Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ong Bak!!

Default Ong Bak!!

I can't believe no ones mentioned Ong Bak yet. Awesome Thai movie with A LOT of muay thai kickboxing goodness. The stunts that the main character does are amazing (he does it all himself). There a nice scene where he runs over peoples heads (without any wires), envoking the memory of Jet Li in Fong Sai Yuk. The story is pretty basic, but I recommend watching it for the awesome action. No CG here people!
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

I have mentioned it in the Recommended Asian Movie thread, it's a good movie, Tony Ja has an amazing ability, and heard that Luc Besson will direct Ong Bak II or something...

Didn't really give a damn about the story, just daydreamed through them until the action scenes, where I go 'holy f(beep)ing s(beep)' with my dad.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

This was a hell of a movie. The fighting scenes were great. The story was horrible but its an action movie so the story isnt important.

no! Luc Besson is not directing Ong Bak 2. it'll only get disasterous if he did.
    Tony Jaa is currently finishing "Tom Yum Goong" at the moment. but until then, he's been a special guest at an NBA game performing live stunts.

"Ong Bak 2" is in planning...or so i've heard.

Quote Originally Posted by bobo
    This was a hell of a movie. The fighting scenes were great. The story was horrible but its an action movie so the story isnt important.
    The story is always important if you ask me. There are action movies with good stories out there.
    My obsessions: Joy Division, New Order, Bones, The Office.

Do bears bear? Do bees bee?

Well yea. Movies like the Matrix and Star Wars had good stories but movies like Ong Bak and Crouching Tiger are all about the action scenes. Its the kind of movie you watch and then talk about the fighting scenes.

with Ong Bak, i agree with.
    but Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon?!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif')

Yes, after I watched CTHD, I talked with my friends about the crappy fighting scenes

There's a new movie out, which features the choreographer from Ong Bak. I remember seeing the trailer somewhere (can't remember the title though..). The movie looks like it will focus on insane stunts and fight scenes, just like Ong Bak If anyone finds the trailer, watch out for the stunt between 2 trucks! the guy almost gets run over !
    Last edited by JigSta; 11-12-04 at 09:28 AM.
    All that's needed to say have been said, why say anything more? The man is drunk, why stay any longer?....
    Quote Originally Posted by Question
    if CarMAN Lee hair is green, then am sure carMAN #$%@ a dog to give birth to you.

Quote Originally Posted by tinlunlau
    with Ong Bak, i agree with.
    but Crouching Tiger Hidden Dragon?!

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/images/smilies/rolleyes.gif')

Hahaha i dont know thats the first thing that popped into my head.

Like Wu-Tang said everyone at least talked about its crappy fight scenes.

Quote Originally Posted by JigSta
    There's a new movie out, which features the choreographer from Ong Bak. I remember seeing the trailer somewhere (can't remember the title though..). The movie looks like it will focus on insane stunts and fight scenes, just like Ong Bak If anyone finds the trailer, watch out for the stunt between 2 trucks! the guy almost gets run over !

it's called "Born to Fight" and it's due on DVD sometime next month in Thailand.

Gosh, this must have been ONE OF THE BEST MARTIAL ARTS MOVIE I've ever seen ever to this date.

The action sequences are intense, hard-kicking, a$$-crunching, and brutal.

Best of all, you can feel the hits and blows, and you feel the impact and they hurt.

Oucccchhhh !!!! That flying elbow strike to the skull must have been hurt.

This is what martial art movies have been missing ever since Bruce Lee shocked the world with his talent.

Now we know that Muay-Thai Kickboxing is all about

I'm afraid to say .... and I don't want to say it... but this movie makes all other martial arts that comes from HK look like craps.

Those Wuxia stuff are fantastic, imaginative and artistic, but if you want real Martial Arts movie without any wires, then .... I'm afraid to say... Tony Jaa is the man. The guy can kick REAL A$$.

Move over Jet Li..... Move over aging Jackie Chan.... even Bruce Lee seems pale in some fighting scene.

THIS IS A MUST TO WATCH for all Martial Arts Practitioners and Movie Fans.

Here is some Ong Bak clips tht WU Tang clan did for the flik
    http://www.ocmuaythai.com/

its down on the botom

i cant wait for the flik...i guess its supose to be out n feb 05
    it looks to kik a$$

No! You can't compare anyone with Bruce Lee! Bruce Lee's the SHIEEEEET!
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by bobo
    Well yea. Movies like the Matrix and Star Wars had good stories but movies like Ong Bak and Crouching Tiger are all about the action scenes. Its the kind of movie you watch and then talk about the fighting scenes.
    Matrix....you've got to be kidding me.

