7) Silmido
    8) A Tale of Two Sisters
    9) Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring
    10) Il Mare

my favourite 3

(1) Ii Mare

(2) Windstruck

(3) My Sassy Girl.

its a coincidence that they all starred the same actress but I really enjoyed these korean movies best.

I dont think I can list out ten, I have only watched that many korean shows and only like that few of them.
    In no particular order, the korean movies that I enjoyed alot are...

Guns and Talk
    My Sassy Girl
    Il Mare
    2009: Lost memories

my list in no particular order

1) My Sassy Girl
    2) Ditto
    3) Failan
    4) Too Beautiful to Lie
    5) My Tutor Friend
    6) JSA
    7) The Classic
    8) Silmido
    9) Taegukgi
    10) Arahan

I haven't watched Arahan, but others who suggested that Fighter in the Wind is a better movie, and it's not as ground breaking at Volcana High

Stuck in a place between Heaven and Hell!

My top 5 favourites:

1. Friends (the one with JDG)

2. My Tutor Friend.

3. Guns & Talk

4. My Sassy Girlfriend.

5. My Boss, My hero.
    Cheers!!!!!!

Some of my favorites: (in no particular order)

1. The Classic
    2. Taegukgi
    3. Ditto
    4. My Sassy Girl
    5. My Tutor Friend
    6. Joint Security Area
    7. Musa
    8. Lovers' Concerto
    9. Untold Scandal
    10. Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring

atlantean0208
    Unregistered

How come you guys missing out on the excellent Chan-Wook Park revenge trilogy

First - Sympathy With Mr. Vengeance
    Second - Oldboy (IMDB top #142/250)
    Third - Sympathy for Lady Vengeance (In Development)

its understandable after JSA. Mr. Park already given the greenlight to do any film he wants and follow that with the gory Sympathy and because it is againt those typical korean melodrama such as Il Mare, Ditto or Sassy Girl most his later movies are ignored in SK but embrace and won much critical praise in the west
    Last edited by atlantean0208; 11-22-04 at 07:27 AM.

Hm. Hard.

But Shiri and My Sassy Gal would be my all-time favourites, I believe. Since then, the latter had became some sort of a benchmark for all other Korean romantic comedies that came out later (which I didn't enjoy much).

Shiri got me into Korean films, so it'll always be special to me.

Other than that, I can't think of others that reach this. Although there are some other Korean films that I enjoyed a lot. Like Kick To The Moon, Musa, Brother etc.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

sex is zero is best

I also like jsa and brotherhood.

Sex Is Zero is... well, gross.
    Swifty, Writing
    Film and book reviews, short films, videos from a Malaysian filmmaker based in Tokyo

Quote Originally Posted by Temujin
    In your humble opinion, what are the TOP 10 KOREAN MOVIES ever

My list :

1) JSA (Joint Security Area)
    2) Musa
    3) TaeGukGi
    4) My Sassy Girl
    5) 2009: Lost Memories
    6) The Classic
    7) Silmido
    8) A Tale of Two Sisters
    9) Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter ... and Spring
    10) Il Mare
    Due to my recent exposure to more great quality Korean movies, I had to make some changes to this list. Here is my new list :

1) JSA (Joint Security Area)
    2) Musa
    3) TaeGukGi
    4) My Sassy Girl
    5) Memories of Murder
    6) The Classic
    7) Silmido
    8) A Tale of Two Sisters
    9) Arahan
    10) Il Mare

not in particular order
    1 old boy
    2 jsa
    3 musa
    4 la belle
    5 taguekgi
    6 my sassy girl
    7 the way home
    8 symphaty of mr vengeance
    9 the isle
    10 chunyang

Oh yeah, I just saw Old Boy two weeks ago. It's great!

