Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Ranking of JY Protagonists

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin

13. Yang Guo

The worst of them all. Extremely emotional, heavy mood swings, more feminine than DFBB since the day he was born, and can't use his intellegence when faced with difficult emotional situation. Worst of all, he lives for a woman, the worst kind of men.
    extremely emotional?
    is that really a bad point?

heavy mood swings,
    depends on how u judge it

feminine...
    depends on how u see him as

can't use his intelligence when faced with difficult emotional situation...
    lol i think evry1 lets their emotions cloud their judgements sometime or another.

he lives for a woman...
    k let me ask u sth. If yg was taken care of by gj, taught by him, u think he would do anything for gj? i think he would even die for him.(provided yg alrdy knows wut rilli happened to his dad)

the worst kind of men
    meaning yuebuqun is a better guy than yg?

And here's my list, it may not be really logical but that's just how I would rank those guys:

1. YG
    Unlike most of JY heroes that simply did what they were expected to by others all their lives or were forced by others or lucky circumstances into becoming heroes, YG managed to become a hero inspite of most people around him, not because of them, that's really important to me. Though young YG might have been emotionally unstable I wouldn't say it's his fault, but that of most of those that were supposed to care for him as a young boy, so I tend to blame them for the trouble he created during his youth, and after the 16 years separation he was second to none when it comes to beeing heroic.

2. XF
    A real hero despite his character flaws, which he managed to overcome on his own.

3. ZWJ
    Oh no, he couldn't instantly choose between 4 awesome (as far as he knew) girls, naturally that means he was completely indecisive and weak, like how he constantly changed his mind about uniting China's martial artists or how he was willing to forget about revenging his parents for the greater good, such a weakling!
    I mean seriously, besides his girl problems he always seemed to do pretty well to me, he knew his strengths and weaknesses well and acted accordingly, finally managing to free China from the Mongols, what more do you want? Not beeing able to realise what kind of person ZZR really is is my main problem with him, but I can see how a beautiful face could fool someone, so he's kinda forgiven.

4. XZ
    No matter what he does it will always seem less heroic than some other characters to me because he pretty much got everything given to him, and doing heroic acts just isn't particulary heroic if your going to win no matter what you do.
    However unlike some other characters, he actually seemed willing to not only go and do some good with all the power he got, he actually seemed to be appreciative of those that gave his power to him, unlike some other characters, so that's a huge bonus for him, and he was a genuine good guy. Plus, I just love the XY sect.

5. SPT
    Not particulary impressive, but not that bad either.

6. GJ
    A very good hero that always simply followed his upbringing, but he get's huge minus points from me for beeing a pretty bad father/head of a family and for beeing involved in the moronic creation of the Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber. That always seemed to be one of the stupidest ideas in all of JY's novels to me.

7. LHC
    Just seemed in over his head to me, plus his inability to recognize what kind of person YBQ was with the leaders of Shaolin and Wudang as well as a girl he wasn't even worthy of practically holding blinking neon signs warning him in front of him always annoyed me a lot, plus he just seemed rather shallow in how he made his opinions of people as well as his later decision against leading the Sun Moon sect.

8. YCZ
    Not really a bad person, but I was waiting for the entire novel for someone to come and really humiliate him, like beat him in 1 stance or seal his accupoints whithout even looking or something like that.

9. CJL
    Look, it's a moron.

10. WZB
    I don't care if he had a heart of gold, the guy was a rapist. Some people hate YG for having some slight problems controling his emotions but when WZB rapes and poisons his way through China and beyond that's OK because he means well?

11.DY
    Oh, look, it's the ultimate internal energy and lightness skill. Who did I learn them from? Why, they are, ummm, well, my Duan family's skills? Die, you unappreciative piece of shit! The ultimate offensive skill and hard work of many generations of ancestors also has a lower priority in his mind than stalking some pretty girl that doesn't even like him, as does his duty to his people as a member of the Duan family. This guy got everything he could possibly want and more for free, yet seemed to think absolutely nothing of it and the people that gave it to him. He never worked really hard for anything in his entire life, even when he was trying to get WYY instead of doing so by acting like a hero in front of her or at least trying to think the situation through he rather decided to stalk her and hope that she would somehow fall for him, somehow. Pathetic.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterM
    6. GJ A very good hero that always simply followed his upbringing, but he get's huge minus points from me for beeing a pretty bad father/head of a family and for beeing involved in the moronic creation of the Heaven Sword and Dragon Saber. That always seemed to be one of the stupidest ideas in all of JY's novels to me.
    I won't dispute the bad parenting point because, yes, Gwok Jing did absolutely screw up the upbringing of Gwok Fu (although his wife had an equally guilty hand in this), but he lost major points for the Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre idea? That plan *did* work out, albeit way, way down the line and not before it caused more than its share of problems. In any case, the credit/blame for the Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre probably should go to Wong Yung, not Gwok Jing. This was not the kind of idea he'd think up. It's got Wong Yung's fingerprints all over it.