Yes, Matrix 1 (not the crap sequels) does have a really great storyline.
    Swifty, Writing

This was one of the best martial arts movies from the last few years. It's fresh and stuff but it's not comparable to the stuff from the 80s like Sammo and Jackie movies. This movie's plot really sucked but that didn't matter i just watched for the action and the action was top notch. All the hits were mostly realy contact and it was a treat to watch a movie like this because there hasn't been a good martial arts movie in a long time. But choreography wise it's nothing compared to Sammo Hung, Jackie Chan and Lau Kar Leung movies. This was a movie where u don't get to see that many hand to hand choreo but u see a lot of contact and one guy kicking everybody's ***. Overall it was a pretty sweet movie. I bought the DVD and this will definetely be on my repeat viewing list
    "If you put water into a cup, it becomes the cup. You put it in a bottle it becomes the bottle. You put it in a teapot it becomes the teapot. Now water can flow, or it can crash. Be water my friends.

Default "Born to fight" is released !

Quote Originally Posted by tinlunlau
    it's called "Born to Fight" and it's due on DVD sometime next month in Thailand.
    "Born To Fight"

New Film From Panna Rittikrai

Director of "Ong Bak"!

this high-adrenaline action movie is finally being sold, although on VCDs only and only in Thai...

Movie director: Panna Rittikrai (Punna Littikrai in other transliteration)

Starring: Choopong Changprong, Amornthep Waewsaeng, Somrak Kumsing

Although it is not yet dubbed into English and even no Englsih subtitles - the action speaks for itself and worthy of seeing it NOW, even on VCD - instead of waiting indefinetely for international version of DVD.

by the way, it is well know "secret" that most of asian action movies like "Crouching tiger...", "Hero" and newly released "House of flying daggers" appear on western screens with huge delays comparing to their presentations in the countries of origin.

Movie itself was in the cinemas in Thailand only few months back (Aug more exactly)... and VCD arrived to stores just few days ago - on Dec 15th !

and the story is easily understood simply by watching...

The story line is simple enough:

Young policemen has lost his friend and parnter in dangerous operation for nabbing one of the most notorious drug lords (in bold "war on drugs" natioanl hunt out).

Instead of drawning his sorrow in alchohol (as in most similar western scenarias) he agrees to accompany his younger sister who is successfull sports-girl and her few friends, all young bright athlets on their trip to some poor mountain village in Northern Thailand in their charitable project.

Action sequence developes suddenly and instantly as gang of the same group the arrested drug lord was learding arrives and killed indiscriminatively anyone on the sight and spot; equiped with latest high-tech sofisticated gudgets they demand from Prime minister the reliese of their leader or else.... the Tomahawk missle (or its like) would be send to the City of Angles (Bangkok)...

young cop and his friends-athlets are the only ones who can stop them - even commandos sent by government are hapless....

the leading characters are all REAL famous Thai athlets - teakwando, and box champ, football (soccer) star, gymnastics, acrobatics and even national Thai kind of sport less known in the west than famous Muay Thai but not less popular in Thailand - called something like "se-pak- tra-klow" or something like combination of soccer, tennis and vlooeyball played only by feet and head over the net...

of course one who understands Thai can get more meaning of this movie than simple no-stop stunts and action sequence - like the spirit of Thai people, respect for King and pride for country, centuries long hatred for insurgents from Myanmar (Burma) who killed indiscriminately innocent people.... even in modern times - and for same reasons - for fun.... and even some politics involved - like the literal war declared by Thai government against drug dealers; and even some "under..." information and western governments supproting guerillas like the gang in this movie - with all sophisticated weapons etc. - under so called help for certain ethnic groups liberation fighters who are most often are part of virtually independent and autonomous "governemtns" in Golden Triangle....

my g/f said that such groups realy did and do kill indiscriminately innocent people - like whole group of students on the schoolbus somehwere in the North Thailand....

I'm just truying to say - it is not simply some sort of fictional storilines - many things relate to true events and have certain meaning, even quite deep...

but that is not so apparent as the performance of these people - young and daring, so talantive ! even that little girl doing those typical Muay Thai kicks (my g/f was telling me the traditinal Thai names for each !!!)

very authentic and REAL stuff !!! that's what attracts especially western fans. although to big surprise local Thai auditory skeptically shrug: "what's so special about these stunts?" and keep their opinion that Thai movies not good enough comparing to visual spec. effects and "excellence" of Hollywood blockbusters...

perhaps they'll gradually start to appretiate their countrymen's work through the perception of western auditory ?

read more about it:

http://www.themovieblog.com/archives..._to_fight.html

http://www.themovieblog.com/archives...er_online.html

http://www.themovieblog.com/archives...f_ong_bak.html

and here is the trailer :

http://www.borntofightmovie.com/movie02.html