Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ranking of JY Protagonists

Default Ranking of JY Protagonists

A quick list before I leave work. I will come back and edit in more info. This is my ranking of the various main leads in the JY novels, excluding Yue Nu Jian as I don't know who to use as the main character in that one. The list is subjective. I counted each of the three sworn bros as main characters, and Wu Yat Doe as the lead in Flying Fox of Snow Mountain instead of Wufei. Everyone post yours too if you like, and let's compare the difference in taste.

1-YG: The more I thought about ROCH (actually I hardly ever think about it now, but back when I read ROCH I did), the more I liked YG. I agree with most of his actions and can totally relate to and understand him.

2-LWC/LHC: I don't relate as much to him as YG, but I still see lots of myself in the character. So yeah, I am really biased.

3-XF: I really like characters who aren't afraid to kick a$$ when they have to. He had a couple of classic and major characters flaw in that he was too proud of himself and he could not control his anger, but overall he is the Hero among heroes.

4-WXB: If he was really a scumbag, no one would like him, but he's a good guy deep down. Yeah he's a brownnoser and a liar and a rapist, but somehow he's one of those dudes that can steal your wife and you'll still remain friends with him.

5-Wu Yat Doe/Hu Yi Dao: Smart, Brave, Just. What else do ya want. It's a pity he had to die at the hands of a rat. And the dope who inadvertently dealt the death cut (Miao Ren Feng) isn't worthy of him either. I wish there was more story about him. He was already dead in FFofSM but he was cooler than his son so I'll give him credit for being a lead character.

6-Wufei/Hufei: Better spell out the name for him as people may not know who he is. He's one of the few JY characters we actually see being a xia and helping the weak and beating the rich. He couldn't get pass the mei ren guan though, as he got his business messed up by that annoying Yuan Ziyi. Cheng Lingsu died for him, another strike against him, but due to the lack of ethusiasm for the rest of the characters, WF gets #5 by default.

7-GJ: I don't like GJ much, but come to think of it, not a lot of the JY main characters are that likeable. Well, whenever anyone criticizes GJ, his defenders can always throw the "he defended xiangyang" trump card in the critic's face. That's his get-out-of-jail-free card, so be it.

8-Dog Bastard: This is the dude in Ode to Gallantry. His real name is PROBABLY Shi Zhong Jian, but JY never definitively said he was the "dead" son of the Shi's, so I can only go by the name his abusive mom gave him. The kid has a good heart, and he's not annoyingly sissy like ZWJ or DY so I'll rank him 8th.

9-DY: He'd probably get arrested today for stalking, but he's harmless and he's a good guy. I only wish he didn't follow WYY around like a dog.

10-Di Yun: Well, he's not really all that likeable or remarkable, but he's the guy who suffered the most of anyone among JY lead characters, so I'll put him here. There isn't much to dislike about him anyway.

11-Xu Zhu: He's dumb and really po po ma ma, but he's got a good heart. It probably speaks to the lack of choices that he ranks this high.

12-ZWJ: Marshmellow Man. He peaked real early, at Brilliance Peak. After that it was all downhill. Embarrassing.

13-Li Wen Xiu: I am blase about the character. She's nice but she suffers from that curious one-manitis that so many of the JY females suffer. So Su Pu loves someone else, boohoo. Find someone else dummy.

14-Yuan Gwan Nan: From Yin Yang Saber. I am pretty blase about him too. Well, at least he has a good ending. If you don't anything to say...

15-Yuan Cheng Zhi: He had this annoying habit of trying to make people behave by letting them know that there are mountains beyond mountains. Not surprisingly, his victims just got more pissed LOL. He's ok, but he's like those credit card application spam you get in the mail, you just toss it in the trash.

16-Chen Jia Luo: Last and certainly least. I enjoyed rooting for Chienlong against this moron. He sucks. No JY character has been given so much and yet failed so miserably. AND he survived! Grrrrrr.
    This account is retired.