Quote Originally Posted by MisterM

3. ZWJ
    Not beeing able to realise what kind of person ZZR really is is my main problem with him, but I can see how a beautiful face could fool someone, so he's kinda forgiven.
    In this, Cheung Mo Gei has a weakness very similar to the one Gwok Jing had. Like Gwok Jing, Cheung Mo Gei was himself a highly virtuous man, so he made the naive and errant assumption that all other people were also virtuous and noble at heart. Such an attitude does them credit as human beings, but it also makes them extremely vulnerable to manipulation because, after all, few human beings are as highly virtuous as a Gwok Jing or a Cheung Mo Gei.

Here's my list:

1. Yeung Gor - Obviously (haha). He's not lucky like other characters. He struggle threw alot of hardships and overcame them with his wits. In the end through his own effort and smarts, he became the legendary Condor Hero, possibly the toughest character of his era. He doesnt follow society's rules but live by his own judgements. And his undying love for Gu Gu is truly admirable. Last, he's the only protagonist with 1 arm, which makes him cool and unique.

2. Xiao Feng - Yup. He's actually my second favorite. XF is one badass dude. He loves to fight and that's what I like about him. He doesn't care much about reputation as long as he knows he isnt betraying his own heart. XF is the perfect brother to have in the Wuxia world. He'll have your back everytime. I wish GJ in LOCH was replace with XF. XF and YG would have kick some serious butt.

That's it to my list. Every other protagonists, I find them pretty annoying. Some of them are too dumb to appreciate what skillls were given to them. Some of them are too blind to see the truth. And others are too weak in skill for my liking.

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Cheng
    I won't dispute the bad parenting point because, yes, Gwok Jing did absolutely screw up the upbringing of Gwok Fu (although his wife had an equally guilty hand in this), but he lost major points for the Heaven Sword and Dragon Sabre idea? That plan *did* work out, albeit way, way down the line and not before it caused more than its share of problems. In any case, the credit/blame for the Heaven Sword and the Dragon Sabre probably should go to Wong Yung, not Gwok Jing. This was not the kind of idea he'd think up. It's got Wong Yung's fingerprints all over it.
    Yes, it was almost definitely HR's plan, but it was a horrible bad one, IMO, and you don't have to be a genius to see that, and I would give GJ a part of the blame as he and HR would have only made a major decision like this together.

Basically the Guo couple seemed to be betting on 2 WCY'S getting those weapons, yet one fell into the hands of a mongolian princess and the other one was taken by someone wishing to use it for revenge only, if ZWJ wasn't main character in a novel there was no way their plan would have worked. (unless HR knew they were in a novel and relied on the author to make sure that everything would eventually work out for the best )

Perhaps it's just me beeing a little bit pessimistic, but that plan always seemed really desperate to me, and it did more bad than good, let's not forget that the 9yin manual was only used for evil by ZZR and the war manual wasn't really required anymore, so the plan can't be said to have worked at all, instead it only made things much more difficult for ZWJ when it came to unifying China's martial artists by creating lot's of internal conflict and helping the wrong people.

In this, Cheung Mo Gei has a weakness very similar to the one Gwok Jing had. Like Gwok Jing, Cheung Mo Gei was himself a highly virtuous man, so he made the naive and errant assumption that all other people were also virtuous and noble at heart. Such an attitude does them credit as human beings, but it also makes them extremely vulnerable to manipulation because, after all, few human beings are as highly virtuous as a Gwok Jing or a Cheung Mo Gei.
    While that's true I just prefer heroes that are at least able to realise who their friends and who their enemies are on their own, and you can't say that ZZR beeing extremely hot didn't influence the way he treated her.

