Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The 21st Century in wuxia universes

Default The 21st Century in wuxia universes

Wuxia fiction, by definition, is not reality. Nevertheless, many of the stories, especially Jin Yong's, occur in a fictional universe that very closely parallels reality. They are not complete works of fantasy like LORD OF THE RINGS or STAR WARS. DGSD took place during the Northern Sung Dynasty, LOCH/ROCH took place during the Southern Sung Dynasty, HSDS took place during the Yuan Dynasty, etc. Fictional characters interacted regularly with historical persons, and occassionally even took part in significant historical events.

If that's the case, then logically, in the wuxia universe, time eventually reaches the modern era...the 21st Century. What would the 21st Century be like in a world that actually had individuals like Kiu Fung, Gwok Jing, Yeung Gor, Cheung Mo Gei, and their incredible martial arts skills in its past? In *that* 21st Century, could any of those martial arts skills still be in existence?

There can be only one!

Quote Originally Posted by Dennis Chen
    There can be only one!
    HIGHLANDER reference, DC?

Maybe like the "Kill Bill" movies

Ha. So hard.

Probably Young and Dangerous! Something like "Sup Gansta"
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

More like Star Wars, probably. Although Star Wars actually happened a long, long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away

Some of you probably know this already: Oriental Heroes!
    Huang Xiaohu, Shi Heilong and others.
    But I have the feeling Tony is greatly influenced by Jin Yong. I mean look at the name of the arts there.
    There are two things a person should never be angry at, what they can help, and what they cannot.
    Plato

Quote Originally Posted by SolidSnake
    Some of you probably know this already: Oriental Heroes!
    Huang Xiaohu, Shi Heilong and others.
    But I have the feeling Tony is greatly influenced by Jin Yong. I mean look at the name of the arts there.
    Huang Xiaohu's 9 Yang level is even higher than ZWJ's, right?

The Yi Jin Jing in Long Fu Mun would put the one in JY to shame.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    Wuxia fiction, by definition, is not reality. Nevertheless, many of the stories, especially Jin Yong's, occur in a fictional universe that very closely parallels reality. They are not complete works of fantasy like LORD OF THE RINGS or STAR WARS. DGSD took place during the Northern Sung Dynasty, LOCH/ROCH took place during the Southern Sung Dynasty, HSDS took place during the Yuan Dynasty, etc. Fictional characters interacted regularly with historical persons, and occassionally even took part in significant historical events.

If that's the case, then logically, in the wuxia universe, time eventually reaches the modern era...the 21st Century. What would the 21st Century be like in a world that actually had individuals like Kiu Fung, Gwok Jing, Yeung Gor, Cheung Mo Gei, and their incredible martial arts skills in its past? In *that* 21st Century, could any of those martial arts skills still be in existence?

Great question. There were many movies that portay that scenerio. One had 2 guys fell into a underground cave and found kungfu books and ate something that loos like poo and received alot of inner power. They used their new found skills to make their dreams come true.

So a 21 Century world of Wuxia would still work, of course it's harder to rule the world with those powers of the past since a gun can make any ordinary person just as dangerous.

The closest thing I can think of is Video Game RPG's, specifically The Final Fantasy Series, with it's pseudo future worlds. The characters have 'skills' simliar to wuxia characters. In these worlds guns play minor roles (plus they don't kill in one shot). Skills/magic rule. hmmm, interesting question. It gives me an idea to change the setting of my novel from ancient times to a 'Wuxia Future'. I would imagine therewould still be clans and sects and whatnot...
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

final fantasy rocks

imagine someone using qing gong to escape from bullets ala the Matrix
    TaZzY InC

In the modern era, I predict Shaolin monks would win each World Cup.

Mega Dragon Vs Tiger (basterdised futuristic version of Oriental Heroes) features the fusion of kung fu with technology. If you want to know how powerful the techniques are give your enemy a copy of the comics and watch as they slit their wrists! (Yes, it IS that bad)
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time

Talking

don forgot street fighter
    this is the 21st century in wuxia univereses

mmmmm i wonder why don someone translate street fighter comic by hui king sum
    in his comic he insert wuxia story in the 21st century
    quite interesting
    and i also read one more comic by him but i don know the real name
    in malay it called 'juara wira' so in english maybe 'champion fighter '-hehehe
    this comic also was in the 21st century
    zhao weizhou xun 4 eva

Yeah, Street Fighter=Modern day wuxia, basically.

Shun Goku Satsu!

Gotta love Akuma

Quote Originally Posted by Zhuge Liang
    Mega Dragon Vs Tiger (basterdised futuristic version of Oriental Heroes) features the fusion of kung fu with technology. If you want to know how powerful the techniques are give your enemy a copy of the comics and watch as they slit their wrists! (Yes, it IS that bad)
    I assume you are reading the English/Mandarin version of it? Could you please mention the names of the two main characters there? The version I read is translated into Indonesian, and the name of the two main characters are Taksaka (Mega Dragon) and Puma (Tiger). I'm curious about their names in English/Mandarin.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: Unfortunately the comic series was cancelled out only when it reached around 30 or 40 episodes years ago, so I only knew the *beginning* of it.
    Last edited by rabadi; 11-12-04 at 09:03 PM.

Coolest comic I ever read of futuristic wuxia was Hai hu (Sea Tiger) and it's cool sequel Wu Shen...(God of fighting)

The story is about a guy Bai Cheun Lang (Hai hu) who is a wuxia version of the condor hero, going around helping people and fighting crime with super skills. Later he encounters a large criminal organisation with super martial artists (led by Orca and Blue Dream) as the leaders....

Their powers are measured in Horsepower strangely. There are lots of cool moves and power ups.

The sequel WuShen is set in the distant future, where the descendants of Bai now have an empire, and are at war with future criminal organisation Blue Dream. Much of the martial arts skill has been lost in some sort of dark age, and their skills are less than half of Hai Hu at his peak. Of course, later on, some breakthrough enables them to reach the pinnacle of human strength.

Anyone read this comic?

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ivle.nus.edu.sg/databank/ibank/u0206089/wall8.jpg') $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ivle.nus.edu.sg/databank/ibank/u0206089/pendekarlaut.gif') $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ivle.nus.edu.sg/databank/ibank/u0206089/orga.gif') $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ivle.nus.edu.sg/databank/ibank/u0206089/pneraka.gif') $this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://ivle.nus.edu.sg/databank/ibank/u0206089/hitomi.jpg')

Quote Originally Posted by rabadi
    I assume you are reading the English/Mandarin version of it? Could you please mention the names of the two main characters there? The version I read is translated into Indonesian, and the name of the two main characters are Taksaka (Mega Dragon) and Puma (Tiger). I'm curious about their names in English/Mandarin.

Thanks in advance.

P.S: Unfortunately the comic series was cancelled out only when it reached around 30 or 40 episodes years ago, so I only knew the *beginning* of it.
    I think it is the same one. I read the first few english issues of it.
    TristeCoeur on Lady Yang: Someone needs 2 tell her that when u want 2 save people from being killed, u need to hurry the hell up, not play bull#### music & dance around. Her mission failed big time