So of all Jin Yong main characters, you regard Yang Guo the highest?
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by flyingfox2002
    7-GJ: I don't like GJ much, but come to think of it, not a lot of the JY main characters are that likeable. Well, whenever anyone criticizes GJ, his defenders can always throw the "he defended xiangyang" trump card in the critic's face. That's his get-out-of-jail-free card, so be it.
    SO WHEN ANYONE CRTICIZES YANG GUO
    WHAT WILL HIS DEFENDER SAY???
    maybe they will said this-
    HE 'S STRONG
    AND HE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT KNOW DUGU QIUBAI SWORD STYLE
    I WONDER WHY HE DON'T WANT TO USE HIS STRENGTH TO HELP DEFEND XIANG YANG
    BUT JUST ONLY BOTHER HIS GUGU N GUGU
    Last edited by putrihuanzhu; 11-12-04 at 01:22 PM.
    zhao weizhou xun 4 eva

If you pay attention to ROCH, the one who assassinated the Mongol Emperor to beat back the invasion was YG... He and XLN reunited after 16 years of separation, but they didn't waste any time catching up with each other and rushed to save the day at XY.

While GJ was defending XY, YG as the Condor Hero also helped countless amount of people, hence the title of "da xia" given to him by the people, which he trimmed to "xia" out of humility.

So no, it was not just all about gu gu.

Anyone who thinks that just has not paid any attention to the story.
    This account is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by putrihuanzhu
    SO WHEN ANYONE CRTICIZES YANG GUO
    WHAT WILL HIS DEFENDER SAY???
    maybe they will said this-
    HE 'S STRONG
    AND HE IS THE ONLY ONE THAT KNOW DUGU QIUBAI SWORD STYLE
    I WONDER WHY HE DON'T WANT TO USE HIS STRENGTH TO HELP DEFEND XIANG YANG
    BUT JUST ONLY BOTHER HIS GUGU N GUGU
    haha! Another GJ vs YG thread to heat up the forum? Putrihuanzu, if you want to know what YG supporters have to say, you should read the many posts over the last 2 weeks in the YG threads. GJ supporters have posted their replies there too.

There's also no need to put everything in CAPS. It just makes it hard to read, not more convincing.

Talking

sorry
    a mistake happen there
    hehehe

i'm left spcnet for a long time maybe a month
    okay i will follow ur advice
    zhao weizhou xun 4 eva

1-YG: The more I thought about ROCH (actually I hardly ever think about it now, but back when I read ROCH I did), the more I liked YG. I agree with most of his actions and can totally relate to and understand him.
    YG's at the top of my list as well. I just find his personality entertaining, and his decisions easy to identify with.

LHC is OK but the whole xiao shi mei thing fixation and his loyalty to YBQ tends to overshadow his persona. At least with YG the fixation was mutual.

GJ... I just don't find him particularly intresting. LOCH would've been more entertaining with HR as the main character.

DY was interesting at the beginning of DGSD but with WYY in the picture he just looses his appeal.

HF... I've only read XueShanFeiHu and not FeiHuWaiZhuan. HF is a hero but evidently the phrase "Wait! I didn't do anything to your daughter! You can ask her yourself." is beyond him.

CJL... I hate this character. He seemed to have so much going for him just to let it go to ruin.
    HK47: Now do you understand the travails of my existence master? Surely it does not compare to your existence but still...
    You: I survive somehow
    HK47: As do I. It is our lot in life I suppose master. Shall we find something to kill to cheer ourselves up?

-KotOR

I like LHC. That is about it. All the other main charactors are BLAH! And BORING! Speaking to "I live for one woman" is just soo... Guys will NEVER EVER love one woman.
    Please email me with questions. Do not use PM here.

Quote Originally Posted by Yon
    Guys will NEVER EVER love one woman.
    of course, they never loved them at all
    joking

Talking

If you pay attention to ROCH, the one who assassinated the Mongol Emperor to beat back the invasion was YG... He and XLN reunited after 16 years of separation, but they didn't waste any time catching up with each other and rushed to save the day at XY.

While GJ was defending XY, YG as the Condor Hero also helped countless amount of people, hence the title of "da xia" given to him by the people, which he trimmed to "xia" out of humility.

So no, it was not just all about gu gu.