That's grossly unfair. Gwok Jing has *much* more going for him than his defense of Seung Yeung Fortress. He had proven himself a man of valor and compassion long before he ever set foot in Seung Yeung. To say he didn't is to practically say that LOCH didn't happen.
    Ken, I don't think it's unfair at all. Everyone on this list have the capacity to place others ahead of him(her)self with the exception of possibly WSB, and even WSB has shown the willingness to risk his own neck to save a friend. I am not saying GJ did nothing of valor besides SY, my point is simply that the act of national defense is the one action that people point to that elevates him to the top in people's eyes. If you took away his defense of SY, he is not that remarkable a man. However, one CANNOT take away anything from a person's history or circumstances because that is who they are, that is why I said so be it.

When LOCH and ROCH are examined, GJ is not without faults. Like I said, such ranking lists are subjective, one quality may be viewed as a negative by Person A but be viewed as a positive by Person B, it all depends on how you value or disvalue any given actions. For example, when first confronted by the fact that YG was a couple with his teacher, GJ's first impulse was to kill YG to spare him of having a bad reputation like YH. To me, that is an idiotic and hypocritical reaction coming from a guy who ignored an existing engagement (to Wa Jung) and disobeyed his masters and eloped with a "monster's" daughter when he was of the same age as YG. However, to another person, such an act may be indicative of GJ's unwaverable principles of right and wrong (it really isn't, but you could argue that it is)
    This account is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    Ken, I don't think it's unfair at all. Everyone on this list have the capacity to place others ahead of him(her)self with the exception of possibly WSB, and even WSB has shown the willingness to risk his own neck to save a friend. I am not saying GJ did nothing of valor besides SY, my point is simply that the act of national defense is the one action that people point to that elevates him to the top in people's eyes. If you took away his defense of SY, he is not that remarkable a man. However, one CANNOT take away anything from a person's history or circumstances because that is who they are, that is why I said so be it.

When LOCH and ROCH are examined, GJ is not without faults. Like I said, such ranking lists are subjective, one quality may be viewed as a negative by Person A but be viewed as a positive by Person B, it all depends on how you value or disvalue any given actions. For example, when first confronted by the fact that YG was a couple with his teacher, GJ's first impulse was to kill YG to spare him of having a bad reputation like YH. To me, that is an idiotic and hypocritical reaction coming from a guy who ignored an existing engagement (to Wa Jung) and disobeyed his masters and eloped with a "monster's" daughter when he was of the same age as YG. However, to another person, such an act may be indicative of GJ's unwaverable principles of right and wrong (it really isn't, but you could argue that it is)

Quote Originally Posted by ROCH translations, Noodles
    Huang Yao Shi said, “She marries her ideal man and forgets about the suffering and bitterness of others? My precious daughter only listens to her husband, haha, ‘obey the husband when married’, that really is something!” He laughed loudly after he said this and turned around and left the room, in a flash his laughter could be heard tens of feet away, he really moved like a divine dragon without trace.
    True for Huang Rong and Guo Jing.
    "I only scold dogs, not people."

Quote Originally Posted by Yeung Gor
    Here's my list:

1. Yeung Gor - Obviously (haha). He's not lucky like other characters. He struggle threw alot of hardships and overcame them with his wits. In the end through his own effort and smarts, he became the legendary Condor Hero, possibly the toughest character of his era. He doesnt follow society's rules but live by his own judgements. And his undying love for Gu Gu is truly admirable. Last, he's the only protagonist with 1 arm, which makes him cool and unique.

2. Xiao Feng - Yup. He's actually my second favorite. XF is one badass dude. He loves to fight and that's what I like about him. He doesn't care much about reputation as long as he knows he isnt betraying his own heart. XF is the perfect brother to have in the Wuxia world. He'll have your back everytime. I wish GJ in LOCH was replace with XF. XF and YG would have kick some serious butt.

That's it to my list. Every other protagonists, I find them pretty annoying. Some of them are too dumb to appreciate what skillls were given to them. Some of them are too blind to see the truth. And others are too weak in skill for my liking.
    actually yangguo is pretty lucky. every hero has his fair share of suffering

1. god son of ouyang feng, learns hama gong
    2. learns da gou bang fa
    3. has access to icy bed
    4. learns gumu sect skills, esp qinggong, it rocks
    5. blessed with intellengence
    6.gets the prettiest gal
    7. all other girls fall for him
    8. finds dugu's cave
    9. learns xuan tie jian fa
    10. gets mega boost from snake bladders
    11. learns tanzi shen tong, luoying shenjian zhang and other tao hua dao skills
    12. learns part of 9 yin

Man is a being of free will. Man can choose to think, drift, or evade -- but choose he must. His thoughts determine: his character, his values, his emotions, and his actions, and so his thoughts determine his destiny.