The main actor (who also played the baddie in Shiri) is a fab actor.
    Swifty, Writing

my top 3

1. My Sassy Girl
    2. The Classic
    3. Windstruck

Taegukgi
    Silmido
    Friend
    Joint Security Area
    Shiri
    Memories of Murder
    My Sassy Girl
    My Tutor Friend
    Kick the Moon
    The Way Home

Talking

1. Married to the Mafia
    2. Joint Security Area
    3. My Sassy Girl
    4. IL Mare
    5. 100 Days with Mr Arrogant
    6. Guns n Talk
    7. My Tutor Friend

well...that's the lot that I enjoyed watching.
    MooMoo Cows Can Fly.

Is Windstruck really good??? I never watched it 'cause my mum said it's a tragedy.....But I like JANG Hyuck in the Successful Story of a Bright Girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Ainidewo
    Is Windstruck really good??? I never watched it 'cause my mum said it's a tragedy.....But I like JANG Hyuck in the Successful Story of a Bright Girl.
    windstruck is really gud in my opinion, u have to c it!! great soundtrack for it as well got the OST,

well im not korean so i dont think i can name 10 movies.

1. my sassy girl
    2. windstruck
    3. my tutor friend
    4. my wife is a gangster

^ there the only ones i ve seen so far

ive got these but havent seen:
    -the classic
    -volcano high

How about Bichunmoo?? Not... Here's my review of that film...

------------------------

BICHUNMOO (2000)

Cast:

Hyeon-jun Shin as Yu Jinha
    Hee-seon Kim as Sullie
    Jin-yeong Jeong as Namgung

Review

The film opens with a battle scene involving the assassination of an army by a group of assassins dressed in black. The leader of the group is a cold blooded assassin in a red robe who wields a samurai sword. Following the skirmish, he stands on a rooftop and observes a mother and child in the courtyard below. There he reminisces about his own past.

We discover that this cold blooded assassin was a young orphan boy called Jinha (played by Hyeon-jun Shin) who lives alone in the mountains with his uncle to study the secret Bichun sword arts. One day he saves, Suillie (played by Hee-seon Kim), the daughter of a concubine of a Mongol General. They fall in love from that very first moment, and play with each other every single day up until they are adults. Sullie’s mother falls ill and eventually dies. She is forced to leave for the capital with her father. Jinha attempts to stop her from leaving and is nearly killed by Suillie’s brother. But she picks up a sword and demands her father to release Jinha stating that she would commit suicide. Her father agrees, and they leave the next day. Jinha and Sullie are separated from that day onwards.

Jinha wants to leave for the capital to be with Sullie, but his uncle instructs him to master the Bichun sword arts first. He agrees. Later his uncle is murdered by a bunch of bandits who seek possession of the Bichun sword art manuals. It is only then that Jinha learns that he is the only son of a former Lord named Yu who had been wiped out by a group of evil bandits who sought to steal the secret of the Bichun sword arts. Eager for revenge and also to find Sullie, Jinha decides to leave for the capital.

Along his journey Jinha meets and befriends a noble man named Namgung (played Jin-yeong Jeong) who had assisted him against a group of bandits. Before parting ways, Namgung gives Jinha an insignia and requests that he visit his home upon arriving at the capital so that they can catch up on good times. Jinha agrees. Namgung goes on to tell Jinha about his passionate love for a young lady. Jinha asks whether Namgung’s love has be requited. Namgung replies but saying no, but is certain that he would be able to make the young lady love her one day. With that they depart and go their own ways.

Upon arriving at the capital Jinha discovers that his only love, Sullie, had been betrothed to his friend Namgung. This makes him want to find Sullie even more. He heads towards a pavilion where Sullie had promised to wait for him on the first day of every full moon till night. But Sullie does not come. He waits for her never the less.