Anyone who thinks that just has not paid any attention to the story.
    okay
    maybe its true that i just not paid attention to the story
    i can't stand that gu gu character
    what is so impressed about help countless amount of people
    we knew if we have capability to help people who need we have to help them

i just wonder where he is when xiang yang fall
    before this i have ask people why guo jing and huang rong died
    why???
    they are too old when defending xiang yang
    they need help from a person who was superb and strong
    if monggol was too strong
    wellllll yang guo maybe died but he will died as a honourable hero
    zhao weizhou xun 4 eva

Alright Mr. Fox, you have my list, I have my list

I haven't read all JY novels though, so I will only rank Protagonists that I know.

IMHO, Here's my very subjective ranking :

1. Wei Xiao Bao

Amazing character, so dynamic and vibrant, flavorful and distinct, a true reflection of our real life, who cares if you don't know martial arts as long as you are street smart like him, with a bit of luck, you can turn anything into gold and to your own favor.

2. Ling HuChong

This guy is just like me in real life, who likes to befriend anyone in sights, whatever your background is, the only downfall (weakness) I see in him is his obsession over YLS and his self-refusal to accept the truth about YBQ

3. Xiao Feng

The best fighter. Period. He could become a bit arrogant when you push the wrong button, especially when he's high on alcohol though. But who could argue, when the guy never loses a single fight in his life.

4. Guo Jing

A true 'Ying Xiong'. Sacrificed his life for the city of Xiang Yiang, although in vain at the end, but he stood for what he believes. It's idealism at its extreme form. He's boring but signify a great example.

5. Di Yun

Perhaps, the most unlucky guy. I almost dropped the damn novel since it's so depressing reading it. But at the end, it's all pay off. No weakness really, but not super impressive either.

6. Xu Zhu

One of the luckiest of them all, (perhaps only equaled or surpassed by Duan Yu). A kind-hearted, naïve monk from Shaolin, who got very very very lucky with martial arts, woman, and power. What's not to like about him ?

7. Shi PoTian

The guy belongs in this spot. Doesn't convince me to be too charismatic but yet quite talented, perhaps comparable to only Xu Zhu and Sweeper Monk.

8. Duan Yu

Another lucky guy, very naïve, nothing to do really other than chasing some deity-like beauty by the name of Wang Yu Yan. But he's very talented himself, learn BMSG and LBWB by himself, with some luck off course.

9. Zhang WuJi

Always confused, always in doubt, doesn't know what he wants. But nevertheless I praised his ability to stay strong after his parents' death and learnt 9-Yang himself.

10. Hu Fei

Great guy until some women came into the scene.

11. Yuan Cheng Zhi

Nothing interesting, boring. I was struggling when reading the novel.

12. Chen JiaLuo

Good guy, too bad all his ideas and efforts don't fall though at the time, but nonetheless, he prioritize the lives of many as supposed to his own.

13. Yang Guo

The worst of them all. Extremely emotional, heavy mood swings, more feminine than DFBB since the day he was born, and can't use his intellegence when faced with difficult emotional situation. Worst of all, he lives for a woman, the worst kind of men.
    Last edited by Temujin; 11-12-04 at 04:38 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by putrihuanzhu
    what is so impressed about help countless amount of people
    we knew if we have capability to help people who need we have to help them
    I don't really understand your sentence because it's written with weird grammar, but if you're saying what is impressed about helping people when he has the ability to help them, then that is one strange statement to make. Every single hero in the JY Universe has superhuman ability. By your criteria, we should cross everyone off the heroes list then, and GJ defending XY is any big deal either, since he has Yue Fei's war manual, and he has supreme kung fu, and he has a brilliant wife to help him strategize, and he has the support of millions.

i just wonder where he is when xiang yang fall
    before this i have ask people why guo jing and huang rong died
    why???
    they are too old when defending xiang yang
    they need help from a person who was superb and strong
    if monggol was too strong
    wellllll yang guo maybe died but he will died as a honourable hero
    Nobody knows where he went. He and XLN could have died at XY too. Who knows. JY had no account of it.

YG has no obligation to die defending XY. He has already done more than enough. If GJ chose to die with the city instead of escaping and regrouping for resistance later on, that's his problem.