Yang Guo had all that lucks and bad lucks due to his characteristic. So do others.

Quote Originally Posted by qiaofeng
    actually yangguo is pretty lucky. every hero has his fair share of suffering

1. god son of ouyang feng, learns hama gong
    2. learns da gou bang fa
    3. has access to icy bed
    4. learns gumu sect skills, esp qinggong, it rocks
    5. blessed with intellengence
    6.gets the prettiest gal
    7. all other girls fall for him
    8. finds dugu's cave
    9. learns xuan tie jian fa
    10. gets mega boost from snake bladders
    11. learns tanzi shen tong, luoying shenjian zhang and other tao hua dao skills
    12. learns part of 9 yin
    I think given a choice when younger, Yang Guo takes his mommy and daddy.
    "I only scold dogs, not people."

In this, Cheung Mo Gei has a weakness very similar to the one Gwok Jing had. Like Gwok Jing, Cheung Mo Gei was himself a highly virtuous man, so he made the naive and errant assumption that all other people were also virtuous and noble at heart.
    It is not true that they assume all other people were also virtuous and noble at heart. I wonder why you would come to this conclusion.

In the case of GJ, just check out how negatively he labels his enemies and how clearly he feels he is in the right.

In the case of JMG, I think you could make a better case for him than GJ about your point. But, others have mentioned that his reluctance to commit to one woman is indicative of his mistrust of women due to past experiences, and I agree with that. If he mistrusts any one person, including his women, then your statement is disproven.

The one protagonist that I can think of who does assume good in people is Dog Bastard. Despite mal-treatment and abuse by his mom (most likely, kidnapper in reality), his seclusion from the outside world still gave him an innocent and likeable personality. Come to think of it, Dog Bastard is really a likeable guy, I should probably move him up higher in my list. His goodness is innate, like YG but of a gentler nature, and not from being lectured and taught like some of the others.

The main reason why I don't like JMG's (ZWJ's) supposed goodness is that this was not Mr. Marshmellow as a child. Somehow, inexplicably, after practicing 9 Yang, his entire personality changed into Mr. Marshmellow. If JY could have given a more tangible reason why he changed, I would like him better. After Brilliance Peak, I would have stopped reading HSDS if not for my "must finish what I start" personality because JMG was hard to tolerate.
    Last edited by flyingfox2002; 11-18-04 at 02:40 PM.
    This account is retired.

I do find myself GJ is a wee bit stuburn. In the todays woman's mind (at least my mind), he is one of the worst guys you would date. Some guys would say "He is the true jewel hidden under the rock" but what I see him is "Stubburn minded black and white viewer"

Zhang Wu Ji, on the other hand, is not as stubburn as Guo Jing. He is rather wishy washy, and couldn't make up his mind in half of the time.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

1) Xiao Feng
    2) Guo Jing

That's pretty much it for me. I hardly know anything about the novels outside of DGSD and Condor Trilogy so can't really add those protagonists in.
    Last edited by chibidaisuke; 11-20-10 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yon View Post
    I do find myself GJ is a wee bit stuburn. In the todays woman's mind (at least my mind), he is one of the worst guys you would date. Some guys would say "He is the true jewel hidden under the rock" but what I see him is "Stubburn minded black and white viewer"

Zhang Wu Ji, on the other hand, is not as stubburn as Guo Jing. He is rather wishy washy, and couldn't make up his mind in half of the time.
    GJ is not supposed to be a 'cool anti-hero' type that women would fawn over. Always hated anti-hero characters.
    Last edited by chibidaisuke; 11-15-10 at 08:56 AM.

1 Xiao Feng
    2 Guo Jing
    3 Xu Zhu
    4 Zhang Wuji
    5 Hu Fei
    6 Linghu Chong
    7 Di Yun
    8 Li Wenxiu
    9 Shi Potian
    10 A'Qing
    11 Duan Yu
    12 Wei Xiaobao