Thread: A Boring Story (my first short film!)

Default A Boring Story (my first short film!)

Actually, I did post this at the 'A film I made' thread, but just in case it was missed, I'm starting a new thread instead. I figure we could just use the other thread for aspiring filmmakers to discuss about making their own films or something whilst this thread is for my particular short. Haah.

A Boring Story

A 5-minute short film made with practically zero budget. Filmed in a certain university. Directed by a Malaysian and written by his New Yorker pal. Download it here, it's only around 9mb. Quicktime format.

http://www.hooliness.com/swifty/downloads.htm#3

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.hooliness.com/swifty/boring.jpg')

$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.hooliness.com/swifty/boring1.jpg')$this->handle_bbcode_img_match('http://www.hooliness.com/swifty/boring2.jpg')
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Cool short. I was sort of confused as to what the film was about, until the ending, which totally sucker punched me (i.e. really unexpected), which was awesome (albeit, a little creepy). Good direction on your part in making the viewer enter a senseless lull before springing the finale. Kudos to the screenwriter as well, the writing was excellent.

All in all, good job

I'm not a robot like you. I don't like having disks crammed into me... unless they're Oreos, and then only in the mouth - Fry

Gee, thanks man. Really appreciated it.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

It could have been better. The beginning dragged too long. The 4 minutes felt like 14 minutes. The narrator's voice really put me to sleep. The end was pretty had a pretty good twist but it would have been better if strippers were working it on the side.

Well, unbelievably, the narrator was drunk, and we were doing it at 3am, so yeah, it was hard. But then, we did the whole thing (from the shooting to the editing to the screenwriting to the sound editing, yes in this order) within 12 hours, so... I guess it's a miracle we pulled it off. Mwaaaahaaa.

And nope, no chance with strippers, if we had anyone to help us out, I wouldn't have to end up acting, along with my screenwriter. *sob*
    Last edited by Eliar Swiftfire; 11-15-04 at 11:55 AM.
    Swifty, Writing

Not bad for a first short film thrown together in 12 hours by 2 people. The voice of the narrator was dull, yet somewhat freaky at the same time. He also had a weird way of pronouncing "carotid".
    (\__/)
    (='.'=)
    (")_(")

Really? Hmmm... might be his New Yorker accent?
    Swifty, Writing

I was expecting a happy ending.

I know. I wanted an ending where I can end up with some hot chick or something too. Unfortunately, no hot chicks wanted to act in my movie.
    Swifty, Writing

lol, not even any female acting students at uni? Anyway, i forgot to say i thought it was good. The narrator was hard to hear sometimes, but his voice had a nice effect anyway. Keep it up!

Thanks.

And no, we didn't really know anyone back then, and the fact that the deadline was only a day away and we didn't have a script yet didn't help much either.
    Swifty, Writing