13. Yang Guo

The worst of them all. Extremely emotional, heavy mood swings, more feminine than DFBB since the day he was born, and can't use his intellegence when faced with difficult emotional situation. Worst of all, he lives for a woman, the worst kind of men.
    You must've read the bizzaro version of ROCH. You really should provide some examples directly from the book to support your claims. That he lives for a woman is a legitimate criticism, extremely emotional has some merits, but the other things are just wrong.

And nearly all the other characters have the same problem...

Ranking him this low is just done in spite and destroys the credibility of your list. n:
    Last edited by flyingfox2002; 11-12-04 at 04:05 PM.
    This account is retired.

Quote Originally Posted by TaiHan
    of course, they never loved them at all
    joking

AHAHAHA... Probably so. In my observation, the only one who understood the TRUE LOVE was Chen Ying in among all JY charactors.

Temu, You are like LHC? I heard some difference stories from others about you...

You must've read the bizzaro version of ROCH. You really should provide some examples directly from the book to support your claims. That he lives for a woman is a legitimate criticism, extremely emotional has some merits, but the other things are just wrong.

And nearly all the other characters have the same problem...

Ranking him this low is just done in spite and destroys the credibility of your list. n:
    Mr. Foxy... I read the first edition of ROCH several times, read the second edition translated here, read and own the comics both HK version and Singapore version, watched the adaptation 83 version many times, 95 version, Richie Ren's crappy version, Leslie Cheung's movie version, and watched Brave Archer II and III.

Never liked him once, i simply read/watched ROCH to find out what happens to Guo Jing/Huang Rong.

I really don't feel like writing another 40 pages essay about your idol, Mr. One-Armed Hero Yang Guo Bottom line is I don't like Yang Guo

But if you really want to know why, then you can read the heated discussions I had with Lav a few months ago...

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=8711

Let me warn you that they're long long arguments and very subjective.

Quote Originally Posted by Yon
    Temu, You are like LHC? I heard some difference stories from others about you...
    Then you must have heard it wrong aka bad rumors.

Now, you've just heard it coming from me, myself.

Trust no one, other than the original source

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    Mr. Foxy... I read the first edition of ROCH several times, read the second edition translated here, read and own the comics both HK version and Singapore version, watched the adaptation 83 version many times, 95 version, Richie Ren's crappy version, Leslie Cheung's movie version, and watched Brave Archer II and III.

Never liked him once, i simply read/watched ROCH to find out what happens to Guo Jing/Huang Rong.

I really don't feel like writing another 40 pages essay about your idol, Mr. One-Armed Hero Yang Guo Bottom line is I don't like Yang Guo

But if you really want to know why, then you can read the heated discussions I had with Lav a few months ago...

http://www.spcnet.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=8711

Let me warn you that they're long long arguments and very subjective.
    That thread looks too long, I don't even know where your argument with Lav is. I only see somehow Keira Nightly or whoever got mentioned. Point me to the page.

I never read the 1st edition. If there's something in there that you can bring out to go against YG, go ahead.

YG is not my idol, LOL. Maybe you worship people all the time, I worship no one.
    This account is retired.

That's grossly unfair. Gwok Jing has *much* more going for him than his defense of Seung Yeung Fortress. He had proven himself a man of valor and compassion long before he ever set foot in Seung Yeung. To say he didn't is to practically say that LOCH didn't happen.

Guo Jing puts other people above himself. This is the most noble act.
    忽见柳荫下两个小孩子在哀哀痛哭,瞧模样正是武敦儒、武修文兄弟。郭芙大声叫道:「喂,你们在干甚麽?」武 修文回头见是郭芙,哭道:「我们在哭,你不见麽?」

Quote Originally Posted by PJ
    Guo Jing puts other people above himself. This is the most noble act.
    So as Zhang San Feng??

My humble list... sorry, too lazy to list out the reasons as well
    1. GJ
    2. XF
    3. ZWJ
    4. SPT
    5. DY
    6. XZ
    7. YG
    8. YCZ
    9. HF
    10. CJL
    11. LHC