Thread: Question about Disney/Miramax

Default Question about Disney/Miramax

Why is it that Disney/Miramax purchase the rights to some HK films such as Fist of Legend and Bodyguard From beijing when Taiseng and World Video already owns the rights and distributes them?

Maybe they release it via a different medium like DVD? Are the other two American-based companies or not?
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Maybe they release it via a different medium like DVD? Are the other two American-based companies or not?
    Taiseng and World Video are two American-based companies owned by Chinese people. Taiseng releases DVDs, VCDs, and VHS while World Video releases DVDs. Here's a link for Taiseng: www.taiseng.com
    Last edited by Dagger Lee; 11-14-04 at 08:17 PM.

Probably bought the rights from them so that they themselves (Miramax) will be the ones distributing the stuff in the future?
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Eliar Swiftfire
    Probably bought the rights from them so that they themselves (Miramax) will be the ones distributing the stuff in the future?
    So Miramax will be distributing TVB series in the future too(Taiseng owns the rights for TVB series in America too)?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    So Miramax will be distributing TVB series in the future too(Taiseng owns the rights for TVB series in America too)?
    hell no! they wouldn't touch TVB's productions. Miramax only deals with movies. they don't get licenses from Tai Seng. they get the rights from the actual movie studios or the studio house that owns the original prints. you should go to the message forum in www.cityonfire.com and ask this dude named NINGEN. he's more clear on how Miramax works.

Quote Originally Posted by tinlunlau
    hell no! they wouldn't touch TVB's productions. Miramax only deals with movies. they don't get licenses from Tai Seng. they get the rights from the actual movie studios or the studio house that owns the original prints. you should go to the message forum in www.cityonfire.com and ask this dude named NINGEN. he's more clear on how Miramax works.
    Umm where exactly is the forum at that site?

Quote Originally Posted by Dagger Lee
    Umm where exactly is the forum at that site?
    lol i get what you mean. i was like wo! when i went to the website. took me a few seconds longer than it should. it's on the left hand side in the blue color box, in cursive. the link says "forum". or actually just go here:

http://p199.ezboard.com/bmightypekingmansbar

don't know why i wrote all that.
    ---------
    Shellie

Quote Originally Posted by shellie
    lol i get what you mean. i was like wo! when i went to the website. took me a few seconds longer than it should. it's on the left hand side in the blue color box, in cursive. the link says "forum". or actually just go here:

http://p199.ezboard.com/bmightypekingmansbar

don't know why i wrote all that.
    Thanks. I was lost at that site.