The evil Mongol General (Sullie’s father) and Lord Namgung (Namgung’s father) learn that Jinha is none other than Lord Yu’s son. The evil Mongol General was the one who had eliminated Lord Yu and thus sought to murder Jinha. Sullie’s brother knew where Jinha would be and so sets out to murder him alone. But this time Jinha was well prepared and is the winner of the duel. He decides to spare his opponent however upon the request of Sullie. Before leaving Sullie’s brother decides to instruct Jinha to take good care of Sullie. Jinha and Sullie are together once more and take refuge at an old abandoned cave. They eventually make out after a long deliberation. It was clear that they love and were meant to be with each other.

When Namgung finds out that Sullie had decided to eloped with Jinha he pursues after them. Namgung then challenges Jinha to a fight. He hated nothing more upon discovering that Sullie did not love him and had always loved Jinha. Being a gentleman, Namgung agrees to allow Jinha to live if he could defeats him in the battle. Namgung was so desperate to marry Sullie that he would later go back on his own promise. Namgung was losing when he decided to jump to the side. Allowing the many archers to fire a series of continuous arrows at Jinha who was not prepared for the attack. He had already sheathed his sword and was smiling thinking that he had won. He did note therefore, anticipate the ambush and was thus showered with arrows. He glances across at his friend Namgung with a touch of disbelief before finally falling over the edge of the cliff. He is assumed to have died from that day forth.

Upon finding out that Jinha had died, Sullie agrees to marry Namgung. It was done out of spite and revenge more than anything else. For she would never love him. Many years had passed by in the blink of an eye. Through all those years Sullie would still enquire for news about Jinha whenever her father visited. But her father assures her that Jinha had died at the cliff.

When Sullie’s child has grown up, a man named ‘Jahalang’ is causing havoc across China, killing all of the Mongol and corrupt Han officials with allegiances to the Mongols. Sullie’s father and the evil Lord Namgung knew they would be targeted sooner or later. But there wasn’t anything that any of them could do but wait for death. Prior to departing, Sullie’s father says goodbye to her daughter for the last time. Knowing that they would never meet again. Along his journey, Sullie’s father is attacked and murdered by Jahalang. It is only then we discover that Jahalang is none other than Jinha. He had murdered Sullie’s father to avenged the death of his parents. But he does not stop there however.

Later that night Namgung is ordered to take his troops to wipe out Jinha and leaves Sullie alone at his estate. He leaves to camp with his troops at the river. But who could have guessed that Jinha and his band of assassins were now actually in the capital. That night Jinha attacks the Namgung estate and kills all in his path. Lord Namgung commits suicide rather than fight against Jinha. The only ones left alive were Sullie and her young son, Sung. Sullie does not believe her eyes when she sees that the leader of the assassins was none other than her love, Jinha. She drops the sword in her hand and awaits death with her son. But Jinha turns and leaves.

As Jinha leaves a group of soldiers from Lord Po enters and takes control of the Namgung estate. It was obvious that Jinha was working for Lord Po to rid China of all Mongol lords. Sullie and Sung take this opportunity to escape. But only Sung manages to leave the Namgung estate. Sullie is captured by Lord Po’s men. But Jinha decides to free her and allow her to lodge in her own room at the Namgung estate. It was obvious that he still loved her. Sullie pleads with Jinha to save her son, Sung. But Jinha refuses, so Sullie tells him that Sung was actually his own son. Jinha refuses to believe it and accuses her of lying. They had been separated for many years and she was married to a powerful Han lord after all. But upon hearing that Lord Po’s men had pursued after Sung, Jinha disguises himself and sets out to save him. He then takes Sung to his old lodge by the mountain and have one of his loyal followers guard and look after Sung before returning to the capital.

Later Jinhan upsets one of Lord Po’s men. He is ordered on another mission. But this time Lord Po had plotted to murder Jinha using Sullie as bait. The Namgung estate is set on fire. On the eve of his mission, Jinha is informed that Sullie died in the fire. He immediately returns to the capital to investigate. There he falls for Lord Po’s trap and is poisoned. It was uncovered that Lord Po had wanted to obtain the secrets of the Bichun sword arts all along. Once again it is assumed that Lord Po had killed Jinha.

