you want."

No wonder those pictures looked like in the 80s. Yeah, same here I only remember those Malaysian actors & actresses in the 90s but I don't know their names. HVD used to bring in some HK stars to join acting with the Malaysian stars. I have to say during the time, the Malaysian stars acting is very good.

Thanks kidd for filling me some new channels in Malaysia.

Anyone knew or remember some veteran Malaysian actresses like Lai Ming & Hon Ying still acting?
    Last edited by bubcas; 11-10-04 at 12:34 PM.
    *A smile is contagious; be a carrier*

Thanks kidd for the history of HVD. A pity though.

Just finish watching today's episode of 'The Secret of Love'. A very infuriating episode.

I really hate that lady boss. Such a cheap and despicable woman. She knows from day 1 that Ah Chiu is married, but she still uses lots of scheme and tricks and tries her damndest to steal Ah Chiu away from his wife, even to the point of drenching herself in the pouring rain to lure Ah Chiu to her. She obviously wants Ah Chiu to leave his wife, but act all selfless, telling Ah Chiu that she can't help loving him and she only wants him to know, but doesn't want anything from him and doesn't want to break up his marriage. But then behind his back, she go and call his wife to put doubts in her mind. She purposely ask Ah Chiu to go out with her alone with her then call his wife to come and see (before that she has bought a bracelet for Ah Chiu to give to his wife, say it's to make up for causing Ah Chiu to miss his wedding aniversary and now she use her knowledge of this bracelet to convince his wife, saying he bought it with his girlfriend and that girlfriend has an indentical one and say he is meeting said girlfrlend at XXX and ask his wife to go and see). Luckily his wife didn't go, but the seed of doubt has been sowed.

With this relentless woman, I really can't blame Ah Chiu if he finally succumb this her manipulation (he has already succumb a little bit). With her tearful declaration of love, it's really hard for Ah Chiu to be unmoved.

Of all the couples, my favourite is Ah Tak and his wife. They really complemented each other and they are so loving and harmonious.

Quote Originally Posted by kidd
    Unfortunately, I don't know any website on Malaysian chinese series or actors. I'm still searching.
    Hey kidd! I found a chinese forum from Malaysia that discusses TV serials:

http://chinese.cari.com.my/myforum/f...ay.php?fid=160

Seems like there's a period serial being shown on TV1 on weekends called ( 梦的边缘 ).

There's also news about 300 episodes drama called ( 天机变 ). Any more news on that?

Sorry, Wuchang, so long didn't reply u. I didn't have anymore news about M'sia Chinese Drama. I am not watching the new one, because I don't like the cast.
    Last edited by kidd; 12-30-04 at 09:34 PM.

No prob.

I read from the chinese forum that HVD is still around. Someone working part time or something posted a reply.

Found a more recent photo of Zhang Shuifa. Looks like he's a Malaysian. It's from an article about Malaysian artistes who once worked in Singapore's TV industry.

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.chinapress.com.my/data/2004-08-24/entertainment/0824p04.jpg')

http://www.chinapress.com.my/content...t=0824en06.txt

Do post links to the any news about Malaysian Chinese series if you find any.