But Sullie’s brother who had rescued Sullie from the fire knew better. Upon hearing that Jinha was still alive in the dungeons of Lord Po’s residence, Sullie would set out to rescue him. She dressed herself as a dancer and murdered Lord Po in front of a large gather audience. She would have died at the hands of Lord Po’s guards had it not been the fact that Namgung had saved her. Namgung had been living at Lord Po’s residence dressed as a guard, waiting for an opportunity to seek his revenge.

Jinhan on the other hand was saved by Lord Po’s daughter who loved him deeply. She sacrificed her life to suck the deadly poison from Jinha’s body and died as a result. Upon recovering Jinha set out to save Sung who had been pursued by Lord Po’s men. Jinha would then acknowledge Sung as his son and vice versa before taking him to reunite with Sullie and Namgung.

Upon seeing Jinha, Namgung challenged him to fight. Jinha was still suffering the affects of the poison so did not really want to fight. But Namgung insisted. During the duel Namgung sacrificed his own life to save Jinha from a shower of arrows fired at them by Lord Po’s men. Before dying Jinha and Namgung became friends again. Rather than live out the rest of his life happily with Sullie, Jin Ha wanted to seek a place to die. Too many people had sacrificed their lives so that he could live. He also wanted to seek revenge on Lord Po’s men for killing Namgung.

Outnumbered by Lord Po’s men, Jinha fought bravely and defeated them all. He suffered some serious injuries during the skirmish. He was about to journey on with his last ounce of strength when he uncovered that Sullie had followed him. He becomes upset and tells Sullie to leave. But she refuses to go. Realising for the first time that Sullie still loved him deeply, Jinha decides to reveal that he too still loved Sullie. The two embrace passionately in the forest. In the middle of this happy union Sullie is slained by an arrow fired by Lord Po’s son. She immediately dies as a result. Jinha is angered and splits Lord Po’s son into many pieces. But that is never going to bring Sullie back to life. He falls down on the ground and mourns over the death of Sullie.

As he does so, Sung, Sullie’s bother and his loyal assassin friend arrives. They are all shocked that Sullie has died. Jinha looks at Sullie’s brother as if to request that he take care of Sung from this day forth. Sullie’s brother nods his head to indicate that he agrees. Jinha then hugs onto the body of Sullie and pushes the arrow that had slained her through his own body. That way they would be bonded together in the underworld. He gives a slight smile and dies on the spot whilst his son and friends weep.

Rating: 3/5

“Bichunmoo” is a South Korean film directed by Kim Young-jun. Prior to its release this film was widely touted in East Asia as the film to equal the international success of “Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon”, but did not live up to the hype as a result of the poor plot and script.

It was real bizarre story that seemed to go no where. It also missed a major villain that the hero needed to overcome. When Sullie’s father and Lord Namgung died, there was not much purpose in the world left for Jinha other than to get back with his beloved Sullie. But even that the script writers managed to mess up, with un-interesting twists and late introduction of other characters to attempt to carry the story forward. But all it succeeded in doing was to bore the audience even more.

In addition it seemed as if Kim Young-jun had wanted to turn this movie into a ‘modern day silent film’ that you would see in the early 1900s. There was a serious lack of dialogue throughout this film. This placed a heavy reliance on the original music score to keep the audience interested. At one stage 5 minutes had elapsed without a single word being said between the characters. I swear, I thought that a caption would appear on the screen that said “He’s missing her”, “She wants to hold him” or “He’s sad”, like those old silent movies of the past that heavily relied on music and captions to keep audiences interested.

Final word, the only way to enjoy this film is to switch off your brain. Then you can enjoy the colour palette of the film, costumes, original music score, and battle scenes. This is not a “thinking man’s film” where you can enjoy the plot, character development, and interaction between the various characters.
    "Seems, madam! Nay it is, I know not seems!" - Hamlet, William Shakespeare